2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How much do we all get influenced

rkelso184

Just curious here. If this is the wrong section to post this in sorry.

Reading the JR to Honma and now with his clothing deal so many people comment on how there never using these brands etc.

I want to know who actually gets influenced on what to game based on who plays what etc.

I play titlesit gear, used to game ping and when I went to order a whole new bag for a change I decided on titlesit. Mark Crossfield was one reason why as I genuinely like his stuff and he sold me the story that Titleist are a company who care. I like Justin, Smith and Jordan alot and love Scotty Cameron gear (collect putters and covers). I use footjoy shoes and AVX ball so my OCD liked the fact it was all the same also.

Clothing wise I like Oakley gear as I'm a bigger dude and there stretch clothing is really comfortable for me. Not a huge bubba fan and don't even know another Oakley golfer. If I was to choose clothing based on staff players I would be in puma 24/7. Love the gear and Rickie BUT for a bigger dude I don't find the clothing as comfortable and nice TBH.

So yer who else gets influenced by others OR who thinks I'm rediculous lol clubs for me definitely influenced by staff but clothes no way!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't find myself influenced by any pro. My equipment buys for the past 6 years have been used. I'm a tinkerer. I buy used for a price i know I can resell and not lose. I don't think too many pros play any of the clubs in my bag in signature. I think I saw a few TM MG wedges that I use in staffers bags, but that's about it.

Callaway woods (was playing TM until the white drivers)

Mizuno irons

Vokey wedges

Cameron putter

Pretty much the FA bag. I’ve tried others but that’s what works best for me.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

Like the pros, I play what somebody pays me to play which, unfortunately, is me.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

I’m only influenced by ravings on WRX

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I only play what works, no influence from the pros fro me. Nice to see some pros playing what they want vs. endorsement money. ;)

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

I’m only influenced by ravings on WRX

Ping, Callaway, cobra, taylornade, Srixon... all part of my bag. I’m interested in what the pros are playing, but never been influenced to buy one of their clubs because they’re playing it. Clothing, yes, if I see something I like.

But I agree, wrx has more influence on my random ho’ing than anything else. Trying out a ‘16 M2 3w I picked up used right now because of the 3w thread lol.

Eh, it's hard to say how much everyone is influenced because we're all different. Some see tour use as validation, some genuinely have the skill and speed necessary to use some of their equipment, others (like me) don't bother because pros are on a different planet when it comes to their physical ability and equipment needs.

Reading the JR to Honma and now with his clothing deal so many people comment on how there never using these brands etc.

I want to know who actually gets influenced on what to game based on who plays what etc.

I play titlesit gear, used to game ping and when I went to order a whole new bag for a change I decided on titlesit. Mark Crossfield was one reason why as I genuinely like his stuff and he sold me the story that Titleist are a company who care. I like Justin, Smith and Jordan alot and love Scotty Cameron gear (collect putters and covers). I use footjoy shoes and AVX ball so my OCD liked the fact it was all the same also.

Clothing wise I like Oakley gear as I'm a bigger dude and there stretch clothing is really comfortable for me. Not a huge bubba fan and don't even know another Oakley golfer. If I was to choose clothing based on staff players I would be in puma 24/7. Love the gear and Rickie BUT for a bigger dude I don't find the clothing as comfortable and nice TBH.

So yer who else gets influenced by others OR who thinks I'm rediculous lol clubs for me definitely influenced by staff but clothes no way!

Its not black and white. It gets you a test drive.

Its like the silly Blake Griffin or LeBron James kia advertisements. All they are trying to do is get you to remember "Kia" and add it to the list you test drive when you buy a new car. Nobody actually thinks you can drive a KIA in the clouds. They want it in your subconscious.

I love Patrick Cantlay's swing. When he gamed Titleist, I had never hit one before, so when I was in the market I tried the 910D along with some others and ended up going with it.

I didn't buy it "because" of Cantlay, I demo'd it because of Cantlay and liked it. I've demo'd clubs I didn't like then did not buy (because of pros).

Nobody buys clubs because a pro uses them. However, I (and probably quite a few other people) go demo clubs they wouldn't otherwise because they see a pro using them.

To all you saying "pros are on another level, blah blah blah..." that doesn't matter. If you watch pro golf a dozen times a year its bleeding into your subconscious. They don't actually expect you to make the conscious leap of "McDowell plays Cleveland, I'm gonna go buy Cleveland" they want you to be in the store browsing and something in you say "Hm. Cleveland. Solid club." without a justification.

Edit -

There are 20 or so guys at the top of the OWGR who are on another planet. The rest of them are not that far away from a scratch or a +2 golfer's best day. They can just do it every day. If you've ever tee'd it up with some of the 50-125 guys its not jaw-dropping, but it *is* the same thing day in and day out. Its a myth that the 125 on the tour are just so much better than Ams we can't even see them. They are just much better at maintaining under pressure and their much more consistent. But when it comes to equipment (clubhead speed, etc...) those guys on the "back end" are very close to elite ams.

What equipment should I not buy because I can't deal with pressure as well nor am I as consistent as Matt Kuchar? (whose distances and mine are pretty much the same). Keep in mind the difference between Tiger in his prime and the guy who got fired last year is less than two strokes per round.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I play the equipment I find easiest to hit the ball far and straight, only preference to Titleist drivers for looks.

I wear clothes that are good quality and fairly simple. I won’t wear Nike for their support of Kaepernack

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

Its not black and white. It gets you a test drive.

Its like the silly Blake Griffin or LeBron James kia advertisements. All they are trying to do is get you to remember "Kia" and add it to the list you test drive when you buy a new car. Nobody actually thinks you can drive a KIA in the clouds. They want it in your subconscious.

I love Patrick Cantlay's swing. When he gamed Titleist, I had never hit one before, so when I was in the market I tried the 910D along with some others and ended up going with it.

I didn't buy it "because" of Cantlay, I demo'd it because of Cantlay and liked it. I've demo'd clubs I didn't like then did not buy (because of pros).

Nobody buys clubs because a pro uses them. However, I (and probably quite a few other people) go demo clubs they wouldn't otherwise because they see a pro using them.

To all you saying "pros are on another level, blah blah blah..." that doesn't matter. If you watch pro golf a dozen times a year its bleeding into your subconscious. They don't actually expect you to make the conscious leap of "McDowell plays Cleveland, I'm gonna go buy Cleveland" they want you to be in the store browsing and something in you say "Hm. Cleveland. Solid club." without a justification.

Edit -

There are 20 or so guys at the top of the OWGR who are on another planet. The rest of them are not that far away from a scratch or a +2 golfer's best day. They can just do it every day. If you've ever tee'd it up with some of the 50-125 guys its not jaw-dropping, but it *is* the same thing day in and day out. Its a myth that the 125 on the tour are just so much better than Ams we can't even see them. They are just much better at maintaining under pressure and their much more consistent. But when it comes to equipment (clubhead speed, etc...) those guys on the "back end" are very close to elite ams.

What equipment should I not buy because I can't deal with pressure as well nor am I as consistent as Matt Kuchar? (whose distances and mine are pretty much the same). Keep in mind the difference between Tiger in his prime and the guy who got fired last year is less than two strokes per round.

Solid post Pine-I was going to post similar until scrolling down and seeing yours. We are all influenced to an extent by what the pros play and endorse. Even though we do not want to admit it-or even realize it! Name recognition is huge in marketing and if it even just gets you to look it is worth it to them.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I don't pay attention to what the pros play when looking at clubs, as I know I don't swing as well as them and most of them could kill it with just about anything. But what I do listen to, with a grain of salt (more these days than ever) is the input of what people here have found and put in their bag. Granted there seem to be so many more questionable "influencers" around than ever before, but had it not been for consistent and sustained praise here I'd likely have never tried out clubs that found their way into my bag for good, like the Adams dHy, 816 DBD, or the 400Max.

I couldn't care less what the pro's play. In fact, brands like Titleist, which try to sell based on tour association, put me off big time. I realize that most all club companies have some tour pro's using their equipment/gear but it's Titleist which really puts that out front and center.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

This is very much the right place to post this.

Since I very rarely buy clubs new since I'm cheap and want someone else to take the depreciation hit, I usually buy used clubs that have a timeless reputation of superior performance years after its discontinuation. I usually get this information from forums like this influence my decisions. 95% of the time, the consensus is usually correct.

Touring pros playing discontinued clubs also influence me as well, especially if they don't have any club contracts.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

One guy in our group was, 70, thin and balding, was influenced to buy a tall crewcut Ian Poulter wig ($15) and would "take his hair off to you" if you made a good shot. Amusing, but next season his wife was using it as a dust cloth.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

I couldn't care less what the pro's play. In fact, brands like Titleist, which try to sell based on tour association, put me off big time. I realize that most all club companies have some tour pro's using their equipment/gear but it's Titleist which really puts that out front and center.

Yep, I detest ProV1s for that reason, I play the ones I find but I'd never buy one or any other Titleist ball.

On the other hand the marketing strategy of Mizuno also affects me - they don't throw money around like that or make absurd claims, and I like that.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

I remember when the PM grind came out. I was working at a shop and snatched up the first one that was traded in. I like Phil's game, bought his short game book, and felt it had to be worth a shot.

I hate the color orange, so when we stocked Puma gear I refused to touch it. Lo and behold the pants were some of the best I ever bought.

I have always liked the Titleist script on a golf ball. For me, a fresh sleeve of Pro V1s with the number one exudes confidence.

I believe we are all heavily influenced, it is just a matter of being aware of it on a consciuos level. Since so much of the game is mental I say embrace it and let it positively impact your round!

If anything can go right, it might!

i wont wear footjoy because crossfield wears it. with the exception of vokeys, titleist has never performed well for me. bag is mostly free agency, what works for me and who has given me great customer service. (callaway/cobra) footwear/clothing is a mix of adidas and nike because i got deals on it, it's comfy and nike supports the Constitution and Kaepernick.

I have played Ping since the mid 80s, and there were not many pros playing Ping, with the exception of 1 irons, at that time. I have used FootJoy shoes because I like them, and I'm from a town close to Brockton, Mass. I must admit that I am swayed by the number of pros that play Titleist balls, but not by one particular pro.

Think pretty much everyone is influenced to certain degrees by what they see and hear.....whether its TV, magazine, msg boards (look at all threads).....how would you even know about something if you didnt hear about or see it somewhere?

One thing I see more and more of is how people are influenced by others more than themselves.....

But everyone is influenced to certain degree, if you take the game even half seriously

I like watching the pros but they are so much more skilled than me I don't often consider what equipment they're using when making my own purchases. Sometimes I like to check out what they're playing just to see what the best golfers in the world use. If the pros are playing AP3 or AP1, I take note of that and think I probably have no business touching the AP2's.