Question From Senior Golfer

Hello:

I am a 77-year-old who has played golf since I was 10 and was taught by my Dad. I'm a 14 index now @ 6000 Yards. My carry yardage on a Driver is not an inch over 190 yards and I hit my 7 iron 130 yards. So, obviously lost yardage on every club but I'm still as accurate as a Laser Beam and always in play. When you have no length you have to have accuracy! I can hit every club in the bag and hit it well, just not as far as I did in younger days.

I have played Ping G-10 clubs for 10 years, ever since they came out. I thought when I bought them that my playing days were fast coming to an end so I just bought this game improvement set with Graphite shafts, had them fitted by a reliable Club Fitter, from Driver to Lob Wedge and added a Ping Zing Redwood Blade Putter. I had only played Titleist forged clubs prior to these G-10 clubs and with "Hindsight being a perfect science," I probably should have kept the Titleist clubs that I had.

Much to my surprise and my good fortune, I continued to play excellent golf, and I am fit and trim and still weigh what I did in college. I have always been athletic and played Baseball in college and Tennis into my 60s. I had thought that these Pings would be the last clubs that I would own, and they probably will be BUT.....I just wanted to ask, because I'm curious: Is there a better club set that I could perhaps look to buy USED and perhaps gain a few yards and lower a few strokes as long as I'm still playing as well as I am, OR should I just stick with what I have and be done with it? (LOL) I know, I'm probably just being a silly old fool! If I found something that worked better, I'd give my Pings to my Son.

I live in Texas now near my Son, but I was born in NYC and lived on Long Island my entire life and I played at the Bethpage Black 5 course complex on Long Island for over 25 years. I remember back in the day hearing senior players rave about Adams Golf Clubs, but I think they are OOB now. If anybody has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it. I played with a guy who was 87 years old a couple of weeks ago at Texas Star in Euless, and he could still play very well, so I may have a few more years left! :rolleyes:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello:

I am a 77-year-old who has played golf since I was 10 and was taught by my Dad. I'm a 14 index now @ 6000 Yards. My carry yardage on a Driver is not an inch over 190 yards and I hit my 7 iron 130 yards. So, obviously lost yardage on every club but I'm still as accurate as a Laser Beam and always in play. When you have no length you have to have accuracy! I can hit every club in the bag and hit it well, just not as far as I did in younger days.

I have played Ping G-10 clubs for 10 years, ever since they came out. I thought when I bought them that my playing days were fast coming to an end so I just bought this game improvement set with Graphite shafts, had them fitted by a reliable Club Fitter, from Driver to Lob Wedge and added a Ping Zing Redwood Blade Putter. I had only played Titleist forged clubs prior to these G-10 clubs and with "Hindsight being a perfect science," I probably should have kept the Titleist clubs that I had.

Much to my surprise and my good fortune, I continued to play excellent golf, and I am fit and trim and still weigh what I did in college. I have always been athletic and played Baseball in college and Tennis into my 60s. I had thought that these Pings would be the last clubs that I would own, and they probably will be BUT.....I just wanted to ask, because I'm curious: Is there a better club set that I could perhaps look to buy USED and perhaps gain a few yards and lower a few strokes as long as I'm still playing as well as I am, OR should I just stick with what I have and be done with it? (LOL) I know, I'm probably just being a silly old fool! If I found something that worked better, I'd give my Pings to my Son.

I live in Texas now near my Son, but I was born in NYC and lived on Long Island my entire life and I played at the Bethpage Black 5 course complex on Long Island for over 25 years. I remember back in the day hearing senior players rave about Adams Golf Clubs, but I think they are OOB now. If anybody has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it. I played with a guy who was 87 years old a couple of weeks ago at Texas Star in Euless, and he could still play very well, so I may have a few more years left! :rolleyes:

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Your game is quite solid and you are playing better than the vast majority of men your age. And the G10 is an excellent club. That said, the recent spring-faced designs di squeeze out more distance from the same swingspeed.

The Callaway Rogues, TaylorMade P790, Mizuno JPX Hot Metals and Ping i500 and G400, and Srixon z565/585 are all clubs that most likely would offer you more distance. And you also could wait on the upcoming Ping G410 to be released soon. You would need to test them to see what delivers for you.

Good luck. Love your commitment to the greatest game!

Stick with Ping if you like them. I think Ping makes some of the easiest to launch clubs for most people. Try out the G400s or when the G410s release you could try those. The irons will probably seem longer just because most irons are lofted stronger now, but still get the ball up in the air. Don't hear about many people unhappy with the G400 driver. Seems to be a good one.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Apex 3-4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 54° S, 60° K

Odyssey Stroke Lab Black R-Line Arrow

In the10 years that you have been playing the G10’s, iron lofts have become progressively stronger. Your 7 iron loft is 34 degrees as compared to the G400 7 iron which is 30 degrees and the 8 iron is 34.5 degrees. By upgrading you will automatically be a club longer. A 130 yd 8-iron would be a sweet upgrade... Keep Swinging!

Titleist T3 - 9 deg
Ping G410  3 & 5 wood
TM 770 4-PW
TM Wedges - 50, 54 & 60 deg
SC Newport 2
Titleist PV1

I moved from G10 irons to G400 irons and picked up a little distance (7i goes 145 now). The thing I really like about the G400 irons is the shaft, sound and feel. That being said, my scores are no better, but my bag is prettier.

• PING G400SFT 12*
  • PING G400 4h, 5h
  • Callaway XROS 7h
  • PING G400 8,9,W,UW
  • Callaway SureOut 56* SW
  • Odyssey VLine

Take your G10's and have the lofts re-bent to a couple of degrees stronger. G10's have plenty of weight in the soles and hit the ball high so you shouldn't lose much there. No need to spend all that money on a new set of irons.

Callaway Rogue draw 10.5* 44.5"
Ping i3OS Irons 3 thru UW Nipon 8950GH shafts
Cobra Speed LD 15* 3 Wood
Titleist Vokey 56* SW
Ping Karsten C-67. 34"
Snell MTBX

In the10 years that you have been playing the G10’s, iron lofts have become progressively stronger. Your 7 iron loft is 34 degrees as compared to the G400 7 iron which is 30 degrees and the 8 iron is 34.5 degrees. By upgrading you will automatically be a club longer. A 130 yd 8-iron would be a sweet upgrade... Keep Swinging!

So, still hitting a 34 degrees club the same .. but the number has changed..how's that an upgrade?

Why not hit a Rogue iron that's 31 degrees and go even further...

I would suggest you look at your long clubs as a way to boost yardage.

The 9* driver is rather low loft, a higher loft might help. A good fitter can help you with loft and shaft tweaks to help you pick up some yards.

Also, consider going from a 3W to a 4W - the average golfer can hit the 4W more reliably - and sometimes longer - than a 3W. A little extra loft helps.

Also try out a 4H, see how it compares to the 3H in distance.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Simple answer.....move up a set of tees....6000 is no pushover for someone hitting it less than 200yds.....

I understand your reply: Simple answer. But for clarity, I'm a good ball striker. Tempo, width, club set, transition, impact, and release are all sound. Because of my age, If it's really hot or I'm getting tired, the Drives will carry anywhere in a range of 190 to 230 yards but are always in the fairway, so to keep it more accurate, I simply use 190 as a Driver carry estimate. It's my accuracy and my short game that keep me competitive.

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

I am receiving some very good replies and I thank you all very much. A lot of good ideas and very good advice. You have to talk to people who play golf. They won't just try to sell you $2000. worth of new clubs! (LOL) :cheesy:

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Simple answer.....move up a set of tees....6000 is no pushover for someone hitting it less than 200yds.....

I understand your reply: Simple answer. But for clarity, I'm a good ball striker. Tempo, width, club set, transition, impact, and release are all sound. Because of my age, If it's really hot or I'm getting tired, the Drives will carry anywhere in a range of 190 to 230 yards but are always in the fairway, so to keep it more accurate, I simply use 190 as a Driver carry estimate. It's my accuracy and my short game that keep me competitive.

I respect this BUT you said your HDCP is a 14....and if you're the ballstriker that it appears you are, then less stressful yardages are the easy way to lower that cap....you'd have to agree that a 7i from 130 will be easier than hybrid or fwy wood from 175? I'm a beat up 53 year old....already playing sub 6200 tees....lost my distance 10yrs ago....it's not an insult to have more fun with lower scores...

JMHO-FWIW-YMMV

[email protected] into a nice used set of G20 or G25’s. The shafts will be newer, might pick up a few yds that way. Definately get fitted for a newer driver, shafts have come a long way since the G10. No reason you canʻt get it out there another 10-20 yds.

Youʻve been a player for a lot of years, earned the equipment upgrade. Hope to be swinging em that well at your age.

OBTW - if iʻm still an 8 at 70+ yrs old, iʻm moving up a set of teeʻs for sure !! Not going to be 80 and shooting 100.

Take your G10's and have the lofts re-bent to a couple of degrees stronger. G10's have plenty of weight in the soles and hit the ball high so you shouldn't lose much there. No need to spend all that money on a new set of irons.

Blasphemer!

Ping G400 10.5 (9.5*) HZRDUS Yellow Smoke 60 5.5
Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R  
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 54/14
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 58/12

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0 crescent neck @ 33”

TM Tour Response/ ProV1/ Chrome Soft TT

Rony you have me by 3 years. My first golf was my father taking me on a course at 6 and handing me one of his club with a wood shaft.Those were my first clubs until I was 13.

I will make three suggestions. 1. accept that the alternative to playing golf is not good. 2. Check out newer Ping irons. 3. Make sure they have graphite shafts, much easier on the joints and won't tire you out as much.

I play Srixon 545 irons with UST Recoil 95 shafts. No pain or suffering and my 7i is 170+/= carry. Why? lofts. My 7i is 31* loft. Your body and athleticism are great, your tools need to retire, maybe.

I was born in NYC and lived on Long Island my entire life and I played at the Bethpage Black 5 course complex on Long Island for over 25 years

Same here, used to play the black and red 2 or 3 times a week in the late 60's and early 70's. What was the green fee back then, around 10 bucks I think and you still had to sleep in your car if you wanted to play early on the weekend, but it was worth it. Luckily I worked mainly 2nd shift, so i was able to play during the week days without any problems. Those were the days. Now I'm in the same boat as you and I've asked about irons for seniors that gain distance. After some serious reviews and folks offering their input, I've decided to try the TaylorMade speedbladez irons with the flex face. Haven't had the chance to hit them yet, just had 5" of snow here in OK, but as soon as I can hit them, I'll offer a review. The nice thing about them is that they are the 2013 model and the price was right and the reviews were very positive. We all know it's all about swing speed, but if some face bounce can add to generate a little more, then it can't be that bad.

Disco 111: You just made my Week-End! Sometimes, it takes hearing from someone back in the neighborhood to help you settle your nerves and get your feet back on the ground! (I'm from Huntington) I FINALLY found two more seniors to fill out a foursome, which turns out to be the most difficult thing to do when you relocate to a new location at my age! You're searching for a certain level of play, while at the same time seeking compatibility. I found two fellows who could still "hit it" and were almost my age. I won't mention any names to retain privacy, but one of the guys is a former MLB player and actually played for the METS for a couple of years! They both live within 3 miles of me now. The first time we played together he said to me, "Boy Ron, you have one pretty swing!" THAT did it! I remember thinking to myself, "I still have a nice swing, but I wish I could squeeze out a few more yards." Hence the post on GolfWrx! I know now it was just the ramblings of an old guy who was trying to put a band-aid on a scratched ego! When I read your post, I smiled and all of a sudden, felt much better!! I'm just going to keep the Pings, keep the ball in the short grass, and be thankful that at this age, I can STILL hit the "Preferred Drive" occasionally during a "Scramble Format." (LOL) Thank you for the Reply and many thanks to all the other guys who replied. I'm sure they were all reading between the lines, but they were all being very kind, polite, and helpful! You can find some good folks on Golfwrx! :smilie_ping::idhitit:

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

At 68 with some physical issues, I've gone hybrid through the 7. Best thing I've done since getting to be an old guy. Much easier to play, better height, better carry, much more forgiving, I have not found a downside. I'm still around a 6, these clubs save me a shot or two per round. Mine are all Adams, which can be found at a bargain as well.

Hello:

the lofts on the G10s are only about 2* stronger than my old school eye2s and a lot of the clubs that have come out in recent years are almost 2 clubs stronger instead of 2* ie... 28* loft on a 7 iron where yours is 34*...they have been able to work the cg around enough so that the 28* is just as easy to hit as the 34* but flies higher and longer so I would say try out some of the clubs that have been made in the last 3 or 4 years and see what you like... I'm only 67 but I am thinking about doing that myself... good luck

Taylor Made M2 Driver  12* Stock shaft R flex

Taylor Made M2 HL 3wood 16* Stock shaft R flex

Adams A3 OS Boxer  2,3,4,5 Hybrid Pro Launch Platinum R flex shaft

Cobra King F7 One Length irons 6-SW Pro Launch Blue R flex shafts

Putters vary... can't find perfection

I think that you owe it to yourself to go to a fitter and try a more lofted driver, and 4-wood or 5-wood. You might actually gain more distance with a higher lofted fairway wood at your (our) swing speed.

I play a Ping G25 4-wood, which at 65 gives me about as much distance from the fairway as I am going to get. My Ping G25 5-wood is just about as long, and a bit more consistent - but I am stubborn and use the 4-wood more often.

Like you, I started at 12 and played a lot in college, and the years just after.

I will be looking into the G700 irons for a 6 and 7-iron this year; or the i500. I have a G25 7-wood which works just fine, and I can bunt it OK so I don't need a 5-iron; but I might look into a 5-hybrid. Tried a 9-wood last year but the Alta shaft was a noodle, so that didn't work.

I vary between a G25 driver 9.5*, G400 driver 10.5*, and a M2 10.5*. I think that the G25 is the longest of the bunch for me - it might be the shaft. I am going to try a G400 head at 9.5* in the "+" position to see if I can get a little more distance, and a little draw, as compared to the G400 10.5* (which was very straight for me last year).

Keep trying new stuff. You might find something that you really like. It might not improve your scores much, but maybe just a little.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

By the way, there really should be a separate section for Senior Golfers with swing speeds 95 or below, and driver carry distance 220 and below.

Or maybe even swing speed 90 and below, and carry distance 210 and below. Or thereabouts.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I am 74 and play to a 5 handicap. I have been losing a bit of distance, and I can't spin the ball like I used to. I recently changed to Ping i500 with graphite shafts, and the increase in distance and height is remarkable, the result of new and very different technology. But, they are expensive and too new to find a lot of deals on used. It is easier to play golf with a hard-hit 8 iron that stops, rather than a 6 iron that rolls out or misses the green altogether.

The most important club is my driver, and I am always buying new or one generation old. I have not ever heard of a super senior playing a 9* driver. You simply have to be losing distance, either because you aren't able to spin the ball up into the air or because you are tipping your spine so far backward to get the ball up that you can't get forward(?). Most experts rescinded nothing less than 12* for seniors. I play 10.5 to 11.5*. I don't think you are doing yourself any favors with that loft. You need 20-30 yards more on a 6K course if you are going to score well, and you can do it with a more suitable driver or I miss my guess.

I am playing the lightest clubs that I can. I cut my driver down, from 45.5" to 44", and added no weight. Swing weight went from D3 to C4(!), and I love, it. Zero loss of club head speed, and more consistent ball contact with the shorter shaft. My irons are D0, in spite of the fact that they are 1/2" long. The lighter the better!!

I hope that these comments give you some ideas. Good luck!

Edit: I just read more of this thread. You *carry* it well over 200 on a good day? Something doesn't quite add up. If you are carrying it, say, 210 your total distance is 225+. That is plenty far to score a lot lower than a 14 handicap on a 6K course. Take your course scorecard and plug 220 into every par 4 and 5 hole and look at your approach distances and there isn't going to be hardly any hole that you can't get to in regulation, and you are going to have some reasonably short approach shots. I misread your OP to say that your total distance is 190.

There is potentially a few yards available from a few models that succeeded the Ping G10’s (lofts just got a little stronger because launch got a little higher), the problem will be finding a graphite shaft that suits.

There are some older models on close out that might warrant consideration as an alternative to pre owned. Models include the Callaway Apex CF 16, Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal, Srixon Z 765 and Taylormade M3/M4. Unlikely you will need anything less than a 5 iron in these sets plus the wedges can be crazy strong so an appropriate gap wedge is mandatory. Ping’s ultra chunky G Max (maybe the 2nd gen Rapture) is probably the longest of the models up to the current G700

I am 74 and play to a 5 handicap. I have been losing a bit of distance, and I can't spin the ball like I used to. I recently changed to Ping i500 with graphite shafts, and the increase in distance and height is remarkable, the result of new and very different technology. But, they are expensive and too new to find a lot of deals on used. It is easier to play golf with a hard-hit 8 iron that stops, rather than a 6 iron that rolls out or misses the green altogether.

The most important club is my driver, and I am always buying new or one generation old. I have not ever heard of a super senior playing a 9* driver. You simply have to be losing distance, either because you aren't able to spin the ball up into the air or because you are tipping your spine so far backward to get the ball up that you can't get forward(?). Most experts rescinded nothing less than 12* for seniors. I play 10.5 to 11.5*. I don't think you are doing yourself any favors with that loft. You need 20-30 yards more on a 6K course if you are going to score well, and you can do it with a more suitable driver or I miss my guess.

I am playing the lightest clubs that I can. I cut my driver down, from 45.5" to 44", and added no weight. Swing weight went from D3 to C4(!), and I love, it. Zero loss of club head speed, and more consistent ball contact with the shorter shaft. My irons are D0, in spite of the fact that they are 1/2" long. The lighter the better!!

Edit: I just read more of this thread. You *carry* it well over 200 on a good day? Something doesn't quite add up. If you are carrying it, say, 210 your total distance is 225+. That is plenty far to score a lot lower than a 14 handicap on a 6K course. Take your course scorecard and plug 220 into every par 4 and 5 hole and look at your approach distances and there isn't going to be hardly any hole that you can't get to in regulation, and you are going to have some reasonably short approach shots. I misread your OP to say that your total distance is 190.

I just remembered that I have a "Like New" Cleveland Launcher 460 10.5 Driver That I hit really well, sitting in my closet. I intended to use it as a backup and actually forgot I had it. The idea that I had the wrong loft on my Driver never occurred to me. I DO REMEMBER that it was ME that wanted the 9 Degrees of Loft on my Driver when I bought the Ping G10s 10 years ago.! Big mistake, but I was not thinking properly!! I'm playing on Tuesday and I'll hit a few on the Range with the Cleveland Launcher. ALL my shafts except my Putter are Proprietary Ping Soft Regular for Seniors which you can only get from Ping. The Cleveland Launcher has a Regular Flex Shaft, so the testing may not be accurate. THAT may be where the few extra yards could come from. Silly me! PROOF that I am 77! :rolleyes:

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

I just remembered that I have a "Like New" Cleveland Launcher 460 10.5 Driver That I hit really well, sitting in my closet. I intended to use it as a backup and actually forgot I had it. The idea that I had the wrong loft on my Driver never occurred to me. I DO REMEMBER that it was ME that wanted the 9 Degrees of Loft on my Driver when I bought the Ping G10s 10 years ago.! Big mistake, but I was not thinking properly!! I'm playing on Tuesday and I'll hit a few on the Range with the Cleveland Launcher. ALL my shafts except my Putter are Proprietary Ping Soft Regular for Seniors which you can only get from Ping. The Cleveland Launcher has a Regular Flex Shaft, so the testing may not be accurate. THAT may be where the few extra yards could come from. Silly me! PROOF that I am 77! :rolleyes:

Ha! You owe it to yourself to try a Ping G400 10.5 driver with the SR shaft. Heck, you might even find that playing said 10.5* head in the "+" position might even be better!

As it has been 10 years since you bought your last set, your cost per round on your clubs in infinitesimal compared to the rest of us on this site!

Keep the old clubs for comparison, and for old times sake! They work, you like them. Don't let them go until you are convinced that a new one is better.