Bandon - 4 Top 100?

PuttLeftHitRight

^That's it. We all know the ratings are silly to begin with, but there really isn't umpteen places between any of them - regardless of what is offered up as the criteria.

You could get 25 Bandonistas to list their order and it'd be all over the shop, with the caveat that folks would agree collectively they are all top drawer and there is a lot of hair splitting involved.

This is totally true! Except that they are all wrong and my order is the correct one!

1. Old Mac

2. Bandon

3 Pacific

4. Trails

All other rankings are spurious!

Okay Bandonistas - what are the 18 best holes? In other words, if one super-course could be built at the resort was would the 18 holes be?

LOL! OK no where getting into the weeds... or gorse :)

Sadly I've done this already... no to find it - should be here somewhere.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^That's it. We all know the ratings are silly to begin with, but there really isn't umpteen places between any of them - regardless of what is offered up as the criteria.

You could get 25 Bandonistas to list their order and it'd be all over the shop, with the caveat that folks would agree collectively they are all top drawer and there is a lot of hair splitting involved.

This is totally true! Except that they are all wrong and my order is the correct one!

1. Old Mac

2. Bandon

3 Pacific

4. Trails

Okay Bandonistas - what are the 18 best holes? In other words, if one super-course could be built at the resort what would the 18 holes be?

Can we pick 18 holes from all 72 and just slam them together, or should we go sequentially...pick the best #1 from the 4 courses, #2 from each course and so on?

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

1. Old Mac

2. Bandon

3 Pacific

4. Trails

Okay Bandonistas - what are the 18 best holes? In other words, if one super-course could be built at the resort what would the 18 holes be?

Can we pick 18 holes from all 72 and just slam them together, or should we go sequentially...pick the best #1 from the 4 courses, #2 from each course and so on?

It’d be interesting to see how different those two lists would be.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

1 - Bandon (however love how OM eases you into the round)

2 - Pacific

3 - Trails (with a nod to Bandon)

4 - Pacific (however I prefer OM)

5 - Trails

6 - Bandon

7 - OM

8 - Trails

9 - Trails

10 - Pacific

11 - Trails

12 - Pacific

13 - Pacific

14 - Bandon

15 - OM

16 - duh

17- Trails (a nod to what I view as the toughest green to hit on property)

18 - OM (with Pacific about tied; the 18’s on each course aren’t the greatest)

It'd be interesting to see how different those two lists would be.

Gotta be corresponding to the hole number for the courses surely, so a 1/4 sequential choice.

Or that's just the only way my minimal brain power can organize it :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Gotta be corresponding to the hole number for that course surely.

It becomes much more complicated if its a free for all, I agree. However, I will allow unfettered creative freedom in this.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Gotta be corresponding to the hole number for the courses surely, so a 1/4 sequential choice.

You could lump all of the par 3s, 4s, and 5s in separate pools and then pick the best out of each pool. This would get very messy very quickly, but it would net you the 18 best holes overall. It would also lead to a lot of fun debate about how certain people hate certain holes etc. I can see the internet arguments starting now.

1 - Bandon (however love how OM eases you into the round)

2 - Pacific

3 - Trails (with a nod to Bandon)

4 - Pacific (however I prefer OM)

5 - Trails

6 - Bandon

7 - OM

8 - Trails

9 - Trails

10 - Pacific

11 - Trails

12 - Pacific

13 - Pacific

14 - Bandon

15 - OM

16 - duh

17- Trails (a nod to what I view as the toughest green to hit on property)

18 - OM (with Pacific about tied; the 18's on each course aren't the greatest)

mallrat - I like your list. Let me know what you think of mine.

1 - OM/Trails are tied. I like how OM eases you in (as you said). Maybe it was just the day but when we played Trails I found #1 to be remarkably beautiful.

2 - Pacific

3 - Pacific but I'm tempted to go with OM. 3 at OM might be gimmicky or whatever but its a fun and unusual hole.

4 - Pacific

5 - Bandon

6 - Trails or OM

7 - OM or Trails

8 - OM

9 - Trails

10 - Pacific

11 - Trails but I like Pacific and OM here as well

12 - Pacific (thought Trails was good too)

13 - Pacific but love OM here

14 - Bandon (not going to be edgy here by picking Trails)

15 - OM

16 - Bandon, of course

17 - Pacific but only because I hit it in the front bunker. F me that thing is deep but I actually escaped quite nicely and it was a memorable shot for me

18 - OM (agree with you on your assessment of the closing holes)

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Also, for me list, I could be easily talked out of just about any of my selections. There are so many good choices.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Bandon "Best" Composite 18 (Bolds are locks)

304 1: Old Mac - Par 4

162 2: Old Mac - Par 3

476 3: Pacific - Par 5

449 4: Pacific - Par 4

400 5: Bandon - Par 4

153 6: Bandon - Par 3

406 7: Trails - Par 4

299 8: Trails - Par 4

522 9: Trails - Par 5

339 10: Bandon - Par 4

429 11: Trails - Par 4

153 12: Bandon - Par 3

390 13: Pacific - Par 4

332 14: Bandon - Par 4

367 15: Trails - Par 4

345 16: Bandon - Par 4

375 17: Bandon - Par 4

426 18: Old Mac - Par 4

6327 YDS (Green tees) Par 71

If only I put this much thought into my work! And this is based off winter play, so if I'd played my 50+ rounds in the summer it might be different.

Collectively I could take #4 & #7 and have 8 of my holes right there. The collective 7s are sooooo good.

Conversely, #3 and #14 I could take 7 of those 8 and have trouble finding a spot for them on my local $25 muni... OK that's a bit of an exaggeration.

Edit: And yes I like Par 4s.

F.T.

I’m amazed at how many we in common and the agreement on 18. I really like the lists so far.

One thing that is tough for me is #8 on Trails through #14 (even though I don’t love 14) are my favorite stretch of holes i’ve Ever played but individually they aren’t the best holes individually. Just something about being out there in what feels like you are the only group on the course with the options to play each hole completely different and how you see fit. A parkland style setting that can be played as a true links course on the ground or through the air.

Edit... and I absolutely love #3 on Trails

I’m amazed at how many we in common and the agreement on 18. I really like the lists so far.

One thing that is tough for me is #8 on Trails through #14 (even though I don’t love 14) are my favorite stretch of holes i’ve Ever played but individually they aren’t the best holes individually. Just something about being out there in what feels like you are the only group on the course with the options to play each hole completely different and how you see fit. A parkland style setting that can be played as a true links course on the ground or through the air.

When I played Trails I remember thinking “this place is underrated.” Then about ten minutes later I remembered that it’s inside the GD top 20, lol.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

You meantioned OM #4. I hit one of the drives of my life on that hole so it has a special memory for me as well. That golf hole made me feel small.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

One thing that is tough for me is #8 on Trails through #14(even though I don’t love 14) are my favorite stretch of holes i’ve Ever played but individually they aren’t the best holes individually. Just something about being out there in what feels like you are the only group on the course with the options to play each hole completely different and how you see fit. A parkland style setting that can be played as a true links course on the ground or through the air.

8-13 on trails is what I imagine heaven to be like... If I didn't hate 14-18 (with the exception of the excellent 17th) I would probably end up with trails as my favorite.

WITB:

I'm amazed at how many we in common and the agreement on 18. I really like the lists so far.

One thing that is tough for me is #8 on Trails through #14(even though I don't love 14) are my favorite stretch of holes i've Ever played but individually they aren't the best holes individually. Just something about being out there in what feels like you are the only group on the course with the options to play each hole completely different and how you see fit. A parkland style setting that can be played as a true links course on the ground or through the air.

8-13 on trails is what I imagine heaven to be like... If I didn't hate 14-18 (with the exception of the excellent 17th) I would probably end up with trails as my favorite.

^^ my sentiments exactly.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

I'm amazed at how many we in common and the agreement on 18. I really like the lists so far.

One thing that is tough for me is #8 on Trails through #14(even though I don't love 14) are my favorite stretch of holes i've Ever played but individually they aren't the best holes individually. Just something about being out there in what feels like you are the only group on the course with the options to play each hole completely different and how you see fit. A parkland style setting that can be played as a true links course on the ground or through the air.

15 & 17 are class! For my money Trails 4-15 might be the best graded out long stretch at the resort. Bandon 4-6 (4-8, 14-17 too) is my fave short stretch though.

F.T.

15 & 17 are class! For my money Trails 4-15 might be the best graded out long stretch at the resort. Bandon 4-6 (4-8, 14-17 too) is my fave short stretch though.

It might be that I have never hit a decent drive on 15 for some reason so I have never really played that hole how it intended, but it just seems like a way to get from the hoky 14th to the gimmicky 16th to me.

18 may be the worst designed hole on the property. I really love Trails 1-13 but I just think it finishes like a slog back to the clubhouse. Again with the exception of 17 which is a beautiful golf hole.

WITB:

I’m fine with 15,16 & 17 on Trails but not 18, even with the changes.

I think Bandon suffers from 16, after that 17 & 18 are kind of a let down. They are actually perfectly fine golf holes but it’s like a movie where the climax is 1/2 hr before the end.

As an architect it must be quiet a delema to have the bluffs which are suitable to exquisite design and views yet understand that the golfers need to work back to the clubhouse... Maybe it’s unavoidable to be let down on the way in after playing 4 at Pacific or 16 at Bandon. Damn clubhouse isn’t on the bluff to bring the golfers back in on 18.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I think Bandon suffers from 16, after that 17 & 18 are kind of a let down. They are actually perfectly fine golf holes but it’s like a movie where the climax is 1/2 hr before the end.

As an architect it must be quiet a delema to have the bluffs which are suitable to exquisite design and views yet understand that the golfers need to work back to the clubhouse... Maybe it’s unavoidable to be let down on the way in after playing 4 at Pacific or 16 at Bandon. Damn clubhouse isn’t on the bluff to bring the golfers back in on 18.

Having lived for 9 years on the coast of Oregon, experiencing the effects of coastal storms on developed property, I can confidently say that only an idiot would build the clubhouse anywhere near those bluffs.

I agree that is the worst part about the place. the 18th holes just don't stack up to the rest of the property because of the need to bring the walking golfer back to the clubhouse. That being said the greens on Pacific, Bandon and Old Macs 18th holes are really great.

WITB:

I'm fine with 15,16 & 17 on Trails but not 18, even with the changes.

I think Bandon suffers from 16, after that 17 & 18 are kind of a let down. They are actually perfectly fine golf holes but it's like a movie where the climax is 1/2 hr before the end.

Ya I really like 17 on Bandon. I think along with 2 on Old Mac, it's underated due to where it falls in the round.

16 is something else and 18 is a damp squib, so 17 struggles in its own right between those two.

It might be that I have never hit a decent drive on 15 for some reason so I have never really played that hole how it intended, but it just seems like a way to get from the hoky 14th to the gimmicky 16th to me.

18 may be the worst designed hole on the property. I really love Trails 1-13 but I just think it finishes like a slog back to the clubhouse. Again with the exception of 17 which is a beautiful golf hole.

Ya 18 is funky. If our matches are done and/or there's no skin carry overs, you can at least have fun with it by taking it up the right tree line and trying to get to the front of the green. But otherwise it is a boring safe lay it back teeball and then in. The only way it's really decent is into a good wind.

F.T.

Having lived for 9 years on the coast of Oregon, experiencing the effects of coastal storms on developed property, I can confidently say that only an idiot would build the clubhouse anywhere near those bluffs.

I agree that is the worst part about the place. the 18th holes just don't stack up to the rest of the property because of the need to bring the walking golfer back to the clubhouse. That being said the greens on Pacific, Bandon and Old Macs 18th holes are really great.

Oh I know they can’t put the clubhouse on the bluffs - I’m not arguing that they should. All I’m saying is they have their work cut out for them as they lead the golfers back in. From a design standpoint its a losing proposition for them. But that’s just a testament to how great the other holes are.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I think with some more efficiency in communication with booking clients and some slight changes they could disperse the dinner crowds over to Trails and PD's restaurants pretty easily.

That not been my experience. The Pacific grill (PD restaurant) is typically really tough to to get into if the course is busy as it is super small. Trails End used to not serve dinner though (last visit was a 11month ago) and I see they started recently so that could pick up some of the crowd.

McKee's is silly if you have to sit upstairs, as the upstairs area has all the ambience of a high school cafeteria.

I think with some more efficiency in communication with booking clients and some slight changes they could disperse the dinner crowds over to Trails and PD's restaurants pretty easily.

That not been my experience. The Pacific grill (PD restaurant) is typically really tough to to get into if the course is busy as it is super small. Trails End used to not serve dinner though (last visit was a 11month ago) and I see they started recently so that could pick up some of the crowd.

McKee's is silly if you have to sit upstairs as it the upstairs area has all the ambience of a high school cafeteria.

LOL! We end up getting put there over 1/2 the time.

All the floor needs is multipurposed basketball and volleyball lines and a stack of bleachers pushed against the far side. They might as well set up some sims at the far end or a couple of bowling lanes.

F.T.

For sure, there's the moment when the host/ess grabs the menus and begins walking, you scan the main room looking for your table, then s/he turns toward the stairs and you say "ah s**t" to yourself, and mentally accept your fate. Kinda like when you launch a beauty on 3 at OM and it hits the tree and drops straight down..........

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

I think that's why Old Mac is my favorite of the four. We typically play match play when we go to the resort, and I think that layout really shines for match. I think 15 Westward Ho is just a stunning golf hole and it's the last one that works out towards the coast. If the match is close at that point, you have three very solid holes to finish on. Alps gives you a chance to take advantage of any mistake by your opponent and then Littlestone and Punchbowl are my two favorite finishing holes. I don't know if it's because the holes are based off of templates, or perhaps the way the land sits a little cupped and sheltered in the middle of the course, but I like the fairway contours on the "meat" of OM. Not as many of the crazy wrinkles like BD and PC which to me come off a little "tricked up" like that's what they had to do to make a short course (for pace when the wind is really driving) still interesting. Hogsback to Punchbowl is the best set of holes on the resort for me. Nothing against Double Plateau, Eden, and of course Sahara is iconic, but it's not until you crest the hill at the cedar tree on Sahara that you really grasp the property. 1 and 2 and 17 and 18 would almost seem to far from the sea and verging on parkland if they weren't such great holes.

BTW, that's kind of my point, that I think most guys would rather walk in the rain or take the bus over to one of the other restaurants rather than sit upstairs at the pub. So a little more seating at Trails End and PD's restaurant and obviously the now added dinner service, and some added ambiance upstairs at the Pub and they're almost there. I've never actually been upstairs at McKee's but I can visualize it fine from your comments, horrible. Maybe another bar up there would fix it. A sim or an indoor putting green with some stupid slopes and a few Bulls Eyes would be fun.

I think that's why Old Mac is my favorite of the four. We typically play match play when we go to the resort, and I think that layout really shines for match. I think 15 Westward Ho is just a stunning golf hole and it's the last one that works out towards the coast. If the match is close at that point, you have three very solid holes to finish on. Alps gives you a chance to take advantage of any mistake by your opponent and then Littlestone and Punchbowl are my two favorite finishing holes. I don't know if it's because the holes are based off of templates, or perhaps the way the land sits a little cupped and sheltered in the middle of the course, but I like the fairway contours on the "meat" of OM. Not as many of the crazy wrinkles like BD and PC which to me come off a little "tricked up" like that's what they had to do to make a short course (for pace when the wind is really driving) still interesting. Hogsback to Punchbowl is the best set of holes on the resort for me. Nothing against Double Plateau, Eden, and of course Sahara is iconic, but it's not until you crest the hill at the cedar tree on Sahara that you really grasp the property. 1 and 2 and 17 and 18 would almost seem to far from the sea and verging on parkland if they weren't such great holes.

Felt like OM had been there for 100 years when I played. Really admired that feel the course had - its just great.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Felt like OM had been there for 100 years when I played. Really admired that feel the course had - its just great.

Agreed. It's the one lately that me and most of the guys I play with want to play if we're just driving over and getting one round.