2019 USA Solheim Cup Team Predictions

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I secret;y hope Caroline Hedwall makes the team each year and somehow something like a bench clearing brawl in hockey will break out and I could see Caroline hurling girls 50 feet through the air from

I can't be the only one in this forum that thinks this may not be a slam dunk for the U.S. squad. For that reason, and although I hate to give Juli a reason, I could see a benefit in picking Paula as

I figured at least one veteran would be taken, but two, especially when they are all sinking ships, seems excessive. And I'm fine with zero veterans "needed" to be taken. Get more vice-captains if w

BTW, does anyone know why there are such differences in the Rolex Rankings and the Solheim Cup Points lists? Seems like both of these are two-years with the current year being weighted more. Said another way, is there anything specifically the Rolex Ranking is trying to protect against that the points list doesn't do itself (generally speaking)? Clearly, there are some differences but is there any reason why you need to mix two methods?

> @agolf1 said:

> I figured at least one veteran would be taken, but two, especially when they are all sinking ships, seems excessive. And I'm fine with zero veterans "needed" to be taken. Get more vice-captains if we needed people to hold the rookies' hands, pack their luggage, speak in the team room, etc.

This is why Solheim Cup is such a spectacular event; it's not about best players competing mano a mano.

It's all the conjectures, stories, pageantry and most of all emotions.

Long live the Solheim Cup!

> @agolf1 said:

> BTW, does anyone know why there are such differences in the Rolex Rankings and the Solheim Cup Points lists? Seems like both of these are two-years with the current year being weighted more. Said another way, is there anything specifically the Rolex Ranking is trying to protect against that the points list doesn't do itself (generally speaking)? Clearly, there are some differences but is there any reason why you need to mix two methods?

Rolex is affected by strength of field.

Solheim is T20 or better only.

T21 in a major will gain you decent Rolex points but zero Solheim.

> @agolf1 said:

> BTW, does anyone know why there are such differences in the Rolex Rankings and the Solheim Cup Points lists? Seems like both of these are two-years with the current year being weighted more. Said another way, is there anything specifically the Rolex Ranking is trying to protect against that the points list doesn't do itself (generally speaking)? Clearly, there are some differences but is there any reason why you need to mix two methods?

Players only earn Solheim Cup Points for finishing in the top 20. I assume Rolex rankings reward a finish at 25th over a finish of 71st or a missed cut.

MORGAN PRESSEL AND STACY LEWIS NAMED BY JULI INKSTER AS U.S. CAPTAIN'S PICKS FOR 2019 SOLHEIM CUP

[https://lpga.com/news/2019-pressel-and-lewis-named-inksters-captains-picks-for-2019-solhein-cup](https://www.lpga.com/news/2019-pressel-and-lewis-named-inksters-captains-picks-for-2019-solhein-cup "https://lpga.com/news/2019-pressel-and-lewis-named-inksters-captains-picks-for-2019-solhein-cup")

> @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > Okay, Julie this isn't rocket surgery or brain science.

> >

> > Reward the 2 players who came ever so close to actually making the team, Ally McDonald and Amy Olson. No one else even makes sense.

>

> Unfortunately for Olson, she’s also still behind Ernst in the Rolex.

>

>

I may be wrong about this, but I think Amy Olson basically missed qualifying by literally 1 stroke.

• Like 1

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > > @"North Texas" said:

> > > Okay, Julie this isn't rocket surgery or brain science.

> > >

> > > Reward the 2 players who came ever so close to actually making the team, Ally McDonald and Amy Olson. No one else even makes sense.

> >

> > Unfortunately for Olson, she’s also still behind Ernst in the Rolex.

> >

> >

>

> I may be wrong about this, but I think Amy Olson basically missed qualifying by literally 1 stroke.

You're right, the bogey she made on 17 cost her the spot

> @Stooch said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > > @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > > > @"North Texas" said:

> > > > Okay, Julie this isn't rocket surgery or brain science.

> > > >

> > > > Reward the 2 players who came ever so close to actually making the team, Ally McDonald and Amy Olson. No one else even makes sense.

> > >

> > > Unfortunately for Olson, she’s also still behind Ernst in the Rolex.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I may be wrong about this, but I think Amy Olson basically missed qualifying by literally 1 stroke.

>

> You're right, the bogey she made on 17 cost her the spot

She needed a two-way tie for 5th or better. If she hadn’t bogeyed 17, she would have finished in a three-way tie for 5th. Hataoka’s birdie on 18 would also have cost Olson.

> @Stooch said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > > @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > > > Okay, Julie this isn't rocket surgery or brain science.

> > > >

> > > > Reward the 2 players who came ever so close to actually making the team, Ally McDonald and Amy Olson. No one else even makes sense.

> > >

> > > Unfortunately for Olson, she’s also still behind Ernst in the Rolex.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I may be wrong about this, but I think Amy Olson basically missed qualifying by literally 1 stroke.

>

> You're right, the bogey she made on 17 cost her the spot

A case can be made for this player or that player, but anyone that misses qualifying by 1 stroke/shot has basically "earned" a spot IMHO.

> @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > > > @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > > > > @"North Texas" said:

> > > > > Okay, Julie this isn't rocket surgery or brain science.

> > > > >

> > > > > Reward the 2 players who came ever so close to actually making the team, Ally McDonald and Amy Olson. No one else even makes sense.

> > > >

> > > > Unfortunately for Olson, she’s also still behind Ernst in the Rolex.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > I may be wrong about this, but I think Amy Olson basically missed qualifying by literally 1 stroke.

> >

> > You're right, the bogey she made on 17 cost her the spot

>

> She needed a two-way tie for 5th or better. If she hadn’t bogeyed 17, she would have finished in a three-way tie for 5th. Hataoka’s birdie on 18 would also have cost Olson.

>

> @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > > > @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > > > > @"North Texas" said:

> > > > > Okay, Julie this isn't rocket surgery or brain science.

> > > > >

> > > > > Reward the 2 players who came ever so close to actually making the team, Ally McDonald and Amy Olson. No one else even makes sense.

> > > >

> > > > Unfortunately for Olson, she’s also still behind Ernst in the Rolex.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > I may be wrong about this, but I think Amy Olson basically missed qualifying by literally 1 stroke.

> >

> > You're right, the bogey she made on 17 cost her the spot

>

> She needed a two-way tie for 5th or better. If she hadn’t bogeyed 17, she would have finished in a three-way tie for 5th. Hataoka’s birdie on 18 would also have cost Olson.

>

You're right, I didn't even think aboiut Nasa's birdie

> @Stooch said:

> > @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > > @Stooch said:

> > > > > @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > > > > > @"North Texas" said:

> > > > > > Okay, Julie this isn't rocket surgery or brain science.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Reward the 2 players who came ever so close to actually making the team, Ally McDonald and Amy Olson. No one else even makes sense.

> > > > >

> > > > > Unfortunately for Olson, she’s also still behind Ernst in the Rolex.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I may be wrong about this, but I think Amy Olson basically missed qualifying by literally 1 stroke.

> > >

> > > You're right, the bogey she made on 17 cost her the spot

> >

> > She needed a two-way tie for 5th or better. If she hadn’t bogeyed 17, she would have finished in a three-way tie for 5th. Hataoka’s birdie on 18 would also have cost Olson.

> >

>

> > @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > > @Stooch said:

> > > > > @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > > > > > @"North Texas" said:

> > > > > > Okay, Julie this isn't rocket surgery or brain science.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Reward the 2 players who came ever so close to actually making the team, Ally McDonald and Amy Olson. No one else even makes sense.

> > > > >

> > > > > Unfortunately for Olson, she’s also still behind Ernst in the Rolex.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I may be wrong about this, but I think Amy Olson basically missed qualifying by literally 1 stroke.

> > >

> > > You're right, the bogey she made on 17 cost her the spot

> >

> > She needed a two-way tie for 5th or better. If she hadn’t bogeyed 17, she would have finished in a three-way tie for 5th. Hataoka’s birdie on 18 would also have cost Olson.

> >

>

> You're right, I didn't even think aboiut Nasa's birdie

Imagine if Olson had made her birdie on 18 and the announcers saying she’s on the team. I don’t think they realized Hataoka could then knock her out.

The World rankings for the U.S. team are 3, 10, 15, 17, 18, 31, 32, 40, 42, 46, 55, and 79. Median: 31.5

For the Europeans the rankings are 12, 24, 28, 33, 37, 47, 61, 65, 80, 98, 120, and 607. Median: 54.

I just don't see how the Americans could be considered underdogs.

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

I'm disappointed in both pics, really. Both players not in form, both MC's at the Canadian event, Pressel had a good BO but otherwise as already stated very streaky and can leave a partner solo very easily. Plus so short she can be a handicap in Foursomes, imo.

I've made my thoughts known already - let these vets be asst. capt's as they need that experience as well - both as well as Creamer and Kerr (especially Kerr, she has to be the odds on favorite for next Capt.) - all four will be captains at some point. Stack up the rookies - they need to start rolling over the players and get these younger girls some SC experience. Even if it costs the cup one year, it will make the US team stronger in the years ahead.

But, it could wind up like Paula last year, Stacy and Morgan might light it up and make me (and a lot of us) look foolish ;). Or it could be the decision that get's Juli her first loss as a captain.

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

> @tbowles411 said:

> I'm for experience and all, but I'm not feeling good about the picks....

Agree 100%

TaylorMade SIM, 9*, MRC Tensei Pro White - 70TX
TaylorMade SIM TI, 15*, MRC Tensei Pro White - 80TX
Callaway UT 3i, PX 6.0
TaylorMade P7-TW, 4i-PW, DGTI X100
Callaway Jaws MD5 raw 52S, 56S, 60T, DG TI S400
Piretti GOAT
TayloreMade TP5

> @agolf1 said:

> I figured at least one veteran would be taken, but two, especially when they are all sinking ships, seems excessive. And I'm fine with zero veterans "needed" to be taken. Get more vice-captains if we needed people to hold the rookies' hands, pack their luggage, speak in the team room, etc.

Well said. Bring out the fresh blood and put the dried up stuff on the shelf.

I don't mind the captains picks, as they allow the captain to choose a player that may have a hot hand, or possibly a solid rookie that didn't earn points in the previous season. 'Not sure experience plays a huge roll in this event. Some of the most experienced players have awful records in previous cups.

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @Stooch said:

> Morgan and Stacey, some US player who didn't make it aren't gonna be happy getting not picked over these 2. When Argonne makes the Portland thread my this weeks winner is gonna come from Amy OIlson, Austin Ernest and Ally Mac Donald lol.

> @78Staff said:

> I'm disappointed in both pics, really. Both players not in form, both MC's at the Canadian event, Pressel had a good BO but otherwise as already stated very streaky and can leave a partner solo very easily. Plus so short she can be a handicap in Foursomes, imo.

>

It seems like you’re going off what you remember from the last couple years. I think the captain’s pick is particularly to get a player who is playing well now, but didn’t qualify from over a 2 year period. Morgan has more top 10s this year (4) than either Ally McDonald or Amy Olsen, and her CME rank (reflecting this year’s play is better than Olson and close to McDonald. She’s also a proven match play player (she carried Paula Creamer to a top ten in the Dow and has a strong Solheim record). She may or may not have a good Solheim this year, but I can’t see an argument against her pick. I was surprised that Stacy got the pick, but as someone else stated she would very likely easily qualified except for all the time off. And it would have been a hard pick between McDonald and Olson.

(Stooch - Austen Ernst?? She has done nothing all year after one top ten in February! Maybe she will win this week since she hasn’t been able to bring it when the pressure of qualifying was there all season.)

Kristen Gillman should have got a nod, as a rookie she has played pretty well, missed 4 cuts all year, 3 top 10's. Is ranked 2 spots behind Morgan on CME, 9 spots behind her on Rolex, and way more steady. And she has climbed to 64th from 192nd in the world since January, pretty good jump without a win..steady indeed.

> @BadgerLin said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > Morgan and Stacey, some US player who didn't make it aren't gonna be happy getting not picked over these 2. When Argonne makes the Portland thread my this weeks winner is gonna come from Amy OIlson, Austin Ernest and Ally Mac Donald lol.

>

>

> > @78Staff said:

> > I'm disappointed in both pics, really. Both players not in form, both MC's at the Canadian event, Pressel had a good BO but otherwise as already stated very streaky and can leave a partner solo very easily. Plus so short she can be a handicap in Foursomes, imo.

> >

> It seems like you’re going off what you remember from the last couple years. I think the captain’s pick is particularly to get a player who is playing well now, but didn’t qualify from over a 2 year period. Morgan has more top 10s this year (4) than either Ally McDonald or Amy Olsen, and her CME rank (reflecting this year’s play is better than Olson and close to McDonald. She’s also a proven match play player (she carried Paula Creamer to a top ten in the Dow and has a strong Solheim record). She may or may not have a good Solheim this year, but I can’t see an argument against her pick. I was surprised that Stacy got the pick, but as someone else stated she would very likely easily qualified except for all the time off. And it would have been a hard pick between McDonald and Olson.

>

> (Stooch - Austen Ernst?? She has done nothing all year after one top ten in February! Maybe she will win this week since she hasn’t been able to bring it when the pressure of qualifying was there all season.)

>

The problem is that Morgan is NOT playing well right now. She has missed the cut in 6 of her last 8 tournaments.

> @BadgerLin said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > Morgan and Stacey, some US player who didn't make it aren't gonna be happy getting not picked over these 2. When Argonne makes the Portland thread my this weeks winner is gonna come from Amy OIlson, Austin Ernest and Ally Mac Donald lol.

>

>

> > @78Staff said:

> > I'm disappointed in both pics, really. Both players not in form, both MC's at the Canadian event, Pressel had a good BO but otherwise as already stated very streaky and can leave a partner solo very easily. Plus so short she can be a handicap in Foursomes, imo.

> >

> It seems like you’re going off what you remember from the last couple years. I think the captain’s pick is particularly to get a player who is playing well now, but didn’t qualify from over a 2 year period. Morgan has more top 10s this year (4) than either Ally McDonald or Amy Olsen, and her CME rank (reflecting this year’s play is better than Olson and close to McDonald. She’s also a proven match play player (she carried Paula Creamer to a top ten in the Dow and has a strong Solheim record). She may or may not have a good Solheim this year, but I can’t see an argument against her pick. I was surprised that Stacy got the pick, but as someone else stated she would very likely easily qualified except for all the time off. And it would have been a hard pick between McDonald and Olson.

>

> (Stooch - Austen Ernst?? She has done nothing all year after one top ten in February! Maybe she will win this week since she hasn’t been able to bring it when the pressure of qualifying was there all season.)

I generally agree with the Pressel pick if a veteran is desired. I'm not sure if I agree with the logic on Lewis. She may have qualified had she played a full season (with no other distractions/constraints). But what you are buying is now is the 2019 version of her, and the results, while not horrible, don't seem any better than some of the other choices. Maybe not materially worse if you want to weight experience, but net-net I just don't follow it. But honestly, I am also biased - I just think some of her comments in the past are extremely annoying and have no sense of reality.

I also see the logic for run-rating Gilman or Kupcho's play for two seasons and they could have been selected. Every now and then, someone will take a bet on the young player but more often than not it seems to be reserved for the career achievement buddy award (men's game as well).

> @BadgerLin said:

> > @Stooch said:

>

>

> > @78Staff said:

> >

>

>

I threw Austin in cause she was close but my main consideration would be Ally followed by Amy if you wanted to a vetran for experience. I just would have went with some one with lots of experience and truly test under fire like Chritie Kerr. Not sure on the length of the course but if it plays long Morgan could be a liability.

I'm always surprised by the number of players (on both sides but more so Euro) who continue to qualify time after time while never winning during the qualifying period. It seems strange that it continues to happen like that.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> I'm always surprised by the number of players (on both sides but more so Euro) who continue to qualify time after time while never winning during the qualifying period. It seems strange that it continues to happen like that.

I'm not surprised. The worldwide talent has more or less made the SC irrelevant. In 23 events this season so far, only 2 Americans and 2 Europeans have won. Last season was a little better. With 33 tournaments played, the Americans won 9 times, and the Europeans twice. The Korean, Thai, Canadian, Australian, and Japanese players are dominating.

The teams have to fill the ranks with non-winners, or they wouldn't have much of a team.