2019 USA Solheim Cup Team Predictions

> @Warrick said:

> I don’t think a President’s Cup type match up would go as well for the women as it does for the men.

I totally agree.

The traditional rivalry between US and Europe is the thing; golf is just a vehicle.

Whether golf is the best in the world is irrelevant; it's a question of who comes out on top.

> @Warrick said:

> I don’t think a President’s Cup type match up would go as well for the women as it does for the men.

Let's see. The current American SC team vs. Jin Young, Sung Hyun, Minjee, 6ix, Ariya, Inbee, Nasa, Sei Young, Hinako, So Yeon, Hyo-Joo, and Amy. That's 12 players inside the World's Top 19. Do you think there would be a contest?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Stooch said:

> > @BadgerLin said:

> > > @Stooch said:

> > > Morgan and Stacey, some US player who didn't make it aren't gonna be happy getting not picked over these 2. When Argonne makes the Portland thread my this weeks winner is gonna come from Amy OIlson, Austin Ernest and Ally Mac Donald lol.

> >

> >

> > > @78Staff said:

> > > I'm disappointed in both pics, really. Both players not in form, both MC's at the Canadian event, Pressel had a good BO but otherwise as already stated very streaky and can leave a partner solo very easily. Plus so short she can be a handicap in Foursomes, imo.

> > >

> > It seems like you’re going off what you remember from the past.

> >

> > (Stooch - Austen Ernst?? She has done nothing all year after one top ten in February! Maybe she will win this week since she hasn’t been able to bring it when the pressure of qualifying was there all season.)

> >

>

> I threw Austin in cause she was close but my main consideration would be Ally followed by Amy if you wanted to a vetran for experience. I just would have went with some one with lots of experience and truly test under fire like Chritie Kerr. Not sure on the length of the course but if it plays long Morgan could be a liability.

Actually Morgan isn’t “short” any more. Her average driving distance this year is 259.82, longer than Ally McDonald and about 6 yards less than Amy Olson. (Cristie Kerr has had a terrible year. No way she could have been picked-even to hold Lexi’s hand. They only managed a 33rd place finish in the Dow.)

> @18majors said:

> > @Warrick said:

> > I don’t think a President’s Cup type match up would go as well for the women as it does for the men.

>

> I totally agree.

> The traditional rivalry between US and Europe is the thing; golf is just a vehicle.

> Whether golf is the best in the world is irrelevant; it's a question of who comes out on top.

I guess I'm different. The Solheim Cup is nearly irrelevant to me. I'd much rather watch a competitive team event mixed up however among the best players that we all like to follow. On the men's side I could care less if they shut the Ryder Cup and President's Cup down and merged them into one event every two years. I actually think this would be better for the U.S. players, which are burdened playing every year now. But again, these are all just entertained events so run the dogs and ponies out there as often as you can and sell some tickets.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @18majors said:

> > > @Warrick said:

> > > I don’t think a President’s Cup type match up would go as well for the women as it does for the men.

> >

> > I totally agree.

> > The traditional rivalry between US and Europe is the thing; golf is just a vehicle.

> > Whether golf is the best in the world is irrelevant; it's a question of who comes out on top.

> I guess I'm different. The Solheim Cup is nearly irrelevant to me. I'd much rather watch a competitive team event mixed up however among the best players that we all like to follow. On the men's side I could care less if they shut the Ryder Cup and President's Cup down and merged them into one event every two years. I actually think this would be better for the U.S. players, which are burdened playing every year now. But again, these are all just entertained events so run the dogs and ponies out there as often as you can and sell some tickets.

Why wouldn't you care about Ryder Cup? It's the best tradition and almost all the best players.

It's the most watched golf tournament in the world, 500 million, bigger than Tiger Woods or the Masters.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @18majors said:

> > Why wouldn't you care about Ryder Cup? It's the best tradition and almost all the best players.

> Half the players don't even seem to really care about it. And their performance in the event has very little to do with how the greats are actually measured.

Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson haven't played well at the Ryder Cup; does that mean they don't care?

Or may be they just weren't good at it.

> @18majors said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @18majors said:

> > > Why wouldn't you care about Ryder Cup? It's the best tradition and almost all the best players.

> > Half the players don't even seem to really care about it. And their performance in the event has very little to do with how the greats are actually measured.

>

> Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson haven't played well at the Ryder Cup; does that mean they don't care?

> Or may be they just weren't good at it.

I'm pretty sure Tiger's comments about "what's Jack's Ryder Cup record" shows how important it was to him through most of his playing career (these guys seem to care a bit more recently). I think he also said something about "millions" as to why this wasn't his main priority.

The team matches have some other element to them but don't they both have pretty bad singles records as well? Of course, it could be random luck but I don't think that's the only factor.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @18majors said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > @18majors said:

> > > > Why wouldn't you care about Ryder Cup? It's the best tradition and almost all the best players.

> > > Half the players don't even seem to really care about it. And their performance in the event has very little to do with how the greats are actually measured.

> >

> > Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson haven't played well at the Ryder Cup; does that mean they don't care?

> > Or may be they just weren't good at it.

> I'm pretty sure Tiger's comments about "what's Jack's Ryder Cup record" shows how important it was to him through most of his playing career (these guys seem to care a bit more recently). I think he also said something about "millions" as to why this wasn't his main priority.

>

> The team matches have some other element to them but don't they both have pretty bad singles records as well? Of course, it could be random luck but I don't think that's the only factor.

Rory Mcilroy commented that Ryder Cup was merely an exhibition when he's younger; boy, did he change his opinion 180 degree!

Clearly, it wasn't as big a deal until the miracle at Medinah in 2014; but it did start to get big when US won at Brookline in 1999.

You can't argue right now, there isn't anything bigger in golf; and very few in sports.

> @18majors said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @18majors said:

> > > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > > @18majors said:

> > > > > Why wouldn't you care about Ryder Cup? It's the best tradition and almost all the best players.

> > > > Half the players don't even seem to really care about it. And their performance in the event has very little to do with how the greats are actually measured.

> > >

> > > Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson haven't played well at the Ryder Cup; does that mean they don't care?

> > > Or may be they just weren't good at it.

> > I'm pretty sure Tiger's comments about "what's Jack's Ryder Cup record" shows how important it was to him through most of his playing career (these guys seem to care a bit more recently). I think he also said something about "millions" as to why this wasn't his main priority.

> >

> > The team matches have some other element to them but don't they both have pretty bad singles records as well? Of course, it could be random luck but I don't think that's the only factor.

>

> Rory Mcilroy commented that Ryder Cup was merely an exhibition when he's younger; boy, did he change his opinion 180 degree!

> Clearly, it wasn't as big a deal until the miracle at Medinah in 2014; but it did start to get big when US won at Brookline in 1999.

> You can't argue right now, there isn't anything bigger in golf; and very few in sports.

>

It still is an exhibition but Rory initially said it in a kind of dismissive way as he had his sights set on majors etc didn't quite understand all the fuss.

I believe Kiawah Island was when it really got big as the US was absolutely desperate to win the cup back.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @Warrick said:

> > I don’t think a President’s Cup type match up would go as well for the women as it does for the men.

>

> Let's see. The current American SC team vs. Jin Young, Sung Hyun, Minjee, 6ix, Ariya, Inbee, Nasa, Sei Young, Hinako, So Yeon, Hyo-Joo, and Amy. That's 12 players inside the World's Top 19. Do you think there would be a contest?

>

Brooke could also be on the international team. Just to make the team that much stronger.

Anyone else feel that Lewis was just a we support mom's on the LPGA pick? Her record is certainly less than stellar at 5-10-. I'm not sure that is the kind of veteran leadership I would want on my team.> @Argonne69 said:

> The World rankings for the U.S. team are 3, 10, 15, 17, 18, 31, 32, 40, 42, 46, 55, and 79. Median: 31.5

>

> For the Europeans the rankings are 12, 24, 28, 33, 37, 47, 61, 65, 80, 98, 120, and 607. Median: 54.

>

> I just don't see how the Americans could be considered underdogs.

>

>

>

Maybe this?

![](https://t00.deviantart.net/bCI2Ko1ASRUNSdH6X_Ab8sBFNIk=/fit-in/300x900/filters:no_upscale():origin()/pre00/b7a0/th/pre/f/2017/050/e/a/no_need_to_fear__underdog_is_here_in_death_battle__by_gamerboy88-dazmarc.jpg "")

> @Dpavs said:

> Anyone else feel that Lewis was just a we support mom's on the LPGA pick? Her record is certainly less than stellar at 5-10-. I'm not sure that is the kind of veteran leadership I would want on my team.

> Maybe this?

> ![](https://t00.deviantart.net/bCI2Ko1ASRUNSdH6X_Ab8sBFNIk=/fit-in/300x900/filters:no_upscale():origin()/pre00/b7a0/th/pre/f/2017/050/e/a/no_need_to_fear__underdog_is_here_in_death_battle__by_gamerboy88-dazmarc.jpg "")

Maybe. Or, the captains may have a different perspective on things (being a golfer and mom) and think players like Stacy truly would have made it if not for some other life event. I'm guessing Stacy and Suzann will be playing each other in the singles matches. Could be some foul language and name calling equivalent to an NBA game...

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > I'm always surprised by the number of players (on both sides but more so Euro) who continue to qualify time after time while never winning during the qualifying period. It seems strange that it continues to happen like that.

>

> I'm not surprised. The worldwide talent has more or less made the SC irrelevant. In 23 events this season so far, only 2 Americans and 2 Europeans have won. Last season was a little better. With 33 tournaments played, the Americans won 9 times, and the Europeans twice. The Korean, Thai, Canadian, Australian, and Japanese players are dominating.

>

> The teams have to fill the ranks with non-winners, or they wouldn't have much of a team.

Still think Catriona should have paid the LET some respect and chosen someone who plays full time as two of her captains picks, instead of Suzann and Jodi.

• 3 weeks later...

> @Seamus_McDuff said:

> I guess I’m the only one who thinks the Euros have a chance to be competitive this year, starting with the Brits.

> @Argonne69 said:

> Brits? They're ranked #20, #24, #43, and #52. Georgia hasn't done squat this season. Charley admits she can't putt. The stats will tell you Jodi can't putt. Bronte had a very nice week, but her play earlier this season has been meh.

>

The Brits did okay

> @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > I guess I’m the only one who thinks the Euros have a chance to be competitive this year, starting with the Brits.

>

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > Brits? They're ranked #20, #24, #43, and #52. Georgia hasn't done squat this season. Charley admits she can't putt. The stats will tell you Jodi can't putt. Bronte had a very nice week, but her play earlier this season has been meh.

> >

>

>

> The Brits did okay

>

Georgia did more than OK. Jodi's putter once again let her down. I think Charley was lucky to have been teamed with Azahara. Bronte didn't do much until her win on Sunday.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > > @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > > I guess I’m the only one who thinks the Euros have a chance to be competitive this year, starting with the Brits.

> >

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > Brits? They're ranked #20, #24, #43, and #52. Georgia hasn't done squat this season. Charley admits she can't putt. The stats will tell you Jodi can't putt. Bronte had a very nice week, but her play earlier this season has been meh.

> > >

> >

> >

> > The Brits did okay

> >

>

> Georgia did more than OK. Jodi's putter once again let her down. I think Charley was lucky to have been teamed with Azahara. Bronte didn't do much until her win on Sunday.

And yet Azahara lost without Charley. Maybe Ciganda was the problem and she brought down Bronte also.

> @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > > > I guess I’m the only one who thinks the Euros have a chance to be competitive this year, starting with the Brits.

> > >

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > Brits? They're ranked #20, #24, #43, and #52. Georgia hasn't done squat this season. Charley admits she can't putt. The stats will tell you Jodi can't putt. Bronte had a very nice week, but her play earlier this season has been meh.

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > > The Brits did okay

> > >

> >

> > Georgia did more than OK. Jodi's putter once again let her down. I think Charley was lucky to have been teamed with Azahara. Bronte didn't do much until her win on Sunday.

>

> And yet Azahara lost without Charley. Maybe Ciganda was the problem and she brought down Bronte also.

>

Angel was on a mission to make up for her collapse on Saturday.

> @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > @Seamus_McDuff said:

> > > > I guess I’m the only one who thinks the Euros have a chance to be competitive this year, starting with the Brits.

> > >

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > Brits? They're ranked #20, #24, #43, and #52. Georgia hasn't done squat this season. Charley admits she can't putt. The stats will tell you Jodi can't putt. Bronte had a very nice week, but her play earlier this season has been meh.

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > > The Brits did okay

> > >

> >

> > Georgia did more than OK. Jodi's putter once again let her down. I think Charley was lucky to have been teamed with Azahara. Bronte didn't do much until her win on Sunday.

>

> And yet Azahara lost without Charley. Maybe Ciganda was the problem and she brought down Bronte also.

>

I think Bronte was nervous all weekend. And I thought Bronte liked to play fast (correct me if I'm wrong) and it didn't fit well with Carlotta.