Philly Area Memberships

Bre9327

10 hours ago, simsjim215 said:

In a casual conversation with the pro at the club I recently joined, he remarked that the waitlist has increased significantly and his pro colleagues are saying the same about thier clubs. It makes sense as getting tee times on the public courses is increasingly difficult.  Then, once you get one, it’s an entire day’s commitment after the starter tells you “we’re running a little behind”.  

Public courses are closing and there is nowhere for a lot of golfers to go.  This is the first year 12 years that I don't belong to a club and I'm not sure how much I will end up playing at all.  Probably just an occasional weekday round.

On 3/13/2021 at 9:23 AM, Noles said:

Public courses are closing and there is nowhere for a lot of golfers to go.  This is the first year 12 years that I don't belong to a club and I'm not sure how much I will end up playing at all.  Probably just an occasional weekday round.

Rounds were up 40% at my club last year, that's a pretty healthy jump. Trying to get tee times at the local publics was difficult and or expensive and with travel time/course congestion factored in it probably took me 2 hours longer to play public vs. at home. I'd think this would push a lot of guys towards private clubs short term but when commuting, work travel, family vacations, school sports etc. come back into scope there may be a quick reversal in that trend.  

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

On 3/12/2021 at 10:22 PM, simsjim215 said:

In a casual conversation with the pro at the club I recently joined, he remarked that the waitlist has increased significantly and his pro colleagues are saying the same about thier clubs. It makes sense as getting tee times on the public courses is increasingly difficult.  Then, once you get one, it’s an entire day’s commitment after the starter tells you “we’re running a little behind”.  

I'm a member at Yardley, and we just capped memberships and started a waiting list. I think they're still accepting full memberships, as of now, but have capped everything else. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

1 hour ago, Drudersh said:

Rounds were up 40% at my club last year, that's a pretty healthy jump. Trying to get tee times at the local publics was difficult and or expensive and with travel time/course congestion factored in it probably took me 2 hours longer to play public vs. at home. I'd think this would push a lot of guys towards private clubs short term but when commuting, work travel, family vacations, school sports etc. come back into scope there may be a quick reversal in that trend.  

My wife and I were just talking about this yesterday and this is what I am hoping for in a year or two.  I'll make the decision where to join then.

Public golf in the Philly area is absolutely atrocious, with the exception of Glen Mills. 4.5hr times at a minimum (5 on weekend), generally 10 minute spacing.. trash conditions. It's common to see 3 groups (saw 4 last week) on the same hole. Far behind the rest of the country, and mind-blowing that Mills is really the only $100+ public course in the area now that Woodcrest is private (and was overpriced at $125 anyways)... simply don't understand how their aren't more "higher end" public tracks (and keep in mind, there are several "average or lower tier" privates). For such a golf rich area, I find it mind boggling.

TM Qi10LS 8*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Series 70 Flex-X

PXG 0341 X Gen 2 3W 15*, Devotion 75 Flex 04 (S) 

Titleist T-100 (2019) 3-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 Flex S

Titleist Vokey SM9 50* 08F, 56* 14F, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 125 Wedge Flex S

Titleist Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5

4 hours ago, jibbs1082 said:

Public golf in the Philly area is absolutely atrocious, with the exception of Glen Mills. 4.5hr times at a minimum (5 on weekend), generally 10 minute spacing.. trash conditions. It's common to see 3 groups (saw 4 last week) on the same hole. Far behind the rest of the country, and mind-blowing that Mills is really the only $100+ public course in the area now that Woodcrest is private (and was overpriced at $125 anyways)... simply don't understand how their aren't more "higher end" public tracks (and keep in mind, there are several "average or lower tier" privates). For such a golf rich area, I find it mind boggling.

Southwest of Philly Broad Run and Wyncote are both great options but other than that it’s pretty light on public tracks. Philly definitely has a wide gap between quality private clubs and decent public options. Certainly no shortage of private options though. 

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

50 minutes ago, Drudersh said:

Southwest of Philly Broad Run and Wyncote are both great options but other than that it’s pretty light on public tracks. Philly definitely has a wide gap between quality private clubs and decent public options. Certainly no shortage of private options though. 

True, both are nice. Found Wyncote nice but not overly stimulating. Broad Run is a good option for sure. A good hike from center city as a general mid point though. Basically private or bust. Actually surprised there isn't a Bethpage like super-complex for the Philly area... granted no one in their right mind would build something like that now without being in a spectacular landscape (Bandon). Would love if someone could steal Riverwinds away from Jaws and turn it into a Ferry's Point, or something along the lines of Liberty/Bayonne. Bones and views are there. Some stupid routing, and drainage, bunkering issues.

Should mention its a shame Edgmont went down the drain. Some major bones at that place...

Edited by jibbs1082

Titleist Vokey SM9 50* 08F, 56* 14F, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 125 Wedge Flex S

8 hours ago, jibbs1082 said:

Would love if someone could steal Riverwinds away from Jaws and turn it into a Ferry's Point, or something along the lines of Liberty/Bayonne. Bones and views are there. Some stupid routing, and drainage, bunkering issues.

I'm waiting to see what The Friends of Cobbs Creek do to that recently closed course.  Big plans underway - probably covered in another thread.   

Its has - as you said - great bones.  Video commentary has much talk about hijacking part of Karakung and using that land to return the Olde Course to the original routing, and use the remaining holes of Kara for dedicated youth programs (First Tee comes to mind but hasn't been openly mentioned), and a robust practice area. 

There's been speculation about tiered pricing models based on residency and/or distance from the course.. I.E an out-of-towner would be charged premium rates to play at 10:00 AM on a Sunday, where someone from Upper Darby would be charged less for that same slot. 

Given Cobbs' historical role in community golf, I'd like to see this course try to balance the notions of "public" and "premium", without excluding the population that has played that course for the past 100 years (Howard Wheeler and Charlie Sifford come to mind)

Anyone have news about Cobbs?

Edited by simsjim215

Cobbs used to be the course for Public League and Junior championships

As a high school golfer ( Overbrook )- Karakung was our home course and Cobbs was for big matches

The rest of the school circuit was Juniata, Walnut Lane and John F Byrne

I graduated Overbrook in 1969 and none of those courses had motorized carts then

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, miamistomp said:

none of those courses had motorized carts then

As someone who prefers to walk, I love walking all of those courses.  As I get older I've graduated to pull-cart, but still prefer walking. 

The First Tee program now manages (and where possible, staffs) both WL and JFB courses entirely- a welcomed and remarkable improvement over Billy Casper.

Edited by simsjim215

I'm happy that other people have mentioned how poor the public golf here is. I live north of the city and there's not much around that is anything special. Honestly, Jersey has better public courses than anything this side of the river. 

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

Bettinardi BKS #1

18 hours ago, fach said:

Anyone have a recent opinion on Radley Run, Penn Oaks, and Concord? I’d love to put White Manor on the list but it’s about a 20-25 minute drive.

Also, if someone would buy Glen Mills and convert it to a private club, I’d appreciate it.

Concord has done a lot of work on the course recently, I've heard good things but haven't played it since they finished the improvements. Radley is what it is in terms of layout, I like some holes out there but it's a tough track in the wind and punishing off the tee. Can't speak to Penn Oaks as I've never played it but I know the re-did their greens a couple of years ago. Check out Kennett Square Golf and CC as it's in the same corridor and nicer than Radley/Penn Oaks and you won't have the hum of 202 and Rt. 1 accompanying every round like Concord. Good conditioning, decent little Ross layout, good membership. 

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2021 at 7:31 PM, fach said:

Anyone have a recent opinion on Radley Run, Penn Oaks, and Concord? I’d love to put White Manor on the list but it’s about a 20-25 minute drive.

Also, if someone would buy Glen Mills and convert it to a private club, I’d appreciate it.

Agreed. Mills is just begging for private investment. No liquor license definitely prohibitive of that though.

Not a fan at all of Penn Oaks. Blah.

Concord had bones but was not thrilled with it.

Always liked Radley. Greens are incredible. Haven't been for a few year though.

Edited by jibbs1082

Anyone have insight into Philmont and Spring Mill? Which one may be better? I'm only 36 and would prefer a membership with an age range close to that. I don't want a frat house but also don't want to be in a senior dominated club. Also I have a couple young kids so pace of play is big for me. I'd love to be able to just show up, play a quick 9 a few times a week and be home for the family. Both are close to me and decent rates. I haven't played either but am getting a bit tired of the long public rounds in the area these days.

On 3/21/2021 at 7:50 PM, MPAndreassi said:

I'm happy that other people have mentioned how poor the public golf here is. I live north of the city and there's not much around that is anything special. Honestly, Jersey has better public courses than anything this side of the river. 

I used to live in a WWII era townhouse right by Walnut Lane Golf Course and Delessandros Cheesesteaks and loved it.  Cheap quirky golf, stocked trout stream, and the best cheesesteaks in the City all a short walk from my house.  Not to mention my house had off street parking and excellent commutes in all directions.

Edited by burnsniper
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, jls667 said:

Anyone have insight into Philmont and Spring Mill? Which one may be better? I'm only 36 and would prefer a membership with an age range close to that. I don't want a frat house but also don't want to be in a senior dominated club. Also I have a couple young kids so pace of play is big for me. I'd love to be able to just show up, play a quick 9 a few times a week and be home for the family. Both are close to me and decent rates. I haven't played either but am getting a bit tired of the long public rounds in the area these days.

Philmont has been in rough shape the last year or so. They did a deal and sold off some of the holes and rerouted it a bit.  Spring Mill is always good though. Great layout. 

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

Bettinardi BKS #1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 11:24 AM, jls667 said:

I was a member at Philmont for 18 months and Concert ruined the course and club.  I haven't played it in 18 months but still have friends there and my buddy says its still in terrible shape for a private club.  Concert was marketing the club to low end buyers and must have really slashed the maintenance budget.  

Spring Mill always seems to be in great shape but the layout isn't spectacular.  The few times I have been there that atmosphere seemed like fun.  A few guys from Philmont went there and their only complaint is its difficult to get good tee times.  So showing up and flying around for 9 maybe a challenge on busy days.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 4:26 PM, burnsniper said:

I used to live in a WWII era townhouse right by Walnut Lane Golf Course and Delessandros Cheesesteaks and loved it.  Cheap quirky golf, stocked trout stream, and the best cheesesteaks in the City all a short walk from my house.  Not to mention my house had off street parking and excellent commutes in all directions.

Miss those cheesesteaks!!

Joined Spring Mill this year.  I enjoy the golf course.  Conditions are very good.  Speedy challenging greens that are very tough if you short side yourself.  It's a good layout not spectacular.  Some very good holes.  16-17-18 are a tough finishing group.

I have not had a tee time issue.  I normally try to play around 10 on the weekend.  Always under 4 hours so far.  I do think the long term members get the better times!  Fun group of guys.  Not stuffy at all and seems like a good age range.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2021 at 4:32 PM, stevopagolf said:

Joined Spring Mill this year.  I enjoy the golf course.  Conditions are very good.  Speedy challenging greens that are very tough if you short side yourself.  It's a good layout not spectacular.  Some very good holes.  16-17-18 are a tough finishing group.

I have not had a tee time issue.  I normally try to play around 10 on the weekend.  Always under 4 hours so far.  I do think the long term members get the better times!  Fun group of guys.  Not stuffy at all and seems like a good age range.

My buddies like to play early between 7-8am so they are home before 1pm.  It certainly wasn't much of an issue at Philmont but as noted the folks with seniority at SM seem to have the pick of the litter on early tee times.    

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Jaaron42 said:

Anything to know about white manor currently? are the weekends jammed? is the club financially healthy or contemplating a sale?  how is the pool/social scene?  Do people know if they waive initiation or reduce it?

I don't think any private in the Phila region is waiving initiations... if anything, the opposite, and raising them.

I also don't think any of the privates are financially unhealthy either... COVID bought the mid-low tier clubs another decade easily.

One more thing - late spring/summer weekends are full sheets, everywhere.. Golf is crazy right now. If the industry wasn't so gun shy from 2008, I think we would start to see a lot of courses being built again.

Edited by jibbs1082
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 7:05 AM, Jaaron42 said:

Anything to know about white manor currently? are the weekends jammed? is the club financially healthy or contemplating a sale?  how is the pool/social scene?  Do people know if they waive initiation or reduce it?

I toured it last summer and I think the entrance fee was $15K. Right at Christmas they sent an offer out with 20% off and no dues until April. One thing of note is that they want it fully upfront. You might be able to split it over two months; that’s it. 

They are owned by Concert Golf partners so they are financially sound. Have you not looked at clubs the last couple of years? No one is waiving entrances and they almost all have waitlists. 

Any insight on Whitford or Chester valley country club? How are the courses, tee sheets, and social scenes at each? Wife and I are early 30s and looking for a club we can join primarily for golf, but social is a big benefit. I’m not seeing too many great things about white manor here either. Has any of it gotten better?