2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2019 Taylormade Spider X

Mabyboi

Have heard some people say that the insert is firm on these. I'm hoping not too firm. I got away from the PING Voss and went to the Spider Tour for stability and the way the soft insert felt.....We'll see how they roll Friday.

For me it feels like the original WhiteHot insert on the good putts, a touch clicky on the not-so-good ones, but they still get going in terms of pace control

Have heard some people say that the insert is firm on these. I'm hoping not too firm. I got away from the PING Voss and went to the Spider Tour for stability and the way the soft insert felt.....We'll see how they roll Friday.

For me it feels like the original WhiteHot insert on the good putts, a touch clicky on the not-so-good ones, but they still get going in terms of pace control

Thank you for the insight! I definitely liked the feel of the original WhiteHot so that’s encouraging

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

It’s amazing how many people comment on how good the original whitehot insert was.

I’m looking forward to trying the spider. Really like the new odyssey tuttle but holding off until I get to roll the spider. For anyone that’s rolled both, how is the insert between the two.

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

Anytime you’d like to ship mine TM would be great..

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSI2 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

To me it feels like the JD insert; that is, soft.

As someone else mentioned the distance control is exceptional. Rolled them yesterday (with others) and at about 26 or so feet, rolled virtually every put to the hole and within 1 or 2 feet past. The consistency in distance was far superior to the other putters I was rolling.

Size is midway between the Tour Spider and the Mini depthwise. Back wings have been brought inward and I like that look better. Width is the same as the Tour Spider.

Not crazy about the white top in either color but both of them are pretty nice. My PGATSS has almost all flange putters, only 1 or 2 face-balanced ones (and of course I prefer face balanced :rolleyes: ). I could live with either color but since I get to choose I'd probably go for the Navy Blue one.

But $349 ? Ouch. 16% increase must be making up for the relatively small increase for the M5. :lol:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

As someone else mentioned the distance control is exceptional. Rolled them yesterday (with others) and at about 26 or so feet, rolled virtually every put to the hole and within 1 or 2 feet past. The consistency in distance was far superior to the other putters I was rolling.

Size is midway between the Tour Spider and the Mini depthwise. Back wings have been brought inward and I like that look better. Width is the same as the Tour Spider.

Not crazy about the white top in either color but both of them are pretty nice. My PGATSS has almost all flange putters, only 1 or 2 face-balanced ones (and of course I prefer face balanced :rolleyes: ). I could live with either color but since I get to choose I'd probably go for the Navy Blue one.

But $349 ? Ouch. 16% increase must be making up for the relatively small increase for the M5. :lol:

I actually just called my local shop here and they had them in stock. I cruised down there real quick to give them a try. This is MY opinion on them and like a true GolfWRX'er it will probably change with the weather.

....But. I have the Spider Tour "L" Neck now and the feel on the X is a bit firmer but not much. The shape and size of the X is nice but to be honest I don't notice the size of mine when putting anyway. The alignment white panel on the top is nice but again don't notice a tremendous difference from my current putter. They do not offer an "L" neck model to the public yet for the X.....I don't see a change in my putter any time soon just because the price tag is very high. I don't think it would help my game dramatically. Also, what @golfing_penguin mentioned about it feeling similar to the original WhiteHot is spot on. I do not feel that the X feels like the Spider Tour but may feel like the JD Spider model (no alignment). The X put a great roll on the ball but so does my current spider. Distance control was the same between both putters so I cannot comment on a huge difference.

To each their own.....talk to you guys in a week or so when my mind changes :)

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Is it worrisome to anyone else on here that the only person from TM putting this in play is Rory? Doesnt seem to be catching on with the rest of their pros

By that logic, we should then be concerned that the majority of Cameron staffers must hate their new options since Spieth, Scott, Thomas and Fowler are all using older models.

They do. That's why they stick with the better, older models.

I ordered on the 31st, still processing for mine as well. Would love to have mine next week, if the golf gods see fit.

WITB:
*Taylormade Stealth+ 8.25, Fujikura Ventus Black S
*Taylormade Stealth 2 3&5
*Titleist T350 4 Iron, T200 5/6, T150 7-pw (bent 1 strong) Modus 120s
*Vokey SM8 Jet Black Limited 52/56/60
*Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2+
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.

Where are these 'local shops' that everyone keeps saying are available? I suppose at this point its only another day and a half, but I'm very confused. Both Golf Galaxy and PGA SS told me they couldn't put them out until the 15th.

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

Where are these 'local shops' that everyone keeps saying are available? I suppose at this point its only another day and a half, but I'm very confused. Both Golf Galaxy and PGA SS told me they couldn't put them out until the 15th.

I think it is the Mom and Pop stores. They really don't get watched or have the same scrutiny as the big boys. Before release of the X-Forged, I grabbed a set from a local driving range. Owner said it was out of the reps car?

Yes, the X has been at the local driving range on sale for a few days now.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Roger Dunn here in Southern California

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I actually just called my local shop here and they had them in stock. I cruised down there real quick to give them a try. This is MY opinion on them and like a true GolfWRX'er it will probably change with the weather.

....But. I have the Spider Tour "L" Neck now and the feel on the X is a bit firmer but not much. The shape and size of the X is nice but to be honest I don't notice the size of mine when putting anyway. The alignment white panel on the top is nice but again don't notice a tremendous difference from my current putter. They do not offer an "L" neck model to the public yet for the X.....I don't see a change in my putter any time soon just because the price tag is very high. I don't think it would help my game dramatically. Also, what @golfing_penguin mentioned about it feeling similar to the original WhiteHot is spot on. I do not feel that the X feels like the Spider Tour but may feel like the JD Spider model (no alignment). The X put a great roll on the ball but so does my current spider. Distance control was the same between both putters so I cannot comment on a huge difference.

To each their own.....talk to you guys in a week or so when my mind changes :)

I'd think the feel is a bit softer than the White Hot but I'm not about to quibble about how something feels to me vs. how somebody else "feels" the same thing.

But what's the difference between the "Spider Tour" and the "JD Spider" as far as the insert goes ? They're both the same, no ?

Titleist Pro V1X

DJ's (black) putter was with the 80/20 insert. Its described as "firm surlyn" on the site. The JDay version was softer and is now described as just "surlyn".

The new X's insert is supposed to be a thicker version of DJ's as far as I have heard.

WITB:
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.

No experience with the Spider Tour in either insert version, but I currently use a TP Collection Mullin.

Can anyone compare the inserts in the TP Collection putters to these inserts?

I know they're all considered the Pure Roll design but not sure if the materials/feel are the same.

I'm pretty happy with the insert in the Mullin but really thinking about a Spider X if the insert is similar feeling.

I know I need to go hit them in person but I probably won't be able to get to the store until this weekend sometime.

I checked on my order that apparently was guaranteed to arrive by today. TM decided to ship it via road freight and its now not expected till next Thursday :-(

Why bother pre-ordering?

I did at least get to have a hit of one and indeed it feels much firmer than the DJ Spider I have. The feel is a massive improvement in my opinion and overall the look is far more pleasing. I do wish there was an all-black model without all the slight line business which I'm far from convinced with.

Just got the email, mine hi st shipped out, will have it next Tuesday.

Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

What was your purchase date? And damn you....

WITB:
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.

Very surprised at the reviews on here of people saying it's 'more firm' than other models. I just watched a video of me & my golf, at The Kingdom doing their fitting, and saying how much softer it was and even the TM Rep said it was softer. The insert is a little thicker which is supposed to make it softer, not at all more firm. Guess I'll find out when I finally get to hit it tomorrow. I too have a Spider Tour #3 and it's soft. I definitely don't want a harder putter.

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

34 inch seemed significantly better than the 35 with my setup.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

What was your purchase date? And damn you....

2/4/19

Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

I checked on my order that apparently was guaranteed to arrive by today. TM decided to ship it via road freight and its now not expected till next Thursday :-(

Why bother pre-ordering?

I did at least get to have a hit of one and indeed it feels much firmer than the DJ Spider I have. The feel is a massive improvement in my opinion and overall the look is far more pleasing. I do wish there was an all-black model without all the slight line business which I'm far from convinced with.

Firmer than the DJ ? The DJ was the firmer of the 2 "originals", the JD and the DJ.

I have a Tour Spider "Diamond" which has the JD insert and the new one feels just about the same to me.

Titleist Pro V1X

Why bother pre-ordering?

Firmer than the DJ ? The DJ was the firmer of the 2 "originals", the JD and the DJ.

I have a Tour Spider "Diamond" which has the JD insert and the new one feels just about the same to me.

Limited test in the golf shop but yeah it felt firmer to me and really good. It's solid and feels much more like a single body putter without an insert but maybe its just sound. Either way, I really liked it after not really enjoying the JD insert over my DJ one and possibly liking the Spider X quite a bit more. It was still only a 5 min test.

They have got to do something about the headcovers. Release some custom ones or something. There’s so much they could do with the “spider” concept and somehow that’s what they end up with. Good Lord they’re hideous.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S

Mizuno Pro 221 4-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Odyssey Ai-ONE Seven CH | KBS CT Tour
Titleist ProV1

They have got to do something about the headcovers. Release some custom ones or something. There’s so much they could do with the “spider” concept and somehow that’s what they end up with. Good Lord they’re hideous.

Do people really consider the headcovers when buying putters or any other clubs? I don't think I've ever cared about a single stock headcover, ever. But I mostly use custom covers on my woods and putters anyway. Keeps a more consistent look for me.

Anyone know if the Navy will feel different from the Copper like last year with the two different inserts (black vs red)?

I have both here, and have not noticed a difference in the roll or feel with either color.

Anyone know if the Navy will feel different from the Copper like last year with the two different inserts (black vs red)?

Same inserts in both putters.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x

My opinion as a red spider user on and off for a year or more , the blue is a bit firmer. Which to me is better. I like a click at impact. Like the wide white alignment on top too. And the shaft is much better feeling. They are giving some bang for the buck with this one in my opinion. ( shaft being $70 plus $30 for grip plus shipping if you wanted to upgrade a spider tour ).

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Do people really consider the headcovers when buying putters or any other clubs? I don't think I've ever cared about a single stock headcover, ever. But I mostly use custom covers on my woods and putters anyway. Keeps a more consistent look for me.

I have both here, and have not noticed a difference in the roll or feel with either color.

Not a lot as I too use custom headcovers for the most part. Problem with the Spiders are that almost nothing else fits them.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S

Mizuno Pro 221 4-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Odyssey Ai-ONE Seven CH | KBS CT Tour
Titleist ProV1

Anybody see evidence of impending price drops on current models i.e. DJ black?

I like my tuttle flow enough that it's hard to imagine turning it back plus a extra $110 to get spider x, which I know is very non golfwrxian.

Also, re: comments about sightlines on spiders...just personal preferences, better results playing one vs other?

I feel like they help me aim the face but then make me want to force straight back/through stroke vs relaxing with my natural slight arc. So I'm conflicted.