Memorial Park

snagy2000

> @snagy2000 said:

> I've played Memorial hundreds of times and I've never played a 5-6 hour round of golf. For the first year at least, they will limit the amount of play in order for all the turf to take hold and be ready for the PGA in October 2020.

I've only played it about a half dozen times, but it's been over 5 hours each time. Not all at peak times or peak season either.

• 4 weeks later...

Arriving back to Houston on Friday, how easy will it be to get to play when it first opens?

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

As a single, it will not be that difficult to walk on once open for general public play. You will have to wait a bit but nothing crazy on a weekday mid-morning.

Ping G425 MAX w/Kioshi White 6S
TM Sim Rocket 3W w/AD DI8

Ping G425 Hybrid w/AD DI9
Ping Blueprint 4-9 w/SF110S
TM MG3 50, 56TW, 60TW w/MMT125
Ping PLD3
Pro v1

• 3 weeks later...

brilliant news, now how do I get a tee time in advance?

Was at the range yesterday for the last day before it closed and the nice guy who is always there working says it should be third week of November the range opens again.

any other ranges except 50 50 Acorn near by?

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

> @tiderider said:

> doak talks about it a good bit on a recent fried egg podcast: https://thefriedegg.podbean.com/e/yolk-with-doak-episode-15-a-new-course-at-tara-iti-a-memorial-park-update-and-renaissance-club/

Another interview of Doak about Memorial

https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/many-bunkers-add-difficulty-for-average-players-but-are-superfluous-for-the-tour-player

Interesting tweet about the new drainage and storm water capture system:

Gift ideas?  Products I have tested.

FAQ

Welcome to the Newly Renovated Memorial Park Golf Course and Driving Range

FAQ’s To Know:

1. Memorial Park Golf Course was shut down January 9, 2019 for renovation. The Astros

Golf Foundation funded the entire project and commissioned world-renowned Tom Doak as the

Architect. The newly renovated course will host the Houston Open in

October 2020.

2. The Hours of Operation for the Pro Shop (Winter Hours).

Monday – Sunday 6:30am-5:30pm Except Tuesdays

Tuesday- Course Closed for Maintenance. Pro Shop Hours 12pm to 5:30pm

3. The Hours of Operation for the Driving Range (Winter Hours).

Monday - Sunday 6:30am-9pm Except Tuesdays

Tuesday - 12pm-9pm

4. The Hours of Operation for Becks Prime (Winter Hours).

Monday – Sunday 6:30am-10:00pm

5. How do I get a tee time?

Go online or call three days prior to the day you would like to play. Online tee times

open at 6am on the designated day (schedule below). The Call Center will take times

beginning at 9am for the designated day.

Advanced Reservation Times can be made up to 30 days in advance for a fee. There is no lottery

system anymore.

Tee Times will be booked every 10 minutes. Walkup play will only be allowed if a tee time is not

booked or if the players for a time do not show. There is no longer early morning walkup play.

You may book a tee time the same day of play outside 2 hours if space is available.

The Call Center is open 24 hours at 1-866-256-6688.

Go online to WWW.MemorialParkGolf.com

Download our free APP: City of Houston Golf.

Standard booking for tee times begin three days out:

Monday for Thursdays

Tuesday for Friday

Wednesday for Saturday

Thursday for Sunday

Friday for Monday

Sunday for Wednesday

6. Fees: See full list at www.memorialparkgolf.com

7. What’s changed?

The Course was totally renovated with new grasses and a state of the art water retention system.

There are only 20 bunkers were as before there were 54. On the front nine of the course Hole 3 is

now a Par 5 and Hole 9 is now a Par 3. On the back nine of the course Hole 13 is now a Par 4 and

Hole 14 is now a Par 5. New cart paths have been added. The Driving range is now a double decker

with 30 additional hitting spots. Additional parking has been added. Construction will be ongoing

until the summer of 2020.

8. We will be Cart-Path only due to the “grow in” phase of the golf course. Please be

aware that the care of the course, particularly, in this early stage of growth, is extremely

important. It is important as golfers that we sand divots, repair ball marks, rake bunkers, and

follow all golf carts rules. Let’s be good stewards of this beautiful

new golf course.

9. Please keep in mind we now have paid parking. Payment can be made with Credit

Card, Cash or the Park Mobile App. The Park Mobile App can be found in the App Store or Google

Play. The proceeds from parking go to the Memorial Park Conservancy

for Maintenance of the Park.

FAQ

Welcome to the Newly Renovated Memorial Park Golf Course and Driving Range

FAQ’s To Know:

1. Memorial Park Golf Course was shut down January 9, 2019 for renovation. The Astros

Golf Foundation funded the entire project and commissioned world-renowned Tom Doak as the

Architect. The newly renovated course will host the Houston Open in

October 2020.

2. The Hours of Operation for the Pro Shop (Winter Hours).

Monday – Sunday 6:30am-5:30pm Except Tuesdays

Tuesday- Course Closed for Maintenance. Pro Shop Hours 12pm to 5:30pm

3. The Hours of Operation for the Driving Range (Winter Hours).

Monday - Sunday 6:30am-9pm Except Tuesdays

Tuesday - 12pm-9pm

4. The Hours of Operation for Becks Prime (Winter Hours).

Monday – Sunday 6:30am-10:00pm

5. How do I get a tee time?

Go online or call three days prior to the day you would like to play. Online tee times

open at 6am on the designated day (schedule below). The Call Center will take times

beginning at 9am for the designated day.

Advanced Reservation Times can be made up to 30 days in advance for a fee. There is no lottery

system anymore.

Tee Times will be booked every 10 minutes. Walkup play will only be allowed if a tee time is not

booked or if the players for a time do not show. There is no longer early morning walkup play.

You may book a tee time the same day of play outside 2 hours if space is available.

The Call Center is open 24 hours at 1-866-256-6688.

Go online to WWW.MemorialParkGolf.com

Download our free APP: City of Houston Golf.

Standard booking for tee times begin three days out:

Monday for Thursdays

Tuesday for Friday

Wednesday for Saturday

Thursday for Sunday

Friday for Monday

Sunday for Wednesday

6. Fees: See full list at www.memorialparkgolf.com

7. What’s changed?

The Course was totally renovated with new grasses and a state of the art water retention system.

There are only 20 bunkers were as before there were 54. On the front nine of the course Hole 3 is

now a Par 5 and Hole 9 is now a Par 3. On the back nine of the course Hole 13 is now a Par 4 and

Hole 14 is now a Par 5. New cart paths have been added. The Driving range is now a double decker

with 30 additional hitting spots. Additional parking has been added. Construction will be ongoing

until the summer of 2020.

8. We will be Cart-Path only due to the “grow in” phase of the golf course. Please be

aware that the care of the course, particularly, in this early stage of growth, is extremely

important. It is important as golfers that we sand divots, repair ball marks, rake bunkers, and

follow all golf carts rules. Let’s be good stewards of this beautiful

new golf course.

9. Please keep in mind we now have paid parking. Payment can be made with Credit

Card, Cash or the Park Mobile App. The Park Mobile App can be found in the App Store or Google

Play. The proceeds from parking go to the Memorial Park Conservancy

for Maintenance of the Park.

haha, when that email came through today, I thought awesome! then read the price, ouch.

now when can I actually get to play the course, really want to try hard to get on the first couple of weeks during the week.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

They've really turned my off playing there now. I used to play every weekend as a single on the walk on list, and usually was out with the first few groups... Now paid parking, no more walk on list, tee times are call in only. It's going to be a nightmare trying to get a weekend tee time now, let alone trying to get on as a walk on.

I know Mike Nuzzo and the guy that built the place, Don Mahaffey. It's going to be stellar. Don is a genius & I'm sure the course will play firm and fast most of the time. Anyone who ever got the opportunity to see Wolf Point (a Nuzzo/Mahaffey creation in Port Lavaca) is beyond excited to get to play the new Memorial. I have high expectations.

I'm still not convinced that blowing up Memorial and building this new thing was the best idea for Houston golf in general, but whatever - I'm happy to have a Doak/Nuzzo/Mahaffey course in town. It'll be super great once they realize they can charge $140 on the weekend, and get it... won't have to play with any of the proletariat at that point! ;)

Paid parking, LOL.

I am really missing the range, yesterday it was either go to 5050 acorn or Herman park and I couldn't be bothered. If Memorial was open I would have certainly gone.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

> @scott_Donald said:

> I am really missing the range, yesterday it was either go to 5050 acorn or Herman park and I couldn't be bothered. If Memorial was open I would have certainly gone.

I don’t get the hatred folks have for 5050. I’d much rather hit off grass than mats any day of the week.

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

> @"SC-TX 88" said:

> > @scott_Donald said:

> > I am really missing the range, yesterday it was either go to 5050 acorn or Herman park and I couldn't be bothered. If Memorial was open I would have certainly gone.

>

> I don’t get the hatred folks have for 5050. I’d much rather hit off grass than mats any day of the week.

I like acorn 50 50, was there on Wednesday and 2 time last week. Just easier and cheaper to head to Memorial.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

> @scott_Donald said:

> brilliant news, now how do I get a tee time in advance?

>

> Was at the range yesterday for the last day before it closed and the nice guy who is always there working says it should be third week of November the range opens again.

>

> any other ranges except 50 50 Acorn near by?

omg ... memories of the acorn range ... ha! ... hit some balls there, me and a buddy have ...

> @jaybinx said:

> They've really turned my off playing there now. I used to play every weekend as a single on the walk on list, and usually was out with the first few groups... Now paid parking, no more walk on list, tee times are call in only. It's going to be a nightmare trying to get a weekend tee time now, let alone trying to get on as a walk on.

@CougarRed said:

> They require tee times in advance? The horror!

>

> A. You can walk on at Gus with ease

> B. You can make 30 day advance tee times at Memorial for.a small fee.

> C. Or get up 6 am Weds/Thurs and book for Sat/Sun online

well, if you showed up as a single on sat/sun, you were going to get out for sure if it was before 8 or so ... i understand the irritation as a single, but this will be, allegedly, a premier public course akin to bethpage, so getting on is going to be a bit more difficult, as it should be ... that 30 day advance thing is going to fill up too fast to make it a "high percentage" thing ...

> @scott_Donald said:

> > @"SC-TX 88" said:

> > > @scott_Donald said:

> > > I am really missing the range, yesterday it was either go to 5050 acorn or Herman park and I couldn't be bothered. If Memorial was open I would have certainly gone.

> >

> > I don’t get the hatred folks have for 5050. I’d much rather hit off grass than mats any day of the week.

>

> I like acorn 50 50, was there on Wednesday and 2 time last week. Just easier and cheaper to head to Memorial.

>

>

Sorry wasn’t trying to signal you out at all, broadly I hear lots people Complaining about it.

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

> @"SC-TX 88" said:

> > @scott_Donald said:

> > > @"SC-TX 88" said:

> > > > @scott_Donald said:

> > > > I am really missing the range, yesterday it was either go to 5050 acorn or Herman park and I couldn't be bothered. If Memorial was open I would have certainly gone.

> > >

> > > I don’t get the hatred folks have for 5050. I’d much rather hit off grass than mats any day of the week.

> >

> > I like acorn 50 50, was there on Wednesday and 2 time last week. Just easier and cheaper to head to Memorial.

> >

> >

>

> Sorry wasn’t trying to signal you out at all, broadly I hear lots people Complaining about it.

I enjoy the music and the folk who work there are super nice, never been there when its busy though.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

> @kgk said:

> I know Mike Nuzzo and the guy that built the place, Don Mahaffey. It's going to be stellar. Don is a genius & I'm sure the course will play firm and fast most of the time. Anyone who ever got the opportunity to see Wolf Point (a Nuzzo/Mahaffey creation in Port Lavaca) is beyond excited to get to play the new Memorial. I have high expectations.

>

> I'm still not convinced that blowing up Memorial and building this new thing was the best idea for Houston golf in general, but whatever - I'm happy to have a Doak/Nuzzo/Mahaffey course in town. It'll be super great once they realize they can charge $140 on the weekend, and get it... won't have to play with any of the proletariat at that point! ;)

>

> Paid parking, LOL.

Did they ever sell WP? Nuzzo-Mahaffey make a good team, individually it would....be a struggle.

Ping PLD3
Pro v1

>

> Did they ever sell WP? Nuzzo-Mahaffey make a good team, individually it would....be a struggle.

Nope. I've only heard stories, but the consensus is that she's overvaluing the place. You really have to value a private airport, I guess.

https://republicranches.com/landlisting/coastal-prairie/wolf-point-club/

> @kgk said:

>

> >

> > Did they ever sell WP? Nuzzo-Mahaffey make a good team, individually it would....be a struggle.

>

> Nope. I've only heard stories, but the consensus is that she's overvaluing the place. You really have to value a private airport, I guess.

> https://republicranches.com/landlisting/coastal-prairie/wolf-point-club/

Very interesting because the number floated by someone who looked into it was in the high 7's, I guess he could have been full of it but this dude is not known for stretching stories. Good luck to her, I've had nothing but great interactions the few times I visited.

Ping PLD3
Pro v1