Lowest Flight Iron Shaft

ThinkingPlus

I tried to search, but did not find much. My hubby hits the ball crazy high. Very solid, but struggles keeping the flight down. While swing changes would help, he hits it so solid we hate to mess with the swing too much. He currently games S-flex C-tapers. Any lower flight shaft at that flex?

I tried to search, but did not find much. My hubby hits the ball crazy high. Very solid, but struggles keeping the flight down. While swing changes would help, he hits it so solid we hate to mess with the swing too much. He currently games S-flex C-tapers. Any lower flight shaft at that flex?

The C-Tapers are lower flight shafts . How far does he carry his 7 Iron on average?

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Mizuno STZ- 230 22 Hybrid  ,LIN-Q Blue 

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Mizuno T24 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

The C-Tapers are lower flight shafts . How far does he carry his 7 Iron on average?

~160 yards

what Irons does he play ? Has he always hit the ball high with the C-Taper Stiff shaft ?

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Mizuno STZ- 230 22 Hybrid  ,LIN-Q Blue 

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Mizuno T24 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

Actually, what range of shaft weight do you think works for him? That's really the place one needs to start. What's he using for a shaft now?

For the heavier options, c-taper, Steelfibers, DG, PX 6.5's, and Modus 130 are some of the lower launching options.

For mid and lower weight options, the lower launching shafts will generally be graphite - particularly steelfibers stand out. Although if you can find any the older Aldila NV 105 iron shafts were very low launching.

It also couldn't hurt to get some lead tape and try increasing the swing weight a little bit, sometimes that can slow down the release a little and lower the dynamic loft delivered. And if it doesn't work, it's easy to take off.

But just realize, the shaft can only do so much. And if a lower launching (stiffer) shaft results in a less than desirable feel to the player, it can hurt other aspects of the game (shot shape, consistency, etc...) Much of the time it's really generally much more effective to just have the lofts tweaked down to lower flight.

Actually, what range of shaft weight do you think works for him? That's really the place one needs to start. What's he using for a shaft now?

For the heavier options, c-taper, Steelfibers, DG, PX 6.5's, and Modus 130 are some of the lower launching options.

For mid and lower weight options, the lower launching shafts will generally be graphite - particularly steelfibers stand out. Although if you can find any the older Aldila NV 105 iron shafts were very low launching.

It also couldn't hurt to get some lead tape and try increasing the swing weight a little bit, sometimes that can slow down the release a little and lower the dynamic loft delivered. And if it doesn't work, it's easy to take off.

But just realize, the shaft can only do so much. And if a lower launching (stiffer) shaft results in a less than desirable feel to the player, it can hurt other aspects of the game (shot shape, consistency, etc...) Much of the time it's really generally much more effective to just have the lofts tweaked down to lower flight.

He has played well with both lightweight and heavier shafts although the C-tapers are the heaviest he has played in recent years. Really trying to find out if the C-tapers are about as low as we can go in this weight or if there are further options. Know there are limits to what can be done with shafts. New heads will also be considered to help as well. None of this would really be an issue except we have moved to south TX where the wind blows.

He has played well with both lightweight and heavier shafts although the C-tapers are the heaviest he has played in recent years. Really trying to find out if the C-tapers are about as low as we can go in this weight or if there are further options. Know there are limits to what can be done with shafts. New heads will also be considered to help as well. None of this would really be an issue except we have moved to south TX where the wind blows.

What's his launch angle and peak height looking like? Say for a 7i.

We are sort of launch monitor poor here in south TX. There are demo days coming in March which may provide opportunities. On a good strike he hits his 7i as high as anyone I have ever seen (have not been to a tour event though). If the wind is blowing, the ball flight is way too high. In a perfect world he would learn/be able to lay the shaft over and flight the ball down in the wind, but keep the nice high flight for calm days. He continues to work on it, but finding an equipment change to help is always beneficial.

We are sort of launch monitor poor here in south TX. There are demo days coming in March which may provide opportunities. On a good strike he hits his 7i as high as anyone I have ever seen (have not been to a tour event though). If the wind is blowing, the ball flight is way too high. In a perfect world he would learn/be able to lay the shaft over and flight the ball down in the wind, but keep the nice high flight for calm days. He continues to work on it, but finding an equipment change to help is always beneficial.

It's been my experience that people under estimate how high "high" is. PGA Pro's hit most of their irons about 100ft high. So now imagine the peak of your ball height going through a 9-10 story high building's window.

If your hub's ball flight truely is too low but he loves the feel/weight of his shafts, I wouldn't change them first. I would first really find the peak height he's seeing, also backspin and launch... Then see if the lofts could be strengthened first to bring launch and height down a hair. If not... then maybe a ball change. For example... Chrome Soft X flighted much lower for me off irons than TP5X (but TP5X spins less, so wind may not knock it down as much).

At the end of the day, your husband can always just take 1 or 2 clubs more and play knock downs. Playing in strong wind requires lots of shot making.

It's been my experience that people under estimate how high "high" is. PGA Pro's hit most of their irons about 100ft high. So now imagine the peak of your ball height going through a 9-10 story high building's window.

If your hub's ball flight truely is too low but he loves the feel/weight of his shafts, I wouldn't change them first. I would first really find the peak height he's seeing, also backspin and launch... Then see if the lofts could be strengthened first to bring launch and height down a hair. If not... then maybe a ball change. For example... Chrome Soft X flighted much lower for me off irons than TP5X (but TP5X spins less, so wind may not knock it down as much).

At the end of the day, your husband can always just take 1 or 2 clubs more and play knock downs. Playing in strong wind requires lots of shot making.

Understood. In an absolute sense his ball flight may not be super high, but it's definitely too high for the wind down here. Knock downs are a work in progress. A different ball could help. I may slip him a few of my AVXs. They will help.

I may be the minority, but once a player gets fit into an iron shaft... they shouldn't go changing it unless their swing changes. The shaft is the timing mechanism that allows you to strike the ball well. If you need less spin... less height... launch.. Use a less lofted club. At .5HC your husband should be able to learn to execute the required shots pretty quick. Just my .02 ! GL

In DFW...so I understand your plight with wind.

If he was swinging PX 6.5...that suggests that he can handle a heavier lower launching shaft.

PX 6.5 is quite a bit stiffer than C-TAPER Stiff. If he thinks PX 6.5 is too stiff and boardy, you might look into C-TAPER S+ 125.

C-TAPER S+ 125 somewhat correlate with PX 6.0.

I tried PX 6.5 and they were dead feeling to me. I tried C-TAPER S+ 125, and it's the best shaft I've ever played. Even in TX wind.

I may be the minority, but once a player gets fit into an iron shaft... they shouldn't go changing it unless their swing changes. The shaft is the timing mechanism that allows you to strike the ball well. If you need less spin... less height... launch.. Use a less lofted club. At .5HC your husband should be able to learn to execute thshe required shots pretty quick. Just my .02 ! GL

LOL! I'm the scratch around the house. He plays to a low double digit right now. Just starting back to playing again after some health issues. He should be getting back to mid to high single digit pretty quickly.

Depending on what his swing looks like it may not matter what shaft he uses. There are some guys that will hit the ball lower with a softer tipped high launch shaft or a much less stiff shaft. If you release early and throw away the the shaft lean you will get the same ballflight with whatever shaft you use, in fact you'll hit it higher and with more spin than with the stiffer stiff tipped shafts that are designed to hit it lower.

I'm guessing his misses are either pulls and his usual ballflight is a fade that over cuts and dies in the wind. If he was hitting draws he wouldn't have much of a problem with the wind even if he was hitting it higher.

#1 look for the cause.

#2 consider a shaft with a little bit more flex especially around the tip. It will be easier to hit draws (but will make stall flip misses worse) and that draw spin will keep the ball from ballooning in the wind. It will also force him to improve his swing because that super stiff tip won't be there to hold off the face and bunt it back into play.

I'd try shafting one of the irons in an s400. But until he starts compressing the ball with some shaft lean the differences in the flex and profile of the shafts essentially become irrelevant.

Depending on what his swing looks like it may not matter what shaft he uses. There are some guys that will hit the ball lower with a softer tipped high launch shaft or a much less stiff shaft. If you release early and throw away the the shaft lean you will get the same ballflight with whatever shaft you use, in fact you'll hit it higher and with more spin than with the stiffer stiff tipped shafts that are designed to hit it lower.

I'm guessing his misses are either pulls and his usual ballflight is a fade that over cuts and dies in the wind. If he was hitting draws he wouldn't have much of a problem with the wind even if he was hitting it higher.

#1 look for the cause.

#2 consider a shaft with a little bit more flex especially around the tip. It will be easier to hit draws (but will make stall flip misses worse) and that draw spin will keep the ball from ballooning in the wind. It will also force him to improve his swing because that super stiff tip won't be there to hold off the face and bunt it back into play.

I'd try shafting one of the irons in an s400. But until he starts compressing the ball with some shaft lean the differences in the flex and profile of the shafts essentially become irrelevant.

He does not have a bunch of shaft lean. He hits a high draw or pull draw. Anytime the ball goes right it is a straight push for the most part.

I often wonder if anyone actually reads the previous comments before they post.

To even suggest an X7 or a PX 6.5 for someone that currently carry’s a Cally XR Pro 7 iron 160 yards is totally insane.

I agree completely. Also, when I play an iron shaft that is too heavy or stiff, I hit the ball higher than the literature would suggest due to making swing compensations.

I would start from scratch and try to find a good fit instead of chasing something lower than a C-Taper. Thinking Plus, understand that you’re launch monitor poor in your location. Any Mizuno retailers around that might have their fitting tool?

Might be in a catch 22. I think that head normally launches pretty high. If c-tapers don't bring the ball flight down I'm not sure a different shaft will. A different head might help, but will also be more difficult to hit. Might want to figure out if the swing is adding loft. I'm guessing he's a picker rather than digger.

I'll give another vote to try a ball that doesn't spin as much as others. A high ball flight isn't a bad thing if the spin is down, even in the wind. Even shafts labeled as "low launch" won't lower the launch for every player.

I'm a high ball hitter who has been playing C-Taper S+ for the past couple of seasons (after an extensive shaft fitting where I tried nearly everything). C-Taper did not lower my launch at all, but they cut spin. When combined with the TP5x (a high launch, low spin ball), I have a ball flight that launches high, cuts through the wind, and then lands with a steep descent angle to gain control. I actually had another visit with my fitter this morning where we tested my C-Taper S+ against DG X100 again. We wanted to see if X100 lowered the flight at all. It turns out that I launch them the same height, but the X100 spins 500-700 rpm more, which I don't want. C-Taper is the shaft for me.

Give a different ball a shot.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I often wonder if anyone actually reads the previous comments before they post.

To even suggest an X7 or a PX 6.5 for someone that currently carry’s a Cally XR Pro 7 iron 160 yards is totally insane.

I agree completely. Also, when I play an iron shaft that is too heavy or stiff, I hit the ball higher than the literature would suggest due to making swing compensations.

I would start from scratch and try to find a good fit instead of chasing something lower than a C-Taper. Thinking Plus, understand that you’re launch monitor poor in your location. Any Mizuno retailers around that might have their fitting tool?

There is a local Mizuno retailer, but not sure I would trust their fitting. The shop is OK for supplies or used clubs, but not sure I would do a fitting there. We have discussed Club Champion which might be a future option.

Might be in a catch 22. I think that head normally launches pretty high. If c-tapers don't bring the ball flight down I'm not sure a different shaft will. A different head might help, but will also be more difficult to hit. Might want to figure out if the swing is adding loft. I'm guessing he's a picker rather than digger.

Will also be looking at heads at some point probably.

Without seeing him hit the ball or anything else, it's hard to say for sure. As another poster suggested, it's probably a good idea to demo a number of other options to see what else works.

BUT...one thing I've noticed with my own swing is that if my mechanics are off - especially if I start to flip a bit at impact (a habit I've always fought and that often creeps up when my back/hips tend to be a little tired), my ball flight can start getting higher than normal (as I add loft), no matter what shaft I'm using. And when I'm flipping or releasing early, I'll often see my miss become a high pull or a high pull draw. If it's really bad, it can become a pull hook. For a while, I wasn't sure what was causing the high ball flight and/or the high left miss, but now that I know, it REALLY helps me to quickly narrow in on the problem and address it right away.

The funny thing is - as much as I prefer to keep the ball flight and spin down, I actually play shafts that are more mid-launch/mid-spin in profile, the KBS Tour 120s. The main reason I haven't changed (yet) is that those shafts have kept me focused on proper wrist angles and hip turn as I transition back into the game after nearly 10 years away from the game due to kids, work, etc. If I get lazy and start flipping, the ball balloons like crazy and/or I start losing them high left. If I keep focused on good mechanics, I get the boring, low/mid trajectory w/a slight draw, which I prefer. I'll probably bump up to a stiffer/heavier shaft in my next iron set, but I still feel my swing is in transition after getting back into the game a little less than 2 years ago. So for now, the KBS Tour 120s are in my irons.

The other thing I've noticed - especially when I'm demoing shafts (because I do demo quite a bit) that are too stiff - is that I can often early release as I try to load the too-stiff shaft, and sometimes see an even higher ball flight in those cases as well. I even noticed that when hitting the C-Taper 130s in one particular session. As mundane as it sounds, there's no substitute for proper fitting and sound mechanics.

Not sure this will be of any real help to your husband, but it has been something that has helped me tremendously, once I learned what was actually happening with my mechanics. I've noticed a major improvement in ball-striking and distance control over the last 9-12 months as a result.

Everyone in south TX is a picker or is in the hospital with a broken wrist. Based on everything I am hearing here it sounds like there isn't much more performance to squeeze out shafts, but this thread has provided valuable information.

Thanks for all the great information. Greatly appreciated.