Interesting development - $3000 pay to caddy from a $1.3 million winners check? (MOD EDIT - NO POLIT

https://www.msn.com/...axce?li=BBnbfcL

It's on msn.com. Not sure what to make of it but some big names throwing MK under the bus.

If true that's not cool.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kuchar says it's not true I believe him. He seems like a stand up guy.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry18029770

How did that work out? No need to reply.

I was wrong there. It wasn't a rumor per se. Phil seemed to be pretty confident that he would be playing in Paris with Tiger. Before the Ryder Cup he said he'd welcome playing with Tiger and then laughed and said had an idea of what Captain Furyk was thinking.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Multi Millionaire, deal agreed, local caddie or whatever else. That's a 'doooooooooouch' (I really hope that becomes his new crowd chant) offer from Kooch [if true] and his actions speak volumes. He was freely able to to up that 'agreement' after the win and most decent guys would have done so imo - realising the part the caddie had played and his true worth in the partnership.

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

All I keep coming up with is the only confirmed jerk here, IMO, is Gillis, starting something for no apparent reason other than to try and embarrass Kuchar - I mean, really, is Gillis the voice for the alleged downtrodden? Champion of all the caddies of the world? Attention whore? Twitter addict?

Seems pretty free with someone else's money for someone who didn't win the tournament and wasn't even part of the arrangement. Don't see it as any of the rest of the world's business.

Yep. More I think on it the more I ask ... who ? As in who the blank is Gillis ? And what is his motivation here?

People don’t say things like that true or not without an axe to grind. I never heard of the guy. So I don’t know why I need to believe him.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

“realising the part the caddie had played and his true worth in the partnership. ”

Maybe he did. Maybe the caddie did a horsesh-t job and Kuchar won despite the caddie not contributing all week? Personally I doubt he paid the guy $3k, but why do we assume the caddie did an outstanding job? Because he has a fun nickname? He may have done a garbage job all week for all we know. That’s at least as likely to be true as the payment rumor.

Multi Millionaire, deal agreed, local caddie or whatever else. That's a 'doooooooooouch' (I really hope that becomes his new crowd chant) offer from Kooch [if true] and his actions speak volumes. He was freely able to to up that 'agreement' after the win and most decent guys would have done so imo - realising the part the caddie had played and his true worth in the partnership.

According to Ortiz, he hoped to get 10% but Kuchar did not discuss his pay with him until after the tournament was over

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Without giving away any names or figures, I'm gonna try out some perspective on this.

I caddie on Tour, no big deal...my player has status on 2 Tours, PGA and Web.com.

On the PGA Tour I'm paid a base rate, plus a sliding scale of percentage based on finishing position. You bet I want a slice of that purse if we make the cut.

On the Web, I have NEGOTIATED with my player that he pays me a much larger base rate, but I don't get any extra if me make the cut, or win for that matter.

If we were to win on the Web, I would be receive a paycheck that is way less than what most would get for a win.

But that's ok with me, Web money is not going to change any ones life, but more importantly, this is what I have agreed upon with my player in advance. He doesn't owe me a cent more, and in addition, it's really no one else's business.

Point is, I'm sure Kuchar and the caddie had a conversation about payment before the event began, and I would be confident Kuchar paid the caddie the amount they agreed on in that conversation.

It's also no one else's business...although I do understand it's interesting to learn how these things work.

According to Ortiz, he hoped to get 10% but Kuchar did not discuss his pay with him until after the tournament was over

If true he was being naive hoping for 10% (I see a PGA Tour player on Twitter said 10% regular and 5% local/one-off) but even 2% would have been great, actually just 1% is a nice cut.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Without giving away any names or figures, I'm gonna try out some perspective on this.

I caddie on Tour, no big deal...my player has status on 2 Tours, PGA and Web.com.

On the PGA Tour I'm paid a base rate, plus a sliding scale of percentage based on finishing position. You bet I want a slice of that purse if we make the cut.

On the Web, I have NEGOTIATED with my player that he pays me a much larger base rate, but I don't get any extra if me make the cut, or win for that matter.

If we were to win on the Web, I would be receive a paycheck that is way less than what most would get for a win.

But that's ok with me, Web money is not going to change any ones life, but more importantly, this is what I have agreed upon with my player in advance. He doesn't owe me a cent more, and in addition, it's really no one else's business.

Point is, I'm sure Kuchar and the caddie had a conversation about payment before the event began, and I would be confident Kuchar paid the caddie the amount they agreed on in advance.

That seems like a pretty good way to treat a caddie.

According to Kuchar’s caddie, they did not discuss his pay until after the tournament was over. A few pages back, another member said he was in the same position where he caddied for a Tour member last summer and didn’t discuss his pay and ended up getting around 2% of his winnings.

Gillis says that he would pay a local 5% of his winnings and he wouldn’t give him 10% if he won.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Point is, I'm sure Kuchar and the caddie had a conversation about payment before the event began, and I would be confident Kuchar paid the caddie the amount they agreed on in that conversation.

It's also no one else's business...although I do understand it's interesting to learn how these things work.

Do written caddy agreements exist at all? Given the scale of money in elite golf now you'd expect there to be written agreements. I'm sure players don't agree to any of their contracts with only a hand shake but do caddy contracts exist? For example, does Tiger's caddy have a "contract"? Lots of friends and relatives caddying so I guess there is just verbal agreements.

It's been pointed out that with the win Kuchar got into TOC and Masters (guaranteed money at both events) plus all his contracts with regards to OWGR bonuses etc. would have really benefited from that win.

Yes it's true it really isn't anyone's business but it does look the caddy was stiffed hence the interest and outrage. You think with a win Kuchar would have taken care of him.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Point is, I'm sure Kuchar and the caddie had a conversation about payment before the event began, and I would be confident Kuchar paid the caddie the amount they agreed on in advance.

According to Kuchar's caddie, they did not discuss his pay until after the tournament was over. A few pages back, another member said he was in the same position where he caddied for a Tour member last summer and didn't discuss his pay and ended up getting around 2% of his winnings.

Gillis says that he would pay a local 5% of his winnings and he wouldn't give him 10% if he won.

Yeah, the moral of the story is it needs to be discussed ahead of time. Easy to say, but if you're a rookie you may be intimidated by this or maybe you're just happy you have the job and hope the player will do the right thing. Players often don't do the right thing.

This tournament has been in Mayakoba for a while now, the caddie in question is supposedly the main man in the caddie yard, I'm fairly certain he's no dummy and knows how it all works.

Do written caddy agreements exist at all? Given the scale of money in elite golf now you'd expect there to be written agreements. I'm sure players don't agree to any of their contracts with only a hand shake but do caddy contracts exist? For example, does Tiger's caddy have a "contract"? Lots of friends and relatives caddying so I guess there is just verbal agreements.

It's been pointed out that with the win Kuchar got into TOC and Masters (guaranteed money at both events) plus all his contracts with regards to OWGR bonuses etc. would have really benefited from that win.

Yes it's true it really isn't anyone's business but it does look the caddy was stiffed hence the interest and outrage. You think with a win Kuchar would have taken care of him.

I don't know of any written contracts. I would say that with all "lower" level caddies if a caddie tried to introduce a written agreement talks would fall through haha.

First to admit this is like teen gossip and I'm an old man by comparison. ?‍♂️ But I swear I remember reading a post on golfwrx some years ago that suggested Kuch isn't the sunny aw shucks guy his image strongly suggests. But I didn't really think much of it. This situation IS just speculation but it caught my eye that someone included Alan Shipnuck in a tweet and he replied. His word isn't proof either, but for him to weigh in at all is very interesting to me.

"I haven’t delved into this but it has the ring of truth."

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

According to Kuchar's caddie, they did not discuss his pay until after the tournament was over. A few pages back, another member said he was in the same position where he caddied for a Tour member last summer and didn't discuss his pay and ended up getting around 2% of his winnings.

Gillis says that he would pay a local 5% of his winnings and he wouldn't give him 10% if he won.

Yeah, the moral of the story is it needs to be discussed ahead of time. Easy to say, but if you're a rookie you may be intimidated by this or maybe you're just happy you have the job and hope the player will do the right thing. Players often don't do the right thing.

This tournament has been in Mayakoba for a while now, the caddie in question is supposedly the main man in the caddie yard, I'm fairly certain he's no dummy and knows how it all works.

If don’t think Ortiz knows how it works. Based on Bamberger’s quotes, Ortiz was hoping for 10%.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

If don't think Ortiz knows how it works. Based on Bamberger's quotes, Ortiz was hoping for 10%.

That's kind of the problem, these's a lot of speculation, no one really knows. I would hope my player throws me a couple of grand if we win too, but he is under no obligation to do so.

not 10% for sure. thought Tiger was cheap but this breaks all the rules of sportsmanship.

should be 5% for a local caddy

multimillionaire vs local caddy... come on kutchar...this is looooowww .

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Let’s see how many hreads we can get going on this.

I’ve found 4 so far.

OK Kramer, you win the contest. ;-)

I could only find it in 3, but I guarantee I'll keep looking, lol.

Looking for those "big names" throwing him under the bus, too. It's a gloomy Sunday morning.

Edit: LOL, never thought to look in the equipment forum - I see some dipstick started it twice.

It was reported that the caddie received a pair of Sketchers also... So he's got that going for him.

And once he put them on he was on the hook for 36 holes.

That got me to thinking about Sketchers and all the rest of Kuch's sponsors.

This rumour will surely be on someone's desk by 8AM Monday.

I would expect at least some of them to want to delve into it, just a little. A call to Kuch perhaps?

Yeah, it's unsubstantiated, but you really don't want your product represented by a guy who'd do something like that.

That's kind of the problem, these's a lot of speculation, no one really knows. I would hope my player throws me a couple of grand if we win too, but he is under no obligation to do so.

Unfortunately Kuchar's kind of wooly response yesterday only helped to fuel the flames. Twitter can be an out of control monster of information which is rarely based on facts.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]