Roast My Swing (Two Monte lessons later)

Moshjean

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @Moshjean said:

> > Me: “Monte it’s crazy that you knew all the changes I need to make after 5 minutes of warming up”

> >

> > Monte: “I knew after one swing”

>

> Perhaps the amazing Monte should charge by the minute.

Already the best value in golf IMO.

You should see him if you ever get the chance, there's an outside chance you might get better lol

• Like 1

> @Moshjean said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > > @Moshjean said:

> > > Me: “Monte it’s crazy that you knew all the changes I need to make after 5 minutes of warming up”

> > >

> > > Monte: “I knew after one swing”

> >

> > Perhaps the amazing Monte should charge by the minute.

>

> Already the best value in golf IMO.

> You should see him if you ever get the chance, there's an outside chance you might get better lol

In my case, it’s not a lack of knowledge, it’s a lack of talent.

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @Moshjean said:

> > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > @Moshjean said:

> > > > Me: “Monte it’s crazy that you knew all the changes I need to make after 5 minutes of warming up”

> > > >

> > > > Monte: “I knew after one swing”

> > >

> > > Perhaps the amazing Monte should charge by the minute.

> >

> > Already the best value in golf IMO.

> > You should see him if you ever get the chance, there's an outside chance you might get better lol

> In my case, it’s not a lack of knowledge, it’s a lack of talent.

>

I seriously doubt that. Maybe a lack of diligence in purposeful practice.

> @Moshjean said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > > @Moshjean said:

> > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > @Moshjean said:

> > > > > Me: “Monte it’s crazy that you knew all the changes I need to make after 5 minutes of warming up”

> > > > >

> > > > > Monte: “I knew after one swing”

> > > >

> > > > Perhaps the amazing Monte should charge by the minute.

> > >

> > > Already the best value in golf IMO.

> > > You should see him if you ever get the chance, there's an outside chance you might get better lol

> > In my case, it’s not a lack of knowledge, it’s a lack of talent.

> >

>

> I seriously doubt that. Maybe a lack of diligence in purposeful practice.

Ha! If you only knew me.

Progress looks good... Are you still working on trying to get the shaft more vertical during your takeaway? That seems like the low hanging fruit here.

Curious what Monte is choosing to focus on with you.

Keep at it!

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @Moshjean said:

> > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > @Moshjean said:

> > > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > > @Moshjean said:

> > > > > > Me: “Monte it’s crazy that you knew all the changes I need to make after 5 minutes of warming up”

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Monte: “I knew after one swing”

> > > > >

> > > > > Perhaps the amazing Monte should charge by the minute.

> > > >

> > > > Already the best value in golf IMO.

> > > > You should see him if you ever get the chance, there's an outside chance you might get better lol

> > > In my case, it’s not a lack of knowledge, it’s a lack of talent.

> > >

> >

> > I seriously doubt that. Maybe a lack of diligence in purposeful practice.

>

> Ha! If you only knew me.

Either

A: You need to see a different instructor or you aren't practicing the instruction your teacher is giving you during your lessons.

B: You are too stubborn to let go of your bad habits and move on. Change is hard to embrace

> @Rohlio said:

> Progress looks good... Are you still working on trying to get the shaft more vertical during your takeaway? That seems like the low hanging fruit here.

>

> Curious what Monte is choosing to focus on with you.

>

> Keep at it!

Hit the nail on the head.

Working the shaft more vertically in the backswing, not allowing it to hit an imaginary wall a foot or so behind me.

Get the wrists working properly in transition (bowing instead of cupping)

And nuke it

> @Moshjean said:

> > @Rohlio said:

> > Progress looks good... Are you still working on trying to get the shaft more vertical during your takeaway? That seems like the low hanging fruit here.

> >

> > Curious what Monte is choosing to focus on with you.

> >

> > Keep at it!

>

> Hit the nail on the head.

> Working the shaft more vertically in the backswing, not allowing it to hit an imaginary wall a foot or so behind me.

> Get the wrists working properly in transition (bowing instead of cupping)

> And nuke it

>

Does vertical wrist hinge feel weird to you? Seems the easy way to get this done.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

> @Rohlio said:

> > @Moshjean said:

> > > @Rohlio said:

> > > Progress looks good... Are you still working on trying to get the shaft more vertical during your takeaway? That seems like the low hanging fruit here.

> > >

> > > Curious what Monte is choosing to focus on with you.

> > >

> > > Keep at it!

> >

> > Hit the nail on the head.

> > Working the shaft more vertically in the backswing, not allowing it to hit an imaginary wall a foot or so behind me.

> > Get the wrists working properly in transition (bowing instead of cupping)

> > And nuke it

> >

>

> Does vertical wrist hinge feel weird to you? Seems the easy way to get this done.

Not really, when I first started playing I had a Ryan Moore esque backswing. It definitely felt foreign at first and the first couple rounds I had no idea where the ball was going to go.

Big thing I see is the right shoulder is not internally rotated at the top of the swing. I think if you focused on that the takeaway issues would resolve that. From there, still need to work on your backswing pivot and tilts.

RH

• 3 weeks later...

> @Moshjean said:

>

>

> Still need to work and cleanup my backswing, swing changes are tough.

> I’ll be happy when I can trust my swing 100% and focus on playing golf not golf swing.

> Hitting the ball much better and taking shallower divots is a win in my book.

Dude it looks really good, so much better anyways. Keep grindin and those changes will become second nature, but you are definately on the right track

> @Red4282 said:

> > @Moshjean said:

> >

> >

> > Still need to work and cleanup my backswing, swing changes are tough.

> > I’ll be happy when I can trust my swing 100% and focus on playing golf not golf swing.

> > Hitting the ball much better and taking shallower divots is a win in my book.

>

> Dude it looks really good, so much better anyways. Keep grindin and those changes will become second nature, but you are definately on the right track

Thank you for the words of encouragement

Definite improvement. Keep listening to Monte. You pay money for good instruction. Bad instruction is free. You should have one voice in your head. Monte is the one that knows your swing and the path you need to be on. Pay attention to Monte's voice.

Sorry for the interruption but I'll never understand why someone asks for free advice from strangers when they are paying for good advice from a professional.

> @otto6457 said:

> Definite improvement. Keep listening to Monte. You pay money for good instruction. Bad instruction is free. You should have one voice in your head. Monte is the one that knows your swing and the path you need to be on. Pay attention to Monte's voice.

>

> Sorry for the interruption but I'll never understand why someone asks for free advice from strangers when they are paying for good advice from a professional.

I haven’t asked for advice since seeing Monte, just wanted to post progress updates. Since I never pass up an opportunity to play devils advocate, if your instructor told you that you needed to do X, and someone explained the same thing in a different way that you easily understood, would you not do it?

> @Moshjean said:

> > @otto6457 said:

> > Definite improvement. Keep listening to Monte. You pay money for good instruction. Bad instruction is free. You should have one voice in your head. Monte is the one that knows your swing and the path you need to be on. Pay attention to Monte's voice.

> >

> > Sorry for the interruption but I'll never understand why someone asks for free advice from strangers when they are paying for good advice from a professional.

>

> I haven’t asked for advice since seeing Monte, just wanted to post progress updates. Since I never pass up an opportunity to play devils advocate, if your instructor told you that you needed to do X, and someone explained the same thing in a different way that you easily understood, would you not do it?

>

>

My official advice is to ignore what I say and just do whatever Monte told you to do. If I woke up tomorrow and had your swing, the things I'd work on would be:

1) Softening the lead arm. It looks very rigid and almost hyperextended to me.

2) Feeling like the club head works behind me then straight up in the backswing .

3) Getting the left arm to release off my chest earlier in the downswing.

Curious what Monte is having you do. Can you share?

Titleist TSi3 8° - HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60TX

Titleist TS3 15° - HZRDUS Black (Hand Crafted) 70TX

Titleist 818 H2 19° - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Ping i200 - SteelFiber i125x

Edison - SteelFiber i125s

LAB DF 2.1 Armlock - LAGP

Snell MTB-X

> @Wesquire said:

> > @Moshjean said:

> > > @otto6457 said:

> > > Definite improvement. Keep listening to Monte. You pay money for good instruction. Bad instruction is free. You should have one voice in your head. Monte is the one that knows your swing and the path you need to be on. Pay attention to Monte's voice.

> > >

> > > Sorry for the interruption but I'll never understand why someone asks for free advice from strangers when they are paying for good advice from a professional.

> >

> > I haven’t asked for advice since seeing Monte, just wanted to post progress updates. Since I never pass up an opportunity to play devils advocate, if your instructor told you that you needed to do X, and someone explained the same thing in a different way that you easily understood, would you not do it?

> >

> >

>

> My official advice is to ignore what I say and just do whatever Monte told you to do. If I woke up tomorrow and had your swing, the things I'd work on would be:

>

> 1) Softening the lead arm. It looks very rigid and almost hyperextended to me.

>

> 2) Feeling like the club head works behind me then straight up in the backswing .

>

> 3) Getting the left arm to release off my chest earlier in the downswing.

>

> Curious what Monte is having you do. Can you share?

More vertical backswing / wrist set. Thumbs up instead of laterally.

Get lead wrist flexing in transition and nuke it. My instinctual habit is a very flat / inside take away. Club head inside too quick, flat, snap hooks, shanks, or blocks

> @Moshjean said:

> > @otto6457 said:

> > Definite improvement. Keep listening to Monte. You pay money for good instruction. Bad instruction is free. You should have one voice in your head. Monte is the one that knows your swing and the path you need to be on. Pay attention to Monte's voice.

> >

> > Sorry for the interruption but I'll never understand why someone asks for free advice from strangers when they are paying for good advice from a professional.

>

> I haven’t asked for advice since seeing Monte, just wanted to post progress updates. Since I never pass up an opportunity to play devils advocate, if your instructor told you that you needed to do X, and someone explained the same thing in a different way that you easily understood, would you not do it?

>

>

No. I may be an outlier, but when I am working on my swing with my coach, I don't go on golf forums or seek out opinions on what I'm working on, or my progress. I'm very lucky to work with the guy I work with. And I have worked with some great coaches during my career. But even when I was a kid I felt like I had to buy in to what my swing coach was telling me. If after a lot of lessons and practice I wasn't making progress, only then I would begin the search for a different coach. I'm certainly not going to spend my hard earned money getting instruction from a guy I feel like I have to second guess, or that I'm not clear on what he wants me to do. If that's the case, it's time to move on. But that's just me.

Everyone learns differently. Some people need confirmation from others. Some people need to try the newest fad swing concepts even if they are wrong. Some guys change swing teachers like they change their underwear. There's no perfect path for any of us. What ever makes you a better player, or gets you enjoying your golf more, is exactly what you need to do.

My only point is that listening to one voice eliminates variables. The more voices in your head, the more variables. Monte has a proven track record of developing players. If you're not 100% sure of something Monte wants you to do or feel, ask Monte. Just because someone tells you something that seems similar, or is easy to understand, doesn't mean it's the best path for you and your swing.

Good luck on your journey. Your swing is improving quite nicely.

> @otto6457 said:

> > @Moshjean said:

> > > @otto6457 said:

> > > Definite improvement. Keep listening to Monte. You pay money for good instruction. Bad instruction is free. You should have one voice in your head. Monte is the one that knows your swing and the path you need to be on. Pay attention to Monte's voice.

> > >

> > > Sorry for the interruption but I'll never understand why someone asks for free advice from strangers when they are paying for good advice from a professional.

> >

> > I haven’t asked for advice since seeing Monte, just wanted to post progress updates. Since I never pass up an opportunity to play devils advocate, if your instructor told you that you needed to do X, and someone explained the same thing in a different way that you easily understood, would you not do it?

> >

> >

> No. I may be an outlier, but when I am working on my swing with my coach, I don't go on golf forums or seek out opinions on what I'm working on, or my progress. I'm very lucky to work with the guy I work with. And I have worked with some great coaches during my career. But even when I was a kid I felt like I had to buy in to what my swing coach was telling me. If after a lot of lessons and practice I wasn't making progress, only then I would begin the search for a different coach. I'm certainly not going to spend my hard earned money getting instruction from a guy I feel like I have to second guess, or that I'm not clear on what he wants me to do. If that's the case, it's time to move on. But that's just me.

> Everyone learns differently. Some people need confirmation from others. Some people need to try the newest fad swing concepts even if they are wrong. Some guys change swing teachers like they change their underwear. There's no perfect path for any of us. What ever makes you a better player, or gets you enjoying your golf more, is exactly what you need to do.

>

> My only point is that listening to one voice eliminates variables. The more voices in your head, the more variables. Monte has a proven track record of developing players. If you're not 100% sure of something Monte wants you to do or feel, ask Monte. Just because someone tells you something that seems similar, or is easy to understand, doesn't mean it's the best path for you and your swing.

>

> Good luck on your journey. Your swing is improving quite nicely.

I agree 100%, whenever I have a question I'll ask him or send him a video.

I'm all in on Monte's swing philosophy, I haven't made any changes besides the ones we've worked on.

When I originally posted this I was extremely flat and rolled the clubhead inside almost immiedietley. I got some great insight from some of the members here, and I went to see Monte. I inted to only work with him, he's a G and Oak Creek is only 20 minutes from me. Posting updates keeps me committed to working on my swing and filming. I was hoping to spark some discussion, whether it's how awful my swing is, or how terrible my sense of style is, but most of all encouraging others to improve and seeing that hacks do eventually get better.

> @ScottJN said:

> Love to see this. Your swing looks much better already. Started working with monte online myself. He’s got me working on some changes that feel weird, but they seem to make a lot of sense. Im excited for the change. Anyways good luck.

If it doesn’t feel weird or foreign you aren’t making changes. There in lies the rub and why I never got any better.

> @Moshjean said:

> > @ScottJN said:

> > Love to see this. Your swing looks much better already. Started working with monte online myself. He’s got me working on some changes that feel weird, but they seem to make a lot of sense. Im excited for the change. Anyways good luck.

>

> If it doesn’t feel weird or foreign you aren’t making changes. There in lies the rub and why I never got any better.

>

>

If more people accepted and acknowledged this tidbit, they would likely be much better golfers!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...