Best irons 1945-60?

• 11 months later...
On 11/2/2021 at 7:55 PM, cold_war_era_golfer said:

The 1960 Wilson Dynapowered is my favorite of that time period. 

The 59-60 MacGregor FC4000s are nice too but if given a few extra years I’d pick the 1961 Big M FC4000 or the 1963 M2 FC4000.

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

What a difference a year makes!  I've slowly moved to Spalding from Wilson and MacGregor this summer and this started with a set of '63-64 Spade Face Synchro Dyneds.  I've worked my back through every year's pro model from '64-54(still looking for that right set of '53s).

Those early to late 50s Spaldings feel better than anything Mac or Wilson in my hands and they play just as well for me.  There's a high level of quality to Spalding's offerings too which really makes me scratch my head when comparing them price wise to a 50s MacGregror.

All you who have been at this longer than I probably don't even think about stuff like this but I've notices the mid 50s to early 60s irons all possess a few similar traits.  At least Mac, Wilson, and Spalding.  Thick top lines, heavier heads, and weight distributed on the back of the blade closer to the bottom.  At some point around 1965/66 those three decided to go with the thinnest looking blade they could.  Maybe that was the trend? 

Take MacGregor for example.  I personally would have confidence staring down at a heavier/thicker looking mid '50s Colokrom than a mid 60s flat back MT.

s-l1600.jpg.d26b89a8797ae053dc80d3805821b26b.jpg

BA1827A4-AFB0-4AAC-9FBD-BD24B4972C55.webp.99aa25d5ca0a7ec0fa54a2204efa6552.webp

• Like 4

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

24 minutes ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

What a difference a year makes!  I've slowly moved to Spalding from Wilson and MacGregor this summer and this started with a set of '63-64 Spade Face Synchro Dyneds.  I've worked my back through every year's pro model from '64-54(still looking for that right set of '53s).

Those early to late 50s Spaldings feel better than anything Mac or Wilson in my hands and they play just as well for me.  There's a high level of quality to Spalding's offerings too which really makes me scratch my head when comparing them price wise to a 50s MacGregror.

All you who have been at this longer than I probably don't even think about stuff like this but I've notices the mid 50s to early 60s irons all possess a few similar traits.  At least Mac, Wilson, and Spalding.  Thick top lines, heavier heads, and weight distributed on the back of the blade closer to the bottom.  At some point around 1965/66 those three decided to go with the thinnest looking blade they could.  Maybe that was the trend? 

Take MacGregor for example.  I personally would have confidence staring down at a heavier/thicker looking mid '50s Colokrom than a mid 60s flat back MT.

s-l1600.jpg.d26b89a8797ae053dc80d3805821b26b.jpg

BA1827A4-AFB0-4AAC-9FBD-BD24B4972C55.webp.99aa25d5ca0a7ec0fa54a2204efa6552.webp

Great to hear different opinions on which are the best irons.

I agree with you that for some reason Spalding seem to be overlooked by collectors, whether or not it was like that when these clubs were being sold as new, or if they were considered equal to Wilson and MacGregor, I don't know.

As to top lines, I've never been that bothered one way or the other, but I'm a complete sucker for wingback designs so I'd opt for the Colokrom every time!

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

30 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

the 59 dyna powers are great, look very modern to my eyes. Also the 54 top flights are awesome too one of my fave soles on classic clubs

I agree!  The 59 Dynapowereds have the thicker topline and the toes are more rounded which is more appealing to my eye than the later 60s squarer looking toe.

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, Bill Close said:

Back around the the turn of this century,I got disgusted when the one, two and sometimes the three irons were not available. Well, they were availible  the lofts were still the same but the numbers had change--that is the reason we now have so many wedges.

I started getting these older clubs--I had several to begin with--that I had when I started in the late 50's. Since then E-Bay has been a big help finding these clubs.

NOw--i am not a purest when it comes to grips and shafts--just the heads. I will change grips and play with weighting to my whims needs. I like the new Pure Grips a lot because i can blow them on and off as I want.

shafts have always been chnged out in clubs--if they are rusty, too firm, too heavy, too light, That is why you can change them so easy.

twenty years ago I learned to bend clubs--do not ask me how but it wasbased on a towel and concrete----Then I bound bendin machines--what fun they are.

I have about 25 sets that I play with--When I say Play--I am 83 and playing now is a lot different--mostly 9 holes--sometimes only three of four hles and a lot of thime just banging them into the net in my back yard.

I can't hit it out of my shadow but there is just something about how it feels today--not how far it goes.

I like the Macgregors--I also have Hogans, Spauldings, pings and others. 

hellboys--don't limit yourownself to thinking you have to give up the feeling you get when you hit one just right---though it may only go 75 or 100 yards today.

Well said, Sir

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bill Close said:

Back around the the turn of this century,I got disgusted when the one, two and sometimes the three irons were not available. Well, they were availible  the lofts were still the same but the numbers had change--that is the reason we now have so many wedges.

I started getting these older clubs--I had several to begin with--that I had when I started in the late 50's. Since then E-Bay has been a big help finding these clubs.

NOw--i am not a purest when it comes to grips and shafts--just the heads. I will change grips and play with weighting to my whims needs. I like the new Pure Grips a lot because i can blow them on and off as I want.

shafts have always been chnged out in clubs--if they are rusty, too firm, too heavy, too light, That is why you can change them so easy.

twenty years ago I learned to bend clubs--do not ask me how but it wasbased on a towel and concrete----Then I bound bendin machines--what fun they are.

I have about 25 sets that I play with--When I say Play--I am 83 and playing now is a lot different--mostly 9 holes--sometimes only three of four hles and a lot of thime just banging them into the net in my back yard.

I can't hit it out of my shadow but there is just something about how it feels today--not how far it goes.

hellboys--don't limit yourownself to thinking you have to give up the feeling you get when you hit one just right---though it may only go 75 or 100 yards today.

That is exactly what I strive for. You are an inspiration to someone 5 years your junior but still playing unlimited golf.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2023 at 11:27 AM, Bill Close said:

Frame this! This SHOULD be the motto of the small group of golfers we have here.  Well said!

• Like 4

On 6/20/2023 at 5:27 PM, Bill Close said:

Where are you based, Bill?

On the basis of just one post you are going to have 'real' golfers queuing up to meet and play a round or two with you.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 12:27 PM, Bill Close said:

You are highly inspirational to this 69 year old. I hope to be having as much fun when I reach 83.

• Like 1

I'm yet to hit a modern driver, anything with a graphite shaft, or a putter that looks more like a space ship than a blade.

I started in 2020 with the help of many here playing vintage only.  What was once a science experiment has now turned into trend I don't want to break by trying modern.

I figure if you're gonna teach yourself to play with old instructional books you might as well live and breath it with clubs from that era.

I played the oldest course west of the Alleghenies last weekend.  I had a 1959 Spalding 2 1/2w as my tee club.  My drives were consistently lower than anyone else but they stayed on the fairway of the hole I was playing.  I cannot say that for what I was seeing with the modern drivers.  

My irons missed the cutoff for this thread but they were 1963.  I let my friend use a set of 1959 MacGregor FC 4000s I wasn't using.  He decided to keep them after the round!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Bill Close said:

I guess we are just two looneytunes\

I think there's more than merely two that fit that description, in this part of WRX.  😉

Said with approval, of course.

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2019 at 9:48 AM, deejaid said:

Sounds like a set of 1953 Spalding Top-Flites would be perfect for you to match up with your woods. There is a real nice set on eBay that I thought of pulling the trigger on but I’m gonna pass as the vintage lengths don’t work for me. Wouldn’t want to buy them and tear off the grips that have survived 65 years.

Story goes a long way to telling a story:

Back in the day before sobriety became popular with me, round about 1980. I had a friend in Galveston, old time Big Band leftover--he owned a bar and supper club--I frequented only rarely, like when he was open.

I digress--it was late, earlier tha 2 AM, good music, his wife

was was working the bar that night--alas.

It was elboe slipping off the bar time--and he sez--You wanna by my clubs iwanna sell em, sure i sez----how much. Heslures--$25 bucks. I pay, we go to his car and he opens the trunk and hands me a bag---I walk over to my car and throw them in my trunk.

I wake up the next morning and drinking a cup of coffee, I says to myownself---you bought some golf clubs last night--I wonder what You bought. Go out. Open trunk. Pull out a set of 1955 eye-o-matics, 1 thru 10 iron color-chromes.Stillgot em, still play with em and love em.

Edited by Bill Close
cause i can't type
  • Like 2