2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

EPIC FLASH SUB ZERO DIAMOND HEADS???? (Pics added page 7)

tbone18

> @J13 said:

> > @eldog-in-the-hizouse said:

> > Are these Triple Diamond heads shaped an awful lot like the Rogue Sub Zeros heads?

>

> More simliar to the Rogue SZ than Epic Flash SZ for sure.

>

>

It’s kinda like the two got together and had a baby. A little of both in there.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I wanted to say that I thought that because this head was supposed to spin more and launch higher that I should play the 9* head I still dropped it -1* as I like the look of a very open face. While I get very good ball speeds, I hit it just too low. So I swapped out for the 10.5 and have that set to -1 and 9.5. I think that will bring my launch up a bit. The spin numbers have been very good in the 1900-2100 range.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> I wanted to say that I thought that because this head was supposed to spin more and launch higher that I should play the 9* head I still dropped it -1* as I like the look of a very open face. While I get very good ball speeds, I hit it just too low. So I swapped out for the 10.5 and have that set to -1 and 9.5. I think that will bring my launch up a bit. The spin numbers have been very good in the 1900-2100 range.

What shaft are using 875tr?

> @3wood said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > I wanted to say that I thought that because this head was supposed to spin more and launch higher that I should play the 9* head I still dropped it -1* as I like the look of a very open face. While I get very good ball speeds, I hit it just too low. So I swapped out for the 10.5 and have that set to -1 and 9.5. I think that will bring my launch up a bit. The spin numbers have been very good in the 1900-2100 range.

>

> What shaft are using 875tr?

ventus 7x

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Just picked a retail triple diamond 9* head to battle my tour issue M3 9.5*. With the same GP IZ 6X shaft in both, the Epic Flash triple diamond launches lower, much more fade biased, spins slightly higher and is much louder in my hands. I'll give both a good run, but the fade bias of the triple diamond will probably give it a leg up on the M3 with it's slight draw bias to me.

Ping G430 LST 9* Graphite Design VF 6

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 15* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7
Callaway Apex UW 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 9

Titleist T100 5-PW Vokey SM9 50* Fujikura Axiom 125
Artisan 55*DS+LE 59* DR+LE Nippon Modus3 125 wedge
LAB DF3

Took this out for a spin this weekend and can't say I was impressed. It's definitely louder and more "trash can" sounding then the original Flash. I do love the smaller head shape and the top graphic left off. Being a high backspin player, this thing spun too much for me. I'm confused because I've seen Quigley's numbers before and thought it would drop spin for me, too.

I was surprised to see the head weigh in at 193g so I might have to add some hotmelt and see if that would help with the sound and launch a bit. Maybe even get a Fujikura Ventus or Speeder TR shaft at some point.

I hit it some more and I have been getting really good numbers with it. I switched from the 9 to a 10.5 to get my launch up. I am typically a bit low, and I played a round Saturday with and it went well.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Used it for a few rounds and compared to the normal Flash SZ, Triple Diamond definitely has more fade bias. Really helps protect against the left side. Also I thought launched a bit lower.

Titleist TS3 10.5 Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
Titleist TS2 3 Wood Evenflow 85
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP3 KBS S Taper S+ 4 iron
Titleist 718 CB KBS S Taper S+ 5-9
Vokey Hand Ground by the Man himself 46F, 50F, 54K, 60V
Scotty Cameron Toolbox 009

> @4rheel said:

> Took this out for a spin this weekend and can't say I was impressed. It's definitely louder and more "trash can" sounding then the original Flash. I do love the smaller head shape and the top graphic left off. Being a high backspin player, this thing spun too much for me. I'm confused because I've seen Quigley's numbers before and thought it would drop spin for me, too.

>

> I was surprised to see the head weigh in at 193g so I might have to add some hotmelt and see if that would help with the sound and launch a bit. Maybe even get a Fujikura Ventus or Speeder TR shaft at some point.

193 seems really low. I thought these were supposed to be heavier, in the 200-205 range?

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @HidekiWoods said:

> The conflicting reports are killing me (though appreciated). Guess I’ll just have to buy both and have a shoot out!

It is all individual swings right? No one else is going to swing the club the way you do. I hit everything pretty low launch and spin. So, I need launch and spin help, I feel this is just enough more. I would not call it high spin, but individual result may vary depending on shaft, and about 1000 other factors.

You may want just the standard head.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @HidekiWoods said:

> > The conflicting reports are killing me (though appreciated). Guess I’ll just have to buy both and have a shoot out!

>

> It is all individual swings right? No one else is going to swing the club the way you do. I hit everything pretty low launch and spin. So, I need launch and spin help, I feel this is just enough more. I would not call it high spin, but individual result may vary depending on shaft, and about 1000 other factors.

>

> You may want just the standard head.

I have ~+4 Aoa and have no problem launching it. I also hit both sz and triple diamond. My only concern is I found out after I hit the triple diamond, that it was a TC triple diamond and I’m not sure how that compares to the retail. I hit the TC triple diamond the best and it definitely did not spin too much (think it was around 1900). I like really like the fade bias.

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @4rheel said:

> > Took this out for a spin this weekend and can't say I was impressed. It's definitely louder and more "trash can" sounding then the original Flash. I do love the smaller head shape and the top graphic left off. Being a high backspin player, this thing spun too much for me. I'm confused because I've seen Quigley's numbers before and thought it would drop spin for me, too.

> >

> > I was surprised to see the head weigh in at 193g so I might have to add some hotmelt and see if that would help with the sound and launch a bit. Maybe even get a Fujikura Ventus or Speeder TR shaft at some point.

>

> 193 seems really low. I thought these were supposed to be heavier, in the 200-205 range?

That's what I thought, too! Maybe I need to contact Callaway.

> @HidekiWoods said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @HidekiWoods said:

> > > The conflicting reports are killing me (though appreciated). Guess I’ll just have to buy both and have a shoot out!

> >

> > It is all individual swings right? No one else is going to swing the club the way you do. I hit everything pretty low launch and spin. So, I need launch and spin help, I feel this is just enough more. I would not call it high spin, but individual result may vary depending on shaft, and about 1000 other factors.

> >

> > You may want just the standard head.

>

> I have ~+4 Aoa and have no problem launching it. I also hit both sz and triple diamond. My only concern is I found out after I hit the triple diamond, that it was a TC triple diamond and I’m not sure how that compares to the retail. I hit the TC triple diamond the best and it definitely did not spin too much (think it was around 1900). I like really like the fade bias.

I would imagine the TC (non-retail) head is lower spinning and not ideal for the average golfer. Gotta be at least lower lofts opposed to what's printed on there.

easyyy posted a comparison a few pages back of the TC and "retail" triple diamond head - everything was the same. There will be some different lofts available in the TC version obviously, but I doubt there's anything hugely different. Would explain the lighter head weight too as if they're the same mold, internals, etc which it seems like they are, then the lack of weight is to allow for hot melt. Mine weighs 194-195g.

Most tour heads are light so they can further customize the head for the player.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

> @J13 said:

> Most tour heads are light so they can further customize the head for the player.

That makes sense. I have been looking at the after market weights, but the forward and the skidding weight to try and play with it.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I have a retail 3D head, without the sleeve but including the factory front and rear weights it weighs 192g.

I’m curious, Are you guys quoting weights for the TC heads with or without the shaft sleeve?

Titleist Tsr3 10.0° Ventus TR Velocore Red 6
TaylorMade Stealth+ 13.5° Mitsubishi Diamana ZF7
TaylorMade Stealth2 5/18° Ventus Velocore Red 7
Ping G430  22° Ventus Blue HB8
Mizuno Pro 243 5-PW Dynamic Gold Mid 115
Titleist Vokey SM8 48°/10F Dynamic Gold Mid 115  
Titleist Vokey SM9 54°/12D Dynamic Gold Mid 115
Titleist Vokey SM9 60°/04T Dynamic Gold Mid 115   
Scotty Cameron Phantom X #11
TaylorMade Tour Response 

I looked but cannot remember, What are the standard weights of both the movable and front weight on the 3D?

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> I looked but cannot remember, What are the standard weights of both the movable and front weight on the 3D?

On mine the front weight was 4 g and the rear weight was 12g with a total head weight of 196g without the adapter.

Ping G430 LST 9* Graphite Design VF 6

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 15* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7
Callaway Apex UW 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 9

Titleist T100 5-PW Vokey SM9 50* Fujikura Axiom 125
Artisan 55*DS+LE 59* DR+LE Nippon Modus3 125 wedge
LAB DF3

> @burns9304 said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > I looked but cannot remember, What are the standard weights of both the movable and front weight on the 3D?

>

> On mine the front weight was 4 g and the rear weight was 12g with a total head weight of 196g without the adapter.

Thanks, I have been looking at weights. I think I going to order a 6 and 8 gram weight for the front and 10 and 16 gram for the back.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @burns9304 said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > I looked but cannot remember, What are the standard weights of both the movable and front weight on the 3D?

> >

> > On mine the front weight was 4 g and the rear weight was 12g with a total head weight of 196g without the adapter.

>

> Thanks, I have been looking at weights. I think I going to order a 6 and 8 gram weight for the front and 10 and 16 gram for the back.

What will the change do?

> @Rogtsaamokin66 said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @burns9304 said:

> > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > I looked but cannot remember, What are the standard weights of both the movable and front weight on the 3D?

> > >

> > > On mine the front weight was 4 g and the rear weight was 12g with a total head weight of 196g without the adapter.

> >

> > Thanks, I have been looking at weights. I think I going to order a 6 and 8 gram weight for the front and 10 and 16 gram for the back.

>

> What will the change do?

Well if I add weight forward and take it away from the back. theory says it should lower spin. If I add to the total head weight, I will change the swing weight, which could change how the club loads etc. lots to things it could change.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I just spoke with a Callaway tech support rep. Flash spins most. Sub zero spins less. Triple Diamond spins least.

He also said they are meant to be hit in the geometric center. I tend to tee the ball high and hit up a lot and catch it above the geometric center which kills spin and launches higher. Interesting he recommended for these heads not to do that.

> @thepinkbomber said:

> I just spoke with a Callaway tech support rep. Flash spins most. Sub zero spins less. Triple Diamond spins least.

> He also said they are meant to be hit in the geometric center. I tend to tee the ball high and hit up a lot and catch it above the geometric center which kills spin and launches higher. Interesting he recommended for these heads not to do that.

>

Interesting that info is a little different from everything I have read. Thanks

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @thepinkbomber said:

> > I just spoke with a Callaway tech support rep. Flash spins most. Sub zero spins less. Triple Diamond spins least.

> > He also said they are meant to be hit in the geometric center. I tend to tee the ball high and hit up a lot and catch it above the geometric center which kills spin and launches higher. Interesting he recommended for these heads not to do that.

> >

>

> Interesting that info is a little different from everything I have read. Thanks

Played both in same shaft, HZRDUS t1100. Finding the triple diamond to spin 300-400rmp’s more than flash sub zero.

> @ohiohunter2 said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @thepinkbomber said:

> > > I just spoke with a Callaway tech support rep. Flash spins most. Sub zero spins less. Triple Diamond spins least.

> > > He also said they are meant to be hit in the geometric center. I tend to tee the ball high and hit up a lot and catch it above the geometric center which kills spin and launches higher. Interesting he recommended for these heads not to do that.

> > >

> >

> > Interesting that info is a little different from everything I have read. Thanks

>

> Played both in same shaft, HZRDUS t1100. Finding the triple diamond to spin 300-400rmp’s more than flash sub zero.

Thats what I found as well. But, the difference is small enough to call them the same.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @thepinkbomber said:

> > I just spoke with a Callaway tech support rep. Flash spins most. Sub zero spins less. Triple Diamond spins least.

> > He also said they are meant to be hit in the geometric center. I tend to tee the ball high and hit up a lot and catch it above the geometric center which kills spin and launches higher. Interesting he recommended for these heads not to do that.

> >

>

> Interesting that info is a little different from everything I have read. Thanks

Same with me. I heard triple diamond spins a little more than SZ and that was confirmed in my testing on track man using the same shaft.

I just started reviewing the triple diamond in my WITB thread but so far I'm actually seeing lower ball flight than the standard SZ. Not sure on spin, hard to tell without jumping on trackman.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Straight from Callaway...Just need to call them and talk to their technical reps...Flash, draw biased more upright, sub zero flatter lie small right bias and lower spin than flash, triple diamond most flat very right bias. They did say the higher toe in the triple diamond could help my miss of an occasional toe hook. They did say they would only recommend the triple diamond for someone that has tour like club head speed regardless of handicap.