LPGA Commissioner

aknow

Why is the LPGA commissioner a man? How can a male really understand a woman's experience and concerns? No wonder the women pros are underpaid, and under-compensated. Personally, I believe the LPGA tour is more compelling than the men's tour of endless 80 yard approach shots on long par four holes. The women certainly have a more interesting and friendlier repartee than the ultra competitive guys do. This could change for the better.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is the LPGA commissioner a man? How can a male really understand a woman's experience and concerns? No wonder the women pros are underpaid, and under-compensated. Personally, I believe the LPGA tour is more compelling than the men's tour of endless 80 yard approach shots on long par four holes. The women certainly have a more interesting and friendlier repartee than the ultra competitive guys do. This could change for the better.

"Why is the LPGA commissioner a man?"

Two words. Carolyn Bivens.

You say "things could change for the better".

If you are not aware that the LPGA has monumentally changed for the better under the current commissioner, you have been hiding under a rock for the past 10 years or so.

The commissioners job is to grow the product and make money. What that product is, is irrelevant. The commissioner is not a concierge.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

"Why is the LPGA commissioner a man?"

Two words. Carolyn Bivens.

austin.jpg

Wow, nice comments, not! Carolyn Bivens tried to drive off all the sponsors and tried to bankrupt LPGA. Michael Whan has done a great job bringing LPGA back up. I enjoy watching the ladies on TV. They sure can play.

Sex of the position has no bearing of how good job it requires. It is whomever is the best qualified to run an organization.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Mike Whan has done a fantastic job, he and his staff have raised purses and increased the number of tournaments for the ladies. I live in Wisconsin and go to the Tournament at Thornberry Creek just outside Green Bay and it is a excellent event. I do hope more people attend this year but the women are great and the wife and I love the tournament.

I side with Bivens - they should learn English

Interesting...so, if the American men who are trying to make it outside of the US...should they have to learn the language for the various countries those tours play in? Just curious, you understand.

And, many of the LPGA players who are not American actually have an understanding of the English language but are just not comfortable speaking it when put on the spot in front of a camera.

but are just not comfortable speaking it when put on the spot in front of a camera.

I know a large number of people who are exactly this way from a variety of first languages. One on one they are fine but in a more public setting is very uncomfortable for them. I imagine its doubly worse in a media situation when every word will be parsed for meaning.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

And, many of the LPGA players who are not American actually have an understanding of the English language but are just not comfortable speaking it when put on the spot in front of a camera.

The majority of LPGA players who are not American are fluent in English. Others have to learn on the job, and kudos to them for ever going in front of cameras and answering questions.

I would add to that, they should all learn some basic Korean too. Hello, goodbye, thank you, nice to meet you, etc. It's only fair consider how much the LPGA relies on Korean sponsorship and viewership.

I think many people would be truly horrified if they were to find out how the LPGA actually operates in 2019 (i.e. where da money comin from), as well as the direction it's been heading for some time now. I don't even want to imagine these same folks' reaction when they find out that most American players on the LPGA actually like and socialize with the Koreans. They would probably become physically ill when they see someone like Nelly Korda sporting all those funny lookin foreign logos.

I would add to that, they should all learn some basic Korean too. Hello, goodbye, thank you, nice to meet you, etc. It's only fair consider how much the LPGA relies on Korean sponsorship and viewership.

I think many people would be truly horrified if they were to find out how the LPGA actually operates in 2019 (i.e. where da money comin from), as well as the direction it's been heading for some time now. I don't even want to imagine these same folks' reaction when they find out that most American players on the LPGA actually like and socialize with the Koreans. They would probably become physically ill when they see someone like Nelly Korda sporting all those funny lookin foreign logos.

Without hesitation, so much of the funding for the LPGA comes from outside the states. The TV distribution alone would blow people's minds. So much more so than the PGA, the LPGA is a global tour.

I have some comments

Whan was interviewed over the weekend and he seems like a top guy, with a wide range of new ideas, that has executed incredibly in turning around the LPGA rapidly. Will only get better

And your comment on men's golf and 80 yard wedges ... ummm .. that's all the women were doing on the weekend. 230-260 yard drive and then some sort of wedge from 110

I hope the commish helps Brooke find a new putting instructor, she should've won by a handful

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I don't even want to imagine these same folks' reaction when they find out that most American players on the LPGA actually like and socialize with the Koreans. They would probably become physically ill when they see someone like Nelly Korda sporting all those funny lookin foreign logos.

It`s silly for someone to think the American`s wouldn`t befriend the Korean`s. It`s not 1950 anymore. If there is any disliking, it`s likely because the Koreans are handing the Americans their asses. Don`t get angry ladies, put the wine glass down and get off Instagram and hit the range more often.

I still say the product and consumption for viewers not at the course is still terribly sub-par. I feel course set up most weeks isn't good overall and trying to watch the LPGA live after May is almost impossible (sorta serious). Whan did a great job bringing sponsors back to the tour after Bivens, no denying that. Up until this year I would agree that purses are too low, but the fact a bunch of the top pros din't attend the Diamond resort event and it will be even worse at the Vic Open, with only Brooke Henderson, Georgia Hall and Minjee Lee from the top 10 and not a whole lot better when you expand to the top 50 players in the world. So my opinion has changed, with this level of commitment to by top LPGA players, I'm not throwing up 3-5 million dollars for a purse if I'm a sponsor either. Sure many PGA pro's skip events but the LPGA isn't the PGA in terms of ratings and interest. If players wanna complain about a gender pay gap and expect me to care, then they gotta put in the effort of making the tour better.

I still say the product and consumption for viewers not at the course is still terribly sub-par. I feel course set up most weeks isn't good overall and trying to watch the LPGA live after May is almost impossible (sorta serious). Whan did a great job bringing sponsors back to the tour after Bivens, no denying that. Up until this year I would agree that purses are too low, but the fact a bunch of the top pros din't attend the Diamond resort event and it will be even worse at the Vic Open, with only Brooke Henderson, Georgia Hall and Minjee Lee from the top 10 and not a whole lot better when you expand to the top 50 players in the world. So my opinion has changed, with this level of commitment to by top LPGA players, I'm not throwing up 3-5 million dollars for a purse if I'm a sponsor either. Sure many PGA pro's skip events but the LPGA isn't the PGA in terms of ratings and interest. If players wanna complain about a gender pay gap and expect me to care, then they gotta put in the effort of making the tour better.

Fair points, and I wonder if they could have increased the buy-in by adding a little international celebs to the tournament? Just a few mind you, to draw in international viewers and therefore interest by the large contingent of players who did not participate? I mean I'm a fan of Francona, but does SHP give a darn who he is? Would that actually help attendance by the top ten anyway?

However, someone mentioned more female celebs too, and Condi Rice would have been a nice addition even though she's not a celebrity.

There does need to be a PGA/LPGA crossover event which is in discussion I believe.

Im so tired of this argument and complaint.

The top 100 on the LPGA Money List in 2018 all made over six figures in prize money, and the top 47 all made more than a half-million. Along with whatever other endorsement and sponsor money and perks they get. This despite the fact that, generally speaking in the grand scheme of things, nobody watches the LPGA, LPGA events are sparsely attended, and the top level of LPGA players is largely made up of women from Korea that golf fans in the US really don't know much of anything about.

Cristie Kerr, the top American on the career LPGA Money List, has racked up just short of $20 million in career earnings. Paula Creamer has won 10 events in her career and has made $12 million. I mean, lets stop pretending these gals play for peanuts.

These ladies are talented, no doubt. And I would agree that sometimes their events are more compelling viewing than some of the PGA Tour events. But they are compensated EXACTLY at the level they should be, based on viewership, sponsorship level, etc. If they want more, they need to make their product more viable to the American sports viewer. And with golf being a niche sport as it is in this country, that is going to be very difficult for a sports league currently driven by mostly foreign competitors.

Cristie Kerr, the top American on the career LPGA Money List, has racked up just short of $20 million in career earnings.

Yes, and Cristie has been on tour since 1997. She has 20 wins. 176 top 10`s. Total earnings $19,607,756

Dustin Johnson has been on tour since 2007. He has 19 wins. 90 top 10`s Total earnings $ 56,601,122

So, yeah they girls don`t play for peanuts exactly, but it`s pretty clear there`s a huge,huge difference, Don`t forget Cristie has 10 more years and nearly twice the top 10`s as DJ, yet Dustin has earned 37 million more. Just sayin..

Cristie Kerr, the top American on the career LPGA Money List, has racked up just short of $20 million in career earnings.

Yes, and Cristie has been on tour since 1997. She has 20 wins. 176 top 10`s. Total earnings $19,607,756

Dustin Johnson has been on tour since 2007. He has 19 wins. 90 top 10`s Total earnings $ 56,601,122

So, yeah they girls don`t play for peanuts exactly, but it`s pretty clear there`s a huge,huge difference, Don`t forget Cristie has 10 more years and nearly twice the top 10`s as DJ, yet Dustin has earned 37 million more. Just sayin..

Dustin and many others benefitted from the Tiger TV/ratings factor. If there was an equivalent on the LPGA tour, who knows where prize money would be.

As a point of validation, the 1995 US Open was won by Corey Pavin. He made $350,000.

The 2005 USO paid out $1.17M to the winner, Michael Campbell. 3x increase.

Dustin and many others benefitted from the Tiger TV/ratings factor. If there was an equivalent on the LPGA tour, who knows where prize money would be.

Well, although she wasn`t American, Annika was the female version of Tiger, both playing at the same time as well. Clearly the LPGA must not have caught fire like the PGA. It is what it is I guess.

All this bickering is why the LPGA struggles. Whan's doing a great job.

So the LPGA is struggling because a bunch of grumpy old men on an internet golf forum are bickering about its commissioner?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

So, wait. Are you saying that increased tournament dates, more money, and better TV deals aren’t good for the Tour? Or are you saying that having a woman in charge would make those things look better to people that care about it?

The difference is a very small percentage watch the LPGA Tour, it's on the ladies and Whan to grow the viewership. Female sports typically draw much lower attendance and ratings than their male counterparts and that's why they get paid less. Male Web,com golfers get paid even less for the same reasons, ratings and attendance.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX