Mizuno TP-9 forged blades

MightyMark

Confused about the TP-9 production years being 1999-2000. I had one of the first sets of these from the Mizuno rep. in the UK when I was either 17 or 18, which was unfortunately in 1986 or 1987. Still got them in the garage and, apart from the totally dead shafts, they are still lovely blades.

The listing on the website is just what years the lefthanded TP-9 was part of the US catalog, the righthanded version was out much earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

Great discussion all.

Funny story..I picked up a used set of TP-9's in 2001 at Mashie Niblicks, a used store in London near Wimbledon. As I didn't have anyway to get them home to the US with me, the guys there threw in an old, beat up Mizuno Staff bag, probably from the early 90's or so. The set I have must be the newer model, as they have the TP-9 on the hosel, and also have that ugly white line on the bottom. My wife "loved" me lugging that set of clubs around the tube back to Heathrow!

Ironically, earlier that day, I had a chance to play the old course at Sunningdale. It was a thursday the week before Christmas, and I remember calling 2 mos early to ask if I needed a tee time, since the website said you had to make on and if you cancelled, weather or not, your credit card would be charged...anyway, when I told them when I was coming, they said I would probably be the only person on the course, and, aside from a lady walking her dog, I think I was...Great day, low 50's, cloudy but no rain. When I went back in the proshop on my way to out, who did I run into....Sam Torrance! Got my picture with him making a goofy face, but a fun day non the less

• 1 year later...
Funny story..I picked up a used set of TP-9's in 2001 at Mashie Niblicks, a used store in London near Wimbledon.

I know that this is almost two years later, but that is the coolest name for a golf store.

Tour issue Aeroburner TP 10.5* Diamana D+ 70x
SLDR 15* & 19* Diamana blueboard 83x
Adams Red 20* Ozik x
Macgregor Pro-C 4 Iron X100
Macgregor Pro-M 5-PW X100
Callaway Forged Copper 54 & 60*
Scotty Cameron Classic black Newport 2 34"

• 10 months later...

The TP-9 in the USA from 1999-2000 were only available in Left Hand. Hence why the dates don't match up. They must have re-released them to get rid of their old stock. Well I am believing that on my own but it makes sense to me. :)

I just got a set of TP9's on Ebay. What is the hosel? Parallel or Taper? I haven't gotten them yet but I need to get everything ready for a re-shaft when I get back home on R&R. They should be waiting for me.

I have an older set of MP14's that were Parallel and then they started making them in a Taper. Crazy stuff when I first pulled the shafts. My 14's had a more rounded toe than the newer ones also. The new ones had a pointy toe on them. But then again I loved my MP29's and TZoid Pros. Can't wait to play with the TP9's. Just have to get back from Iraq first. I hope they are in decent condition.

Back in the day I should have bought Bobby Duval's Mizuno Pros with the M and red line. Oh well maybe he still has them in his garage.

Back to the sand!

TM SIM Max 11.1* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 6S
3 Wood Titleist TSR 15* Fujikura Ventus Red VC 7S
5 Wood Titleist TSR 18* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 8S
7 Wood Callaway BB 2004 21* Pro Launch 75s
4-PW Srixon Zx7 Modus 105s
MG4 54 SB Modus 105w, MG4 60 SBC Modus 105w

Scotty Cameron

Having played Eye2+ for quite a number of years, I decided I needed a change. I scoured the bay for ages for a cheap set of blades and came across a set of tp9s in great condition with R400 shafts and virtually new half cord green swing right grips, for £40

I decided to put them into play last month. I cant believe how these things fly. Having used DGS300s in my eye2s the r400s seem much more forgiving for some wierd reason.

I am used to hitting 2 irons anyway (Ive stuck to my trusty Eye 2+ one for that) so hitting a bladed 3 iron that looked like a butter knife didnt phase me.

These irons are only 8 years younger than me and I love them. The feel is amazing and it is so easy to shape the ball its unbelievable.

They are staying in the bag for the immediate future!

• 9 months later...
I had a 3month affair with a "borrowed" set of Titleist 690.mb.

They fit my eye and my swing, My friend decided not to sell and put them back in his bag.

A new acquaintance suggested that he had a set that might interest me. I knew instantly!

I now own Mizuno TP-9, 3-9 with S400's. First available 1986.

I will be checking lofts today. They may have been modernized, as my regular range targets seem to correspond in club selection.

If I need to bend, I will most likely buy an MPseries 50* and bend to 48* to be my PW.

Faldo won the U.S. Open with these. They were, and are, only special order and very popular on the European Tour.

Faldo won a US Open?

Great set of blades.

I'm pretty sure MightyMark meant the British Open. :yes: He's getting up there in years. :derisive:

My info shows TP-9 came out in 1986. I stand corrected...production years 1999-2000.

I also read that Nick Faldo played the TP-9's in the mid/late 80's like the one's below.

Can't be sure of this, but it's true they went into full production in '99. According to Mizuno.

unknown.jpg

Several sets later, and years, I still have these TP-9's. They still feel good, and I take them out occasionally. See my signature for my latest "friends".

• 3 months later...
I had a 3month affair with a "borrowed" set of Titleist 690.mb.

They fit my eye and my swing, My friend decided not to sell and put them back in his bag.

A new acquaintance suggested that he had a set that might interest me. I knew instantly!

I now own Mizuno TP-9, 3-9 with S400's. First available 1986.

I will be checking lofts today. They may have been modernized, as my regular range targets seem to correspond in club selection.

If I need to bend, I will most likely buy an MPseries 50* and bend to 48* to be my PW.

Faldo won the U.S. Open with these. They were, and are, only special order and very popular on the European Tour.

Faldo won a US Open?

Great set of blades.

I'm pretty sure MightyMark meant the British Open. :yes: He's getting up there in years. :derisive:

My info shows TP-9 came out in 1986. I stand corrected...production years 1999-2000.

I also read that Nick Faldo played the TP-9's in the mid/late 80's like the one's below.

Can't be sure of this, but it's true they went into full production in '99. According to Mizuno.

unknown.jpg

Several sets later, and years, I still have these TP-9's. They still feel good, and I take them out occasionally. See my signature for my latest "friends".

I saved the heads, put the shafts (S-400) in my Mizuno MX-25's. Soft stepped once. Those are my gamers.

• 4 weeks later...

Love this thread. I had a set from the Mizuno rep when they first came into the UK in 1986 and played them for years. Great clubs and I still have them, including the matching SW, although there is not much of that left. Wish I had also kept the Fluid Feel set that the Mizuno replaced.

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

I have a mint set of Mizuno pro ms801s, pretty rare.
Gorgeous. I have only seen the tp online, would love to hit them.
pretty unique look for mizunos.a

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

I took out my 24* hybrid and put my TP-9 3iron back in the bag. If I need a 4 iron, I choke down 1 1/2". I have no problem getting the 3 iron up.
The 3iron is much more accurate than the hybrid. I do get more distance from my 20* hybrid, so that stays.
I keep getting second thoughts about re-shafting the whole TP set with S-300's. I guess I am better off playing the MX-25's.
See my signature.

• 1 month later...

unknown.jpg

I saved the heads, put the shafts (S-400) in my Mizuno MX-25's. Soft stepped once. Those are my gamers.

I am considering reshafting these heads. Mizuno's optimizer suggests S-300.

The original shafts from the MX-25's were dynalite sl regular with sensicore. They were too soft and ballooned for me in the MX-25, my guess they would do the same in the TP-9's.

I should heed my own advice (another thread and above) and try an S-300 spec'd out to D-3 and 3*upright in one club. If it feels right, then do them all.

• 3 weeks later...

Mizuno TP-9 came 1986! The model quickly became popular with tour players and were used by, among others, Faldo, Lyle and Olazabal. Faldo had TP-9's in the bag when he won the U.S. Masters 1989th The designation TP, which is read the Tour Proven, is not excessive.

The design with the distinctive "blade" goes back to Mizuno golf clubs made ​​in the 1930's. Although TP-9 is an old model that has long gone out of production used the remains of many players.
The loft are quite traditional with a PW of 50 degrees (compared to the blades Mizuno manufactures today where PW are equipped with 47-degree loft), a nine iron with 45 degrees of loft and then 4 degrees between each club to the relatively strong lofted 3 iron with 21 degrees lofts. The length of a five iron is, according to the standard specification, 37.75 inches.

As curiosities may be mentioned that the TP-9 re-launched in the U.S. market in 1999 but only as left handed clubs.

(Thanks to Professor Herman)

[quote name='joey3108' timestamp='1191509629' post='742302']
[quote name='MightyMark' post='742128' date='Oct 4 2007, 04:02 AM']My info shows TP-9 came out in 1986.[/quote]Are you saying the one on Mizuno website is wrong?
[/quote]

Mi TP-9 are produced 1986, along with among others Nick Faldos, 1999 Mizuno took upp production of TP-9 again, but only left clubs and only for the US market

• 11 months later...

Just bought a set of these 3-sw from eBay for £10.50. They need a little cleaning up, but generally in good nick. Grips are on the edge I would say. I doubt I have any real chance of hitting these well just now, but gives me something to aspire to.
As an aisde - when I was there the seller also had a 10.5 975D in good order which I had off him for £10 as well...

• 3 weeks later...

I have just bought a set of MIzuno TP9 3 to sw with S400 shafts for £45. They are still in the original Mizuno cardboard box and are in mint condition. The grips were original but hardened over the years so I had Lamkin Perma Wrap fitted. I have been using Taylor Made Tour Preferred TD blades (1987) and also own a set of McGregor VIP blades. The TP9s fit in between my last two sets and have a beautiful balance. I played with them in a roll up competition for the first time last weekend and came first with 41 points! (new handicap 11.4). Needless to say I think they are incredible and great to look at. They have the white line on the bottom groove which I find very good for lining up the blade. These should last me out (age 68, started playing at 50).

• 1 year later...

I just bought back my set of TP-9's that I traded away last summer, I regretted selling them ever since and luckily they were still in his shop when he opened this spring. They are 4-pw with R300 shafts and Lamkin grips, though the shafts are quite pitted and I'll probably replace them soon, I can't wait to try them with some new shafts :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

• 6 months later...

Still use tp 9, still great to hit. I've used loads of blades through the years but these are the best for me. The tp 11 were too heavy for me and I just didn't like them for some reason, same with the tp19, which were designed by faldo and weighed a tonne! But for feel and looks the tp9 just beats all, love them!

• 7 years later...

well why not dig it up again!!!  I had my first set of lefty TP-9's WAY back in the day.  Always regretted selling them.  I found a. set out here three weeks ago and paid full boat for them.  Got them over the weekend and took them out today.  I bent them to more modern lofts (47 degree PW and went from there.  Also made them 1 degree flat) and hit them on my GC3.  I compared the numbers to my current gamers (Callaway MB 21's with C-Taper 120).  The numbers were not too far off, especially considering the TP-9's have R40 shafts in them.  I was going to send them to Flanigans to rechrome them, but I think I am going to throw a set of C-Tapers in them and give them a few rounds.  SOOO good.  And just becuase, I am getting a set of MacGregor V Foil VIP 1025c irons delivered tomorrow!  🙂. I love classic irons. 

• Like 1