2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2019 Apex Apex Pro Thoughts and anyone else demo them?

russian7

I finally got on trackman with both yesterday...

I haven't looked into the loft comparisons but I am considering a combo set, well not really anymore after demoing.

Apex pro, awesome looks feel, workable and very consistent for me, even the 4 irons I could launch high and avg. carry was 205, I got really good numbers around.

Apex 19, to me definitely thicker topline, noticeably more offset, very hot but I couldn't stand the feel. I don't know how to describe it but it was almost metal feeling at impact or harsher, maybe clickier more like cast, not sure but I didn't like the sound/feel. Distance was about 5 yards more carry sometimes longer than that over the Apex Pros.

In the long irons I couldn't tell a difference in forgiveness between the two, launch was nearly identical I just got a bit more yardage from Apex but didn't like the feel. I would have gone with at least the 4 if it was more forgiving and easier to hit but the Pro's were just as good IMO.

Anyone else have thoughts or put them on the monitor and compare?

I want the smoke finish but likely going all APEX PRO now.

I had similar results too.

I personally liked the Apex Pro the most due to the shaping and size. It appears to be slimmer and a bit more compact than a 716 AP2. I put the 7 iron up to a 716 AP2 fitting iron (currently gaming them) and was getting about a club longer; roughly 9 yards on average carry. I was getting 166 yd @ 5500 RPM on the Apex Pro vs. 157 yd @ 5700 RPM on AP2's. The Apex Pro felt softer than the AP2 but I think it was because it didn't have the Titleist click at impact. Also have to note that the new TT Elevate Tour shaft is pretty smooth.

The Apex 19 is definitely thicker overall and way more offset than my liking. It otherwise went the same carry as the Apex Pro; I just had to fight from overdrawing it.

The smoke finish look nice but I've yet to find a black finish that wears well. The last time I had a set in a dark finish was the Nike Vapor Pro's. They looked sick at first but like crap after several range sessions.

I ordered the 19 Pros coming from 16 Pros. *Still waiting for them to show up

In testing I gained a few yards (5 or so) but they are alot more accruate with same shaft. 1 degree stronger so it makes sense on the gain. These might be Cally's best in years. Feel was the same (maybe '16 bit softer) but the 19 Pro's have just a bit more click at impact.

I had similar results too.

I personally liked the Apex Pro the most due to the shaping and size. It appears to be slimmer and a bit more compact than a 716 AP2. I put the 7 iron up to a 716 AP2 fitting iron (currently gaming them) and was getting about a club longer; roughly 9 yards on average carry. I was getting 166 yd @ 5500 RPM on the Apex Pro vs. 157 yd @ 5700 RPM on AP2's. The Apex Pro felt softer than the AP2 but I think it was because it didn't have the Titleist click at impact. Also have to note that the new TT Elevate Tour shaft is pretty smooth.

The Apex 19 is definitely thicker overall and way more offset than my liking. It otherwise went the same carry as the Apex Pro; I just had to fight from overdrawing it.

The smoke finish look nice but I've yet to find a black finish that wears well. The last time I had a set in a dark finish was the Nike Vapor Pro's. They looked sick at first but like crap after several range sessions.

Agree on all, yeah my cobra forged tec black have the best black finish I've ever seen hold up

In testing I gained a few yards (5 or so) but they are alot more accruate with same shaft. 1 degree stronger so it makes sense on the gain. These might be Cally's best in years. Feel was the same (maybe '16 bit softer) but the 19 Pro's have just a bit more click at impact.

Yeah the pros looked and felt great not so sure about the stock shaft but the regular apex was too big and didnt like the feel.

Yeah the pros looked and felt great not so sure about the stock shaft but the regular apex was too big and didnt like the feel.

The stock shaft actually is not "bad" it is just so light. I use 120g KBS Tour so hitting with a 95-100 gram shaft threw me off. I hit all the shafts offered and the KBS Tour (which I play already) and Modus 3 was the best for my swing. Stuck with what I know as it is working well now and like the feel.

Standard Apex surprised me, better then expected for feel but a lot more click at impact. Pros feel so much better personally. Plus the lofts are soooo jacked it was going to mess with my gap's distance wise. Heck with all the iron lofts going up I had to changed my setup few years ago. I use PW-50-54-58 and prior was only PW / gap / sand.

Edit: I did notice I got a bit more spin in the 19 model over the 16. Not talking much, like 200-400 rpm based club but the 19 Pros seem to spin a bit more than 16 Pros if anyone needs a bit more spin. Cally list KBS Tour/Modus as lower spinning shafts with Mid launch (+/-) which works best for me.

Liked the look. Bit clickier than the Mizunos I was hitting alongside them. Lower spin, too.

They are definitely on the list to test when the weather gets better.

Ping G400 Max, 9.5, Tour 65 S Cobra AMP Cell 3+ (13) Taylormade RBZ 3HL (17) Wishon 775HS 3Hyb (21) - Modus 120X Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (5-G) - Modus 120X Mizuno S18 - 56 & 60 - Modus 120X Odyssey Sabertooth www.YourGolfHeadcovers.com

Apex Pro is such a fantastic iron. ‘19 is a touch “clippier” sounding than the ‘16 but not necessarily negative. It’s still very soft feeling. My ‘16 Apex Pros are bent one strong and the carry numbers are identical with the new ones. Maybe a touch more spin with the new ones. They look fantastic!

I’m sure they’ll eventually end up in my bad in 5-7 to go with my MBs.

I hit the 7i inside against the TM P760, Srixom 785, Mizzy 919 Forged and Tour, and Ping i500. Ultimately the Apex Pro was my favorite by a significant margin.

Yes I have an all Cally bag so take as you will but I’d just assume start over and have a golf bag that’s completely mixed. I still love the Apex Pros.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

Just got my Apex Pro 19's. Had the the X utility, X Forged and Apex MB in a mixed set last year. Played 9 holes with them and they are great. I found them long with a soft feel. I went with the 4 iron this year v.s the Utility like I played last year. It's very easy to launch and I'm one club longer with all my irons over all. I have the Nippon Pro Modus 120 X in these as I have had the last few sets that I have played. This is off topic but also added the Apex 18 and 21 hybrid to the mix. I never thought anything would unseat my 815 hybrid, well it's going to get some back up bag time this year. Back to the Apex 19, do yourself a favor and get yourself a set.

Any AP2 users hit these? How do they compare? Thanks

I played 714's but could not get along with them and went 16 Pros. I did hit the 718's next to the 19 Pro and both are great clubs. *Play Titleist woods/wedges and had to try them one more time. IMHO you really cant go wrong with either, its just what fits you best.

I have tried Apex Pro with about 17 different shafts and will say I certainly prefered the shape of the Pro 16’s. However the Pro 19’s are certainly a little bit easier to hit and a hair longer.

Funny I thought I might be the only one that liked the shape a bit more on the 16's. At least at address the softer edges on the 16 (if that makes sense) but from the "overall" look the 19 is way better.

I'm currently playing 716 AP2's and directly compared them at the LGS.

Apex Pro looks slimmer on the top line and a bit more compact. The 718 AP2 was more similar in top line and size. I was getting 166 yds on the Apex Pro and 157 yds on the AP2's. IIRC spin was several hundred rpm lower on the Apex Pro's but launch was about the same for both. I'm a Titleist guy but would say the Apex Pro's felt softer.

I'm currently playing 716 AP2's and directly compared them at the LGS.

Apex Pro looks slimmer on the top line and a bit more compact. The 718 AP2 was more similar in top line and size. I was getting 166 yds on the Apex Pro and 157 yds on the AP2's. IIRC spin was several hundred rpm lower on the Apex Pro's but launch was about the same for both. I'm a Titleist guy but would say the Apex Pro's felt softer.

I find the Apex line (both) to spin less than AP2 by a good amount for my swing. The Apex feels nice for sure. I wouldn't play them though because I got some silly long ones. The 19 may be better for that but the 16 Pro would randomly launch a rocket. Probably great for a player that is very high spin generally. For a low spin player not so much.

Just got my Apex Pro 19's. Had the the X utility, X Forged and Apex MB in a mixed set last year. Played 9 holes with them and they are great. I found them long with a soft feel. I went with the 4 iron this year v.s the Utility like I played last year. It's very easy to launch and I'm one club longer with all my irons over all. I have the Nippon Pro Modus 120 X in these as I have had the last few sets that I have played. This is off topic but also added the Apex 18 and 21 hybrid to the mix. I never thought anything would unseat my 815 hybrid, well it's going to get some back up bag time this year. Back to the Apex 19, do yourself a favor and get yourself a set.

I currently play x forged 2018 5-w with nippon 105s . Seriously looking at Apex pro 19. How do you find pros and cons of these two irons? Thanks.

I finally got on trackman with both yesterday...

I haven't looked into the loft comparisons but I am considering a combo set, well not really anymore after demoing.

Apex pro, awesome looks feel, workable and very consistent for me, even the 4 irons I could launch high and avg. carry was 205, I got really good numbers around.

Apex 19, to me definitely thicker topline, noticeably more offset, very hot but I couldn't stand the feel. I don't know how to describe it but it was almost metal feeling at impact or harsher, maybe clickier more like cast, not sure but I didn't like the sound/feel. Distance was about 5 yards more carry sometimes longer than that over the Apex Pros.

In the long irons I couldn't tell a difference in forgiveness between the two, launch was nearly identical I just got a bit more yardage from Apex but didn't like the feel. I would have gone with at least the 4 if it was more forgiving and easier to hit but the Pro's were just as good IMO.

Anyone else have thoughts or put them on the monitor and compare?

I want the smoke finish but likely going all APEX PRO now.

Do you happen to have any comparison between the Apex 19 vs 16 (my current gamers)? I did originally find them to be hotter than I thought. I managed to get used to that though. Overall I do enjoy the 16s.

Driver: PXG Black Ops Tour-1 10.5deg - Tour AD TP 6S

Fairway Wood: PXG Black Ops 0311 15deg - Tour AD VR 7S
Hybrid: PXG Black Ops 0311 19deg - Tour AD DI Hyb 85S
Irons: PXG Gen6 0311P 4-GW - DG Mid 115
Wedges: Mizuno T24 54 & 58 S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond (Other testing in progress)

Apples to oranges here a bit, but I play the x forged in px lz 6.5 and have been demoing the pro 19 in px 6.5. I have found the pro to be more forgiving and longer, with less spin with lofts matched. Good hits are different but both feel good.

I currently play x forged 2018 5-w with nippon 105s . Seriously looking at Apex pro 19. How do you find pros and cons of these two irons? Thanks.

So those who have gotten your 19 pros (will have full set first of next week) do you feel they are more forgiving than the 16 Pro's?

I have hit the 19 7 Iron a lot this week vs 16 7 Iron and distance I know is a bit more but loft is part of it....but the 19' seems a lot more forgiving to me. Wondering if its just me.

So those who have gotten your 19 pros (will have full set first of next week) do you feel they are more forgiving than the 16 Pro's?

I have hit the 19 7 Iron a lot this week vs 16 7 Iron and distance I know is a bit more but loft is part of it....but the 19' seems a lot more forgiving to me. Wondering if its just me.

My comparison on trackman agrees the 19 is longer and more forgiving I like them more for sure.

Love and own the Standard Apex 19's. According to everybody at WRX I must love super chunky, thick top lines, and massive offset. You guys are all hilarious. Nobody is happy unless they are playing the smallest and thinnest head possible. Love me some internet golfers!

Titleist TSR3 Driver - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2H - Steelfiber FC 75
Callaway Apex Pro 3H - Steelfiber FC 75
Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW - Dynamic Gold 105
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60* - Dynamic Gold 105
Byron Morgan 615 - Fujikura MC Firm
Callaway Chrome Tour

Love and own the Standard Apex 19's. According to everybody at WRX I must love super chunky, thick top lines, and massive offset. You guys are all hilarious. Nobody is happy unless they are playing the smallest and thinnest head possible. Love me some internet golfers!

Apex is great if you want to hit it left. I need an iron with as much neutral fade bias as possible. Im a 1 handicap and have played blades for the last 10 years.