Garmin Approach G80

Bought a G80 a few weeks ago, love it. No problems regarding overheating...

Only real note is this- Swingspeed, therefore numbers, seems slower inside vs. outside. It's like the radar needs space to track- which makes sense. Inside, I have about 6 feet of flight into the net. Today, I did a test after my round-

SS @ course into net(about 20 feet until impact, more space all around the unit) around 105. Come home(5 minute drive, not enough time to cool down), SS inside my garage right at 99-100. Same driver, same balls, same body, same day.

Thoughts? Can radar work differently inside vs. out? Based on my SS and real GPS'd distances averaged outside- I should hit a driver about 265 average. 100mph x 2.55 is 255 yards, 105 x 2.55 is 267 yards- more what I would predict. 265 is real life average for me, I can mishit 250 or cork one 285/290, but 265 is a normal drive(I'm a 3 cap, can strike the ball well).

What's with the inside/outside variation?

• 2 weeks later...

The only issue I’ve experienced at the range not recording any data is with late afternoon shadows. Here in central Florida that means anytime between 5-8pm can cause havoc on the G80. I’ve had some success putting a head cover on the ground next to G80 and moving my bag so that it casts a complete shadow over my swing path. It’s still going to miss more often than not same range / same balls in 90 degree heat at noon? No problem with G80 at all

Test it out - if you see a big shadow in front of your driver (ie towards ball) at address, chances are you won’t get any reading.

• 1 month later...

Wrote this in the S62 thread but i am writing it here aswell. Bought the Garmin approach G80 the other day but i am starting to have second thoughts. I like the larger screen and the launch monitor is cool but i would only use it sometimes during summer. During the winter my home range have simulators with top tracer so the launch monitor would not be neccesery. The S62 on the other hand have auto shot feature and virtua caddie along with other sports features. I am on the other hand not used to wearing watches. I can not decide!!

I had a Garmin watch for years. It was the first watch they made with a color map. I really liked the convenience of wearing a GPS watch. Obviously it was a bit more difficult to use the interactive display map but it responded well to using a tee for tapping.

after 4-5 years the charging contact started to act up. I chose the G80 because I wanted the radar and practice games. I found them to be invaluable for what I use them for. I can swing a 7 iron 88 mph but sometimes only swing driver 97. It’s a technique flaw I have with driver. So the G80 radar lets me see the real time results of a driver swing change I’m making at range.

if I already had a launch monitor though I would have gone watch all the way. On course I primarily use a laser and just use GPS if I’m 2 FW over or as verification that laser is hitting the flag.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this thread because I have a question for you regarding altitude adjusted distances. I saw that on the last software update Garmin added altitude adjusted distances. Can someone speak to the accuracy of the feature? My regular course is 8,000 feet above sea level and so that feature would help a lot. Maybe by "altitude adjustment" Garmin is referring to slope with too many words. Also, for anyone that also has a laser, how good are the slope adjusted distances? Thanks!

4 hours ago, Jota_Jota said:

Bumping this thread because I have a question for you regarding altitude adjusted distances. I saw that on the last software update Garmin added altitude adjusted distances. Can someone speak to the accuracy of the feature? My regular course is 8,000 feet above sea level and so that feature would help a lot. Maybe by "altitude adjustment" Garmin is referring to slope with too many words. Also, for anyone that also has a laser, how good are the slope adjusted distances? Thanks!

I believe I posted something on my experience with altitude or the roll factor adjustment previously. When in Palm Springs for 3 months at 480 ft above sea level, I found I'm about 1 club short compared to my home course at 3100 ft above sea level.   I had to crank up my G80 "Roll Factor" located under the Warm Up mode settings and it helped with the the distance, when I got home I adjusted it down accordingly and my G80 distances are very close to actuals confirmed with my Bushnell Pro 7 laser or by using the G80 "Measure Shot" mode in the settings under Start New Round.  Suggest you experiment on the course with performance balls not range balls and you may be surprised how accurate it is.  

Edit: There is also the "Plays Like" option when your in New Round, you can adjust the setting for that hole ... see pic. 

Trust this helps,

Cheers

David 

P1060037.JPG

Edited by ZipinZ

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

On 9/15/2020 at 7:27 PM, ZipinZ said:

I believe I posted something on my experience with altitude or the roll factor adjustment previously. When in Palm Springs for 3 months at 480 ft above sea level, I found I'm about 1 club short compared to my home course at 3100 ft above sea level.   I had to crank up my G80 "Roll Factor" located under the Warm Up mode settings and it helped with the the distance, when I got home I adjusted it down accordingly and my G80 distances are very close to actuals confirmed with my Bushnell Pro 7 laser or by using the G80 "Measure Shot" mode in the settings under Start New Round.  Suggest you experiment on the course with performance balls not range balls and you may be surprised how accurate it is.  

Edit: There is also the "Plays Like" option when your in New Round, you can adjust the setting for that hole ... see pic. 

Trust this helps,

Cheers

David 

P1060037.JPG

Thanks, David! Just to clarify: is the PlaysLike distance an automatic adjustment or a manual one? And that would only account for slope, right? But I can max out the roll out to get a more precise understanding of my carry distances when I'm on the range? Obviously this would all be much simpler if you could assign a particular distance to a particular club. But alas, I suspect this is about making the S62 an arbitrarily superior product 

3 hours ago, Jota_Jota said:

Thanks, David! Just to clarify: is the PlaysLike distance an automatic adjustment or a manual one? And that would only account for slope, right? But I can max out the roll out to get a more precise understanding of my carry distances when I'm on the range? Obviously this would all be much simpler if you could assign a particular distance to a particular club. But alas, I suspect this is about making the S62 an arbitrarily superior product 

Hi J-J ..... the "Plays Like" is a manual push the up/down button on a hole-by-hole basis, I never use it, there's little elevation variance or slope on my home course greens. If I'm playing a different course with lots of elevation changes I use my lazer which has a slope option.

I use the "Roll Out" as mentioned I adjust it depending on where I'm playing, from my testing, there is a big difference in distance accuracy when using performance golf balls vs most range balls.

Haven't looked at the Garmin S62 watch, got to many gadgets now. The problem I have with watches is the size of the dial/numbers, I need single vision R/X glasses for distance and can't read the small print, don't have a problem with seeing the the G80 info/numbers.  

All the best ....

D.

Edited by ZipinZ

Ping DLX Cart Bag

Got the G80 a week ago, having major issues of it reading range balls. Currently in contact with Garmin. Noticed ZipinZ made a comment regarding range balls.

The Garmin Rep I have been working with originally stated no complaints for over a year regarding old or new range balls. Range balls should not be an issue.

What I have noticed with regard to my local range, Wilson Limited Range balls tend to give me 0 as a reading. Srixon range are fine or any other range ball that does not have 'Limited Range' stamped on them. I was told by golf course staff that Wilson Limited balls have metal in them and that they had issues with Trackman not properly working with those range balls. I have reached out to Wilson and am awaiting response back. I have also passed this on to Garmin. Can anyone confirm Wilson Limited Range range balls are an issue. Currently don't have any other ranges open to test other range balls, I did test a few dozen of my own personnel balls on the range and they recorded fine. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sundancekid said:

Got the G80 a week ago, having major issues of it reading range balls. Currently in contact with Garmin. Noticed ZipinZ made a comment regarding range balls.

The Garmin Rep I have been working with originally stated no complaints for over a year regarding old or new range balls. Range balls should not be an issue.

What I have noticed with regard to my local range, Wilson Limited Range balls tend to give me 0 as a reading. Srixon range are fine or any other range ball that does not have 'Limited Range' stamped on them. I was told by golf course staff that Wilson Limited balls have metal in them and that they had issues with Trackman not properly working with those range balls. I have reached out to Wilson and am awaiting response back. I have also passed this on to Garmin. Can anyone confirm Wilson Limited Range range balls are an issue. Currently don't have any other ranges open to test other range balls, I did test a few dozen of my own personnel balls on the range and they recorded fine. 

You must be referring to my Post on Page 9 dated May 02nd, (odd the new platform no longer tracks post #'s).  I haven't been back to that course so can't tell you what brand the range balls were that wouldn't record any stats.

Look forward to an update on your findings.

Cheers

D.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

• 4 weeks later...

All our courses are closed, got 3-4" snow in Central Alberta, it's -5C now or 23F going down to -17C or +1F tonight .... too early for this chit.  What's even more disappointing is we had to cancell out rental as were unable to travel to Palm Springs for 3.5 months, the border is closed to nonessential travel due to the virus and we don't see it opening anytime soon. We possibly could fly down, but not prepared to take the risk & pay the extra costs for health insurance & car rentals with a Cdn dollar that's 30% less that USD.

Charged up my G80 & S5 watch to 100% & packed them up for the year, they will be fine this way over the off season.

If your still out on your home course .... enjoy & stay safe/healthy.

Cheers

David

Edited by ZipinZ

Ping DLX Cart Bag

• 1 month later...

I currently got the G30 but been looking into the G80 for the larger screen and launch monitor.

My G30 with its small screen can display arcs for the 100, 150, 200 markers and I wonder if this is possible on the G80?

I have not seen this on any of the review videos on Youtube, the G80 seem to just have a colored dot for each marker, like the S60 and S62 or can you alter some setting to get these arcs?

Edited:
Added pictures from the G30 and G80 Support Pages.
First pic is the arcs on the G30 and second is G80 with no arcs....

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Reckie

• 3 months later...

Got this reminder from Garmin, for your consideration.

D.

Edited by ZipinZ

Ping DLX Cart Bag

So is it generally accepted that the ball speed and club head speed (measurements) are pretty good on the G80?  From there you can get reasonably estimated carry distances for iron shots. The reviews I've seen have the carry distances acceptable to me (generally < 5 yards) compared to high end launch monitors until you get to the woods. From there spin and launch variables play havoc with the numbers. I don't care about total distance. In fact if possible I think I would turn the roll setting to basically zero.

Considering getting one to work on tracking my progress increasing swing speed primarily and maybe to work on gapping wedges / irons as a bonus. The touch targeting and hole view would be nice in GPS mode as that is the only information I don't have at my finger tips currently. 

I don't have the space to hit balls indoors so not worried about simulator capabilities and I haven't been convinced that the spin number provided by the other $500 LM's are accurate enough to give up the GPS functionality that I would gain with the G80. 

So is it generally accepted that the ball speed and club head speed (measurements) are pretty good on the G80? 

Yes from my field testing, as well another member posted herein that he had his G80 s-x-s a trackman and advised the results were similar.

The launch monitor features including the Tempo training helped me improved my swing & increase my s/s. The GPS features is a bonus, it's very accurate & I rarely use my Bushnell Laser. 

I'm a bit surprised Garmin didn't release a new upgraded model this year, or perhaps it's yet to be released.... anyone have any inside intel?

D.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

49 minutes ago, ZipinZ said:

So is it generally accepted that the ball speed and club head speed (measurements) are pretty good on the G80? 

Yes from my field testing, as well another member posted herein that he had his G80 s-x-s a trackman and advised the results were similar.

The launch monitor features including the Tempo training helped me improved my swing & increase my s/s. The GPS features is a bonus, it's very accurate & I rarely use my Bushnell Laser. 

I'm a bit surprised Garmin didn't release a new upgraded model this year, or perhaps it's yet to be released.... anyone have any inside intel?

D.

Thanks. Tempting at $400.  Wonder when the upgrade is coming .. . .

Garmin reduced the price, now through April 18, perhaps something New will be announce soon, anyone know ???

D. 

image.png.b8105660a7a8e94c9421676356edd7e3.png

image.png.b2056324a9dbf619be510576f88c3dd5.png

Edited by ZipinZ

Ping DLX Cart Bag

I have to say that this is pretty good launch monitor. I’ve been using it in a field with a shag bag to hit short irons and the results are very accurate. I’ll hit my AW using the radar to estimate the distance and then use the GPS to “measure shot” and the radar line a almost dead on- it’s only off by a yard or two. The measurement of total distance is what’s accurate. Given that it was AW, SW and LW’s that I was measuring, there was no roll, and the total distance was within a yard or two- carry distance was short. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Honeybadger said:

I have to say that this is pretty good launch monitor. I’ve been using it in a field with a shag bag to hit short irons and the results are very accurate. I’ll hit my AW using the radar to estimate the distance and then use the GPS to “measure shot” and the radar line a almost dead on- it’s only off by a yard or two. The measurement of total distance is what’s accurate. Given that it was AW, SW and LW’s that I was measuring, there was no roll, and the total distance was within a yard or two- carry distance was short. 

So for your wedges the actual carry distance was reflected in the total distance from the G80? Was the carry distance consistently short by x yards? This reinforces my hesitancy in picking one of these up. Need the carry to be within 2-3 yards for short irons to make it useful. Otherwise its just a GPS and swing speed / ball speed tool.

4 hours ago, Dan13 said:

So for your wedges the actual carry distance was reflected in the total distance from the G80? Was the carry distance consistently short by x yards? This reinforces my hesitancy in picking one of these up. Need the carry to be within 2-3 yards for short irons to make it useful. Otherwise its just a GPS and swing speed / ball speed tool.

I haven’t made note of the carry distance differences- just that total distance was near perfect. Sorry. 

8 minutes ago, Honeybadger said:

I haven’t made note of the carry distance differences- just that total distance was near perfect. Sorry. 

Ok. You seem to have confidence in the numbers. That is the most important thing. Couldn't do it that way at the range though. I would have to find an open field or an empty course . . .

43 minutes ago, Dan13 said:

Ok. You seem to have confidence in the numbers. That is the most important thing. Couldn't do it that way at the range though. I would have to find an open field or an empty course . . .

I’ll try again this week and post my results- right now the soccer field across the street from my house that I hit wedges on has soccer players on it- the nerve! 😜

I have a friend that has one of those professional launch monitors that I’m also going to use to see how accurate my G80 is- I’ll also post the comparison with my long irons and woods.