Bought a G80 a few weeks ago, love it. No problems regarding overheating...

Only real note is this- Swingspeed, therefore numbers, seems slower inside vs. outside. It's like the radar needs space to track- which makes sense. Inside, I have about 6 feet of flight into the net. Today, I did a test after my round-

SS @ course into net(about 20 feet until impact, more space all around the unit) around 105. Come home(5 minute drive, not enough time to cool down), SS inside my garage right at 99-100. Same driver, same balls, same body, same day.

Thoughts? Can radar work differently inside vs. out? Based on my SS and real GPS'd distances averaged outside- I should hit a driver about 265 average. 100mph x 2.55 is 255 yards, 105 x 2.55 is 267 yards- more what I would predict. 265 is real life average for me, I can mishit 250 or cork one 285/290, but 265 is a normal drive(I'm a 3 cap, can strike the ball well).

What's with the inside/outside variation?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Feb 23rd ….. went to the range today and started with the “Warm Up” mode, was hitting the ball much better, the G80 was picking up almost every shot including my driver. After warming up I tried out

As previously posted, had mine for over a year, it's just sitting there looking at me wanting to get back out on the course .... but that's not going to happen just yet, were still under lock down, th

Feb 16th, it was 81F/27C, after 20 or so balls it happened again, unit shut down, this was the error message, covered it up with my damp towel turned it back on worked fine, after covered it up again

Posted Images

The only issue I’ve experienced at the range not recording any data is with late afternoon shadows. Here in central Florida that means anytime between 5-8pm can cause havoc on the G80. I’ve had some success putting a head cover on the ground next to G80 and moving my bag so that it casts a complete shadow over my swing path. It’s still going to miss more often than not same range / same balls in 90 degree heat at noon? No problem with G80 at all

Test it out - if you see a big shadow in front of your driver (ie towards ball) at address, chances are you won’t get any reading.

Thanks for that changelog (I know this is delayed). Been trying to find if they updated to have Android notifications work as well. As the garmin website still just says Apple only.

• 1 month later...

Wrote this in the S62 thread but i am writing it here aswell. Bought the Garmin approach G80 the other day but i am starting to have second thoughts. I like the larger screen and the launch monitor is cool but i would only use it sometimes during summer. During the winter my home range have simulators with top tracer so the launch monitor would not be neccesery. The S62 on the other hand have auto shot feature and virtua caddie along with other sports features. I am on the other hand not used to wearing watches. I can not decide!!

I had a Garmin watch for years. It was the first watch they made with a color map. I really liked the convenience of wearing a GPS watch. Obviously it was a bit more difficult to use the interactive display map but it responded well to using a tee for tapping.

after 4-5 years the charging contact started to act up. I chose the G80 because I wanted the radar and practice games. I found them to be invaluable for what I use them for. I can swing a 7 iron 88 mph but sometimes only swing driver 97. It’s a technique flaw I have with driver. So the G80 radar lets me see the real time results of a driver swing change I’m making at range.

if I already had a launch monitor though I would have gone watch all the way. On course I primarily use a laser and just use GPS if I’m 2 FW over or as verification that laser is hitting the flag.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this thread because I have a question for you regarding altitude adjusted distances. I saw that on the last software update Garmin added altitude adjusted distances. Can someone speak to the accuracy of the feature? My regular course is 8,000 feet above sea level and so that feature would help a lot. Maybe by "altitude adjustment" Garmin is referring to slope with too many words. Also, for anyone that also has a laser, how good are the slope adjusted distances? Thanks!

4 hours ago, Jota_Jota said:

Bumping this thread because I have a question for you regarding altitude adjusted distances. I saw that on the last software update Garmin added altitude adjusted distances. Can someone speak to the accuracy of the feature? My regular course is 8,000 feet above sea level and so that feature would help a lot. Maybe by "altitude adjustment" Garmin is referring to slope with too many words. Also, for anyone that also has a laser, how good are the slope adjusted distances? Thanks!

I believe I posted something on my experience with altitude or the roll factor adjustment previously. When in Palm Springs for 3 months at 480 ft above sea level, I found I'm about 1 club short compared to my home course at 3100 ft above sea level.   I had to crank up my G80 "Roll Factor" located under the Warm Up mode settings and it helped with the the distance, when I got home I adjusted it down accordingly and my G80 distances are very close to actuals confirmed with my Bushnell Pro 7 laser or by using the G80 "Measure Shot" mode in the settings under Start New Round.  Suggest you experiment on the course with performance balls not range balls and you may be surprised how accurate it is.  

Edit: There is also the "Plays Like" option when your in New Round, you can adjust the setting for that hole ... see pic. 

Trust this helps,

Cheers

David 

P1060037.JPG

Edited by ZipinZ

Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
Ping G410 4/22* HYB -Tensei Pro Orange 80S Hybrid
Ping G410 3/19* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
Titleist SM6 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
Ping DLX Cart Bag -  V1 Sport Push Cart
Garmin Approach G80

On 9/15/2020 at 7:27 PM, ZipinZ said:

I believe I posted something on my experience with altitude or the roll factor adjustment previously. When in Palm Springs for 3 months at 480 ft above sea level, I found I'm about 1 club short compared to my home course at 3100 ft above sea level.   I had to crank up my G80 "Roll Factor" located under the Warm Up mode settings and it helped with the the distance, when I got home I adjusted it down accordingly and my G80 distances are very close to actuals confirmed with my Bushnell Pro 7 laser or by using the G80 "Measure Shot" mode in the settings under Start New Round.  Suggest you experiment on the course with performance balls not range balls and you may be surprised how accurate it is.  

Edit: There is also the "Plays Like" option when your in New Round, you can adjust the setting for that hole ... see pic. 

Trust this helps,

Cheers

David 

P1060037.JPG

Thanks, David! Just to clarify: is the PlaysLike distance an automatic adjustment or a manual one? And that would only account for slope, right? But I can max out the roll out to get a more precise understanding of my carry distances when I'm on the range? Obviously this would all be much simpler if you could assign a particular distance to a particular club. But alas, I suspect this is about making the S62 an arbitrarily superior product 

3 hours ago, Jota_Jota said:

Thanks, David! Just to clarify: is the PlaysLike distance an automatic adjustment or a manual one? And that would only account for slope, right? But I can max out the roll out to get a more precise understanding of my carry distances when I'm on the range? Obviously this would all be much simpler if you could assign a particular distance to a particular club. But alas, I suspect this is about making the S62 an arbitrarily superior product 

Hi J-J ..... the "Plays Like" is a manual push the up/down button on a hole-by-hole basis, I never use it, there's little elevation variance or slope on my home course greens. If I'm playing a different course with lots of elevation changes I use my lazer which has a slope option.

I use the "Roll Out" as mentioned I adjust it depending on where I'm playing, from my testing, there is a big difference in distance accuracy when using performance golf balls vs most range balls.

Haven't looked at the Garmin S62 watch, got to many gadgets now. The problem I have with watches is the size of the dial/numbers, I need single vision R/X glasses for distance and can't read the small print, don't have a problem with seeing the the G80 info/numbers.  

All the best ....

D.

Edited by ZipinZ

Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
Ping G410 4/22* HYB -Tensei Pro Orange 80S Hybrid
Ping G410 3/19* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
Titleist SM6 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
Ping DLX Cart Bag -  V1 Sport Push Cart
Garmin Approach G80