2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Garmin Approach G80

On 3/22/2021 at 6:56 PM, Dan13 said:

That would be great. Look forward to it - especially for shorter irons / lower ball speeds where the accuracy might be better. 

Wow- I was impressed with the accuracy in comparison to the professional (around $16k) machine. The ball speed and carry distance were dead on- through the entire set of irons. The carry distance was within 1 or 2 yards.  Hit my AW, 8 iron, 7 iron, 6 iron and 5 iron. The most important takeaway is that the G80 was within 1 or 2 yards of the carry distance on clean hits. The G80 is not accurate on mishits- of course because it doesn’t measure spin and launch angle. I have to say, I was very impressed. Can you tell I’m impressed? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Honeybadger said:

Wow- I was impressed with the accuracy in comparison to the professional (around $16k) machine. The ball speed and carry distance were dead on- through the entire set of irons. The carry distance was within 1 or 2 yards.  Hit my AW, 8 iron, 7 iron, 6 iron and 5 iron. The most important takeaway is that the G80 was within 1 or 2 yards of the carry distance on clean hits. The G80 is not accurate on mishits- of course because it doesn’t measure spin and launch angle. I have to say, I was very impressed. Can you tell I’m impressed? 

Thanks for posting. Your experience matches up with what I’ve seen watching far too many review videos. Very accurate ball speed and pretty accurate club head speed. Carry distance on decent strikes is also good. I’m still not confident enough to use it for gapping my clubs though. Ironically if I used this for GPS on the course instead of my Garmin watch I wouldn’t be able to review my club distances after the round on the app - Which should be better data. 

First time on the course with the G80. I loved the “plays like feature.” I regularly play a pretty hilly course and I had an uphill blind shot that was 160- I hit the plays like feature and it said 175. I clubbed up and put it in the middle of the green. Worked nicely on the downhill shots as well. 
I also liked that he scorecard also keeps stats and that are uploaded to the app. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone use one of these for speed training? Seems they have corrected an issue where it would top out at 114 mph (which if using speed sticks, isn't ridiculous for many when using that lighter club).  I haven't fully tested it but it at least gets up to 130 mph now.  

I know I am in the minority for this one and finding someone else that can confirm or deny this will be a stretch, but anyone else notice it seems to cap at 178 mph ball speed?  It still does even after the fix so it is quite annoying.  I wanted to kill two birds with one stone which was gps for the course, and a simple swing and ball speed monitor for the range to do speed training with.

I do have a request with Garmin to look into this but I haven't heard back yet.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 2:55 PM, CantJumpHighHandicap said:

Can anyone who owns the G80 please do me a favor and confirm if it will read your tempo on putts

Would love to be able to use it for training putting tempo as well and appreciate any help with confirming before I buy - thanks!

No ... it will not pick up Tempo on putts, the radar won't pick up anything less than 30 mph.  That said it sure helped improve my swing tempo & got me making better contact with my irons & driver & my handicap went down too .... got to update my sig, I'm down to 9.3 this season. 

From my field testing (Page 5 about 1/2 way down for pic's) I went back to 10 yds out with very little green to work with, hit 60* wedge and was not getting any recordings until I lied the club open and starting hitting flop shots, then it started to record. It appears you need at least 30 +/-mph club speed for the radar to work.

Cheers

David

Edited by ZipinZ

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

48 minutes ago, ZipinZ said:

No ... it will not pick up Tempo on putts, the radar won't pick up anything less than 30 mph.  That said it sure helped improve my swing tempo & got me making better contact with my irons & driver & my handicap went down too .... got to update my sig, I'm down to 8.2 this season. 

From my field testing (Page 5 about 1/2 way down for pic's) I went back to 10 yds out with very little green to work with, hit 60* wedge and was not getting any recordings until I lied the club open and starting hitting flop shots, then it started to record. It appears you need at least 30 +/-mph club speed for the radar to work.

Cheers

David

Thanks very much David, really appreciate the time and insight!

• 3 weeks later...

I will add to this thread that the “plays like” mode is very accurate on this device.. my biggest weakness on course management is clubbing up or down and this device has definitely helped me tune in my course management.. also very good hitting into a net.. which I do daily.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My trusty Garmin G6, which has given me years of reliable service, stopped working after I played with it in torrential rain. I thought it was waterproof but in reality I guess it was really only 'shower proof' and I should have tucked it away in my bag when the rain got really heavy. Anyway I was looking to upgrade to the latest and greatest. The G8 has been discontinued and the G30 is smaller than the G6 and I always liked the idea of upgrading to a larger unit with a bigger screen. I wasn't really looking for a launch monitor but reading through this thread has me intrigued so I bought the G80 yesterday. Taking it to the range for my first session with it today. I'm curious to know how accurate it is because I have recently upgraded irons and I'm still figuring out how far I hit them. I will hopefully get to try out the GPS features when I play this weekend. 

I was on the fence about the G80 but reading this thread and all the great reviews convinced me.

Thanks guys. 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

• 3 weeks later...

Got this notice from Garmin the other day, the R10 looks interesting. Anyone thinking on getting one ?

USA Link .... https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/695391

Canadian .... https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/695391

D.

image.png.44696251e7b3fd257e9a55dc7ab80b36.png

image.png.abf63d540fd2e8ee36323d09ed496e0b.png

image.png.84a59545780ef5edf44b5c00192dba56.png

Edited by ZipinZ

Ping DLX Cart Bag

14 hours ago, ZipinZ said:

Got this notice from Garmin the other day, the R10 looks interesting. Anyone thinking on getting one ?

There's already a long running thread on it.  Lots of people apparently.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1822406-garmin-approach-r10-portable-golf-launch-monitor/

Edited by Stuart_G

• 1 month later...

Hi All - I am considering purchasing one of thse G80 units, but at $500 for a 3+ year old device, I am having cold feet, especially also going into winter.

A couple things about me:

- I live in the city - so there is no indoor use possible. Condo life - sigh.

- I would like a monitor to use at the range and from time to time on the course. 

- GPS is a bonus - part of why i think the g80 would be a good choice for me

Are there any other similar units to consider? I think the r10 looks cool ,but considering my use, i still feel the g80 makes more sense for me - less money, has GPS, and does what i need it to do outside.

Is the G80 due for an update or price drop?

Any help or thoughts are appreciated! 

Driver: Titleist TSR2 (C4) w/HZRDUS Black 70g 6.0

3/4 Wood: TItleist TSR2 (A1) w/HZRDUS Black 70g 6.0

7w/Hybrid/UW: 21 Degree Callaway UW w/HZRDUS Black 70 g 6.0

4 Iron: Callaway Apex 21 DCB w/UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 65 Graphite

5-AW: Callaway Apex 21 w/True Temper Elevate 95 Steel

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 (54, 14F, 58, 14K) - Option for LBK when needed

Putter: Toulon Design Chicago, 33in

Grips: Golf Pride Z Grip Cord

Bag: Ping Pioneer (Cart/Pushcart), Ping Hoofer (Carry/Travel)

S .... contact Garmin customer service directly, I called them about 1 year ago and they answered all my tech Q's regarding my unit.  I asked that very question back then and was told no plans in the immediate future, that was a year ago.  They just released the Approach R10, but it doesn't have GPS which for me is a must have feature.

I did a quick search on E-bay and there are a number of used units for $425.00 or some up for auction that may sell for less.

Link ... https://www.ebay.com/itm/334141237012?epid=8030648602&hash=item4dcc5ea714:g:vSAAAOSwKZBhN42E

Another ... https://www.ebay.com/itm/265342674509?hash=item3dc7a7e64d%3Ag%3Aq7MAAOSw6pZhWhyY&LH_Auction=1

If my G80 stopped working or I lost it or someone ripped it off .... I would buy another immediately.  

If you decide to buy one, you won't be disappointed.

Cheers

David

Ping DLX Cart Bag

I really appreciate the reply! Joining the club here soon 🙂

On 10/4/2021 at 11:17 AM, slipstitchpass said:

Hi All - I am considering purchasing one of thse G80 units, but at $500 for a 3+ year old device, I am having cold feet, especially also going into winter.

- I would like a monitor to use at the range and from time to time on the course. 

Are there any other similar units to consider? I think the r10 looks cool ,but considering my use, i still feel the g80 makes more sense for me - less money, has GPS, and does what i need it to do outside.

I bought my G80 two years ago during the Black Friday sales from Golf Galaxy.

The unit was marked down $100, and I had a in-store coupon from Golf Galaxy for another $100.

Take a look on-line and stores around you around Black Friday to see if the price drops.

Initially my carry and total distance numbers were off from the 8 iron thru driver. However after updates from Garmin the numbers are better.

Please note, outside at the range, using range balls, you will not get accurate numbers.

My G6 broke so I needed a GPS, so for what I paid for the G80 I'm happy.

BTW a Garmin update added the ability to measure swing speed without having to hit a ball.  This makes the G80 compatible with swing speed training clubs.

bought the unit (i had a similar good deal and a $150 gift card to use) and i think its cool.

I actually had it at topgolf and the numbers for carry were pretty close - despite the crappy topgolf balls

I used as gps for a quick 9 which was very nice vs the usual lazering of every pin.

Hopefully this thing lasts a season (next) before its updated or beat - but for now, i think its a cool gadget at a decent price for what it is vs competition.

• 4 weeks later...

So, my Garmin 80 will now track shots like the Arcoss - no sensors, you just have to measure shot from wherever you hit and the app will keep the data. My free Arcoss subscription ended and now there definitely no reason to renew. The G80 is a very accurate launch monitor beside a GPS and now it tracks your shots- a nice triple whammy. 

2 hours ago, Honeybadger said:

So, my Garmin 80 will now track shots like the Arcoss - no sensors, you just have to measure shot from wherever you hit and the app will keep the data. My free Arcoss subscription ended and now there definitely no reason to renew. The G80 is a very accurate launch monitor beside a GPS and now it tracks your shots- a nice triple whammy. 

https://i.imgur.com/4AtqHup.jpg

Edited by ZipinZ

Ping DLX Cart Bag

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Activated mine last week but have trouble loading the Tournament in Virtual Round, does it work for any of you guys?

When loading the course I get this error: "Data request failed due to a server error. Try again later".

My G80 sync fine with the Golf app through Bluetooth and ive given the app all the permissions I possibly can.

Edited by Reckie

29 minutes ago, Reckie said:

Activated mine last week but have trouble loading the Tournament in Virtual Round, does it work for any of you guys?

When loading the course I get this error: "Data request failed due to a server error. Try again later".

My G80 sync fine with the Golf app through Bluetooth and ive given the app all the permissions I possibly can.

Wish I could share some info, however, this is something I haven't tried, perhaps others can respond to your Q.   Consider contacting Garmin customer services help desk I had some old software upgrade issues and they responded promptly. If you're able to trouble shoot & resolve pls share your finding.  Cheers  David

Ping DLX Cart Bag

2 hours ago, ZipinZ said:

Wish I could share some info, however, this is something I haven't tried, perhaps others can respond to your Q.   Consider contacting Garmin customer services help desk I had some old software upgrade issues and they responded promptly. If you're able to trouble shoot & resolve pls share your finding.  Cheers  David

Thanks, it should just be a matter of pairing the G80 to your phone and then select Virtual Round -> Tournament on the G80 but for me it results in an error message about the server (or connection).

Ive been chatting with support who requested a lot of info, thought I would ask here before spending another evening on this problem. 🙂 

Edited by Reckie

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 11:17 AM, slipstitchpass said:

For what it is worth, look into this year's upcoming Black Friday sales. I got my G80 years ago, on Black Friday weekend for $200 off at Golf Galaxy. The G80 was $100 off, and Golf Galaxy had a $100 off in-store coupon for items listed $499 and above.  I have seen the price drop for the G80 around Black Friday before at multiple stores, and on Amazon.

My G6 had stopped working and I needed a new GPS. The Launch monitor functions were a added plus.

• 1 month later...

TWO QUESTIONS:

1. Has anyone found inaccuracies with the “My Bag” average distances per club- does one or two downhill shots through off you averages? 

2.  Anyone have trouble with their “Dream Round” feature updating in course stats? 

thanks 

Edited by Honeybadger

• 2 weeks later...

HoneyB ... not sure about your Q's, unable to comment.  I did find my actual club distances on the range and on the actual course were similar to the "Est Carry & Roll" while using the "Warm Up" feature after I decreased my Roll factor to 50%.

For those having Trouble Uploading Round Stats on your PC.

I was having trouble with my G80 NOT uploading my round stats using Garmin Express/Connect, after you hit Save the Round.  Did this for 3 rounds.

I went into the G80 settings then hit the "Reset Settings & Data" tab, had to fill in Driver Distance, Yards, MPH, and Scoring = Stroke Play with Stats Tracking = On

Played well today, shot 40/37 = 77 & the fix worked, all my stats uploaded in my Garmin Connect Dashboard.

D.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2021 at 2:36 PM, clevited said:

Anyone use one of these for speed training? Seems they have corrected an issue where it would top out at 114 mph (which if using speed sticks, isn't ridiculous for many when using that lighter club).  I haven't fully tested it but it at least gets up to 130 mph now.  

I know I am in the minority for this one and finding someone else that can confirm or deny this will be a stretch, but anyone else notice it seems to cap at 178 mph ball speed?  It still does even after the fix so it is quite annoying.  I wanted to kill two birds with one stone which was gps for the course, and a simple swing and ball speed monitor for the range to do speed training with.

I do have a request with Garmin to look into this but I haven't heard back yet.

Search forum for this exact problem. Started speed training and ballspeed capped out at 178. Did you ever go anywhere with this problem? 

On 10/16/2022 at 11:56 AM, CSagan said:

Search forum for this exact problem. Started speed training and ballspeed capped out at 178. Did you ever go anywhere with this problem? 

No, not that I am aware of but I haven't checked for an update in a few months.  Doubt they have addressed it.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

• 4 months later...

Time to give this old thread a bump.

I'm back in Palm Springs & was out on the range today using my G80's "Warm Up" mode, I'm still working on my Tempo & S/S since I got my unit, it's improving .... slowly.  

Back on Feb 19, 2019 I bought my G80 and started posting my findings on this thread & still love it today. I would of thought Garmin would of released an updated G80 something version by now with new features, but it doesn't look like it or does someone here have any intel to share ?

I understand their Approach R10 is a decent launch monitor, I didn't invest in one because my G80 is still working like the day I got it & I really like the GPS accuracy & Garmin Express Score/Stat tracking features. 

While here I had the opportunity to get in on a Ping Custom Fitting at the Desert Willow Academy of Golf and decided to invest in some new Ping G430 irons/Recoil ES 780 F4 shafts. Ping delivered last week they're built exactly to my custom spec. I gained 4/5 mph additional ball speed which = a bit more distance, very happy with my new sticks they kicked my 718 AP2's out of the bag. 

The G80 is amazing it's confirmed my Trackman fitting numbers for ball speed and very close to Trackman's est carry.  On the range I was hitting to various yardage pins that my Bushnell Rangefinder confirmed the distances. The G80 distance numbers were still very close to where I could see the range balls ended up, bonus for a gadget under $500.00.

Hope others who own one are still happy with your G80.

Cheers

David

image.png.707ccf7b380cd5487ac60941282c04ad.png

A few range pic's  of Desert Willow range & G430's ....

P1090095(1).JPG.d5c02ecbf005e37c91b64b6926259ef4.JPG

P1090096(1).JPG.a9a372e5887c57f98566a92015665985.JPG

P1090331(1).JPG.bcc5f4d0ab746113766455f2fbd938de.JPG

P1090334(1).JPG.28fa162f11bced3007f06503c8845100.JPG

P1090345(1).JPG.016df74459dac343d9ab33291834aaee.JPG

P1090307.JPG.7d01fab36e46cb3fa599b3ff5a68166b.JPG

P1090321(1).JPG.f58dda0f99846a0e1bf57d60372347fc.JPG

1224779537_4iron.JPG.1000833840249a88ce239ec62412afa8.JPG

Edited by ZipinZ