2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Garmin Approach G80

> @dbdors said:

> > @Zip-in-Z said:

> > **Dbdors,** .... it appears the G80 doesn't have a Distance Calculator or Odometer, at least I couldn't see it when I ended the round ... that sucks.

> >

> > After the round I connected the G80 to my PC and it automatically downloads & sync's today's Score Card into the Garmin Express program on my system. This is the screens & info it gathers.

> Wow, that is a complete fail by Garmin. Sounds like they had to sacrifice something to make it all work and distance traveled was it.

> I use the Garmin Golf app as well to review my rounds.

> BTW, did you record every hole score while playing. It feels like on the G8 if I miss a hole, the distance wont be captured. So before I close my round I make sure that I have every hole recored. In either case if it was there, that would at least be a screen with the DT on it. Might be an empty value, but would be there.

> Again, major fail by Garmin if you ask me, such a simple piece of data to gather.

>

Hello,

Just a friendly FYI that we have released a 2.61 public beta for the Approach G80 that specifically added the display of round distance traveled to Scorecard and Round Summary pages. We know there was a lot of demand for this, and now we have it. If you wish to give it a try, please go to the link below for more information.

https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/golf/f/approach-g80/165190/approach-g80---2-61-beta-release

Luke R.

Garmin Outdoor Software Quality Team

> @Luke_ODSWENG said:

> > @dbdors said:

> > > @Zip-in-Z said:

> > > **Dbdors,** .... it appears the G80 doesn't have a Distance Calculator or Odometer, at least I couldn't see it when I ended the round ... that sucks.

> > >

> > > After the round I connected the G80 to my PC and it automatically downloads & sync's today's Score Card into the Garmin Express program on my system. This is the screens & info it gathers.

> > Wow, that is a complete fail by Garmin. Sounds like they had to sacrifice something to make it all work and distance traveled was it.

> > I use the Garmin Golf app as well to review my rounds.

> > BTW, did you record every hole score while playing. It feels like on the G8 if I miss a hole, the distance wont be captured. So before I close my round I make sure that I have every hole recored. In either case if it was there, that would at least be a screen with the DT on it. Might be an empty value, but would be there.

> > Again, major fail by Garmin if you ask me, such a simple piece of data to gather.

> >

>

> Hello,

>

> Just a friendly FYI that we have released a 2.61 public beta for the Approach G80 that specifically added the display of round distance traveled to Scorecard and Round Summary pages. We know there was a lot of demand for this, and now we have it. If you wish to give it a try, please go to the link below for more information.

> https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/golf/f/approach-g80/165190/approach-g80---2-61-beta-release

>

> Luke R.

> Garmin Outdoor Software Quality Team

That is great news.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid 2 / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

I'm seriously considering buying a G80 and it's good to see new features being added with firmware.

One question I have regarding the GPS function, is whether after a round it is possible to see where on the course the shots were played from? If not could this feature be added even by way of a connection with the related Garmin App? Better still would be the ability to specify which club is used when taking a a shot, however even just the basic ability to see your shots mapped would be great.

After I got home from my round today I was happy to see the Distance/Odometer software update from Garmin Software.

I just download the update and unzip ApproachG80_*.**Beta.zip as per the instructions provided herein, took less than 5 minutes to complete.

Had my G80 plugged into the USB on my P.C. & my Garmin Express was open/running.

Opened up my Quick Access Menu/Folders then dragged and placed the "gupdate.gcd file" into my GARMIN folder on the P.C.

Then disconnect the USB cable from the P.C. and the G80 took a second then a message popped up that I have a Software Update, then proceed through the update.

Now the G80 has a new item ..... "Distance" in miles on the bottom of the Score Card and in the Round Summary ... can hardly wait to test it out and see how it compares to my S5 watch odometer.

Tks for the support Luke R. & Team Garmin.

Cheers

David

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

> @pilot25 said:

> I picked one up today and really like it. However, if there is no way to update it without a MAC or Win computer with a USB port it has to go back. That fact is an amazing lack of vision by Garmin. I have no laptop with a USB port. USB ports are going away quickly as are laptops for the non-business user.

It's still unusual for a laptop not to have a USB port. Are you sure you don't have the newer and smaller USB C port somewhere on your laptop? If not what connectivity ports do you have? You may be able to get an adapter. I think you can also get USB to bluetooth adapters which might also be worth investigating.

> @Kennybg said:

> > @pilot25 said:

> > I picked one up today and really like it. However, if there is no way to update it without a MAC or Win computer with a USB port it has to go back. That fact is an amazing lack of vision by Garmin. I have no laptop with a USB port. USB ports are going away quickly as are laptops for the non-business user.

>

> It's still unusual for a laptop not to have a USB port. Are you sure you don't have the newer and smaller USB C port somewhere on your laptop? If not what connectivity ports do you have? You may be able to get an adapter. I think you can also get USB to bluetooth adapters which might also be worth investigating.

Chromebooks have USB-C. I will never go back to Windows hell or overpriced Macs. There is no need for a residential user to have an OS that isn't cloud storage based.

Generally adapters for USB-C are for data flow from USB-A to USB-C not the other way around. Shockingly Garmin is still using USB-A to USB-Micro. USB-A is going away quickly. USB Micro doesn't exist anymore in any Android phone. It is completely dead and Apple has never used it as they have their own proprietary overpriced lightning cables.

I expect to have a $500 device for many years. USB-A isn't even included in the best laptops. i.e. Macbook Pro and Dell XPS-13.

It boggles the mind Garmin would use dated port technology.

> @pilot25 said:

> > @Kennybg said:

> > > @pilot25 said:

> > > I picked one up today and really like it. However, if there is no way to update it without a MAC or Win computer with a USB port it has to go back. That fact is an amazing lack of vision by Garmin. I have no laptop with a USB port. USB ports are going away quickly as are laptops for the non-business user.

> >

> > It's still unusual for a laptop not to have a USB port. Are you sure you don't have the newer and smaller USB C port somewhere on your laptop? If not what connectivity ports do you have? You may be able to get an adapter. I think you can also get USB to bluetooth adapters which might also be worth investigating.

>

> Chromebooks have USB-C. I will never go back to Windows **** or overpriced Macs. There is no need for a residential user to have an OS that isn't cloud storage based.

>

> Generally adapters for USB-C are for data flow from USB-A to USB-C not the other way around. Shockingly Garmin is still using USB-A to USB-Micro. USB-A is going away quickly. USB Micro doesn't exist anymore in any Android phone. It is completely dead and Apple has never used it as they have their own proprietary overpriced lightning cables.

>

> I expect to have a $500 device for many years. USB-A isn't even included in the best laptops. i.e. Macbook Pro and Dell XPS-13.

>

> It boggles the mind Garmin would use dated port technology.

>

>

I think you need to invest $500 into a laptop more then a G80.

Should the G80 have wifi/BT for OTA updates? yes definitely. My fenix just updates its self randomly. But this is not an always on device so I can see why it was omitted.

Your cloud based storage only comment is what really gets me. If you do not want control of your data thats your choice. If you don't want control of when its available to you thats your choice. If you trust someone else with the privacy of your data again your choice. I think the mass majority would very much disagree with you completely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

> @pilot25 said:

> I picked one up today and really like it. However, if there is no way to update it without a MAC or Win computer with a USB port it has to go back. That fact is an amazing lack of vision by Garmin. I have no laptop with a USB port. USB ports are going away quickly as are laptops for the non-business user.

It says right on the box that it requires a PC or Apple computer for updates.

> @pilot25 said:

> The box? https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/597253#overview

>

> Where is the "box" information on this order page?

>

> How about Amazon's order page?

>

> Box....

ok, i'll give you that. but i think you're just being difficult when you say that you refuse to use a windows or apple computer because it's not cloud based. both platforms offer cloud storage apps such as dropbox, google drive, iCloud drive, etc.

> @pilot25 said:

> > @Kennybg said:

> > > @pilot25 said:

> > > I picked one up today and really like it. However, if there is no way to update it without a MAC or Win computer with a USB port it has to go back. That fact is an amazing lack of vision by Garmin. I have no laptop with a USB port. USB ports are going away quickly as are laptops for the non-business user.

> >

> > It's still unusual for a laptop not to have a USB port. Are you sure you don't have the newer and smaller USB C port somewhere on your laptop? If not what connectivity ports do you have? You may be able to get an adapter. I think you can also get USB to bluetooth adapters which might also be worth investigating.

>

> Chromebooks have USB-C. I will never go back to Windows **** or overpriced Macs. There is no need for a residential user to have an OS that isn't cloud storage based.

>

> Generally adapters for USB-C are for data flow from USB-A to USB-C not the other way around. Shockingly Garmin is still using USB-A to USB-Micro. USB-A is going away quickly. USB Micro doesn't exist anymore in any Android phone. It is completely dead and Apple has never used it as they have their own proprietary overpriced lightning cables.

>

> I expect to have a $500 device for many years. USB-A isn't even included in the best laptops. i.e. Macbook Pro and Dell XPS-13.

>

> It boggles the mind Garmin would use dated port technology.

>

>

all odd.

> @sma said:

> > @pilot25 said:

> > The box? https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/597253#overview

> >

> > Where is the "box" information on this order page?

> >

> > How about Amazon's order page?

> >

> > Box....

> ok, i'll give you that. but i think you're just being difficult when you say that you refuse to use a windows or apple computer because it's not cloud based. both platforms offer cloud storage apps such as dropbox, google drive, iCloud drive, etc.

No not being difficult. If you follow tech trends or just basically understand how smartphone technology has progressed then you know USB is quickly reaching end of life in its cycle.

Should I have to go backward in tech and buy a localized OS in order to use a Garmin product? I guess the answer is yes.

> @pilot25 said:

> > @sma said:

> > > @pilot25 said:

> > > The box? https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/597253#overview

> > >

> > > Where is the "box" information on this order page?

> > >

> > > How about Amazon's order page?

> > >

> > > Box....

> > ok, i'll give you that. but i think you're just being difficult when you say that you refuse to use a windows or apple computer because it's not cloud based. both platforms offer cloud storage apps such as dropbox, google drive, iCloud drive, etc.

>

> No not being difficult. If you follow tech trends or just basically understand how smartphone technology has progressed then you know USB is quickly reaching end of life in its cycle.

>

> Should I have to go backward in tech and buy a localized OS in order to use a Garmin product? I guess the answer is yes.

If you paid attention to the US Open commercials and aren't the least bit knowledgeable you could still see the progression. Samsung commercials showing people charging their devices with other devices. That is now not in 5 years when the G80 will be incapable of being updated by most people.

I think you are thinking way to far in the future for any of us to relate with your g80 usb issue.

I only have 9 different pc/mac I could update my g80 with at home. I don't know a single person outside of the elderly who don't own a pc/mac. Or young children that were just given phones from their parents.

• Like 1

Interesting how some functions were dropped from the G8. The G8 can update via wi-fi. Maybe they’ll have to bring that back? I would contact Garmin, they have been very responsive in the past and seem to continue to do so.

I think someone from Garmin is following this thread, per the “distance” function comment above.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid 2 / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

June 18th – I’ve owned my G80 since mid-Feb and it’s been an amazing gadget, love the launch monitor & now I’m finding the GPS is better than I imagined & rarely use my Bushnell Pro 7 laser unless I need to confirm a distance. I live across the fence from my home course that’s my deck in the background. Went out to the practice green today, it’s approx. 120 yds front/back, my target was the center pin at 20-22 yds from the front. The G80 had no difficulty recording shots from 20-40-60 yds out, didn’t miss one recording and the unit didn’t overheat or shut off due to the bright sunny warm day. The recorded results were close to the actual, I had more run out due to the dry green conditions, the G80’s run out was set at about 20-25%. At the end of my practice session it was clear I was spending more time fooling around with the G80 then hitting accurate wedge shots, doubt I would be using it much for working on my wedges, however, this was an interesting experiment.

**Warning lots of pic's enjoy!**

Cheers

David

**20 Yds out – hit 60* wedge to center pin confirmed with my laser, hit 6 balls this was the result.**

t4dnnjd2a0vj.jpg

8oyjm7q797pu.jpg

2dsmq6ojs52d.jpg

n7c9jtpx6kp3.jpg

0zxjldse5zer.jpg

**40 Yds out – hit 56* - looked like this.**

v3ew1q3gc7p9.jpg

veumi4ondeym.jpg

to0czwsic9r5.jpg

se9btpafiih9.jpg

9pn8r7eei4xc.jpg

**60 Yds out – hit 56* ended up like this ...**

n81tc4h64ylf.jpg

h7zkqtctb3wy.jpg

hess27an871s.jpg

l80qg3q7b18k.jpg

7zhcmbtn1uiz.jpg

**Then I went back to 10 yds out with very little green to work with, hit 60* wedge and was not getting any recordings until I lied the club open and starting hitting flop shots, then it started to record. It appears you need at least 30 +/-mph club speed for the radar to work** …. **these were the results.**

06ic1d8e4xuz.jpg

1pxpa60x9qvr.jpg

vbfra1iilbkg.jpg

b36tcsedlzrg.jpg

47mqm9hoshmx.jpg

Ping DLX Cart Bag

> @Ryan5508 said:

> I think you are thinking way to far in the future for any of us to relate with your g80 usb issue.

>

> I only have 9 different pc/mac I could update my g80 with at home. I don't know a single person outside of the elderly who don't own a pc/mac. Or young children that were just given phones from their parents.

I dumped PCs and Macs years ago. We are all chromebooks using Linux. I'm not in business and don't work at a desk so why would I need a dumpy Windows computer or overpriced Macbook? My kids school, as most schools, are all chromebooks and ipads. There is zero need for localized hard drive OS computers.

> @dbdors said:

> Interesting how some functions were dropped from the G8. The G8 can update via wi-fi. Maybe they’ll have to bring that back? I would contact Garmin, they have been very responsive in the past and seem to continue to do so.

> I think someone from Garmin is following this thread, per the “distance” function comment above.

I think its possible the "radar" function of the unit wouldn't allow WiFi antenna or the designers were space limited in the unit. Seeing the overheating issues of other users I'm also assuming this wouldn't jive with WiFi. Possible the WiFi frequency interfered with the "radar" capabilities. Those things I get but to use USB-A to USB-mini is a really off choice when USB-C is the current standard.

So USB thing aside. I really like the device. I had it out to the range yesterday for 2 hours and then played 18 with it. Then 2 hours at the range today. Radar mode is cool. I got accurate numbers further than 70 yards. I only used carry mode as trying to adjust it for roll was a bit cumbersome and understandably inaccurate. Wedge shots within 70 yards were 10 yards off. Not sure why as other users, on other forums, have had accurate results at all distances. The tempo numbers were a nice feature too as I use TourTempo all the time and had it running on the bluetooth. Numbers seemed to match.

Battery life was 85% after 2 hours on the range in radar mode and 73% after 18. So radar mode is much more taxing on the battery. I didn't use radar on the course. I tried the games, on the range a little, but didn't keep my interest as it has no idea if your accuracy is off or not. I just liked the speed numbers and distance. Smash was a nice touch so you don't have to do math in your head.

Overall, I like it but the USB is a major sticking point for me.

Pilot25 ... I don't understand why you would like the G80 if you can't update any of the preloaded or add new courses or software or for that matter charge up the battery because you don't have a USB .... so why keep it ?

Ping DLX Cart Bag

> @Zip-in-Z said:

> Pilot25 ... I don't understand why you would like the G80 if you can't update any of the preloaded or add new courses or software or for that matter charge up the battery because you don't have a USB .... so why keep it ? Perhaps the Skycaddie SX500 would be an option.

>

So I think I can update it once and that might be enough. Charging the battery doesn't need a PC or Mac. Courses don't change and I don't travel so I don't really need to update the courses. Device came with the latest firmware and the beta, mentioned above, doesn't interest me. As I said, the device is nice save the USB problem.

I did have issues with distance under 70 yards and it looks like you didn't. I'll have to figure out what is up with it or if it just needs recalibration.

> @pilot25 said:

> > @Zip-in-Z said:

> > Pilot25 ... I don't understand why you would like the G80 if you can't update any of the preloaded or add new courses or software or for that matter charge up the battery because you don't have a USB .... so why keep it ? Perhaps the Skycaddie SX500 would be an option.

> >

>

> So I think I can update it once and that might be enough. Charging the battery doesn't need a PC or Mac. Courses don't change and I don't travel so I don't really need to update the courses. Device came with the latest firmware and the beta, mentioned above, doesn't interest me. As I said, the device is nice save the USB problem.

>

> I did have issues with distance under 70 yards and it looks like you didn't. I'll have to figure out what is up with it or if it just needs recalibration.

OK ... that makes sense now. From my testing this afternoon, you need a minimum club speed of 30 mph for my unit to register, when I was hitting a soft wedge it came up blank about 5-6 shots in a row, once I hit a Phil M. flop shot no issues.

Hope you enjoy the new gadget as much as me, it's really has helped my game & I still need improvements with my tempo.

Cheers

D.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

Studied my pic's a bit closer for those Flop Shots from 10 Yds out, have another look at the ball speed, hit a 60* wedge & the unit's radar recorded "17, 18, 21 & 22" mph .... it must be accurate but it's a bit surprising, too.

Edit: As a comparison see pic of my Driver S/S 102 mph & 148 ball speed.

D.

0oskgc2grmud.jpg

g70lsginsvlm.jpg

288r9521xy1i.jpg

3s0z145jkm9w.jpg

ck3gi4gxucp0.jpg

Ping DLX Cart Bag

2.61 Change Log Notes:

Enabled support for smart notifications from Android mobile devices.

Added display of round distance traveled to Scorecard and Round Summary pages.

**Added support for displaying swing speed and tempo swing metrics for practice swings in Tempo Training and Warmup radar modes.**

Updated last night. On mine the club head speed is very off for practice swings. I have not hit a ball since updating so that may be off as well. The driver swing speed was coming in around 20mph slower then my normal speed. Irons were off as well.

Im glad it at least reads them now as long as the g80 still works properly with a ball in place.

I went ahead and bought the G80. So far I'm very pleased with it (although see below at the end).

At the range today the distances seemed accurate (provided the shots were struck reasonably well) and using the virtual round and target practice modes was good fun and beats just firing balls down the range. It also highlighted that I need to work on my tempo which was useful. Actually, I need to work on my tempo, distance, smash factor and general swing and quality of strike but one thing at a time! When using the virtual round mode however, my ball striking was much better as it forces you to be more methodical and considered rather than just bashing the ball with the same club 20 times with increasing frustration.

I also used it yesterday on the course as a GPS. The size and weight is ideal and whilst I also took my GPS watch out as a comparison, it was no trouble to carry the G80 in my front pocket. In fact I found it a good complement to my watch by using the features my watch app doesn't have and vice versa. Having the 'plays like' distance for example was useful as my home course is hilly. The 'measure shot' function was also helpful. Less impressive were the course graphics which are a bit basic and schematic and missed some features such as a large tree on the first hole fairway. It was also nothing like the ease of use of a smart phone where you can pinch and zoom. There is a hole overview then two zoom settings but I would have preferred to be able to zoom in further. It was still better than my watch app however which has no course view, only distances.

One other issue was my course has white, yellow and red tees, whereas the device only offered men's or ladies tees and the men's tees showed the white rather than the yellow tees. It was no problem in practice however as it shows the distance from where you stand. It would also have been good to be able to mark where shots were taken so it can be viewed afterwards on the Garmin Golf App to see where on the course the shots were played from (as per my post above). I couldn't however see any way to do this. It's no big deal though as I have an app on my watch which does this in a way that is probably more convenient anyway.

I do have one serious concern however, which was at the range today, it randomly switched itself off about 10 times over a period of around two hours. I can obviously exchange it for another unit which I might do anyway, however, I have loaded the beta firmware referred to above in this thread, so I wondered whether that may be the cause. It wasn't the heat either, as being in the UK it's not exactly hot at the moment! Has anyone else experienced this issue? I tried to find the previous firmware, but I couldn't find the standalone file and instead the website suggested it was loaded via Garmin Connect. Garmin Connect however states my device is up to date so won't backward load the old firmware. I don't know whether resetting to the factory default will erase the beta firmware but I'd rather not try this if I don't have to, having spent the time setting it up. Does anyone know if this is the case?

If I can fix the switching off issue (or just exchange it for another unit), then overall I'm very pleased with the G80 and glad I bought it.