Yale Golf Club

sjpaster

Would love to hear everyone’s take on a top 5 in CT course, Yale.

My thoughts are the architecture is ridiculously awesome. I see aspects of the best in the area, from Bethpage, to Kittansett, to The Country Club; a layout I could never get tired of playing.

With that said, conditions are tough. The greens are slower than most public courses, and conditions force similar pin positions day in/day out. There are fairway drainage issues and construction that hopefully solved them. And then the huge, multi-tiered, three club deep greens are ripe with blind shots that without a pin sheet are impossible to conquer.

The course is fun but it could be something more, which just frustrates me. Would love to hear everyone’s take on the course and if they think it is a top 10 in state and why.

TaylorMade M3 8.5*, Grandura 510 X-Stiff
TEE CBX 119, ProjectX Evenflow blue X-Stiff
Titleist 913H 21*, Matrix Ozik White Tie X-Stiff
Srixon Z545 4-7 Z745 8-PW, KBS Tour 120 Stiff
Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
MannKrafted Straight 6 Demascus Blade - see avatar

I'll be the dissenting voice here.

It is held back in the rankings because of its "care and conditioning" - but that "care and conditioning" is much closer to the original design intent of the architect than you currently see at most Raynor / CBM courses. Yale (and even moreso Hotchkiss) are the closest that you can get to playing the golf that Seth Raynor imagined you would play on one of his courses.

Yale is one of my favorites. I agree with everything that's been said so far although when I played it in August of 2017, I didn't think the conditions were all that bad. That being said, a restoration/conditioning upgrade would definitely shine more light on how great of a course it is. It really does feel like something completely different than most courses we play.

I apologize for being slightly off topic, but I've been wanting to play Yale for awhile now. Does anyone know how guest access works? I have friends who are alums and could call and introduce me to play, but do they need to call each time I want to play or would I be added to a guest list and could then schedule again in the future? I don't want to bug someone each time...

I apologize for being slightly off topic, but I've been wanting to play Yale for awhile now. Does anyone know how guest access works? I have friends who are alums and could call and introduce me to play, but do they need to call each time I want to play or would I be added to a guest list and could then schedule again in the future? I don't want to bug someone each time...

Pay the unaccompanied guest rate or go with someone who is affiliated with Yale. Pretty much your two options

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

Pay the unaccompanied guest rate or go with someone who is affiliated with Yale. Pretty much your two options

I think the question - which I don’t know the answer to - is whether you have to be introduced by a Yale affiliated individual EACH time you want to play, or if a single introduction is sufficient for many rounds of play (at the unaccompanied rate).

I think the question - which I don't know the answer to - is whether you have to be introduced by a Yale affiliated individual EACH time you want to play, or if a single introduction is sufficient for many rounds of play (at the unaccompanied rate).

How many times are you thinking about playing? And are you bringing people with you? They offer a 15 round package, where you don't need to be affiliated with Yale. You can use those rounds on guests. If you want to play as a foursome 4x, just sign up for that and have the 16th round pay as an unaccompanied guest of yours.

• Like 1

TaylorMade M3 8.5*, Grandura 510 X-Stiff
TEE CBX 119, ProjectX Evenflow blue X-Stiff
Titleist 913H 21*, Matrix Ozik White Tie X-Stiff
Srixon Z545 4-7 Z745 8-PW, KBS Tour 120 Stiff
Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
MannKrafted Straight 6 Demascus Blade - see avatar

I think the question - which I don't know the answer to - is whether you have to be introduced by a Yale affiliated individual EACH time you want to play, or if a single introduction is sufficient for many rounds of play (at the unaccompanied rate).

Thanks. This is what I'm asking. I'd probably play 5 times a year; don't think I can get up there often enough to make the 15 pack worthwhile.

They have been recapturing green surfaces for a few years ... one at a time. Biggest issue was left front corner of square green on the short #5 ... built it back up.

They were hoping the Woodbridge CC "sister course" deal would go thru which included full restoration based on the 1930 (or so) aerial photos they are going off of with there one at a time re-do currently.

Fairway drainage work was completed last season.

A long time benefactor of the course passed away this summer and left a generous amount of money to the course .... no idea where it'll be directed.

Greens were slow in 2018 .... but the weather stunk for all of CT .... 2017 they were as good as they've ever been ... hoping for a return to that.

• 1 month later...

Yale is f#*king awesome and anyone who says otherwise is a horse’s a**. It is classic CB MacDonald/Raynor on a huge scale. It’s a liberal university course therefore they are not going to spend a fortune on making it like Augusta National. They also don’t charge $400 a round, so get over yourself and stop complaining about slow greens and wet conditions.

• Like 2

[size=3]Titleist 913 D3 9.5 Diamana S+ 62 stiff[/size]
Titleist 915 F 3 wood, Diamana S+60 stiff
[size=3]Mizuno F-60 5 wood[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-33 w/S300 stiff +1/2 by me[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno T7, 52 and 58 degrees[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade Juno TP  putter[/size]
[size=3]Titleist Pro V1 and V1x depending on what I find.[/size]

Yale is f#*king awesome and anyone who says otherwise is a horse’s a**. It is classic CB MacDonald/Raynor on a huge scale. It’s a liberal university course therefore they are not going to spend a fortune on making it like Augusta National. They also don’t charge $400 a round, so get over yourself and stop complaining about slow greens and wet conditions.

lol, tell us how you really feel

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

• 1 month later...

Yale is easily the best course in CT. As stated, with a restoration properly done according to aerial and construction photos it would be top 20 in the US and top 50 in the world. There are more thrilling shots and putts at Yale than about any course I can recall. After my first round I remembered every hole and every shot. How many places can you say that?

> @GC7 said:

> Yale is easily the best course in CT. As stated, with a restoration properly done according to aerial and construction photos it would be top 20 in the US and top 50 in the world. There are more thrilling shots and putts at Yale than about any course I can recall. After my first round I remembered every hole and every shot. How many places can you say that?

I love Yale. A lot. But there's no course in the Top 20 that I think it holds up against, save possibly Muirfield Village.

Top 50? Maybe.

> @raynorfan1 said:

> I love Yale. A lot. But there's no course in the Top 20 that I think it holds up against, save possibly Muirfield Village.

> Top 50? Maybe.

Have you seen the old construction photos? I have photos from just after opening of several holes including 9 and 18 as well as recollections of now 90 year old men who played it and described the greens before being butchered by a superintendent in the 50's. The thing that places it above several top 20 (which list?) is that Yale is a totally unique place unlike any other inland course. I think restored its better than Chicago Golf, ShoreAcres and perhaps even Fischers Island. It's fine to disagree with me. They are just opinions.

PS- Muirfield Village is a joke compared with the classics being considered.

• 2 weeks later...

you can play unaccompanied as many times as you want; I've been doing it for a number years now. My wife's family was in New Haven so I do get out to yale at least once a year. The bones are all there. It's a living museum.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

• 5 months later...

Has anyone been out to Yale recently? Was wondering what kind of shape it's in and thinking of calling to get out there. I feel like in the fall might be a great time to play and increase the likelihood of it being a bit firmer and maybe a little faster.

Cobra F9 w/ GD BB
Ping G410 w/ GD BB
Srixon U65 18* w/ GD DI or
Ping G410 19* w/ GD DI 
Srixon Z745 / Z965 Combo
RTX 4 - 50,54
Pine Glide 3.0 Eye 2
Laguna 2.5 (for now)

> @stevopagolf said:

> I really love the layout. The conditions last time I played were OK. Yale has plenty of money should they choose to spend it. It would be a very special place.

It is a very special place. IMHO the conditions are probably dramatically "better" than what Seth Raynor had in mind when he designed it. As an architectural masterpiece, I think I would prefer it if they let the conditions get a little bit worse vs. spent the money to improve them.

• 4 weeks later...

> @raynorfan1 said:

> Why do they insist on pinning #9 on the front part of the green? Drives me bananas.

There is evidence that Raynor intended for the front portion to be green and is maintained as such, however where they pin the green is up to the club. While not traditional in a Biarritz to even have putting surface on the front portion, I enjoy the variety myself. Not often but maybe once a week or so can do no harm, although not a traditional pin for a Biarritz green.

> @"Schley " said:

> > @raynorfan1 said:

> > Why do they insist on pinning #9 on the front part of the green? Drives me bananas.

>

> There is evidence that Raynor intended for the front portion to be green and is maintained as such, however where they pin the green is up to the club. While not traditional in a Biarritz to even have putting surface on the front portion, I enjoy the variety myself. Not often but maybe once a week or so can do no harm, although not a traditional pin for a Biarritz green.

They actually have two cups cut everyday .... one front one back. You just tell group in front of you to replace pin to back location if you want. It's a great time to ask what course record is as well :smile:

For those who don't know ... the halfway house is on 9 tee so you almost always have opportunity to talk to group ahead.

> @golow said:

> > @"Schley " said:

> > > @raynorfan1 said:

> > > Why do they insist on pinning #9 on the front part of the green? Drives me bananas.

> >

> > There is evidence that Raynor intended for the front portion to be green and is maintained as such, however where they pin the green is up to the club. While not traditional in a Biarritz to even have putting surface on the front portion, I enjoy the variety myself. Not often but maybe once a week or so can do no harm, although not a traditional pin for a Biarritz green.

>

> They actually have two cups cut everyday .... one front one back. You just tell group in front of you to replace pin to back location if you want. It's a great time to ask what course record is as well :smile:

>

> For those who don't know ... the halfway house is on 9 tee so you almost always have opportunity to talk to group ahead.

That’s great - when did they start doing that?

I’ve played the course probably 100 times over the past 20 years (but admittedly not much in the past 2 or 3) and seen the pin in the back probably ten times.

> @"Schley " said:

> > @raynorfan1 said:

> > Why do they insist on pinning #9 on the front part of the green? Drives me bananas.

>

> There is evidence that Raynor intended for the front portion to be green and is maintained as such, however where they pin the green is up to the club. While not traditional in a Biarritz to even have putting surface on the front portion, I enjoy the variety myself. Not often but maybe once a week or so can do no harm, although not a traditional pin for a Biarritz green.

I agree with the consensus that Raynor intended the front section to be green; I also agree that it’s up to the club to decide where to pin the green. But IMHO the front pin should be used sparingly to change up the hole, not the other way around (where the back position is pretty rare).

It would not surprise me at all if many players complained more about the back pin, which makes it a very long par 3; but the hole isn’t meant to be easy.