2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ever happen to you? Alone on the range and then -- INTRUSION.

You know what's worse?

When the guy who moves in directly upwind has a big cigar and you just think to yourself, 'bro..c'mon!?'

I've felt guilty after murders before, but almost never with those types.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Several times a week I will hit balls on the range at a nearby muni golf course. The range has two decks, it's covered and has heaters and good mats. Typical, right? I always go to the lower level where there are some 25 well-defined stalls separted by short dividers. I'm always there early, before day breaks here in the winter around 7:30 a.m. so again today I was the only golfer there for quite a while.

Perhaps half an hour later, another golfer walks in, gets his balls and -- get this -- picks the stall directly behind me. Now, I don't claim to own the range and I can practice in a crowd just as well as the next guy but it struck me as more than odd that with 24 other stalls to choose from, he camps out immediately to my back. Oh yeah... while I'm not putting on a Ben Hogan-like ballstriking clinic, I can more than get it airborne -- unlike the chop behind me who proceeds to clank, shank, fizzle and fozzle balls until I can't stand it any more.

I pick up my clubs, jacket, umbrella, radar, balls and clubs in order to move some four stalls away. I finish my bucket in relative peace. Please... I'm no 'golfing eliteist' who can't stand to be around lesser players; I pick up games with all levels all the time. But doesn't it strike you as just a little strange that the latecomer would set up shop in the stall right behind me when he had the entire range to chose from?

Or is it only me?

I agree with you completely. Doesn't make sense, like the guy who parks his car next to your new car, in an empty lot.

I avoid confrontation, you did right by just moving.

This behavior reminds me of the mutant creatures in the movie I Am Legend. They like to huddle together en masse. Same phenomenon when you’re driving on a freeway. People like to drive in a group all clustered together. Humans by nature are a social animal.

Not saying I like it, but I understand the phenomenon. As I posted earlier I’m lucky enough to be able to get away from the unwashed masses when I practice. If I’m not careful I could very easily become a hermit.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Ben, You are correct. That guy was a rude idiot, especially knowing he hits some off the walls.

Beginner or pro, there is no good reason to go next to someone, when there is lots of room elsewhere.

There is a somewhat recent Range Etiquette topic, with more situations like this.

I think this is the wrong mentality, grumpy old men. He picked a stall next to you, who cares? Maybe did it because he wanted to be next to a fellow golfer to maybe make conversation or it's his favorite stall to hit targets. Maybe wanted to be next to more than one heater to be warmer. I understand the urinal or gym locker though, thats a bit different.

This behavior reminds me of the mutant creatures in the movie I Am Legend. They like to huddle together en masse. Same phenomenon when you’re driving on a freeway. People like to drive in a group all clustered together. Humans by nature are a social animal.

Not saying I like it, but I understand the phenomenon. As I posted earlier I’m lucky enough to be able to get away from the unwashed masses when I practice. If I’m not careful I could very easily become a hermit.

I knew I was less than human,?I am completely antisocial.

I always go as far left as I can on the range. But if the range is mostly empty and someone is in the 2nd, 3rd, or even the 4th bay, I’ll move more towards the right side.

You just have to take it as an opportunity to practice playing with people who irritate you. I once spent an hour hitting balls with a couple of small kids screaming about the place just to learn how to focus better.

Or you can move

Or ask them to move

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

His picking that particular stall could be any number of things:

1. Maybe he was aiming for a particular flag on the range and that stall was pointing directly at it.

2. Did you pick the middle stall? Maybe he likes hitting from a middle stall too.

3. Maybe that was his favorite stall.

4. Maybe he was picking a stall where his back was to all of the other potential golfers.

5. Maybe he really didn't care what you were doing and probably thought that you didn't care what he was doing.

6. Some people like to be in groups. Some like to be alone. In your case, perhaps, one was one, and the other was the other.

BTW, since you asked, your picking up your stuff and abruptly moving to another stall was probably not the best decision of the day.

Similar to the guy who takes the urinal stall right next to you when all others are open, or the person that parks next to you in the parking lot when you aren't within 8 other cars. It's always been a strange type of behavior I don't understand but have always been curious about. I'm sure some doctor somewhere has a name for this condition. Haha

It’s an attempt at territory marking.

Pee on the guys leg next time and he will get the memo.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

His picking that particular stall could be any number of things:

1. Maybe he was aiming for a particular flag on the range and that stall was pointing directly at it.

2. Did you pick the middle stall? Maybe he likes hitting from a middle stall too.

3. Maybe that was his favorite stall.

4. Maybe he was picking a stall where his back was to all of the other potential golfers.

5. Maybe he really didn't care what you were doing and probably thought that you didn't care what he was doing.

6. Some people like to be in groups. Some like to be alone. In your case, perhaps, one was one, and the other was the other.

BTW, since you asked, your picking up your stuff and abruptly moving to another stall was probably not the best decision of the day.

So. Tell us why you do it ? Lol. Come on. You can’t possibly defend the “ I gotta be close to you guy who parks on top of you when you’re in the end of a parking lot by yourself , or let’s pee together guy in an empty bathroom , or let’s try to hit each other with driver on an empty range. ? CAn you? I mean that guy is literally the worst .

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Hope you don't play tournament golf....

If that gets under your skin....how do you deal with other kinds of pressure?

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

personally it drives me... more stupid im faced with the more stupid i want to squash.

thats not pressure anyway .. Its just the curiosity of why some people are so oblivious ? Or as i suspect they arent.. Its actually a tactic they use in life.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

In addition to bathrooms and driving ranges, people do this in movie theaters, too. I get there nice and early, usually like to sit high, near an aisle -- not a popular location, typically. And, people will come in and take the seats right in front of me, behind. It's not a big deal, but if I can spread out and not listen to someone else breathing, I prefer it.

We're not gazelle on the plains of the Serengeti.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

personally it drives me... more stupid im faced with the more stupid i want to squash.

thats not pressure anyway .. Its just the curiosity of why some people are so oblivious ? Or as i suspect they arent.. Its actually a tactic they use in life.

People are oblivious to a lot of things, especially the "unwritten rules" of golf....it doesn't mean they are stupid.

People are oblivious to a lot of things, especially the "unwritten rules" of golf....it doesn't mean they are stupid.

Daft , inconsiderate.... inserts whatever adjective you like.

They are something. And normal isn’t the correct term.

It’s not unwritten rules of golf either. It’s of human interaction. Same guy who does that will also try to talk to you nose to nose. He will come into your house and grind his muddy shoes into your couch ( or carpet ). Yes that’s a Rick James reference. Lol.

I once had a lady parked beside me hit my truck with her Shopping cart. Hard. I was sitting in the truck on the phone. She then parked the buggy against my tire and tried to drive off. Ill spare you the argument that comenced. People are incredibly unaware of their impact on others.

Like I said. Just a curiosity I have. When I walk to the range and see a couple guys on the right. I immediately think “ I’ll go to the far left “. Apparently others think “ hmmm. Maybe that guy would like me to get close to him , I’ll go right “. And I’m curious why that is ? .

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It’s not unwritten rules of golf either. It’s of human interaction. Same guy who does that will also try to talk to you nose to nose. He will come into your house and grind his muddy shoes into your couch ( or carpet ). Yes that’s a Rick James reference. Lol.

I once had a lady parked beside me hit my truck with her Shopping cart. Hard. I was sitting in the truck on the phone. She then parked the buggy against my tire and tried to drive off. Ill spare you the argument that comenced. People are incredibly unaware of their impact on others.

Like I said. Just a curiosity I have. When I walk to the range and see a couple guys on the right. I immediately think “ I’ll go to the far left “. Apparently others think “ hmmm. Maybe that guy would like me to get close to him , I’ll go right “. And I’m curious why that is ? .

Ever wonder if maybe you're the one with the issue??? LOL

Now I have to be careful who I drop my bag next to on the range??

Same stuff happens to me...and it's called human nature. I just don't let it get to me anymore. Well....that's not entirely true, when you're driving in the left lane of a 3 lane road with doing 10mph in a snowstorm with your 4-ways on not turning for 10 freakin miles.....now THAT's an entirely different story.

Ever wonder if maybe you're the one with the issue??? LOL

Now I have to be careful who I drop my bag next to on the range??

Same stuff happens to me...and it's called human nature. I just don't let it get to me anymore. Well....that's not entirely true, when you're driving in the left lane of a 3 lane road with doing 10mph in a snowstorm with your 4-ways on not turning for 10 freakin miles.....now THAT's an entirely different story.

Lol. Same guy does that too.

Sure. I’m antisocial, I know that. Admit it and don’t have any desire to change.

Go to Walmart. Walk around. It’s not me.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Probably not the case at the op's range , but in my area there is a range that has a ball machine and is open all winter......The owner put new mats on the first five bays and the rest are like cement......Never more than a few guys there this time of year, but we all use the same five spots.

I go to the same 3 bays no matter if there are people already hitting there. These areas are better covered from wind and there is a large window behind it with reflective tint. Can look back and see your backswing.

Yesterday at the range (80% packed, so different situation), the guy (not a bad ball striker) 3 behind me is blurting F bombs on bad shots.. Plus, he has earphones on so the volume of his voice is like my 96 year old grandma when she forgets to plug in her hearing aid.

ok ok, practice how you play, I get it.

But, does he have to practice his reaction for bad shots on the range around older people(senior aged) and kids taking lessons?

I've often suspected that many people are like cattle and naturally gravitate towards other people whether it be at the range, gym or stadium. I had a different animal attack me at the range before the snows came. He was like a wolf; he saw the irons in my bag, invited himself to try them and used a good ten balls from my bucket before I could get my back up to object. Not only did it ruin my range time, I drove home feeling like a wuss.

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

I've often suspected that many people are like cattle and naturally gravitate towards other people whether it be at the range, gym or stadium. I had a different animal attack me at the range before the snows came. He was like a wolf; he saw the irons in my bag, invited himself to try them and used a good ten balls from my bucket before I could get my back up to object. Not only did it ruin my range time, I drove home feeling like a wuss.

At least you didn't drive him home :)

I like your theory. Definitely pertains to highway driving. I've even heard of a defense for excessive speed as "avoiding a wolf pack" haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

We are certainly communal beasts, the size of the pack / herd might be the most interesting dynamic.

Most likely a coyote. Scavenger mascara-ding as a predator. The wolf is the guy you see on the opposite end of the range and you wonder “ how’d he get over there ? And why can’t I ? “.

Next time Just pull out his driver and hit one fat off the deck. Then ask him “ what’s this , L flex or A “?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I don't usually mind hitting balls next to other players.. What bugs me is when two guys in the vicinity talk incessantly about this or that swing flaw or other issues. My course has a small grass range that only fits about 8 players at a time. We need a "No Talking" sign!

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec