How To Guide - Custom Golf Shoes -AJ1 low “Master’s” Pg. 7

• 1 month later...

Hey @mission_scratch love your work. I know you've shown mostly golf shoes and painting over white but any suggestions on how to change up the royal blue and orange on these? I'm a UVA grad and want to make the orange a little darker and change the royal swoosh to more navy. 

image.png

Edit: Guessing I would be better off getting an all-white version and painting that way? 

Edited by jwc9p

7 hours ago, jwc9p said:

Hey @mission_scratch love your work. I know you've shown mostly golf shoes and painting over white but any suggestions on how to change up the royal blue and orange on these? I'm a UVA grad and want to make the orange a little darker and change the royal swoosh to more navy. 

image.png

Edit: Guessing I would be better off getting an all-white version and painting that way? 

Prep them really well and then paint then with a few lights coats of light gray and then you can change to them to any color.  The orange might Take a few more costs than the blue but once it’s the light grey you’re a all set.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • mission_scratch changed the title to How To Guide - Custom Golf Shoes - “Joker” Edition . Pg. 5
  • 3 months later...

Impressive, you did a good job, thank you for sharing. The green Nike shoes in this thread are one of the most beautiful shoes I have ever seen in my life.  I had a similar model a while ago, and I loved them, they weren't that pretty though. Now I had some problems with my feet, and I have to look for the shoes which are the most comfortable. I found out that for some reason tennis shoes are really comfortable. It is like walking on memory foam pillows, the insoles are made of a similar material, I love it!

Edited by MikeStinson
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • mission_scratch changed the title to How To Guide - Custom Golf Shoes - “Galaxy” Edition TW ‘20. Pg. 5

@mission_scratchyou mentioned applying a clear coat after if you are painting plasticky parts of the shoe. What product do you use for that. Also I know you mix the paint with different products depending on what part you are painting. Is there a particular type of paint you use or does the website you get yours from just offer one type of paint and then you add stuff to it depending on what your painting?

40 minutes ago, Sooner_Heath said:

@mission_scratchyou mentioned applying a clear coat after if you are painting plasticky parts of the shoe. What product do you use for that. Also I know you mix the paint with different products depending on what part you are painting. Is there a particular type of paint you use or does the website you get yours from just offer one type of paint and then you add stuff to it depending on what your painting?

If it’s a plastic part that flexes you’ll want to avoid painting that area.  Because after while it will crack, no matter how well you prep it unfortunately.  (I’m still looking for a way to work around this and testing new processes that will last. )

If painting on a plastic / hard Rubber area that does not bend or flex,  you would mix “2-Hard” to your paint at a 1 to 1 ratio.  So if using 1 oz of paint add 1 oz of 2-Hard. ( this is so much easier to paint if using an airbrush).

Prior to laying down the paint -  scuff up the area with a 320-400 grit sandpaper then use a 1400-2000 grit to smooth out some of the scuffs and also so it won’t be noticeable after painting.  Then acetone to clean up the area then 1-2 light coats of adhesion promoter. 

25 minutes ago, mission_scratch said:

Thanks man! Appreciate it!  How are yours holding up?? 

All Good!  I’m tempted to send you my ZIT Grey Fog/ Blue ones 

• Like 1

Stealth 2 9* w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM 3 wood w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X 

On 2/19/2021 at 10:41 AM, Sooner_Heath said:

Angelus is great. They have everything on their website. Not sure if that's what mission_scratch uses, but it's widely used for custom shoes.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:29 AM, mission_scratch said:

If it’s a plastic part that flexes you’ll want to avoid painting that area.  Because after while it will crack, no matter how well you prep it unfortunately.  (I’m still looking for a way to work around this and testing new processes that will last. )

If painting on a plastic / hard Rubber area that does not bend or flex,  you would mix “2-Hard” to your paint at a 1 to 1 ratio.  So if using 1 oz of paint add 1 oz of 2-Hard. ( this is so much easier to paint if using an airbrush).

Prior to laying down the paint -  scuff up the area with a 320-400 grit sandpaper then use a 1400-2000 grit to smooth out some of the scuffs and also so it won’t be noticeable after painting.  Then acetone to clean up the area then 1-2 light coats of adhesion promoter. 

He's not joking. He warned me that the TP's would probably crack. I prepped as best as I could, but they cracked halfway through the round. I go back and touch them up occasionally, but they always eventually crack. It's not a huge deal, the shoes still look amazing, but it's something to keep in mind.

Adding 2-hard with a paintbrush is a giant pain-in-the-rear. At least for me. I almost bought a hobby airbrush kit specifically so I wouldn't have to deal with it. LOL

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

1 hour ago, blink3665 said:

Angelus is great. They have everything on their website. Not sure if that's what mission_scratch uses, but it's widely used for custom shoes.

He's not joking. He warned me that the TP's would probably crack. I prepped as best as I could, but they cracked halfway through the round. I go back and touch them up occasionally, but they always eventually crack. It's not a huge deal, the shoes still look amazing, but it's something to keep in mind.

Adding 2-hard with a paintbrush is a giant pain-in-the-rear. At least for me. I almost bought a hobby airbrush kit specifically so I wouldn't have to deal with it. LOL

Getting an airbrush was a game changer for me! 
this is a solid one and with an air pump from Harbor Freights is the inexpensive way to go! 

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Airbrushes/Iwata-NEO-CN-Gravity-Feed-Dual-Action-Airbrush/p/868

• Like 1

• mission_scratch changed the title to How To Guide - Custom Golf Shoes - “The Master’s” Edition TW ‘20. Pg. 5
  • 2 months later...
  • mission_scratch changed the title to How To Guide - Custom Golf Shoes -AJ1 low “Master’s” Pg. 7