Nick Faldo

ksuWildcat

I'm completely fine with Nick in the booth. Gary McCord on the other hand, needs to go. Just constant verbal diarrhea.

I'm completely fine with Nick in the booth. Gary McCord on the other hand, needs to go. Just constant verbal diarrhea.

Agree 100%. McCord reminds of a neighbor I had one time when I lived in Richmond. Luckily he was across the street from me. The people on either side had it really rough. Annoying doesn't begin to cover it. Him moving away represented the 8th best day of my life at the time. A group of surrounding neighbors had a cookout the night after he left. We celebrated his departure. We were so happy.

haha, what was the 7th?

My friend was cured of prostate cancer.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree 100%. McCord reminds of a neighbor I had one time when I lived in Richmond. Luckily he was across the street from me. The people on either side had it really rough. Annoying doesn't begin to cover it. Him moving away represented the 8th best day of my life at the time. A group of surrounding neighbors had a cookout the night after he left. We celebrated his departure. We were so happy.

haha, what was the 7th?

My friend was cured of prostate cancer.

that seems like a large gap between 8 and 7. But that is a happy day.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Love Miller. I am biased though. He was my idol growing up and I love people that deliver the goods via straight talk (ie the opposite of Nantz)

Faldo also OK as another poster said he'd rather listen to a former multiple major champion

THE BEST is Peter Allis. The right tone at the right time with a wicked sense of humor

One recent Open he commented on all the players in white pants and quipped something like "such bravery these young men of today"

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I saw this thread and remembered I found this ball in my bucket on my clubs private driving range.

Faldo played at my club I'm the 1980s in this competiton https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hennessy_Cognac_Cup and I to this day wonder if it was his!

Youtube golf instruction video
only shows a ball distance or direction
of about 3 inches

Yeah I saw in another thread something about 'Pizza Boy' comment but have no idea what the context/meaning was?

Faldo was commenting on Ricky Fowler's shirt. Untucked and beach look. He said something about Fowler looking like someone that would bring a pizza. Hilarious. Not sure how the other side will take it.

Fowler seems to have a pretty laid back approach to the world. I'm sure he would laugh if he heard the Faldo pizza comment, lol

He should be fined, and suspended until he can adhere to the dress code.

And if they don’t have one, it’s time.

Rickie is a cksss act; he, more so than most pros, “gets it”. And as information, he did go to the Tour, and asked (and received) for permission to wear the shirt.

PXG Proto +, 10.5 turned to 9; Ventus 
PXG Gen4 3 metal ; Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4  5 metal;  Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4 hybrid; 21 degrees
PXG Gen4 Ps; 5-Gap with Nippon 950gh S
PXG Sugar Daddy wedges; 54 and 58; Nippon 950gh S

PXG 38” counter balanced, PXG Mustang

Titleist Pro V1x

I saw this thread and remembered I found this ball in my bucket on my clubs private driving range.

Faldo played at my club I'm the 1980s in this competiton https://en.m.wikiped...essy_Cognac_Cup and I to this day wonder if it was his!

Wow, there's a ball brand I've never seen - Rextar?? Unique to UK? Is that a "small" ball?

Also, dude - what's with your hands??? :taunt:

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

some funny comments in this thread. :)

jim Nance is my favorite anncr. he lets the other anncrs try to act funny. and he lets romo run wild, and it turns out romo has more insight than other color anncrs combined. but back in the day the redskins annr team was incredible. sonny jurgenson and a coupla others really pulled you in. like harry carey in baseball.

when faldo first started he tried too hard to be funny, but he's toned that down and has become pretty good.

one thing i can't stand is a boring anncr, which you get on some fball baseball telecasts.

Faldo played at my club I'm the 1980s in this competiton https://en.m.wikiped...essy_Cognac_Cup and I to this day wonder if it was his!

Wow, there's a ball brand I've never seen - Rextar?? Unique to UK? Is that a "small" ball?

Also, dude - what's with your hands??? :taunt:

Rextar was original name for Bridgestone balatas

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

I like Faldo and so does Jim Nance. Quote from an interview of Nance in a 2016 Golf Digest.

During the AT&T in 2014, I put on a dinner in the basement of The Sardine Factory on Cannery Row in Monterey. Phil Mickelson was still traveling with the claret jug, and we filled it with a nice pinot noir from my line of wines, The Calling. When the Cup got to Nick Faldo, who has won three of those cups, he paused and said, "I've never done this before." He laughed, shrugged and took a couple of swigs like everyone else. He was giddy, the exact opposite of the Nick we knew in the early 1990s. His changeover from a complete golfer—an obsessed one—into a complete person, is the most incredible personal transformation I've ever witnessed.

A funny Faldo interview after he had won a tournament he said that he asked his wife (Sue) what “she would like as a gift since he won, a new car, jewelry, ” She said “a divorce”, to which Nick replied “I hadn’t planned on spending that much”

Overachieving Underachiever

Obviously there are going to be 100 different opinions on this....

But I personally feel the only analyst that was WORSE than Faldo had to be Lanny Watkins. Lanny was simply terrible in his run on CBS. He actually has improved quite a bit in his role on the Champions Tour. I have no clue why.

My main problem with Faldo is that he simply has nothing to say. He comes off as completely unprepared (even though I know that cannot be the case). Stammers constantly. Give us some insight man, give us something behind the scenes. Time after time he just has nothing to offer. He also is WAY too close to many of these guys....especially the Euros. He refuses to be critical of almost anyone except Sergio (which is hilarious).

Anyway my favorite analysts are Azinger and Strange. I also think Duval has some serious talent if he ever wants to pursue that role full time.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

Always enjoy listening to Faldo. I much prefer watching any CBS broadcast to NBC. Better cinematography, and much better commentators on CBS. Jim Nantz, Nick Faldo, Ian Baker Finch, Peter Kostis, and Gary McCord who always brings humor. Amanda Balionis isn't so bad to look at either. CBS pretty much has the dream team in my opinion.

This.

Also Dottie Pepper. I like Faldo , I like Nance, and I like them together. I miss Feherty on CBS. I also liked Miller, but as a whole, prefer CBS's coverage. I wish they had the US Open.

Also, Rickie doesn't really seem the maverick; I am sure his attire was approved, and it is more about the $ than Rickie making a statement.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

I am dumbfounded by this. He is the absolute worst announcer on TV. He has several thoughts going on at once, he never finishes his sentences, braggadocios, and IMO his analysis is terrible. At Torrey this week he was reading apex height on trackman as club speed, and was like, "oh my 109 mph club speed with 300 yard carry, that's incredible." He says stuff like that all the time. I would take Joe Buck over him. Honestly I think Ian-Baker and Paul Azinger are the best. Azinger tells it how it is.

Faldo talks just for the sake of talking. He just spits nonsense for hours and no one is better off for hearing it. My 2 cents.

Umm, thats kinda is the job description....

Spitting nonsense is the job description? He talks for hours about nothing. Faldo isn’t good, but he’s not unbearable like McCord. Listen to an hour of Johnny and then try and listen to an hour of Faldo. Johnny is sooo much better

Faldo is good at his job; I enjoy his commentary. He's insightful, credible, self-deprecating/can laugh at himself, has a dry wit, and does his homework. Hard to believe he's the same guy who walked the fairways as an overgrown Hogan-type assassin as a player.

That's the truth, one hell of a competitor when he was on tour.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Always enjoy listening to Faldo. I much prefer watching any CBS broadcast to NBC. Better cinematography, and much better commentators on CBS. Jim Nantz, Nick Faldo, Ian Baker Finch, Peter Kostis, and Gary McCord who always brings humor. Amanda Balionis isn't so bad to look at either. CBS pretty much has the dream team in my opinion.

This.

Also Dottie Pepper. I like Faldo , I like Nance, and I like them together. I miss Feherty on CBS. I also liked Miller, but as a whole, prefer CBS's coverage. I wish they had the US Open.

Also, Rickie doesn't really seem the maverick; I am sure his attire was approved, and it is more about the $ than Rickie making a statement.

That's gonna be a no for me, dawg.

The entire duo announcer color man scenario is old and dry. Give guys like Feherty and Hank Haney a shot at really ripping into the untouchable elite areas of the pro tour. We can see what is going on, we need engaging observations.... and NOT the endlessly repeated filler cliches. Give us brains and creativity !

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

Johnny Miller will be missed -to me there was nothing better than knowing Johnny was in the booth, when I sat down to watch. But there's a lot of difference between being 20 and 60. "Tiger" is their "Arnie" -some old Guy that still is a great golfer and fun to cheer for. It's different when it comes to the analyst. They need to be knowledgeable, humorous, and appeal to everyone. I doubt many young girls like "Judy Rankin" because she was a good golfer "a long time ago", but they love her as an analyst for the LPGA broadcasts.

Faldo is horrible: he mumbles in a UK accent which makes him difficult to understand. Also, he is very biased in favor of European players, second bias AGAINST any US player. I know he is a Euro, BUT he is paid US $ to announce on a US network so keep the overseas bias in the bag. Feherty is a Euro, speaks so you can understand him, amusing, and recognizes who butters his bread - no Euro bias comments.

I personally like Zinger, Peter Jacobson, Feherity, Bones and Kostis. I shy away from watching when Faldo is announcing.

Faldo and Monty in the booth would be choice.

Give em a pitcher of dry gin martinis and let them have at it...

Ohhhh noooo, he just got a bit, I mean if he just, you need to trap the ball into the turf.

Uh, yeah, sure, hold on, Nick, I have a call... What you mean, Bambi? No, no, the boot of the Ferrari is in the front. Ha, go on now, Nick, God I love America!

It's called respect for the game and those that came before him.

Faldo was a machine, hardly missed a shot. It didn't matter what the rankings said, everyone knew who was the best in the world.

those that came before him had plenty of flaws, regardless of the way they dressed ... it's a game, just like any other game, and the people that play it are not -

or at least, should not be - the standard of anything other than their score ...

You have your opinions, I have mine.

I beleive golf is bifferent than other sports, and it’s players should act accordingly.

Yeah I agree it’s a personal thing but don’t say he should be suspended and kicked off the course for it. A simple “it’s not my style” will convey that point brilliantly.

I stand beside that one. If he indeed cleared it with the tour, then they screwed up.

I generally like Fowler, and his “style” and don’t mind colorful at all. I could do withou the hat which no one, at least over 21 should wear anyway.

Yeah I saw in another thread something about 'Pizza Boy' comment but have no idea what the context/meaning was?

Faldo was commenting on Ricky Fowler's shirt. Untucked and beach look. He said something about Fowler looking like someone that would bring a pizza. Hilarious. Not sure how the other side will take it.

Fowler seems to have a pretty laid back approach to the world. I'm sure he would laugh if he heard the Faldo pizza comment, lol

He should be fined, and suspended until he can adhere to the dress code.

And if they don’t have one, it’s time.

Rickie is a cksss act; he, more so than most pros, “gets it”. And as information, he did go to the Tour, and asked (and received) for permission to wear the shirt.

I don’t disagree. And I said above, if he asked, then the Tour screwed up.