2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Is Justin Rose boring to watch?

20six

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He hits it pretty far (hit 181 ball speed), can fall apart (front 9) and still come back from it. Which is kinda exciting. yeah his demeanor is very steady, but isn't that how good golfers should be? Make an eagle, shrug it off.

He's just pretty polite and well kept. Tommy's at least got the hair!

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

The polar opposite is a player like Tyrrell Hatton, who also gets criticised but for showing too much emotion.

http://youtu.be/EsgnT3Sbi4U

You just can't win with the armchair golfer.

It's going to be interesting to see what Hatton is like this year now that you are able to tap down spike marks.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I am entertained.

Yes Rose's pre-shot routines and silky swings are probably not as entertaining as the wrestling octopus swing most of us deliver on the first tee, after a run from the car park. But that's why he's no1 and considerably wealthier. Well played sir!!

Callaway Epic Max LS 
TM M2 3 wood 
Mizuno MP 650 hybrids -  17 & 22 degree

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5 iron

Mizuno MP-5 6-PW KBS 120S
Vokey SM9 50

Vokey SM7 56, 60
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #9 

No doubt he's a tremendous talent but, as a spectator, I find his game boring to watch. Rory, JDay, DJ, Tiger and others play an exciting game. I don't get that with Rose. Is it just me?

He's no more boring than the rest.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

No doubt he's a tremendous talent but, as a spectator, I find his game boring to watch. Rory, JDay, DJ, Tiger and others play an exciting game. I don't get that with Rose. Is it just me?

The OP started this thread then immediately bailed out. I asked him to define exciting on page one, but he's gone.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

I'm a big Rose fan, but then I'm British and he's our best player right now. I understand why others might not be.

His personality is very typically British and he doesn't tend to express much of what he is feeling. He's the golfer that most British parents would bring their children up to be. If anything, the personalities of our other famous players (Poulter, Hatton, Beef) are the exceptions in the sense that they are all more emotional than the average Brit.

Admittedly, I'm measuring the players against a stereotype here, but I think it''s a largely historically accurate one (albeit less so as time goes by and standards fall).

The OP started this thread then immediately bailed out. I asked him to define exciting on page one, but he's gone.

Sorry to bruise your fragile psyche, but I feel no compelling need to answer your questions. I liked watching Seve; not Rose. I like watching Tiger; not Rose. I like watching Jerry Kelly; not Rose. It is opinion; I expect that you have some, but I won't demand an explanation of them. Have a nice day, friend.

I find this topic somewhat interesting. I can almost guarantee it, that if TW played the exact four rounds that Justin Rose did, shot for shot, that this whole forum would be up in flames from all the excitement. It would be called one of the best of the year so far. There would be prophecies of the second coming and bscinstnct would post 4 times as many "TIGERRRRRR!!!!!!" pictures. ( :) )

I also find it quite funny; someone didn't like Justin Rose's shirt?????? Really? LOL!!!! Hard to please, this WRX group.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

I didn't even know JR was the current #1 and that says everything.

I would've guessed he was somewhere just inside the top-10. I just don't think JR is really associated with dominance yet. He'll have a stretch where he's at the top because his form is incredible. But then he'll fall off (a la Rory) and without any dominant ability (like DJ or Rory have with their driving) it's easy to forget about him.

And that's the problem...how are you going to get excited about a guy you constantly forget about!?

That said, if he has 6-months at the top wherein he fights off TW, YJS, JT, Rory, DJ, Day, and others it will endear him to a lot of people and he'll be considered more as part of the elite. If he can back up his US Open at Merion with another major title this year, that'll be great for his image.

I find this topic somewhat interesting. I can almost guarantee it, that if TW played the exact four rounds that Justin Rose did, shot for shot, that this whole forum would be up in flames from all the excitement. It would be called one of the best of the year so far. There would be prophecies of the second coming and bscinstnct would post 4 times as many "TIGERRRRRR!!!!!!" pictures. ( :) )

I also find it quite funny; someone didn't like Justin Rose's shirt?????? Really? LOL!!!! Hard to please, this WRX group.

And if Justin Rose had 14 majors...oh, forget it.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I'm a big Rose fan, but then I'm British and he's our best player right now. I understand why others might not be.

His personality is very typically British and he doesn't tend to express much of what he is feeling. He's the golfer that most British parents would bring their children up to be. If anything, the personalities of our other famous players (Poulter, Hatton, Beef) are the exceptions in the sense that they are all more emotional than the average Brit.

Admittedly, I'm measuring the players against a stereotype here, but I think it''s a largely historically accurate one (albeit less so as time goes by and standards fall).

I don't believe the people who say they don't like his personality simply because personality doesn't drive viewership.

Woods and Hogan both had horrible personalities and yet they're worshiped. Why? Because they were consistently dominant and they got a lot of media attention relative to their peers. Mickelson has a great personality but he doesn't move the needle like Woods because Woods was usually the better player.

It's not complicated.

If Justin rose can keep himself on TV that'll help his cause a lot. The problem is though, he'll have down periods. And without the driving of DJ, Rory or J-Day (who are all marketed massively in driver advertisements) Rose will simply fade away for a stretch.

If you want to be liked, you cannot be seen as someone who gets hot only to routinely fade away. Viewers actually hate that kind of winner. They are perceived more as inconsistent and opportunistic. For instance, Y.E. Yang didn't win the PGA back in '09...he stole it from Woods. You don't want to win only to become that guy.

Rose is more than that guy but he's still not beloved.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I like Rose but I'm biased towards the Euro players. I could see how he is "boring" in the same way I find Koepka borning - is that when he is on he is automatic. I find Rose more personable in interviews and I'm more inclined to cheer for him. That said, yesterday I was hoping he would falter a little more to give Scott or Rory an opportunity....not that Rory would take advantage.

Titleist TS3 w/ Even Flow White
M1 w/ Diamana Thump
M4 Tour w/ Kuro Kage TiNi
GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
Vokey 46° 
Hi-Toe 52° & 58°
Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3

I don't think he's boring at all. I've liked him since he played so well as a teenager all those years ago at the British Open He's always polite, articulate, seems to adore his family, & I've never heard anything bad about him. He's the world's #1 & has earned it. Oh...& there's that Olympic gold medal thing he won in Rio too.....he handled that with class & style. I guess some think being a gentleman is boring. :taunt:

Sorry to bruise your fragile psyche, but I feel no compelling need to answer your questions. I liked watching Seve; not Rose. I like watching Tiger; not Rose. I like watching Jerry Kelly; not Rose. It is opinion; I expect that you have some, but I won't demand an explanation of them. Have a nice day, friend.

Lurking eh.......smart

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

Televised golf in general is boring to watch. And they way they have so much analyst discussion, interviews with sponsors and players (ie not actual golf) just makes it worse.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Well yeah, you're proving the whole point of this thread. It's not about the golf shots. It's that Rose lacks personality and charisma. Tiger would do it (the same shots) with so much more style and bravado. That's the point. It's not what Rose does, it's how he does it: Boringly.

It's not really fair to compare Rose to someone like Tiger. Rose just doesn't have that magnetic personality. But that doesn't make him a bad person or a bad golfer.

By the way, to be fair, lots of people criticized Tiger's Sunday shirt because it wasn't red enough for them.

I wish I could be that boring. Fairways, greens, putt. Rinse, repeat. I'd be on Tour. :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I understand exactly what you mean but I can’t really put a finger on it either. He’s incredibly “vanilla”. Dull. Just Not much charisma I guess.

Agreed, I mean I can appreciate his talent, he kind of reminds me a bit of Faldo in his prime. Accurate off the tee, decently long but not a bomber, precision irons, green after green. Good not great putter, solid short game, manages his way around the course, no real weakness. No dumb decisions. Yep boring, like a cyborg. I blame Sean Foley. :)

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly