Is Justin Rose boring to watch?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He hits it pretty far (hit 181 ball speed), can fall apart (front 9) and still come back from it. Which is kinda exciting. yeah his demeanor is very steady, but isn't that how good golfers should be? Make an eagle, shrug it off.

He's just pretty polite and well kept. Tommy's at least got the hair!

Callaway Epic SZ Driver 9
TM Aeroburner TP 3 wood
3H (19), 4H (22) Aeroburner TP
Mizuno MP-15 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
Scotty Phantom X6 STR

The polar opposite is a player like Tyrrell Hatton, who also gets criticised but for showing too much emotion.

http://youtu.be/EsgnT3Sbi4U

You just can't win with the armchair golfer.

It's going to be interesting to see what Hatton is like this year now that you are able to tap down spike marks.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

I am entertained.

Yes Rose's pre-shot routines and silky swings are probably not as entertaining as the wrestling octopus swing most of us deliver on the first tee, after a run from the car park. But that's why he's no1 and considerably wealthier. Well played sir!!

Titleist 917D2 Diamana Blue
TM M2 3 wood Accra M4
Mizuno MP650 19
MP25 4-PW KBS 120S
Vokey SM7 52, 56 , 58
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #9 Blade Putter

They used to say Ben Hogan was boring. If you show too much emotion you're a spoilt brat (if young) or too fiery, little emotion and too boring. If you're good looking and fiery though, like Seve was, you're charismatic, passionate and flamboyant.

CALLAWAY ROGUE SUB ZERO 9*
CALLAWAY X2 HOT 3 DEEP
ADAMS PRO HYBRID 
SRIXON Z565 4-P
CLEVELAND RTX4 RAW 48*, 54*

TAYLORMADE HI TOE 60*
ODYSSEY 2M CS

No doubt he's a tremendous talent but, as a spectator, I find his game boring to watch. Rory, JDay, DJ, Tiger and others play an exciting game. I don't get that with Rose. Is it just me?

He's no more boring than the rest.

My senior bag.......

Callaway Rogue 9.0* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4,5 hybrids reg
Cobra F9 SL  6-g irons
Ping Glide 52* & 58*
Ping CrazE putter
Datrex 15 way IDS cart bag - black

No doubt he's a tremendous talent but, as a spectator, I find his game boring to watch. Rory, JDay, DJ, Tiger and others play an exciting game. I don't get that with Rose. Is it just me?

The OP started this thread then immediately bailed out. I asked him to define exciting on page one, but he's gone.

Srixon Z785 9.5 Hzrdus stiff

Srixon Z H85 16* Hzrdus stiff

Ping Karsten 22* Hybrid

Srixon Z U85 4i Recoil stiff

Srixon Z785 5-PW Modus 3 120 stiff
Srixon Z765 51* Modus stiff
Srixon Z765 57* Modus stiff
Cleveland RTX 3 62* TTDG
Nike Method Midnight 006

I'm a big Rose fan, but then I'm British and he's our best player right now. I understand why others might not be.

His personality is very typically British and he doesn't tend to express much of what he is feeling. He's the golfer that most British parents would bring their children up to be. If anything, the personalities of our other famous players (Poulter, Hatton, Beef) are the exceptions in the sense that they are all more emotional than the average Brit.

Admittedly, I'm measuring the players against a stereotype here, but I think it''s a largely historically accurate one (albeit less so as time goes by and standards fall).

The OP started this thread then immediately bailed out. I asked him to define exciting on page one, but he's gone.

Sorry to bruise your fragile psyche, but I feel no compelling need to answer your questions. I liked watching Seve; not Rose. I like watching Tiger; not Rose. I like watching Jerry Kelly; not Rose. It is opinion; I expect that you have some, but I won't demand an explanation of them. Have a nice day, friend.

I find this topic somewhat interesting. I can almost guarantee it, that if TW played the exact four rounds that Justin Rose did, shot for shot, that this whole forum would be up in flames from all the excitement. It would be called one of the best of the year so far. There would be prophecies of the second coming and bscinstnct would post 4 times as many "TIGERRRRRR!!!!!!" pictures. ( :) )

I also find it quite funny; someone didn't like Justin Rose's shirt?????? Really? LOL!!!! Hard to please, this WRX group.

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero Driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
Srixon H85 17* hybrid
Srixon H85 20* hybrid
Srixon H85 22* hybrid
Srixon Z765 5-PW irons KBS Tour V shafts

Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Mizuno S18 58* wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter

I didn't even know JR was the current #1 and that says everything.

I would've guessed he was somewhere just inside the top-10. I just don't think JR is really associated with dominance yet. He'll have a stretch where he's at the top because his form is incredible. But then he'll fall off (a la Rory) and without any dominant ability (like DJ or Rory have with their driving) it's easy to forget about him.

And that's the problem...how are you going to get excited about a guy you constantly forget about!?

That said, if he has 6-months at the top wherein he fights off TW, YJS, JT, Rory, DJ, Day, and others it will endear him to a lot of people and he'll be considered more as part of the elite. If he can back up his US Open at Merion with another major title this year, that'll be great for his image.

I find this topic somewhat interesting. I can almost guarantee it, that if TW played the exact four rounds that Justin Rose did, shot for shot, that this whole forum would be up in flames from all the excitement. It would be called one of the best of the year so far. There would be prophecies of the second coming and bscinstnct would post 4 times as many "TIGERRRRRR!!!!!!" pictures. ( :) )

I also find it quite funny; someone didn't like Justin Rose's shirt?????? Really? LOL!!!! Hard to please, this WRX group.

And if Justin Rose had 14 majors...oh, forget it.

SIM (10.5o) (Tensei Pro Org.)
TS2 4w (17o)

M6 7w (21o)

z785 (4-Pw)
SM8 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
Newport 2 Select

I'm a big Rose fan, but then I'm British and he's our best player right now. I understand why others might not be.

His personality is very typically British and he doesn't tend to express much of what he is feeling. He's the golfer that most British parents would bring their children up to be. If anything, the personalities of our other famous players (Poulter, Hatton, Beef) are the exceptions in the sense that they are all more emotional than the average Brit.

Admittedly, I'm measuring the players against a stereotype here, but I think it''s a largely historically accurate one (albeit less so as time goes by and standards fall).

I don't believe the people who say they don't like his personality simply because personality doesn't drive viewership.

Woods and Hogan both had horrible personalities and yet they're worshiped. Why? Because they were consistently dominant and they got a lot of media attention relative to their peers. Mickelson has a great personality but he doesn't move the needle like Woods because Woods was usually the better player.

It's not complicated.

If Justin rose can keep himself on TV that'll help his cause a lot. The problem is though, he'll have down periods. And without the driving of DJ, Rory or J-Day (who are all marketed massively in driver advertisements) Rose will simply fade away for a stretch.

If you want to be liked, you cannot be seen as someone who gets hot only to routinely fade away. Viewers actually hate that kind of winner. They are perceived more as inconsistent and opportunistic. For instance, Y.E. Yang didn't win the PGA back in '09...he stole it from Woods. You don't want to win only to become that guy.

Rose is more than that guy but he's still not beloved.

SIM (10.5o) (Tensei Pro Org.)
TS2 4w (17o)

M6 7w (21o)

z785 (4-Pw)
SM8 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
Newport 2 Select

I like Rose but I'm biased towards the Euro players. I could see how he is "boring" in the same way I find Koepka borning - is that when he is on he is automatic. I find Rose more personable in interviews and I'm more inclined to cheer for him. That said, yesterday I was hoping he would falter a little more to give Scott or Rory an opportunity....not that Rory would take advantage.

Titleist TS3 w/ Even Flow White
M1 w/ Diamana Thump
M4 Tour w/ Kuro Kage TiNi
GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
Vokey 46° 
Hi-Toe 52° & 58°
Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3

I don't think he's boring at all. I've liked him since he played so well as a teenager all those years ago at the British Open He's always polite, articulate, seems to adore his family, & I've never heard anything bad about him. He's the world's #1 & has earned it. Oh...& there's that Olympic gold medal thing he won in Rio too.....he handled that with class & style. I guess some think being a gentleman is boring. :taunt:

Sorry to bruise your fragile psyche, but I feel no compelling need to answer your questions. I liked watching Seve; not Rose. I like watching Tiger; not Rose. I like watching Jerry Kelly; not Rose. It is opinion; I expect that you have some, but I won't demand an explanation of them. Have a nice day, friend.

Lurking eh.......smart

Srixon Z785 9.5 Hzrdus stiff

Srixon Z H85 16* Hzrdus stiff

Ping Karsten 22* Hybrid

Srixon Z U85 4i Recoil stiff

Srixon Z785 5-PW Modus 3 120 stiff
Srixon Z765 51* Modus stiff
Srixon Z765 57* Modus stiff
Cleveland RTX 3 62* TTDG
Nike Method Midnight 006

Televised golf in general is boring to watch. And they way they have so much analyst discussion, interviews with sponsors and players (ie not actual golf) just makes it worse.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex

Maltby KE4 Tour 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Well yeah, you're proving the whole point of this thread. It's not about the golf shots. It's that Rose lacks personality and charisma. Tiger would do it (the same shots) with so much more style and bravado. That's the point. It's not what Rose does, it's how he does it: Boringly.

It's not really fair to compare Rose to someone like Tiger. Rose just doesn't have that magnetic personality. But that doesn't make him a bad person or a bad golfer.

By the way, to be fair, lots of people criticized Tiger's Sunday shirt because it wasn't red enough for them.

I wish I could be that boring. Fairways, greens, putt. Rinse, repeat. I'd be on Tour. :)

G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
PING Bruzer
PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
(MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)

I understand exactly what you mean but I can’t really put a finger on it either. He’s incredibly “vanilla”. Dull. Just Not much charisma I guess.

Agreed, I mean I can appreciate his talent, he kind of reminds me a bit of Faldo in his prime. Accurate off the tee, decently long but not a bomber, precision irons, green after green. Good not great putter, solid short game, manages his way around the course, no real weakness. No dumb decisions. Yep boring, like a cyborg. I blame Sean Foley. :)

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3