Practicing Putting

sambodoors

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering what devices do y'all use to practice your putting indoors? I was thinking about maybe getting one of those putt boomerangs but wanted to see if anybody has any good/bad experiences with it or any other similar devices?

The best I've ever used was this.

It's cheap Chinese tat but it cured me of leaving putts short and helped me hit putts straighter. One of its best features is that unless you hit the ball really badly it will always roll back within reach. So you can just stand there for half an hour putting. Pretty much every other device penalises for you missing because the ball doesn't come back and having to chase after failed putts is very dispiriting.

This can actually be fun. When I have it laid out I keep four balls on it and when I walk past I often stop and refuse to leave until I've hit four balls in a row into the smaller hole :)

An added bonus of that particular model was the descriptions on the box. Most of which were (probably unintentionally) hilarious.

Metal yardstick with a hole in one end. Putt the ball the length without it falling off either side. Under 5 bucks at the local hardware store.

I'm wondering what devices do y'all use to practice your putting indoors? I was thinking about maybe getting one of those putt boomerangs but wanted to see if anybody has any good/bad experiences with it or any other similar devices?

The best I've ever used was this.

It's cheap Chinese tat but it cured me of leaving putts short and helped me hit putts straighter. One of its best features is that unless you hit the ball really badly it will always roll back within reach. So you can just stand there for half an hour putting. Pretty much every other device penalises for you missing because the ball doesn't come back and having to chase after failed putts is very dispiriting.

This can actually be fun. When I have it laid out I keep four balls on it and when I walk past I often stop and refuse to leave until I've hit four balls in a row into the smaller hole :)

An added bonus of that particular model was the descriptions on the box. Most of which were (probably unintentionally) hilarious.

Sweet, guys. Thanks for recommendations.

Yard stick, work on controlling length of stroke and start line

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

A couple rubber bands on the face either side of the sweet spot to ensure a center strike.

A gate of some sort for start line (metal yard stick or couple objects, balls etc)

A viso putting matt for stroke path and face relative to path

A puttout for target and ball return

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

One of my favorite all time putting training devices!

Here's a video I made about 5 years ago using the "boomerang" training device

And I'm still using it 5 yrs later - a testament to its effectiveness. And how much fun it is!

I've been considering one of these. The reviews are good:

That does look pretty good actually. It's a shame a mat like that couldn't be paired with a ball returning system like mine. But I do think using a mat has advantages. I'm now pretty sure that the reason I used to leave so many putts short was because I practised on my living room carpet. I used to use one of those electrical ball returners and decided to give it another go a couple of weeks ago to compare. Previously I'd roll the ball to it and it would just crest the slight ramp and drop home. But now I'm hitting the ball so hard it slams into it or bounces out. So I put it on the new mat and lo and behold it was back to a fairly gentle drop into place.

So I'm now convinced that if nothing else putting off a mat rather than carpet is essential for speed training. Being able to see the line of puts and add break would be neat.

Oh and it looks like the copy writer for that comes from a similar school to the one that did the text on the box mine came with:

"With the enhancement of putter technology and gaming, we can raise the challenge level, which will give the participants a full sense of achievement. Everybody can gain immense pleasure from such a design."

"The surface material is goosed down. Its back material is degradable, and all oil paints used for printing are made from environmental materials with no harm to human."

"The life-like silicon hole has the same size of real golf hole, and it‘s movable; The new metal golf goal brings you 3X Value and Experience: higher stability, higher difficulty, and more balls holding".

Well, I must say that when I play golf I always enjoy more balls holding..er :)

I have a few that I use, main one being my arc putting mat. Use it from growing the stroke that I want, slight inside on the backswing. Also use some gates for start lines, got a pack with 3 in it in various sizes, just alter the distance for the different sizes. And I usually put to a disc on the floor to simulate a hole. I like to have something to put to as it helps with judging pace etc. If i don't put the disc down then I will putt the first one then the next ones are either short of that or longer than that, which I feel helps with judging the distances aswell.

WITB

Taylormade M2 driver 9.5 Fujikura Pro 60 stiff shaft
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood Fubuki Z-65 x5ct stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedges 50, 54, 58, Dynamic Gold
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

Home club https://www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk

I use a mat like Andrue.

I had this one for years. It's a real cheapie. It's just a thin piece of felt, but it works fine.

Just this year, I got this one.(*) The felt is thicker and the bottom is kind of rubberized. And it's a couple feet longer. With the rise at the end, I think it can fairly simulate almost a 12 foot putt because it's about 9 feet long, with a little rise at the top. I also find that when I putt from the sides of the mat, the ball takes a little break as it slows going up the ramp and this simulates sidehill-uphill putts that you want entering the hole at 5 o'clock or 7 o'clock, where your aim point is actually a tad outside the hole. It's amazing how many putts I meet on the course where I go, "oh, this looks just like a stock putt on my mat".

But mostly, when I'm putting indoors, I'm mostly just working on my stroke. Just putts, putts, putts over and over again so that my feel is good, I'm hitting the center of the face and I see balls going in, and so I can't get set-up wrong on the course. Believe me, you hit a few thousand putts at home focussed on set up, you're not going to get it wrong on the course.

You can get really good at "the putting mat", so you need to mix it up. Putt from the sides of the mat, putt to EDGES of the hole. Putt to make them barely drop in. Putt to ram them in. Hit putts right handed. Hit putts left handed.

You can set up two balls outside the width of your putter with a ball in the middle to make sure you're hitting the center of the face.

Working off a tip from a buddy, you can also set up "gate drill" that can make you even more accurate than a hole. You can set up a gate, say 18 inches out, using anything (e.g. ball sleeves) and see how often you can roll a ball through the gate. THIS SITE has a chart for their product that indicates good distances/width combinations depending if you're looking for a tolerance of .5%, 1%, 1.5%.

(*) the problem with this mat is that the paint actually feels a little raised and can bump balls offline (or online) that hit the paint at shallow angles. I rubbed mine down with a pumice stone.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

metronome or metronome app, a yardstick and alignment rod/driveway marker. Teaches you to monitor hip rotation, good rhythm/tempo, and face control. Keep it simple

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

I've been looking at this https://www.ohksport...cts/putting_mat

That looks like mine only much better built. The ramp for mine is plastic - and not particularly square plastic either since it has a slight break to it and I have to prop up one edge with a thin book. I also occasionally find balls get stuck half way down the chute. You pays your money and you makes your choice :)

• 2 weeks later...

sky2428lrg-1_1000x1000.jpg?v=1512804376

Truly the best putting training aid ever.

Maybe I'm dumb, but I don't get it.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

Maybe I'm dumb, but I don't get it.

No Sir, you are not. You are curious and intrigued. First of all I thank you kindly for your question.

Before I explain what it serves for maybe some one else would like to make a suggestion.

In between I have a question If I were a high profile teaching pro with the reasonable going rate of only $149 per hour-would you come over for a lesson on putting?! This ladder costs you only $50 and you probably own one already. Point here ia: what is the added value of Dr. Baudi and his unorthodox methods.

First off, I didn't ask a question. Secondly, after reading your reply I'm no closer to "getting it". So I'll remain ignorant..... which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

@ yMark.

Good point. I interpreted your comment as a question. My bad.

The reply I gave sort of relates to a topic/ thread why players do not take lessons.

That did not work out at all. So I deleted my post. Truly sorry for the inconvenience.

I 'll see if I can upload a picture to prove a kitchen step ladder is a fantastic aid for practicing putts.