Kirk Junge and his "Setup 4 Impact" Golf Swing

BigEx44

I don't use the SL Clubs but did buy the Jumbomax grips ( medium ) and now do the DeChambeau 1-plane swing. Experienced no loss in distance on woods and actually picked up 10 yards on my irons. Made this switch about a month ago and love it. Very simple swing and super easy to repeat.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

> @logoesgolfing145 said:

> > @danattherock said:

> > Yesterday I had my 2nd lesson with Tony Griffin in central NC, he is a certified instructor for Kirk Junge. Kirk Junge formed Setup 4 Impact single plane swing method. It's simple, no doubt about it, and I made quick improvements during our two hours together, with a clear plan what to do moving forward. He emailed a few videos of my swing with audio commentary afterwards, just a very clear and concise golf lesson.

> >

> > Following up with another lesson in a few weeks. I suspect it will be the last lesson required, this isn't rocket science. So three lessons totalling 4-5 hours of instruction. A bit ahead of myself, as I'm still learning, but wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if I have this swing figured out after one more lesson.

> >

> > Adding the jumbomax grips after my first lesson helped tremendously. I've got some work to do, but the benefits were nearly instantaneous. I'm very glad I ran across the single plane swing method of Kirk Junge. Lots of videos on his YouTube channel, but if you want the real info you have to join his website, which has many in depth videos on how to employ his methods. Or take lessons or attend a 3 day school with Kirk and/or Tony.

> >

> > Hate the term, but click bait is what his free videos seem to be. I've watched numerous free videos on YouTube by Kirk, not very useful to learn the swing in my opinion. Personal lessons or joining his website would be my suggestion to anyone interested. And I suggest it highly, just not the free videos on YouTube, they lack the details in my opinion. I'm just a bogey golfer, others might find the YouTube videos more useful.

> >

> > Kirk Junge and Tony, do 1:1 instruction and 3 day golf schools in Florida, Ohio, and NC. I suspect most folks just learn it from the content and many detailed videos on his membership website though. One cool free feature, you can send Kirk video often as you like and he will respond giving you his input. So there is good ongoing support to members as they learn his Setup 4 Impact swing.

> >

> >

> > Dan

> > North Carolina

> I am currently playing one length irons and am interested in a single plane style swing a la Dechambeau style. What are the distances like with this swing method he teaches? Do you notice a drastic loss of power?

>

Nope, it's a very compact (in my case) swing, but quite powerful. I have some health issues pushing me towards this one plane swing. Near 7 year hiatus from the game till this past year. To my surprise, iron yardages are very similar to what they were in past. I did pick up set of Callaway Apex with reg flex shafts, and reg flex driver also, as my swing speed is slower. My logic, hitting more shots closer to center of face with my new swing is bridging the distance gap I anticipated.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I subscribed for a little bit to his paid content. It wasn't well produced but the concepts were relatively easy to understand and see. My thing is if I'm going to go full into a single plane swing, I'd rather consume the material Todd Graves publishes on YouTube. I've played around a lot with this swing and have been using it off and on for a bit. I'd recommend possibly looking at both and deciding. From what I remember, I believe Kirk used to be an instructor under the Graves Golf Academy and eventually went off on his own and created his own system based off of Moe Norman's swing.

Thanks for the reply vinprun, I have looked at both and it seems the bent front leg in graves swing would make you lose power,I am giving setup 4 impact a try as of yesterday (3/18 ) to see if I can get some consistentcy and yardage back. I signedup for the monthly sub so its worth a couple of months to see if it helps. The only thing it dont seem he puts out any new information lately.

Yes. Kirk used to teach for the old Moe Norman "Natural Golf". He also taught a while for the Graves Brothers. I like Kirk's stuff better for two reasons. One, he has a more flexible model. And two, he's A LOT cheaper. Once you've signed up to his site for a modest fee - not only do you have access to all his video's - but you can also get what pretty much amounts to unlimited video analysis from him for free. I've taken lessons from Kirk and he's a great instructor. You can't go wrong with him.

I could talk forever about this swing. Been using it for 15 years, starting as Natural Golf. Junge’s swing is the one most like mine.

The setup is super important. Be precise with the grip and the location of the hands in space. If you get those right, you can eventually automate the swing. If I get my hands just a little high, the club goes back too inside. Slightly low causes too outside.

Try to do the complete system. All of my early struggles were due to not doing one or another piece due to personal preference. You’ll soon want bigger grips. I fit a medium glove, and I use midsize GP Tour Wraps which have a larger lower hand, plus I add 6 wraps of build up tape under the lower hand too. The most perfect stock grip shape I’ve tried is the new Winn Dri-Tac LT midsize. It has some taper in the top 3 inches or so, then is dead straight all the down. Perfect. But I don’t like the texture, personally. Maybe if I wore a glove, it’d be good.

One important change I am making is to keep firm wrists going back, ala Rahm and Bryson. It stops my flaw of getting floppy and up/out at the top. Club face much more square through the zone.

• Like 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

• 3 months later...

After swinging more conventional and gaining back some of the distance I lost years ago, I am going to try to go back to this tomorrow on my league. While gaining distance, my control went out the window with some shots. That and my back is starting to hurt so I need to do something.. I will report back whether the results were good or bad.

Well, the results were a mixed bag tonight. I decided I needed to try something because I had 2 shots, left and left of left. The first 6 holes were a work in progress and then it started to click. I left happy and looking forward to the weekend. I played the last 3 holes 1 over thanks to a 3 putt. There just may be light at the end the tunnel.

• Like 1

I should add, I do not do a perfect Junge swing nor is it a spot on Graves swing. My broken down body can only do what it can do so it is kind of a cross between the two. That said, I did not notice any loss of distance with the irons. The driver is not applicable as of yet, because I put a new driver in play last night that I never even hit till the first tee. I am pleased that I never lost it left so it is in good favor with me at the moment. But, at least for the short term future, I will be sticking to this and was proud of myself for battling through it last night and not reverting back after some wayward shots.

• 1 month later...

I'm just starting out myself. I've discovered the impact setup on my own when trying to make better contact with my tee shots while using the RS1 swing. After learning that Junge taught this very thing, I started to watch his videos. Tried his method today for the first time for a round with my irons and wedges as well... Wow! Seems like an easy progression to what I was already learning thru the RS1 swing.

Straight, long accurate shots. And no back soreness at the end. Most fun on course in a long time. Bad putting and horrid chipping decimated my score but from tee to green, I've never been more consistent. Playing partners were surprised as well. And I haven't official started his program yet. Just relied on Youtube thus far. Signing up soon and I really like his prices.

As far as Junge, I like his style of teaching a lot and his way of explaining things. So far I've only added his setup principles and its doing wonders.

I'm not quite sure I need to get larger grips and I'm not convinced I need to start using Winn. (I use GP CP2 Wraps standard with +4 Wraps.)

I will try to attend his 3-day school in PA in September if the dates get confirmed. It's suppose to happen they same weeked as an outing I'm going to out there at the same location.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

Larger grips help a lot.  Not saying JumboMax, but roughly 1/16" larger than you used with a conventional grip.  So I would conventionally take a std size, and now I use a midsize.   Larger really helps get the trail hand correctly positioned and snug.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

So then my grips are fine regarding size. Is there a weight issue as well?

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

• 4 weeks later...

I came across Kirk's swing some time ago in my endless search for the simplest golf swing (for reference, I'm 60).  Tried it for a bit then abandoned it because I wasn't consistent.  Came back around recently after some bad ball-striking, but this time, all I really ended up doing was raising my hands so the club is more vertical at set-up (thus hands are a little further away from the body), and perhaps standing a bit closer to the ball.  All I can say is WOW!  I've applied it to everything, included sand shots and chipping, and I'm hitting the ball more consistently solid than I've ever hit it.  Was scaring par for 9 holes recently until I sliced 2 into the water on one hole (seems I was standing a bit too close to the ball with driver).  Kirk actually mentioned in one of his vids that simply raising the hands has helped some, and I'm a testament to that.  And with my stance being a bit more upright, the back feels a lot better as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2019 at 2:03 PM, BigEx44 said:

I just got back from a Kirk Junge 3 day school down in West Palm Beach Florida.

I had a lot of fun and I found myself really striking the ball well by the end of the end of the school.

Kirk is an excellent instructor and teaches a swing that has a lot of similarities to Bryson Dechambeau's swing.

I highly recommend the school for anyone who may be struggling with their golf swing.

Here a couple of his video's:

A comparison of Kirk Junge's swing to Bryson Dechambeau's

• 9 months later...
7 minutes ago, Rusty40 said:

OK lets see if we can get this topic going again, I got kirks paid program and didn't really give it a fair trail. I have bought some cobra f7 one length irons ( with jumbo grips ) and going to really give it a try this time, I am 62 and retired now so I can give it some time hopefully this time.

Great. I’m likely  going to commit as well. One of Kirk’s students turned teacher is in his 60’s and he said in a Facebook post that you really have to devote yourself to the impact drills for a couple months…so I’m really going to focus on that. Plus for $50 per month with reviews is a great deal 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 9:47 PM, Dfrank6969 said:

@JeffK I was wondering the same thing.  I hit the ground first with the toe of the club. I'm not sure what the answer is.  I do love my driver now though! Best club in my bag!

On 9/6/2021 at 1:53 PM, Jeff K said:

Hi All

When I ground my club with the S4I position, the heel is not on the turf. I have upright clubs, and if I had them bent the 2 degree max, the heel would still set high. Kirk says that if the club was grounded correctly with old swing, it should be with S4I. Anyone else have this situation?

Maybe overexaggerating how high you are holding your hands at impact? I know when I setup, the club is soled completely flat (rather than slightly toe up in a two plane swing). And my clubs are 2 degrees flat actually to begin with. Let me ask this, with your impact position in a two plane swing, are your hands slightly higher at impact than where they are at with a two plane setup?