G410 irons...took the leap

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

MtlJeff is now a Ping G man again.   Got G410's in 4 to Sand Wedge! Super Psyched

I bit the bullet and sold my G's, and purchased the G410's. Played 18 holes on Friday, and my buddy couldn't belive how many greens I hit. Ball flight was much higher than my G series, and all shots

> @Nessism said: > There have been a LOT of complaints across Ping's iron product line regarding the finish durability. G700, G400, G410, i200, i210, iblade, pretty much all the chrome plated

I couldn’t find the logs from when I did the gap testing but if memory serves me yardages with the G410s were:

PW - 145-150

9 - 165-170

8 -185-190

7 - 205-210

6 - 225-230

5 - 240-245

Would like to try tweaking lofts to tighten up the gaps, particularly in the short end where it matters, unfortunately I sold my loft/lie machine and the G410’s.

Driver - Ping G425 LST 9* Ventus Black 6X
Fairway - ?

Irons - 2019 Cobra King MB 5-GW KBS $-taper 130X

SW - Cobra MIM Black 56 Versatile KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

LW - Cobra MIM Black 60 Low KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putter - Tour Issue Odyssey Protype PT12 Butane Finish

im playing off 3 and using the g410s

5 6 7 8 iron 9 w u in i210. pretty much perfect. I dont play a lot these days but find these clubs very easy to hit. slight mishits make no difference. had 1 or 2 shots with the 6 iron that I nailed and just went way too far. no regrets other than I might have split at the 8 iron rather than 9 if I went back in time

so my father in law has been harping about how good these 410 irons are. Thought I would give them a try....walked into the fit and traded in my P790 irons for them. So consistent and much cheaper, surprisingly good feel as well

Titleist TSi3 9° | Tensei AV Raw White 65S

TBD | Tensei AV Raw White 75S
Titleist 818H2 21º | Atmos HB TS Blue 8S
Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW | Modus 105S
Callaway MD5 50°W 54°S 58°X | KBS $-Taper 120S

TBD
Titleist ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have feedback on the set SW and/or LW and can provide photos of them too?

TBD
Titleist ProV1x

I have the set SW and like it for consistent gapping. I use a 58 Stealth Glide 2 around the greens and it’s pretty close for gapping as well on full swing shots.

Ping G410 10.5º HZDRUS Smoke 6.0 70g

Ping G25 5w Project X Pxv 53 6.0

Ping G410 3h ATMOS TS Blue 8

Ping G410 4h Tour 85 stiff

Ping G410 5-SW blue dot Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105 stiff

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58º AWT wedge

Scotty Cameron 2014 Fastback Select 35” Superstroke Flatso

Titleist ProV1x

Ok perfect thanks! With the price drop of the G410 irons im thinking of just biting the bullet and getting the matching SW & LW at $112.99/per. A lot cheaper than specialty wedges

TBD
Titleist ProV1x

I also love the G410 4 iron. It’s as easy to hit as the 5 iron. For me it’s much straighter than my hybrid:)

Titleist ProV1x

I don’t spin it quite as much. It flies high so the descent angle gives plenty of stop with some backspin.

Titleist ProV1x

I picked up a set of 4-U a couple of weeks back. I'm so impressed with the U wedge greenside that I am going to go get the sand wedge tomorrow, and may very well pick up the lob. Keep in mind, I've been a forged blade snob for years and have always had specialty wedges for versatility. Well, playing on dormant Bermuda here in central Florida, these G410 wedges provide excellent defense against digging and spin way more than expected. I had concerns about them being too hot to chip and pitch with, but I am finding them to be very controllable. I'll update when I get time with the higher lofted models, but they are making the short game a lot of fun.

As for the irons, I took them out and hit a few shots head to head with my 718MBs. The ease of use the g410s provide is really hard to ignore. I even like the way they feel by comparison. As I said, I've a long history with players irons and forged blades, and consider myself a low handicap player with several sub-par rounds to my credit, but I'm not sure I see myself going back.

For those of you guys that are using the G410's and NOT using the set wedges what wedges did you go with that blended with the set the best?

TBD
Titleist ProV1x

I’m thinking of going that route too. SM7s seem a little too punishing for me especially since I’m trying to move to a more forgiving bag

TBD
Titleist ProV1x

Glide 3.0's - 3 of them. See my WITB below.

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

Little late to the party, but finally convinced myself I needed a set of these. Excuse this time for buying new to me sticks was a recent injury or 2 that had me thinking about leaving my clubs at home while I visited family in Texas. Found a set of 410's (4-pw) with stiff OEM graphite shafts,( Callaway Pre owned), not sure how or why they had these for such a great price???Figured the light weight shaft and lower SW would allow me to play a few rounds. Was thinking of ordering a U & SW to match before the trip, but figured I'd just play my stealths. At least until I see how I make out with the rest of the 410's.

i've been playing the Cobra f7 irons for about 4 yrs or so. Looking to purchase new set of irons . Hit the Cobra Forged Tec irons and damn they are beautiful to look at, but im a mid-handicap and think I need more help. Hit the Ping G410 and they feel great, very good carry distance and poor shots werent as punished as the Cobras or Ping i500 for that matter

i'm 52, driver swing speed is 96mph. I've always played graphite shafts with my irons, just feels easier on mishits. However, i'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for the 'new' graphite/steel hybrids irons shafts? anyone try these?

getting fitted at TXG here in Toronto in a week or so, nonetheless, thuoght i'd ask

cant wait to get these clubs!!!!

I’ve heard great things about the Mitsubishi MMT iron shafts. I’d get some myself but don’t want to pony up the money

TBD
Titleist ProV1x

Just had my first round with the G410’s and I’m in love. Such good results even with a not so perfect swing. It’s only one round but super super impressed

TBD
Titleist ProV1x

I just ordered in power lofts mainly because I like a 52 / 58 wedge set up and have a 19 degree hybrid. In theory the gapping should work well with the 47.5 degree u wedge and 22 degree 5 iron. I like starting the year with 13 clubs. If I find a deficiency somewhere, i can fill it. Also never had an issue with launch or spin, so the strong lofts don't scare me. I can report back later.

G400 Max 9 Degree Tour75x
G400 3 Wood Tour75x
G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
Ping G700 4i KBS Tour x
Ping G410 5-UW KBS Tour x
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 & 58 DG x100
Taylormade Spider X

If you can pick up a set in good condition under $500 your doing really well. Most I’ve watched on eBay end in the $500-$600 range.

Driver - Ping G425 LST 9* Ventus Black 6X
Fairway - ?

Irons - 2019 Cobra King MB 5-GW KBS $-taper 130X

SW - Cobra MIM Black 56 Versatile KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

LW - Cobra MIM Black 60 Low KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putter - Tour Issue Odyssey Protype PT12 Butane Finish

I’m ordering mine tomorrow. My swing speed is 90 mph with a 7 iron. I’m ordering the dynamic gold s300 130 gram shafts in d4 swing weight in all the clubs. 6-sw. I picked out a 4 hybrid and lofted up my 3 wood to 18 degrees. I was hitting the 3 wood 215 carry with run out on monitor. Fit into a SFT driver. With an 85 gram even flow shaft. And I’ve got new clubs. I had been experimenting with lighter shafts but I’m a really aggressive strong swing guy so the shafts just never caught up and I was all over the place. After fitting I finally pulled out my eye 2 irons I’ve played since 1987 and put them back into rotation. The g410 irons are the first set I liked enough to replace my eye 2 babies. Oddly I still play the same shaft after 30 years.

I'm playing really well with these. It's a big leap into the larger profile. I initially picked up some i210s, but really much prefer these. They are appreciably easier to play than the players irons I've been using for so long.

I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I went all in on forgiveness with these. I wanted an entire bag that was ultra-easy to swing. A year ago, I was playing MP18 blades and vokeys with KBS Tour 130x. Now, I have the G410s (4-s) with AWT regular and a Glide Stealth 58. The difference is dramatic. I don't have to be perfect. In fact, I can swing easy and hit the ball as far, if not farther, but with more consistency because I'm swinging within myself. These have been really consistent in terms of distance control, and I have only hit one shot in 5 rounds that I felt went considerably farther than u expected (9 iron from 141 went over the green), but I hit a really hard "over the top" pull that you would expect to finish long. I do tend to overpower the 4 iron shaft at times, but I'll get that figured out.

For those that asked earlier, the sand wedge has been really awesome. It's been rock solid on full swings, and is super easy to chip with. If you struggle at all with digging around the greens, these might be a nice option. They are NOT as versatile as specialty wedges, but are dummy proof with straight faced shots like bumps and pitches.

6 years ago, I was playing to par or better roughly every 5th round, and rarely scored over 76. Since then, however, my play time has dwindled and my scores and consistency have been going the wrong direction. I'll play 5-6 solid holes at a time, but can't seem to keep a full round together. Since picking these up, my confidence has started growing, and I have been hitting more and more quality shots. I really think I might be chasing par again soon. I've never been a big believer in forgiveness, but these may have me changing my tune.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone have experience buying a used set of 410s and reshafting them and/or adjusting SW heavier? I'm looking for a used set and I'm curious how difficult a re-shaft/SW adjustment would be with their new Toe/hosel weighting system. I like heavy and I'm assuming most used sets floating around will be no heavier than D 0/1.

Edit: Other than lead tape of course. I have a giant roll, but hope to re-shaft and only use lead to fine tune.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"