Honma Experts - Is the new TW 747 Series Made in Japan or China/Taiwan?

theothertwo

Doesnt seem to be that big a deal to me.....a forging press doesnt give a s*** where it strikes the head.....if QC is up to standards and they are overseen who cares....probably have newer machines in China and Taiwan anyway......just because it's in japan doesnt mean its gold.....depends on factory, QC, tolerances, and how tight a ship they run imo........if everything is run the same and steel they get is same, wont matter

• Like 1

Doesnt seem to be that big a deal to me.....a forging press doesnt give a s*** where it strikes the head.....if QC is up to standards and they are overseen who cares....probably have newer machines in China and Taiwan anyway......just because it's in japan doesnt mean its gold.....depends on factory, QC, tolerances, and how tight a ship they run imo........if everything is run the same and steel they get is same, wont matter

That's exactly the case for Honma I believe as far as clubs made and assembled in Taiwan. QC is still top notch. However, I believe the resale value of Japanese Made clubs is better.

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5 Driver
Honma TR21 16* 3 Wood
Honma TR21 Hybrid 19* and 23*
Callaway Apex 21 P-6 Irons
Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges 56-14F and 60-4T
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

Yep. This thread was kinda wacky, all over the Asian map; but it did some boost for me in that the value of my very fine TW727M 5-PW irons has increased again.

I really do enjoy these - I currently also play Callaway Razr-X MBs, forged by Endo; and once in-awhile my other Japan set of Mizzies - MP-32. All look and feel great for ball striking!

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

• 1 month later...

Well, ‘assembled’ is not ‘made’ and when OEMs blur that it makes one wonder what’s going on there...and...and it’s about integrity (not Randy’s pot brand)

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

> @dunn said:

> Doesnt seem to be that big a deal to me.....a forging press doesnt give a s*** where it strikes the head.....if QC is up to standards and they are overseen who cares....probably have newer machines in China and Taiwan anyway......just because it's in japan doesnt mean its gold.....depends on factory, QC, tolerances, and how tight a ship they run imo........if everything is run the same and steel they get is same, wont matter

What???

I thought the whole idea of JDM equipment was that it was made in Japan by the golf club equivalent of a bushido master, not in some Chinese factory stamping out car parts on a neighboring production line.

• 1 month later...

> @flushem said:

> > @larciel said:

> > > @flushem said:

> > > I have tw737 driver, 3w and 4h. They are made in China. Also, tw747 4h and V irons, made in Japan.

> > >

> > > All of them perform superbly.

> >

> > where did you get your 747 4h and v irons from?

>

> Famous and beloved E b@y

can't be from ksouth9.. is it? I'm very surprised he already has brand new 747 irons for dirt cheap.

does your iron have white filling on 747v? Used to be upto 737v, white fill meant MIJ and black fill was MIC.

> @larciel said:

> > @flushem said:

> > > @larciel said:

> > > > @flushem said:

> > > > I have tw737 driver, 3w and 4h. They are made in China. Also, tw747 4h and V irons, made in Japan.

> > > >

> > > > All of them perform superbly.

> > >

> > > where did you get your 747 4h and v irons from?

> >

> > Famous and beloved E b@y

>

> can't be from ksouth9.. is it? I'm very surprised he already has brand new 747 irons for dirt cheap.

>

> does your iron have white filling on 747v? Used to be upto 737v, white fill meant MIJ and black fill was MIC.

>

>

They are not brand new. I would call it "demo" conditions; unsealed, and visual marks on club faces. But they are super clean. I have black fill as seen in picture. The stickers indicate MIJ.

wkwqm8gaz606.jpg

I saw your concern from other thread. My friends and I had purchased many clubs from the same seller many times. If they are counterfeit as some claimed, they would be proven fake from the performance and the long term ownership. Also the registration process.

* Would fake forged irons generate butterly impact feel and consistent yardage?

* Would fake Mizuno boron irons have long lasting groove?

* Would the manufacturers leave this seller alone selling their (fake) products so cheap for decades?

Believe me. I asked the same question before.

No. When I asked if it was from ksouth, I meant I was very surprised that 747 got into his hands this fast. I remember 737 being flooded by Ksouth but that was almost 2 years after launch. 747 just launched 6 months ago. I don't doubt authenticity. I bought alot of honma clubs from ksouth as well.

the sticker on the shaft probably means your modus was made in japan. ? usually it was Made in Japan in the hosel.

• 1 month later...

I have seen and hit the new TW line and I cannot believe they were made in Japan as the finish and fit were very poor compared to past series. The ferrule was not even around the hosel with low spots and high spots and the shaft alignments were all over the place meaning the shaft labels were left and right of centre. They however felt very Honma like as in feel. They did not have made in Japan on the clubhead.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just won Honma TW X irons off eBay with a relatively low bid. Hope they aren’t “out of stock”...I won’t mind having to get the lofts/lies checked and adjusted as long as I actually receive them.

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

I seem to remember reading somewhere earlier this spring about people freaking out about how their are now made in China/Taiwan instead of in Japan.

One thing to remember now is that Honma is Chinese-owned and has been for a while now. So, if you are looking Honma because you think its Japanese, well, it may not be as Japanese as you think.

FWIW, I think that Mizuno and even Endo are doing more of their forging outside of Japan than they ever have and it hasnt seemed to really matter, so maybe its not all that big of a deal.

• Like 1

> @tsupo said:

> no they are NOT made iN japan

> they are made by honma business partners im china.

> the last model MIJ and not forged at honma was the the tw717m.

> all clubs are" assembled" in japan but not forged in JP.

>

This is incorrect. They have versions, like the Japanese market (and EU) one’s that are still forged in Japan. I saw the made in Sakata on the hosels.

0drs64jfqk8b.jpg

yourright ,im incorrect although i live in japan and had an imterview with the marketing guys at honma at a trade day 2weeks ago, u must be corrdct bec u " saw" made.in sakata on tje hosel.. u mean like this? shiock... people lie!

so

... excuse me ill go back in my i dont know a thing about JDM box and leave it to the experts from other planetz.

sorry to interject and ruin ur wa with facts we all know they fk up a good story!

btw ... i play honma ive got sets of thier mbs and the ONLY set that are MIJ are the the717m. these above ,the727m are NOT mij neither are the new models .

i love thier designs but it doesnt mean they are what they say.

but ur prob right

owari !

These Honma TW 727P 3 star irons are Made in Japan, the 727 followed the 717 series and are all Made In Japan.

Thoughts on these gold plated irons? Beautiful or not so much?

2fsrnzunz2ma.jpg

lhylulg9q65p.jpg

1gxwuqnzpq12.jpg

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5 Driver
Honma TR21 16* 3 Wood
Honma TR21 Hybrid 19* and 23*
Callaway Apex 21 P-6 Irons
Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges 56-14F and 60-4T
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

Thank you for the details. I believe those that say Honma has shifted all forging to China. But I’ve also been told directly by both their EU distributor and a source in Japan that they make two versions. The two version story seems to align with two differently priced models with Japanese version much higher. I’m EU for instance, they offered to get me the Chinese version for a significant lower price over what they sell Japanese version here, if I want. Was surprised by the offer! That’s why I’m thinking a small amount still forged in Japan. In the end, I’ll probably go with Miura!

> @tsupo said:

> 0drs64jfqk8b.jpg

> yourright ,im incorrect although i live in japan and had an imterview with the marketing guys at honma at a trade day 2weeks ago, u must be corrdct bec u " saw" made.in sakata on tje hosel.. u mean like this? shiock... people lie!

> so

> ... excuse me ill go back in my i dont know a thing about JDM box and leave it to the experts from other planetz.

> sorry to interject and ruin ur wa with facts we all know they fk up a good story!

> btw ... i play honma ive got sets of thier mbs and the ONLY set that are MIJ are the the717m. these above ,the727m are NOT mij neither are the new models .

> i love thier designs but it doesnt mean they are what they say.

> but ur prob right

• 1 month later...

Bought a set of 737v irons thinking they were made in Japan after hitting a set of 747v that we’re just butter. They were shafted with KBS your chrome 130x. Got mine, shafted and hit them with Modus 120x and KBS tour chrome 130x. Absolutely no comparison in feel. I’ve had plenty of JDM clubs. These are Chinese junk. Sure, they are nice looking, playable heads, but when you purchase a JDM product, you expect JDM quality. Finished in Japan means nothing.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm that the last MIJ line was the 727 series irons. Now for 747, there are US and "other region" version. The one in US dont have MIJ etched on the hosel while other region does. Though I'm not sure if both are the same MIC but because of the stricter law in US, they decided not to stamp MIJ because they're not...or if there are truly 2 manufacturing place.

• 3 months later...

I have a set of Honma 747V bought in the United States from a respected dealer who has sold a lof of Honma sets and other golf items.

The serial number inside the blackbox (52158110) on the shaft is a little bit different to the serial number on the hosel (X2158110). "5" and "X" indicate something or is it not authentic?

Thanks.

CFK21L0K1VA4.jpg

PQ8TMR41C2IA.jpg

• Like 1