2019 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

> @18majors said:

> > @ChronicSlicer said:

> > > @Stooch said:

> > > > @18majors said:

> > > > > @Stooch said:

> > > > > Patty Tavatanakit won her 3rd Symetra tour evnt this week will be interesting to see how she does on the LPGA.

> > > > > Interesting, what sucks for Patty is with the new Q-series last year they eliminated the battlefeild promotion after 3 wins, cause as mentioned she'd have easy access into the next 2 events.

> > > >

> > > > Patty had a great 2018 collegiate season and T5 at US Women's Open; but her season soured when she crushed at Q-Series.

> > > > She redeemed herself this year at Symetra Tour by winning her third title in eight starts; a total domination.

> > > > Will she exceed Kristen Gillman or Jennifer Kupcho in her LPGA career; we'll have to wait and see.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Yeah, having a bad week at the Q-series will haunt you for a little while, well if you're expect to make it that is.

> >

> > Won't she get a 2020 LPGA card if she finishes in top 10 on Symetra Tour money list?

>

> Yes, Patty is guaranteed to get her LPGA card with a priority inside top 100 to begin year 2020.

Yes ... her status for 2020 is "locked up" by virtue of her 3 Symetra Tour wins this season...though I don't believe that she can fall out of the top 10 Money List as there are only 3 EVents left and then the Season ending Symetra Tour Championship.

Of course, her money list status becomes redundant.

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

> @Argonne69 said:   > I don't think Michelle is going to be affected by marriage. 'Plenty of players continue to perform after getting married.   Spieth has 11 PGA tour wins prior to his Dece

In Gee at Lancaster Country Club; her good deeds will be rewarded!   "And they're off! LCC is thrilled to welcome back 2015 U.S. Women's Open Champion, In Gee Chun @ingeechun_dumbo for two days fille

Women's golf is a hard way to make a living, but for this Symetra Tour winner, it's worth a shot   [https://golfweek.com/2019/08/13/robynn-ree-womens-golf-symetra-tour-phc-classic-milwaukee/?utm_sour

> @18majors said:

> In Gee is contractually obligated to play KB Financial; otherwise I'd advise her to skip it and play China.

After the Texas event, won't she be either a) ineligible for China or b) qualified for all events to the end of the year already (Asian + Tour Championship)? If b), I don't think it would make a huge difference where you play that week. She could play Taiwan and Japan LPGA events if just trying to have a chance to win this year. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like there's a big difference between finishing 60th or 40th in any year-long stats (money, Rolex POY, Race to CME, etc)?

> @agolf1 said:

> > @18majors said:

> > In Gee is contractually obligated to play KB Financial; otherwise I'd advise her to skip it and play China.

> After the Texas event, won't she be either a) ineligible for China or b) qualified for all events to the end of the year already (Asian + Tour Championship)? If b), I don't think it would make a huge difference where you play that week. She could play Taiwan and Japan LPGA events if just trying to have a chance to win this year. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like there's a big difference between finishing 60th or 40th in any year-long stats (money, Rolex POY, Race to CME, etc)?

In Gee may still qualify for China even if she misses both cuts at Indiana and Texas.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @18majors said:

> > In Gee is contractually obligated to play KB Financial; otherwise I'd advise her to skip it and play China.

> After the Texas event, won't she be either a) ineligible for China or b) qualified for all events to the end of the year already (Asian + Tour Championship)? If b), I don't think it would make a huge difference where you play that week. She could play Taiwan and Japan LPGA events if just trying to have a chance to win this year. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like there's a big difference between finishing 60th or 40th in any year-long stats (money, Rolex POY, Race to CME, etc)?

Japan is a great chance for a win, it's limited field and all the big guns take it off as it's the week before the CME

This is the nature of the business; Yealimi Noh headlines a tournament with Lydia Ko, Jin Young Ko, Minjee Lee and Amy Yang in the field.

It helps that Yealimi is the newest Hana star sponsee.

[greened.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=211764](http://www.greened.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=211764 "greened.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=211764")

Established Hana Financial Group championship with the largest prize pool of KLPGA Tour 1.5 billion won; October 3-6.

![](http://www.greened.kr/news/photo/201909/211764_213121_3924.jpg "")

> @Stooch said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @18majors said:

> > > In Gee is contractually obligated to play KB Financial; otherwise I'd advise her to skip it and play China.

> > After the Texas event, won't she be either a) ineligible for China or b) qualified for all events to the end of the year already (Asian + Tour Championship)? If b), I don't think it would make a huge difference where you play that week. She could play Taiwan and Japan LPGA events if just trying to have a chance to win this year. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like there's a big difference between finishing 60th or 40th in any year-long stats (money, Rolex POY, Race to CME, etc)?

>

> Japan is a great chance for a win, it's limited field and all the big guns take it off as it's the week before the CME

Are you meaning the Toto Classic in Japan? If so, who are all the "big guns" who don't play there, last year Nasa won it, while Jin Young, Amy Yang, IK, So Yeon, Charley Hull, Minjee, Ingee, Nelly, Lexi, Sei Young, Shanshan,Ariya, Carlota, Brooke, DK, and Lydia were all playing. One can't assume those gals are the "little guns" :)

Last season the Toto was two weeks before the CME, with the Blue Bay the following week. If I recall correctly, the Blue Bay was a fairly weak field.

This year there's a two week gap between the Toto and CME. I'm not sure it'll have a weak field. However, it's the 4th event on the Asian swing in four weeks, so it's possible a few top players may skip it after playing three weeks in row.

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

> @ChronicSlicer said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > @18majors said:

> > > > In Gee is contractually obligated to play KB Financial; otherwise I'd advise her to skip it and play China.

> > > After the Texas event, won't she be either a) ineligible for China or b) qualified for all events to the end of the year already (Asian + Tour Championship)? If b), I don't think it would make a huge difference where you play that week. She could play Taiwan and Japan LPGA events if just trying to have a chance to win this year. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like there's a big difference between finishing 60th or 40th in any year-long stats (money, Rolex POY, Race to CME, etc)?

> >

> > Japan is a great chance for a win, it's limited field and all the big guns take it off as it's the week before the CME

>

> Are you meaning the Toto Classic in Japan? If so, who are all the "big guns" who don't play there, last year Nasa won it, while Jin Young, Amy Yang, IK, So Yeon, Charley Hull, Minjee, Ingee, Nelly, Lexi, Sei Young, Shanshan,Ariya, Carlota, Brooke, DK, and Lydia were all playing. One can't assume those gals are the "little guns" :)

I can't confirm the others but I know Brooke won't be there and what Jin Young said in Canada about then rest of her schedule with the math means she won't be there.

Edit: I didn't see there was a week off did a Chinese event get cancelled, I swore when I looked at the start of the season there was no week off, so you could get some of the top players I Guess. Perhaps Brooke just doesn't like the Scottish or the Japanese, cause for a player that likes to play every event as a pro she's never played in either country lol

> @Stooch said:

> > @ChronicSlicer said:

> > > @Stooch said:

> > > > @agolf1 said:

> > > > > @18majors said:

> > > > > In Gee is contractually obligated to play KB Financial; otherwise I'd advise her to skip it and play China.

> > > > After the Texas event, won't she be either a) ineligible for China or b) qualified for all events to the end of the year already (Asian + Tour Championship)? If b), I don't think it would make a huge difference where you play that week. She could play Taiwan and Japan LPGA events if just trying to have a chance to win this year. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like there's a big difference between finishing 60th or 40th in any year-long stats (money, Rolex POY, Race to CME, etc)?

> > >

> > > Japan is a great chance for a win, it's limited field and all the big guns take it off as it's the week before the CME

> >

> > Are you meaning the Toto Classic in Japan? If so, who are all the "big guns" who don't play there, last year Nasa won it, while Jin Young, Amy Yang, IK, So Yeon, Charley Hull, Minjee, Ingee, Nelly, Lexi, Sei Young, Shanshan,Ariya, Carlota, Brooke, DK, and Lydia were all playing. One can't assume those gals are the "little guns" :)

>

> I can't confirm the others but I know Brooke won't be there and what Jin Young said in Canada about then rest of her schedule with the math means she won't be there.

> Edit: I didn't see there was a week off did a Chinese event get cancelled, I swore when I looked at the start of the season there was no week off, so you could get some of the top players I Guess. Perhaps Brooke just doesn't like the Scottish or the Japanese, cause for a player that likes to play every event as a pro she's never played in either country lol

There was an event TBA after Japan but that was removed a few weeks an in a press conference before the CP Women's Open, the commissioner said Blue Bay, the event that had typically come after Japan in the fall was moving to the Spring for 2020. Argonne and a few others on here think it's likely to now make a trio of Thailand, Singapore and Blue Bay.

> @ChronicSlicer said:

> > @Stooch said:

>

> > Perhaps Brooke just doesn't like the Scottish or the Japanese, cause for a player that likes to play every event as a pro she's never played in either country lol

>

> She played the Toto Japan Classic in 2018 and 2017. T41 and T42 finishes.

Isn't there a rule where if a player is eligible she has to at least play every event at least once every 3 years?

> @fredogolfer said:

> > @ChronicSlicer said:

> > > @Stooch said:

> >

> > > Perhaps Brooke just doesn't like the Scottish or the Japanese, cause for a player that likes to play every event as a pro she's never played in either country lol

> >

> > She played the Toto Japan Classic in 2018 and 2017. T41 and T42 finishes.

>

> Isn't there a rule where if a player is eligible she has to at least play every event at least once every 3 years?

I don't believe the LPGA has adopted that rule.

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @Argonne69 said:

> Last season the Toto was two weeks before the CME, with the Blue Bay the following week. If I recall correctly, the Blue Bay was a fairly weak field.

>

> This year there's a two week gap between the Toto and CME. I'm not sure it'll have a weak field. However, it's the 4th event on the Asian swing in four weeks, so it's possible a few top players may skip it after playing three weeks in row.

Seems like it would be difficult to skip an event in a golf crazed nation, a top market for women's golf and host of the Olympics in less than a year.

> @AWinfortheAges said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > Last season the Toto was two weeks before the CME, with the Blue Bay the following week. If I recall correctly, the Blue Bay was a fairly weak field.

> >

> > This year there's a two week gap between the Toto and CME. I'm not sure it'll have a weak field. However, it's the 4th event on the Asian swing in four weeks, so it's possible a few top players may skip it after playing three weeks in row.

>

> Seems like it would be difficult to skip an event in a golf crazed nation, a top market for women's golf and host of the Olympics in less than a year.

Usually LPGA is the biggest tournament with biggest purse in any country; it's true in Australia, Thailand, Singapore, France, UK, Scotland, Canada, China, Korea and Taiwan.

Not in Japan. three regular JLPGA events have larger purses and some higher prestige.

Besides; it's a 3 rounder, a totally underwhelming tournament.

If anybody is looking for a good time I recommend this podcast hosted by Beth Allen. I listened to the one with Laura Davies and Trish Johnson and there are some good stories about Solheim Cups past, the camraderie among European players and insight into team dynamics.

https://www.spreaker.com/show/on-the-dance-floor

'Just browsing through the LPGA stats page. The 100th ranked player in scoring average is averaging 72.0. Five years ago it was 72.7, and the 57th ranked player was averaging 72.0. Ten years ago the 100th ranked player averaged 73.2, and the 37th player was averaging 72.0.

Looking at the money list, the players currently on the bubble to keep their cards are averaging ~72.0. Imagine playing ~60 rounds of tournament golf at even par, and still having to worry about losing your playing privileges for the following year.

> @Argonne69 said:

> 'Just browsing through the LPGA stats page. The 100th ranked player in scoring average is averaging 72.0. Five years ago it was 72.7, and the 57th ranked player was averaging 72.0. Ten years ago the 100th ranked player averaged 73.2, and the 37th player was averaging 72.0.

>

> Looking at the money list, the players currently on the bubble to keep their cards are averaging ~72.0. Imagine playing ~60 rounds of tournament golf at even par, and still having to worry about losing your playing privileges for the following year.

Many complain about goat track courses; but better players is probably the reason scores have been better.

In Gee Chun averaged 69.50 over 2016-2017; but hasn't been able to break 71 the last two seasons. Courses can bite if players don't perform.

Curious how cut lines have changed over the past 5 years. My gut tells me that on average the cut line has moved a stroke or two. There are a handful of birdiefest courses where the players have to go crazy low, but there are still a handful than can bite if the players' games are off.

> @Argonne69 said:

> 'Just browsing through the LPGA stats page. The 100th ranked player in scoring average is averaging 72.0. Five years ago it was 72.7, and the 57th ranked player was averaging 72.0. Ten years ago the 100th ranked player averaged 73.2, and the 37th player was averaging 72.0.

>

> Looking at the money list, the players currently on the bubble to keep their cards are averaging ~72.0. Imagine playing ~60 rounds of tournament golf at even par, and still having to worry about losing your playing privileges for the following year.

Saw on Golf Digest an article on the men's side about how a player would have finished had he shot even-par in every round. In 41 starts, he would have missed the cut 22 times with only 1 top 10 and top 20 (same tournament, the PGA Championship). And if you take out the majors and the WGC's, he would have missed the cut in 22 of 34 tournaments with no top 20's and only 3 top 30's.

> @18majors said:

> > @AWinfortheAges said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > Last season the Toto was two weeks before the CME, with the Blue Bay the following week. If I recall correctly, the Blue Bay was a fairly weak field.

> > >

> > > This year there's a two week gap between the Toto and CME. I'm not sure it'll have a weak field. However, it's the 4th event on the Asian swing in four weeks, so it's possible a few top players may skip it after playing three weeks in row.

> >

> > Seems like it would be difficult to skip an event in a golf crazed nation, a top market for women's golf and host of the Olympics in less than a year.

>

> Usually LPGA is the biggest tournament with biggest purse in any country; it's true in Australia, Thailand, Singapore, France, UK, Scotland, Canada, China, Korea and Taiwan.

> Not in Japan. three regular JLPGA events have larger purses and some higher prestige.

> Besides; it's a 3 rounder, a totally underwhelming tournament.

Correct! Hence why I think Shibuno is content on the JLPGA (as of now). Also the reason why Yuka probably decided to get her card on this tour as well. And might be an option to some players that fail QSchool in LPGA these next few months -- especially Asian based players

> @Newinup said:

> > @18majors said:

> > > @AWinfortheAges said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > Last season the Toto was two weeks before the CME, with the Blue Bay the following week. If I recall correctly, the Blue Bay was a fairly weak field.

> > > >

> > > > This year there's a two week gap between the Toto and CME. I'm not sure it'll have a weak field. However, it's the 4th event on the Asian swing in four weeks, so it's possible a few top players may skip it after playing three weeks in row.

> > >

> > > Seems like it would be difficult to skip an event in a golf crazed nation, a top market for women's golf and host of the Olympics in less than a year.

> >

> > Usually LPGA is the biggest tournament with biggest purse in any country; it's true in Australia, Thailand, Singapore, France, UK, Scotland, Canada, China, Korea and Taiwan.

> > Not in Japan. three regular JLPGA events have larger purses and some higher prestige.

> > Besides; it's a 3 rounder, a totally underwhelming tournament.

>

> Correct! Hence why I think Shibuno is content on the JLPGA (as of now). Also the reason why Yuka probably decided to get her card on this tour as well. And might be an option to some players that fail QSchool in LPGA these next few months -- especially Asian based players

My point is Toto Japan Classic is a mediocre tournament; not that JLPGA can compare with LPGA.

Total JLPGA purse is $37.2 million; half of LPGA's $72.0 million.

Winner of JPGA tournament, including majors, earns less than 20.0 Rolex points. LPGA tour winner, on average, earns 48.0 points; 100 for all five majors.

LPGA is it; but not every LPGA tournament is great.

> @18majors said:

> > @Newinup said:

> > > @18majors said:

> > > > @AWinfortheAges said:

> > > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > Last season the Toto was two weeks before the CME, with the Blue Bay the following week. If I recall correctly, the Blue Bay was a fairly weak field.

> > > > >

> > > > > This year there's a two week gap between the Toto and CME. I'm not sure it'll have a weak field. However, it's the 4th event on the Asian swing in four weeks, so it's possible a few top players may skip it after playing three weeks in row.

> > > >

> > > > Seems like it would be difficult to skip an event in a golf crazed nation, a top market for women's golf and host of the Olympics in less than a year.

> > >

> > > Usually LPGA is the biggest tournament with biggest purse in any country; it's true in Australia, Thailand, Singapore, France, UK, Scotland, Canada, China, Korea and Taiwan.

> > > Not in Japan. three regular JLPGA events have larger purses and some higher prestige.

> > > Besides; it's a 3 rounder, a totally underwhelming tournament.

> >

> > Correct! Hence why I think Shibuno is content on the JLPGA (as of now). Also the reason why Yuka probably decided to get her card on this tour as well. And might be an option to some players that fail QSchool in LPGA these next few months -- especially Asian based players

>

> My point is Toto Japan Classic is a mediocre tournament; not that JLPGA can compare with LPGA.

> Total JLPGA purse is $37.2 million; half of LPGA's $72.0 million.

> Winner of JPGA tournament, including majors, earns less than 20.0 Rolex points. LPGA tour winner, on average, earns 48.0 points; 100 for all five majors.

> LPGA is it; but not every LPGA tournament is great.

>

Correct again! Hence why I think some players would prefer JLPGA (eg shibuno) for now given their "state" (shibuno wants to claim best JLPGA player status in terms of earnings -easier to do at JLPGA given her nationality and relative competition she faces, at least that's what i read she is aiming for: top money winner this year in JLPGA excluding the british open purse, and players like Yuka think it's a good alternative option if qschool fails (due to decent purse and proximity to home)

> @18majors said:

> @Golf Dino, @Stooch

>

> Viva Canada; Land of Champions!

Not golf related, but Mario Lemieux should have his own official holiday, in my neck of the woods anyway. He helped save a team, and brought it to the elite status once again. Go PENS!!! ( Sorry about that, just glad Canada brought it's talent to my area)

> @Stooch said:

> > @18majors said:

> > @Golf Dino, @Stooch

> >

> > Viva Canada; Land of Champions!

>

> yeah she's a good one, she gonna be a handful for years to come. Nice we finally have a Major Chanp from Canada in Tennis.

The way Bianca man-handled Serena has rekindled my interest in Women Tennis.

It isn't a true sport when one player dictated every tournament like Serena did in the last 20 years.

> @18majors said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > > @18majors said:

> > > @Golf Dino, @Stooch

> > >

> > > Viva Canada; Land of Champions!

> >

> > yeah she's a good one, she gonna be a handful for years to come. Nice we finally have a Major Chanp from Canada in Tennis.

>

> The way Bianca man-handled Serena has rekindled my interest in Women Tennis.

> It isn't a true sport when one player dictated every tournament like Serena did in the last 20 years.

There's a new gerations of young teen talent from a bunch contries, I think the next decade in Women's tennis will be like the last decade in Men's tennis. You'll have a small group beating each other senseless trying to win those Majors

> @Stooch said:

> > @18majors said:

> > > @Stooch said:

> > > > @18majors said:

> > > > @Golf Dino, @Stooch

> > > >

> > > > Viva Canada; Land of Champions!

> > >

> > > yeah she's a good one, she gonna be a handful for years to come. Nice we finally have a Major Chanp from Canada in Tennis.

> >

> > The way Bianca man-handled Serena has rekindled my interest in Women Tennis.

> > It isn't a true sport when one player dictated every tournament like Serena did in the last 20 years.

>

> There's a new gerations of young teen talent from a bunch contries, I think the next decade in Women's tennis will be like the last decade in Men's tennis. You'll have a small group beating each other senseless trying to win those Majors

I's back into women tennis when Osaka beat Serena last year; but I gave up when Naomi insanely fired her coach after Australian Open.

Andreescu is a breeze of fresh air; it's revitalized women tennis.

> @18majors said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > > @18majors said:

> > > > @Stooch said:

> > > > > @18majors said:

> > > > > @Golf Dino, @Stooch

> > > > >

> > > > > Viva Canada; Land of Champions!

> > > >

> > > > yeah she's a good one, she gonna be a handful for years to come. Nice we finally have a Major Chanp from Canada in Tennis.

> > >

> > > The way Bianca man-handled Serena has rekindled my interest in Women Tennis.

> > > It isn't a true sport when one player dictated every tournament like Serena did in the last 20 years.

> >

> > There's a new gerations of young teen talent from a bunch contries, I think the next decade in Women's tennis will be like the last decade in Men's tennis. You'll have a small group beating each other senseless trying to win those Majors

>

> I's back into women tennis when Osaka beat Serena last year; but I gave up when Naomi insanely fired her coach after Australian Open.

> Andreescu is a breeze of fresh air; it's revitalized women tennis.

Yeah a very bad decision but she'll be fine, a lesson learned. Naomi has too much talent just a little speed bump with the process, she be there banging it out with Bianca and some others for years to come.