Chicken wing follow through

does it always have to be caused by a steep downswing? I'm pretty certain my downswing plane is not steep however I have a tendency to shorten (bend) the left arm through impact which generally results in a thin or bottom strike.

Are there any common issues that may cause this or can it be a fault of it's own? I tried a drill where I release the right hand from the grip post impact, practice swing only, and got a better feel of release when doing this. I transitioned this to hitting balls with a very loose right hand and hit a few decent shots. Any suggestions on this greatly appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most common causes for chicken wing are path (over the top) or a follow through that largely involves the upper body and minimizes hip turn.

Actually, many times it’s the opposite of all that. Depends on skill level of player. Often lower body fires early and incorrectly out of sequence, right elbow trails, and left elbow has to pull to avoid hitting behind it too far from the inside or hitting a hook. Spieth is an example of this.

Elbow trailing sounds suspiciously like that could be me. I’ve started using a smart ball to keep the elbows together, will this help? I suppose leading with the right elbow could be another?

Smart ball is a winner for this.

Most common causes for chicken wing are path (over the top) or a follow through that largely involves the upper body and minimizes hip turn.

Actually, many times it’s the opposite of all that. Depends on skill level of player. Often lower body fires early and incorrectly out of sequence, right elbow trails, and left elbow has to pull to avoid hitting behind it too far from the inside or hitting a hook. Spieth is an example of this.

Elbow trailing sounds suspiciously like that could be me. I’ve started using a smart ball to keep the elbows together, will this help? I suppose leading with the right elbow could be another?

Smart ball is a winner for this.

Thanks Monte, good insight here. I didn’t realise this was a reason for the right elbow to trail. For info I float around a 6 handicap.

One potential factor that I haven't heard many instructors mention (only Malaska) is not creating room for the arms to swing through setup, backswing and/or downswing movements.

For sure. Say it during lessons often.

I've been to 3 of your clinics, bought your D4D video, and seen every video you've done with Brendon on BBG and I don't recall you saying that once lol.

One potential factor that I haven't heard many instructors mention (only Malaska) is not creating room for the arms to swing through setup, backswing and/or downswing movements.

I've been to 3 of your clinics, bought your D4D video, and seen every video you've done with Brendon on BBG and I don't recall you saying that once lol.

You’re not paying attention then :-)

Here is one just last week.

You’re not paying attention then :-)

Here is one just last week.

https://www.instagra...id=k439hkyx59r0

I saw that one :)