2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Got the green light at home - Bandon first timer, going solo

philsRHman

Not sure the etiquette and if I should be tapping into an existing thread, but here goes nothing. Been reading like crazy, and really appreciate all the help and info. Here's my back story ...

Been in a bit of a midlife crisis the past year or so. Nothing crazy, just the realization that at 41, I'm not 25 anymore. I've got all these dream trips and I hate to think that if I keep putting them off, my window for visiting these places as a "golfer" is going to start close. Unfortunately, most of my buddies are casual golfers at best. I've taken buddy trips before but I'm not so interested in the night time shenanigans, I can go to Vegas or a guys trip with a hint of golf for that. But I desperately want a deep golf experience, where I can just completely unplug and immerse myself in the game, the stories, the architecture. Yes, I'm absolutely love to have a friend to share that with, but at the moment I can't keep waiting. I'll rely on you guys to be my digital golf buddies!

So, that said, I've been saving and plotting St. Andrew's for several years and my wife was seemingly on board. I thought it was perfect because she's a big royal family person and everything I read is it's great for golfers and non. But then she sort of off-handedly mentioned that St. Andrew's was "not even in the top 20" of places she wants to visit and knows it's No. 1 for me and I should feel free to go alone. That was tempting. Also tempting was author Tom Coyne's Scotland trip this summer, but I'd have to carve off on my own to do St. Andrews and I was looking at $6K without much effort at all, and I'm sure it would have been more. That's my year's worth of golf dues and I'd have hard choices to make. Truth be told, I also didn't want to wait for August, and it would also complicate our family vacation.

At the other end of the spectrum, three friends who are casual golfers are going to Orlando in late February. Would have been nice weather but it would be a guys trip with golf as part of it. I looked into adding Streamsong and that would have likely scratched the winter itch and been relatively inexpensive. But the date conflicts with something at home and I certainly wasn't going to push it for what was a marginal trip. Also, I am a firm believer in never playing golf at peak season, and right now Streamsong is peak.

So of course I wandered in here and started reading about Bandon. It's always been right behind Scotland on my bucket list, but I figured it's hard to get to from NJ, and expensive and weird to visit alone. But the more I read the more it seemed I was wrong on price and going solo. Started playing with some pricing. Looking at the calendar. Even called just to see what they had available, partially hoping they'd say it's fully booked. Turns out there's a single room in March, and I cleared a few days off with work. Floated it past my wife in a text this morning. About an hour later I was thinking, "oh man I really screwed the pooch this time, she hasn't even answered, she's freezing me out!" Then I looked at my phone and realized she'd answered a minute after I sent it with "I think you should go for it!" Got butterflies in my stomach immediately, since that was the biggest hurdle. Looks like it's really going to happen.

So now I've got to decide a few things. I think these are hard things for anyone else to answer, but open to any advice if you have it:

1. Flying from Newark to Portland landing at noon. By the time I get the car and drive I'll get to Bandon around 5 p.m. I'd have less than 2 hours of day light. Wondering if the practice range will be open that late. If so, great. How about the Punchbowl? (Will I look like a weirdo out there by myself? I figure later in the trip maybe I'll have made some friends for a Punchbowl visit.) If I'm arriving that late, does it even make sense to stay on site that night? I can book something in Bandon for $60-100 (vs. 220 on site) and just drive over in the morning. I assume I'd get resort golf rates for arrival and departure day, right?

2. Do I book four nights or five? I figure if I'm making the trip and can swing it, I should go five days. I know i'm going to want to play as much as I can, but if that means 36 for four days and 18 on departure day, that's a lot, especially since i'm out of golf shape. I'm wondering if I should back it down a day, which would save me about $600-700 (220+ for room, 225 for 36 holes, a caddie, food, car).

3. The more I read reviews and folks here, it seems Pacific and BD are head and shoulders above. But the catch-22 seems to be that to really appreciate Old Mac you need to play it several times. That seems risky. Let's say I've got 5 days (9 rounds). I've tentatively sketched out: BD (3x), Pacific (3x), OM (1x), Trails (1x), Preserve (or second OM/Trails if Preserve is still closed). Is that just too out of whack? What if I love Trails or OM and kick myself? I figured I could swap in an afternoon there if I wanted to. Another thought is to play OM twice on the same day while it's fresh. Per my last question, if I cut back to 4 days, I could still get BD (2x), Pacific (2x), OM and Trails. I love playing a course multiple times, as the first round is just learning it, after that it's really playing it. Any advice on how to divide up 9 or 7 rounds? Am I overdoing it to the point of burning myself out?

3a. Feel like I want to front load Pacific and BD just in case the weather gets awful later in the trip. But I'm coming out of the winter and do I risk wasting a round out there as a warm up? For that reason alone, I'm thinking of trying to book OM first since it sounds quite straight forward and wide open. Might even back off the 36 on the first day and play early and then spend the afternoon at Shortys trying to sharpen up. Don't want to hit many balls, as I've got a lot of golf to play and expect to be sore anyway.

4. I see very mixed opinions on caddies. I'm a big fan and I worked as a caddie myself. I figured I'd take a caddie each morning or for the first time on each course and play it by ear as the week goes on. I'd originally budgeted $100 a round, but now I'm seeing $120 appears the going rate. No worries just seeing conflicting numbers.

Going to book tomorrow, super psyched. Thanks for listening.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Personally I would just stay at a cheaper hotel off site the first night. You'll still get guest rates for golf the day of check in and day you leave. No one will hassle you if you go to the range when you arrive.

2) If you can afford it, book as many nights as you can. If you end up worn out at the end and need to cut a night off you can go check out and they probably won't charge you for the room for the last night. (I have done this before.) You will have to voucher any rounds of golf. (pay for it and get a gift card good for life) Not a bad option since like many others you'll probably decide you need to come back sometime anyway. If you do a long trip, I recommend alternating 18 and 36 hole days, just to give yourself a bit of a break. As a single if you decide you need to play more there's a pretty good chance you'll find an open time somewhere.

3. If you are there for 9 rounds, I'd try to book 2 rounds at each course. The extra can just go wherever it falls. Almost everyone has differing opinions on which course is their favorite, how they rank, what to play, etc. Make sure you play them all and decide on your favorites yourself. Just tell reservations your goal is X number of rounds, and you want to play each course twice if possible. They'll do their best to hook you up.

3a. I've done the winter layoff straight to Bandon a couple times. All four courses are fairly forgiving off the tee, room to miss. All four also have some pretty penal bunkers, but they are avoidable. I wouldn't worry about it. You probably won't lose many balls, but scores might not be up to expectations due to a few blow up holes, or one day where you get what is realistically unplayable weather, but you play anyway, cuz Bandon does weird things to your head. Embrace it and who cares about score.

4. Caddies add to a first timers experience (and help with fatigue!) but are spendy. I don't think the caddies will complain about 100 a round, but if they do solid work 120 is appropriate. Or do 100 and then the last round (you'll probably have the same caddie the whole time absent some big conflict) throw an extra tip in. If it's too spendy, you don't really NEED the caddie, the yardage books are plenty.

+1 on everything Edaw says above, especially the staying the first night off-site. Much cheaper and perfectly adequate. You probably won't sleep much.

Another good thing about that is when you arrive on-site the next morning (plan on breakfast at the Lodge), let the front desk know you are there. Your room won't be ready, but you'll be able to get a request in for which room you'd like. If you're in the Lodge, ask for a room in the North wing. They are generally quieter.

Don't over think the course schedule. As a single, you'll have quite a bit of flexibility in course selection, especially for the second round. When I'm there solo, I usually only book my morning round, then let the Golf Gods decide which course to play in the afternoon. Check with the pro shop of whichever course you are finishing and see which course has the best tee time available. You literally cannot make a bad decision. Agree that playing each course twice is a great goal, especially if you can make one of those happen on the same day. There is something really cool about finishing up a round, getting a bite to eat then heading right back out on the same course.

Most players rate PD as their favorite, at least the first time they go, but the difference in quality of course design and presentation is minimal, at best. So I wouldn't say any of the courses are "head and shoulders" above any other. One of the great things about Bandon is that everyone has a reason for their "favorite" and they are all correct.

You are doing the right thing going solo. There will be a lot of singles there. It does not look weird at all for you to be on the Punchbowl (or the Preserve or Shorty's or any of the big courses) solo. In fact, experiencing one of the big courses on your own can be a sublime golf experience. Last time I went solo, I had PD all to myself for an entire afternoon. Let that sink in for a second. The time before that it was BD. Once you get past the "guaranteed finish" tee times in the afternoon, things really open up, and if you're not concerned with actually finishing 18 holes in order, you can have a blast tear-assing around any of the courses. All of the courses have shorter loops you can play, and the marshall's are all keen on guys doing that.

When I read your comment about wanting to go somewhere to get a "deep golf experience," I just chuckled a bit, as I was in the same boat about 8 years ago. My buddies were coming up with lots of excuses not to go, which really just came down to the fact that they weren't into golf as much as I was. And that's cool, but I wanted more than just a semi-athletic drinking game. Bandon satisfies that in spades.

But it also borders on addiction... :)

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

What Edaw and Spud said. :)

I too would plan to play each twice. As a single, you should have lots of flexibility in your afternoon rounds. So if you hate or love a course, you can change accordingly.

I actually like that you arrive in property the day before your first round. The 2 hrs of daylight can be used at the range, punchbowl, and Shorty's or even Preserve to shake off the travel and get familiar with the conditions.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Don't let the reviews or personal rankings influence your throughts on the courses. All four are fantastic, unique, beautiful, and worth it.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

Don't let the reviews or personal rankings influence your throughts on the courses. All four are fantastic, unique, beautiful, and worth it.

It’s funny. As much as I want to consume every word written, I am trying not to spoil it, and fear too many preconceived notions. I do plan to read Dream Golf between now and March 6, and maybe again on the plane LOL. I’d read DMK’s book on St. Andrews so I already feel a connection there. And as someone who learned the game reading Harvey Penick, I’ve been a lifelong fan of Ben crenshaw so I’m excited on so many levels.

I’m especially trying to avoid pictures. I want to experience it in life.

Awesome move, OP. Balls of steel to ask this on a text to the wife, for me it would take months of prep work and serious sit down convo. So glad you got there!

I bet there are a few of us all in the same boat, so please please keep reporting on your experience. Sounds like an amazing solo per other responders.

She’s great, absolutely fantastic and supportive. In a way I’ve been laying the groundwork, between trying to do Scotland and Florida. So it didn’t exactly come out of the blue. If you need any sense of how great, she was the one who encouraged me to pack up with 2 hours notice and drive to the Masters a couple years ago when I had just been laid off at work and was really down. Here’s that story:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1467030-crazy-masters-idea-thoughts/

Awesome move, OP. Balls of steel to ask this on a text to the wife, for me it would take months of prep work and serious sit down convo. So glad you got there!

I bet there are a few of us all in the same boat, so please please keep reporting on your experience. Sounds like an amazing solo per other responders.

She’s great, absolutely fantastic and supportive. In a way I’ve been laying the groundwork, between trying to do Scotland and Florida. So it didn’t exactly come out of the blue. If you need any sense of how great, she was the one who encouraged me to pack up with 2 hours notice and drive to the Masters a couple years ago when I had just been laid off at work and was really down. Here’s that story:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1467030-crazy-masters-idea-thoughts/

Wow. After reading that, I'm not worried about you at all. Will be a blast, you'll find the right people, all will be well.

I also hope you've been seeing the "Write for WRX" banner that has been popping up? Rather appreciate your voice compared to some others.

Thanks, Tokeyb. Really appreciate it.

So I just booked and set up my lineup. Seems like this has gone 0-60 in the blink of an eye. Got a King Golf room at the Inn. Asked to stay on a waiting list in case anything cheaper opens (unlikely since inside a month). 220 isn’t terrible though.

Travel day: arrive PDX at noon. Shortys if time; will get a cheap motel.

Day 1: OM; Trails

Day 2: Pacific; Bandon

Day 3: OM; Bandon

Day 4: Pacific; Trails

Day 5: Pacific and then fly home on the red eye back to NJ and life.

I’m skeptical about my second Bandon round. They’ve got a tournament booked for my last three days and she was surprised to find an afternoon time unblocked, but it’s right at the cutoff for guaranteed time. If it’s as slow as I’d imagine at the tail end of a day long tournament I can’t even imagine the pace. But since I couldn’t lock in a second Bandon round through the week I figured I should grab it and adjust as needed.

Preserve as reported is closed for February and she said it could spill into my visit (March 6-11).

As I think a little more about the weather I wonder if I’ll regret playing Pacific very early each day, when it’s bound to be coldest. Not sure I’ve mentally accepted just how miserable the weather might be. Even if it’s best case in early March I’m sure 730 will be barely 40, right? No worries, just need to get in the right mindset.

Man it gets my blood flowing reading Bandon post. It’s been about 3 years since my last solo trip. I live in central California so I drove the 9 hrs up. Played bandon crossings when I arrived, fun course to play and knock the rust off. An added plus they have carts. Stayed in town first night and got to the resort early morning. I also didn’t book my second rounds and had no problem getting on.

Playing as a single frees you up to play it by ear.

Took my clicgear with me and never had a caddy. But would tip if caddy offered info.

I also recommend reading Dream Golf. Every one who plays should read about the making of bandon.

Thanks, Tokeyb. Really appreciate it.

So I just booked and set up my lineup. Seems like this has gone 0-60 in the blink of an eye. Got a King Golf room at the Inn. Asked to stay on a waiting list in case anything cheaper opens (unlikely since inside a month). 220 isnt terrible though.

Travel day: arrive PDX at noon. Shortys if time; will get a cheap motel.

Day 1: OM; Trails

Day 2: Pacific; Bandon

Day 3: OM; Bandon

Day 4: Pacific; Trails

Day 5: Pacific and then fly home on the red eye back to NJ and life.

Im skeptical about my second Bandon round. Theyve got a tournament booked for my last three days and she was surprised to find an afternoon time unblocked, but its right at the cutoff for guaranteed time. If its as slow as Id imagine at the tail end of a day long tournament I cant even imagine the pace. But since I couldnt lock in a second Bandon round through the week I figured I should grab it and adjust as needed.

Preserve as reported is closed for February and she said it could spill into my visit (March 6-11).

As I think a little more about the weather I wonder if Ill regret playing Pacific very early each day, when its bound to be coldest. Not sure Ive mentally accepted just how miserable the weather might be. Even if its best case in early March Im sure 730 will be barely 40, right? No worries, just need to get in the right mindset.

That’s a good lineup. Don’t sweat the second Bandon round. Even if you don’t finish, being on 16 at sunset is about as good as life gets.

If you’re worried about temps in the morning it isn’t too bad since you’re walking around. I’ve had good luck with a thin base layer (I use adidas because it’s flexible but there’s lots of options), a golf shirt, and my goretex rain top, which also works pretty well as a windbreaker. There’s stocking caps at the pro shops, good souvenirs.

Bring some foot care stuff (or stop at a Walmart or something on the drive down) such as blister care things like Nexcare or moleskin and some gold bond aloe lotion. It’s a lot of walking.

Don’t worry about looking at pictures and reading other trip reports, it won’t diminish the experience at all.

guys had answered and covered most of the points for your trip.

Just a word of caution, don't be rushing to the practice tee and hit buckets of practice balls after sitting down all day in the cramped airline seat and drive to the golf course. In other words, take care of your back , also watch out when lifting luggage and golf bag off the luggage carousel and onto the rental car..... one of the guy I know injured his back when he arrived at his golf destination, and that basically ruined his golf trip.

A nice massage and relaxed night on your arrival day will go a long way for the ret of the visit. I know, it's like going to an all you can eat buffet , hard to restrain on the volume. More quantity often times does not equal to more enjoyment.

And, I agree with these guys, be nice to your wife. Personally, I, could not go on an all guys ( solo ) trip without my family. Enjoy the trip.

A side note, check with your local PGA association or golf clubs. Many of them will have trips to the other side of the pond and they will gladly take on a non-member if they have room to fill. Of course it'll be members first but sometimes they'll have room to take on a non-member on these trips.

Rain gear is top of my list at the moment. I’ve got a ZR jacket that’s good but not great fitting. The pants have always been too small in the seat and too long, plus I can’t find them. So my priority is pants (found a few threads with ideas for short fat guys). Will also inventory my tops. I’ve got a few base later UA long sleeves that are great in the cold. But I only have 2 so I need to get cracking. Also just ordered a few more pairs of the anti-blister socks I loved when I caddied.

If anyone has seen good deals on rain pants I’m on the prowl. I’ve wanted a nice rain top for a while and might splurge on that. My issue is I hate playing in long sleeves but I think a short sleeve FJ jacket for instance would defeat the purpose.

If they're too long, I'd try rolling them up (but to the inside) and then clipping them with a small binder clip. I know, kinda janky, but if it works........I'd rather have them too long than short, depending on how they ride up when stepping up, bending over, etc.....

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

Depending on when you're going through Eugene, you could hit Fiddler's Green on the way down. You will not find better deals.

When I went down in December, they had Adidas Gore Tex jackets for $129.

Hadn’t even thought of this. I’ll be going through Eugene around 230. Might be a chance to break up the trip and see if I find anything. I take it this is a well reviewed shop? Anything else similar along the way from PDX?

Tell me if I'm a complete nutjob. I'm 3+ weeks from my first trip and I just got the saddest feeling as I read another trip report mentioning it was his last night. I'm sad it's practically over before I even arrived!!!!

Not weird at all. Just wait till you're back at work the week after. Talk about being bummed out.

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

Depending on when you're going through Eugene, you could hit Fiddler's Green on the way down. You will not find better deals.

When I went down in December, they had Adidas Gore Tex jackets for $129.

Hadn't even thought of this. I'll be going through Eugene around 230. Might be a chance to break up the trip and see if I find anything. I take it this is a well reviewed shop? Anything else similar along the way from PDX?

It's a great way to break the drive in two. In addition to a huge retail shop, they have a driving range and par 3 course (no guarantees on how soggy it might be) if you want to work out the kinks from driving the boring part (I-205/I-5 from PDX). You can then decide if you want to head over to the coast from Eugene, then down 101 to Bandon or head back to I-5 and cross over through Elkton. It's basically a push, time-wise. 101 is pretty scenic from Florence to Reedsport. From there to Bandon it's inland and not as scenic. Hwy 38 through Drain and Elkton is gorgeous. You'll see elk herds, too.

Stop in Coos Bay at the Sharkbite Cafe for dinner (my latest find on my last trip and the only reason I have ever found to stop in Coos Bay).

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Risky, I know. But my shoe situation is bad, especially waterproof. I’ve got three weeks to break these in. The hybrids I’ll wear a few times on the gym treadmill and hope o don’t break my neck. The cleated pair I’ll try to get in a round or two before I go.

Also refreshed my sock stash with a few new pairs of Balegas. Def worth the money, I learned when I was caddying. Still need some base layer stuff. Found a bunch of shirts on Amazon for $10-15 but I’m skeptical.

With 3 weeks to go I know I don’t have time to get into proper golf shape after laying around since October. But I think I can avoid a total disaster by using the gym treadmill, especially on an incline. Also think I should start with the Orange Whip daily and get to the range a few times. Need to balance some activity without risking a stupid injury or tendinitis or something nagging.

Risky, I know. But my shoe situation is bad, especially waterproof. I've got three weeks to break these in. The hybrids I'll wear a few times on the gym treadmill and hope o don't break my neck. The cleated pair I'll try to get in a round or two before I go.

Also refreshed my sock stash with a few new pairs of Balegas. Def worth the money, I learned when I was caddying. Still need some base layer stuff. Found a bunch of shirts on Amazon for $10-15 but I'm skeptical.

With 3 weeks to go I know I don't have time to get into proper golf shape after laying around since October. But I think I can avoid a total disaster by using the gym treadmill, especially on an incline. Also think I should start with the Orange Whip daily and get to the range a few times. Need to balance some activity without risking a stupid injury or tendinitis or something nagging.

Quick tip on your socks. I always where long socks when going to Bandon. I find that the low-cut or no show socks leave just the slightest gap when walking and my ankles/leg get really cold. Years ago, I got a few pairs of compression socks that run up my calf and those have also helped with some soreness, especially when playing 36.

I also recommend a snood. Keeping my neck and ears covered when the wind is blowing helps keep my warm.

We are flying into Portland from PLEASE STOP SNOWING/GET ABOVE 0*F GREEN BAY on March 2nd around 5pm. First round isn't until Sunday at 10:50. Looking for some recommendations on somewhere to stay a night on the way. Probably going to get as close to the resort as possible. Would like to get there fairly early Sunday to get our clubs and hit a few balls

I stay at Three Rivers Casino in Florence a good bit on the way down. There are a few other good hotels to just put your head down. Some good food in Florence and a little over an hour maybe an hour and a half to the resort. About 3-3 1/2 hrs from Portland. For me about the perfect distance to keep the back from getting tight on the drive.