2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Got the green light at home - Bandon first timer, going solo

philsRHman

Gotcha, thanks for all the quick responses. Here's another one, considering what site we're on I guess it's a legit queston: Do any of you guys pack a spare putter (just in case the primary is misbehaving) or a few extra clubs (like both long irons and hybrids and swap out based on weather and conditions)?

I was looking at my bag of putters last night and I have my all-time favorite Palmer Original (first new club I ever owned, given to me by my grandparents 25-30 years ago) even though I very rarely carry it anymore. I feel like if I don't bring it, it's like taking the bucket list trip without a best friend. Note that I don't have similar feelings for any humans.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say don’t over think it too much. Be able to hit some lower shots and bump and runs but other than that it’s not too different. Only thing is when you get there, practice long putts. As in putts clear across the green. You will have them and getting used to putting that far through undulation is big.

Use the putter you most comfortable with from 20 to 50 yds. The most crucial "bandon specific shot" is putting from long distances OFF the green. Generally speaking, and usually, for first-timers, you don't chip at Bandon if you don't have to. And don't try to be a hero and think you are the exception.

I played with a guy my first trip who was a mid-single digit handicap player who blew up a round on Bandon Dunes trying to prove to his caddie that he could chip...skull, shanks, and chunks. He chewed up enough sod to cover your average American front yard.

I was just looking at Bandon's blog and the write up of shorty's. I was surprised to see that the holes have a lot more length than I expected. What's the difference between Shorty's and the Preserve (other than 4 more holes). Seems like on paper the two would scratch the same itch.

If The Preserve were $20 a pop it might be the coolest thing on the property. It is way overpriced and in my opinion, the only thing that the resort "gets wrong" in their whole operation. I have played it twice and would love to play it each visit, but I am just not going to fork out the cash when you can play the big boy courses for equal price or so.

I think you can play Shorty's even if the South range is open, but only the first few holes. Well worth the effort to practice the short game under Bandon conditions.

Funny, I recognized your name from the Masters trip. Remember reading it at the time and can't believe it's been two years already!

I'll just add to the chorus. Play each twice if you can. It would be a shame to play OM only once IMO.

Also, the socks comment is bang on. I only had ankle socks and with all the walking, my shoes started cutting up the back of my ankles when normally at home they wouldn't.

Lastly, when you post your trip report you can never have too many pics.

Enjoy! I think I'm going to do a singles trip in April =)

Tsi3 7.25* Velocore Black 6x

Tsi3 16.5* Tensei Raw White 75x

TM P770 3i Velocore Black HB 9x

Mizuno YORO MP5 4-PW - Modus 120x

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

phils, I would also consider doing some light stretching everyday. what ever you feel your body needs. i'll add that wide knee squats are awesome for your glutes and opening your hips (yes, glute activation is real, thanks Tiger!), but be careful and move slowly. it would be awful to strain something or worse yet, throw out your back due to being overly tight, especially with all the travel.

Great advice. The gym here at work (where I've only been like 4x in two years) has a cage-looking contraption with lots of stretches on a board. I plan that, especially since I've got very very tight hamstrings, lower back and hips. I will probably gain more from daily stretches than working out, but if I'm down there, might as well hit the treadmill too LOL. I'm also trying to figure out if I can fit my foam roller into my luggage. I know they have some on site but I love using it last thing before bed and first thing on mornings I'm playing.

Another option would be to pack one of those roller balls, about the size of a grapefruit. Some have holes and removable rods to help with leverage and rolling. They work great on calves and hips/flexors/glutes, and okay on the lower back. Regardless, if you don't have one in your house, they're a great addition.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Bandon trips are the closest to feeling like a kid on his way to Disneyland, or Christmas morning, or your first time......................okay, maybe not. hahahaha.

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

I have to say, I'm happy the weather looks pretty crap Sat, mixed Sun, and chilly Mon - or all this Bandon talk would have me gassing up the car and checking about open slots for the long weekend :)

i actually just did the same thing duff.

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

If I'm like this, absolutely and completely consumed with 3 weeks to go, what am I going to be like the last few days?

Funny, I'm headed from southern Oregon to Scotland about the same time you'll be here. Maybe a week earlier, March 1st, I leave. I have intentionally not let myself stay on Google and YouTube and fuss about it. I planned it all in a matter of a couple of days, and now I'm actually going to have to go back a few days before the trip and remind myself of the itinerary.

The whole experience at Bandon is very understated. I 100% think the best way to really soak it in is not to build it up too much. Read "Deam Golf." If you want to obsess. Read it again. Rather than delve too deep into your gear, your plans, your clubs, your schedule, just read the book.

What's the bother in bringing a couple of putters, a high bounce wedge, etc.? Why not? I do it every time pretty much. If the weather is clearly going to be horrible, windy, wet, hail, etc. then I also dump clubs. I take D, 3W, 3H, 5H, 7i, 9i, GW, 56 and a Putter on a lot of rounds. Makes me feel fresh in the evenings like I was out on a walk, not moving furniture all day.

My Pro Tip (outside of the ones I already gave :) ) = get off the resort, but not to go to town. Go to the beach. Regardless of the weather. Sure, you can see the waves crashing from a lot of places on the property, but the power of the Pacific, the wind the sounds, the smells, the sea birds (including some huge bald eagles) - go take a stroll on the beach. Watch the sunset. Get away from the bars, the golfers, the talk about what you shot, what you didn't shoot... go take in the power of the location. I don't know what the status of the beach access at the Sheep's Ranch is at this point. I'd guess they have to keep it open even with the construction. That's my favorite access, but there are others.

phils, I would also consider doing some light stretching everyday. what ever you feel your body needs. i'll add that wide knee squats are awesome for your glutes and opening your hips (yes, glute activation is real, thanks Tiger!), but be careful and move slowly. it would be awful to strain something or worse yet, throw out your back due to being overly tight, especially with all the travel.

Great advice. The gym here at work (where I've only been like 4x in two years) has a cage-looking contraption with lots of stretches on a board. I plan that, especially since I've got very very tight hamstrings, lower back and hips. I will probably gain more from daily stretches than working out, but if I'm down there, might as well hit the treadmill too LOL. I'm also trying to figure out if I can fit my foam roller into my luggage. I know they have some on site but I love using it last thing before bed and first thing on mornings I'm playing.

Another option would be to pack one of those roller balls, about the size of a grapefruit. Some have holes and removable rods to help with leverage and rolling. They work great on calves and hips/flexors/glutes, and okay on the lower back. Regardless, if you don't have one in your house, they're a great addition.

There is a small fitness center in the Lodge basement, and I think they have some foam rollers there. Call the front desk and confirm.

I also bring a small massage roller-ball, about the size of a baseball, and that works nicely on the quads and calves after dinner in my room.

Don't forget about the jacuzzi and sauna as well. Personally, they are non-omittable amenities.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

^I'd just stop in at Target or something on the way down and buy one for $20 and just consider it an incidental cost, for a roller.

I don't use one, so I wouldn't miss one, but I can see if folks have their helpful ready for play routines.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I have to say, I'm happy the weather looks pretty crap Sat, mixed Sun, and chilly Mon - or all this Bandon talk would have me gassing up the car and checking about open slots for the long weekend :)

i actually just did the same thing duff.

I actually called them up tonight - seeing as Sun/Mon don't look bad - but they didn't have any spots available at 8:30 or earlier Sun/Mon to try and do 36 days, so fortunately they are saving me from myself.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I was just looking at Bandon's blog and the write up of shorty's. I was surprised to see that the holes have a lot more length than I expected. What's the difference between Shorty's and the Preserve (other than 4 more holes). Seems like on paper the two would scratch the same itch.

If The Preserve were $20 a pop it might be the coolest thing on the property. It is way overpriced and in my opinion, the only thing that the resort "gets wrong" in their whole operation. I have played it twice and would love to play it each visit, but I am just not going to fork out the cash when you can play the big boy courses for equal price or so.

I think you can play Shorty's even if the South range is open, but only the first few holes. Well worth the effort to practice the short game under Bandon conditions.

Agreed 1000% on this. I paid $100 to play the Preserve once and it was the last time I paid to play it. It's very nice but it's not worth anywhere near $100 to me. I guess at least the money goes to a good cause. Since then I've only ever played it as the free 3rd round of the day, but even then I would usually rather play 9 at Bandon Dunes, unless my legs are really tired.

For the first time I’m feeling self doubt. I went to the range last night for the first time in a few month. Full swing was good. Started playing with knockdown shots. Used to have that shot. Now it appears to be the shank machine. One after another. Maybe too far back in the stance. Not sure. Will keep at it.

More disturbing is how poorly my hands reacted to coming off the lay-off. Left hand blistered terribly. Good because I’d rather it here with 2.5 weeks left than day 1. Also reminder to pick up tape for my bag. But I’m also so sorenthis morning after 40 min of hitting balls. Can’t imagine how I’ll feel after multiple days of 36 holes.

Careful. Don't overdo it now and tweak something that won't heal completely by the trip date. Remember that a round's worth of swings is different than the same number on the range. You have recovery time between swings on the course, whereas the range is rapid-fire.

One thing to stress is that you don't need to change much (if anything) about your game for Bandon. Sure, lies are tight and the greens vast, but it's just golf. You're a single digit. Relax and play your game. Adjust as needed.

Lucky for me the weather has turned around. Nice and sunny with a few sprinkles here and there. Next two days will be even better.

BTW, greens on Pacific are almost completely poa. I couldn’t adjust to the speed. Left everything short for most on the front.

Two weeks from tomorrow and the big news is that I just spent the weekend with back spasms so bad I didn't think I'd make it to my office job today. Absolutely no way I could swing a club today. I've been trying everything: Stretching (hamstrings, hips, groin, quads); foam roller; massage; ice; heat; advil; aleve, biofreeze. At this point I've gotten past the alternating throbbing/stabbing pain in the tailbone. But still can't lean forward, lift my midsection from a laying down position, or twist even a little bit.

I hit balls Friday night and was a normal amount of sore Saturday. But spent 7 hours at a movie marathon Saturday in what I thought was a comfortable recliner. But driving home that night it really tightened up and Sunday-Monday was agony. I'm sure it will relent in the next couple days.

But here's a question I hope I don't need to answer -- What do they do if someone really hurts themselves on the first day of a trip? I know that the afternoon rounds can be cancelled, but what do they do for a morning round? Do you eat the cost? Even if not an injury, if you're just dead tired, or if the weather is crap?

I'm sure you can search around the resort's website and get a few answers that are "black and white." I can tell you anecdotally what I have experienced. Years past the resort always had a "hush hush" policy about cancellations. The official stance was that there absolutely are NO REFUNDS for weather. I can understand this stance as each golfer has their own definition of what is enjoyable and they would lose a bunch of revenue if they simply refunded greens fees every time a guy doesn't want to play. Typically, it does not get very cold on the coast and they will not issue refunds for rain. The expectation is that cups are moved to high positions and that you play on even if there is standing water on the greens. My actual experience has been that the resort will issue a voucher for another round if you have played in heavy rain during your stay and it is going to continue into your last day. I think they do this in part to insure you will return or use the credit to buy merchandise before you depart.

My intuition is that they answer a million questions about weather, and they want to create the clear impression that this is links golf, wind, rain, cold temperatures in the spring, fall, and winter are simply part of the experience. I have been there when it snows and they will issue vouchers. I have been there when multiple days had standing water on the greens (they drain very well, so even after days and days of rain lighter precipitation will not create standing water) and if on your last day the forecast calls for heavy rains during your round they will issue a voucher.

I have never had a member of my party become injured, but my guess based on their cart policy is that if it's serious enough to warrant a doctor's visit then they will issue a voucher, not a refund.

My advice would be to worry less about the trip and more about finding a solution to your back pain. I strongly encourage a heavy dose of muscle relaxers until the spasms relent and then chiropractic adjustment, massage, and knowing your limits with practice and play getting ready for your trip. I would get on it immediately and try and create a baseline for how much you can exert yourself on the trip. I would not in a million years try and play 36, I would 100% invest in a caddie for your rounds, and if you're going to go at it alone I would play with 9 clubs and carry with an ultralight stand bag. Just my $.02

Two weeks from tomorrow and the big news is that I just spent the weekend with back spasms so bad I didn't think I'd make it to my office job today. Absolutely no way I could swing a club today. I've been trying everything: Stretching (hamstrings, hips, groin, quads); foam roller; massage; ice; heat; advil; aleve, biofreeze. At this point I've gotten past the alternating throbbing/stabbing pain in the tailbone. But still can't lean forward, lift my midsection from a laying down position, or twist even a little bit.

I hit balls Friday night and was a normal amount of sore Saturday. But spent 7 hours at a movie marathon Saturday in what I thought was a comfortable recliner. But driving home that night it really tightened up and Sunday-Monday was agony. I'm sure it will relent in the next couple days.

But here's a question I hope I don't need to answer -- What do they do if someone really hurts themselves on the first day of a trip? I know that the afternoon rounds can be cancelled, but what do they do for a morning round? Do you eat the cost? Even if not an injury, if you're just dead tired, or if the weather is crap?

The only thing you should have been charged for at this point is your first round on one of the big 4 and your first night's stay. If you get there and play your first round and can't go any further, they should let you off the hook with no additional charge. In the event they don't and raincheck you, feel free to DM me. I'll be down there this Oct and I'll take the raincheck off your hands (full price, not trying to stiff you). They take care of their guests so well I really doubt it would come to that, but I imagine spud, duffer, buzlin- those guys would know for certain.

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

The only thing you should have been charged for at this point is your first round on one of the big 4 and your first night's stay. If you get there and play your first round and can't go any further, they should let you off the hook with no additional charge. In the event they don't and raincheck you, feel free to DM me. I'll be down there this Oct and I'll take the raincheck off your hands (full price, not trying to stiff you). They take care of their guests so well I really doubt it would come to that, but I imagine spud, duffer, buzlin- those guys would know for certain.

In my experience they will charge you. I was there in April of 2018 and a guy with us had some knee trouble on the last two days. He had to pay the full price of the rounds, but was given a gift card for that value. He could use the gift card for golf at a later date or for shop merchandise, but he had to fork over the amount he owed at that time even though he was injured and had already walked/played 90 holes on property. We ended up buying stuff in the shops and paying him cash so it wasn't a big deal, but they would not allow him out of it even for injury. However, I have no idea if there are other circumstances that allow you to get around it.

I've never had to make use of the refund/cancellation/raincheck process, so I'm not a lot of help here. I would say that Matt is probably spot on in his estimations - every dealing I've had with the folks at the resort has been uber-positive (with the exception of the Solstice event signup this year, but that was a unique circumstance which I will allow for), with the resort doing everything they can to be fair and accommodating.

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I would worry about your own status, especially since you'll be in a plane for a number of hours followed by another long trip in a car. Both of those are going to be similar situations to the movie marathon you just experienced, so I'd be really careful to avoid staying in one place for the durations of those trips. Move around the plane a lot, make a lot of stops on the drive, do a lot of gentle stretching, maybe some preventive meds.

There is a massage center at the resort, might be a good idea to take advantage of that. Definitely take advantage of the sauna and hot tub. It's not really an option for me anymore. Also re-read Matt's last paragraph above - there's lots of good advice there about caddies and bag size. The fatigue will accumulate (especially if the weather is heavy), and small things that you do during each round will help tremendously by the end of the week.

Take the same care on the return drive/flight as you did on the way out, lest you end up in a fetal position for a few days after you return.

I've never had to make use of the refund/cancellation/raincheck process, so I'm not a lot of help here. I would say that Matt is probably spot on in his estimations - every dealing I've had with the folks at the resort has been uber-positive (with the exception of the Solstice event signup this year, but that was a unique circumstance which I will allow for), with the resort doing everything they can to be fair and accommodating.

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I would worry about your own status, especially since you'll be in a plane for a number of hours followed by another long trip in a car. Both of those are going to be similar situations to the movie marathon you just experienced, so I'd be really careful to avoid staying in one place for the durations of those trips. Move around the plane a lot, make a lot of stops on the drive, do a lot of gentle stretching, maybe some preventive meds.

There is a massage center at the resort, might be a good idea to take advantage of that. Definitely take advantage of the sauna and hot tub. It's not really an option for me anymore. Also re-read Matt's last paragraph above - there's lots of good advice there about caddies and bag size. The fatigue will accumulate (especially if the weather is heavy), and small things that you do during each round will help tremendously by the end of the week.

Take the same care on the return drive/flight as you did on the way out, lest you end up in a fetal position for a few days after you return.

You hit the nail on the head, I'm most concerned about the flight and drive. To be honest, I've thought the past few days that I might want to back down a bit on the 9 rounds in 5 days plan. This might just be the thing that helps me do just that.

My understanding is that you're on the hook for the cost of all lodging and the first round of each day. If you cancel, those funds can then be used anyway you'd like at the resort, whether it be rescheduled rounds or what ever. I don't know if there is an expiration. Regardless, I'd give them a call to confirm.

Rest rest rest. Sorry man. Sucks.

G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M

I'm confident I'll be fine. Thankfully this is 2.5 weeks prior to leaving. I'd be apoplectic if I was leaving tomorrow. But at this point it pretty much assures that I'll be heading out there without any practice, which is fine. Not going out to break the course record or anything. Hell, if I'm too wiped out, maybe I can just walk the courses in the afternoon (unless that would be considered a liability).

I feel like I'm now oversharing, but my wife is sick of hearing about the trip, so I'm going to use this as a journal and hope it's not too boring. Two weeks from today, to the hour, I'll be a minutes from teeing off at Old Mac.

Back is feeling better, loosening and improving each day. Still probably couldn't swing a club but the searing/stabbing pain is gone. Now it's more of a dull ache with certain moves. Last night was the first time I could twist/rotate more than 10-20%. Still not 100 but getting there.

Maybe the silver lining is all the stretching and foam rolling. My hips, shoulders, hamstrings, everything feels great, and I'll chalk it up to the work I'm doing to ease the back.

On the packing front, I dug out an old ZR rain suit. The pants are being hemmed. Remembered that the jack is so puffy that it's hard to play in. BUT! I found a Sun Ice jacket buried in the closet and much to my delight I see that it's Gore Tex (I'd gotten it for $40 on TGW years ago, somehow I still had the shipping in my email to check the model). So glad, because I'm was itching to order a Pro Quip suit after reading 14 pages of the "Best Rain Gear" thread.

My first days are now showing up on the 15-day forecast, and despite warnings not to, I can't help but get a little giddy that's showing temps in the mid 50s.

I'm two-thirds of the way through Dream Golf. That will keep fill some gaps. Still very excited but backing down a bit on the research out of fear I burn myself out over the next two weeks.

I feel like I'm now oversharing, but my wife is sick of hearing about the trip, so I'm going to use this as a journal and hope it's not too boring. Two weeks from today, to the hour, I'll be a minutes from teeing off at Old Mac.

Back is feeling better, loosening and improving each day. Still probably couldn't swing a club but the searing/stabbing pain is gone. Now it's more of a dull ache with certain moves. Last night was the first time I could twist/rotate more than 10-20%. Still not 100 but getting there.

Maybe the silver lining is all the stretching and foam rolling. My hips, shoulders, hamstrings, everything feels great, and I'll chalk it up to the work I'm doing to ease the back.

On the packing front, I dug out an old ZR rain suit. The pants are being hemmed. Remembered that the jack is so puffy that it's hard to play in. BUT! I found a Sun Ice jacket buried in the closet and much to my delight I see that it's Gore Tex (I'd gotten it for $40 on TGW years ago, somehow I still had the shipping in my email to check the model). So glad, because I'm was itching to order a Pro Quip suit after reading 14 pages of the "Best Rain Gear" thread.

My first days are now showing up on the 15-day forecast, and despite warnings not to, I can't help but get a little giddy that's showing temps in the mid 50s.

I'm two-thirds of the way through Dream Golf. That will keep fill some gaps. Still very excited but backing down a bit on the research out of fear I burn myself out over the next two weeks.

DON'T SLOW DOWN!!!! I mean this with all sincerity, Bandon will not disappoint you. Everything you read on here, or in Dream Golf will not ruin the experience that you will have. The weather will have no bearing on that experience either. I know it can be hard to believe, or maybe it's hard to believe that it can really be that good. Trust me it will be better than you could possibly imagine. I have had so many people tell me that it was the greatest golf experience of their lives. I'm confident that it will exceed any expectations that you may have for it.

I am with you. So much research! It is so close for me. Shipped my clubs out today.