Got the green light at home - Bandon first timer, going solo

philsRHman

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love it. How was the drive down?

Spectacular. I felt great getting off the plane. Got my car and it was snowing. Surreal. But not sticking, no biggie.

Decided I was too close to dark and wanted to take my time so I routed to Fiddlers Green, and stopped at the Dutch Bros down the street for coffee on the recommendation here. Totally awesome. Not what I expected at all, it’s just a PhotoMat style drive up in a parking lot. Joked that it was my first time and asked if there’s anything special to try. They gave me my coffee on the house as a first timer. She seemed genuinely surprised I dropped a few bucks in the tip box. Fiddlers was great just to stretch the legs. Some great prices on apparel but I’d just stocked up at home so didn’t buy anything.

The drive after Fiddlers (btw, when I got off the first big highway into farm land I thought I’d made a big mistake) was the fastest most beautiful and engaging 3 hour drive of my life. The different landscapes were amazing. Still a lot of snow in spots. I’d guess that’s the road that was closed because I could see some areas where trees had slid right down onto the road. Lots of cut trees and damage.

Started regretting the stops when I got within 30 min and it was still barely light. Decided to check out the resort just to see it and see what’s on tap tomorrow. There were a few other people at the putting green so I figured what the hell and hit a few putts.

I’m staying tonight down in Bandon (60 bucks vs 220). The motel called to see when I was checking in and I said I would come and then grab dinner. She warned me I better eat because places would start closing around 8. I went to Edgewaters since the Crab Shack had closed. I didn’t have hugely high hopes but my god was it good. I live at the Jersey Shore, so I’m very snooty about seafood. But I had a tomato seafood stew that was phenomenal- shrimp, clams, mussels, scallops, halibut and a broth that was incredible. Perfect dinner after a long day of travel.

Settled in now, broke out the foam roller. Now I’m icing down a few hot spots. Four advil and two bottles of water. Listening the NLU Bandon podcasts. Spent most of the drive with various Bandon podcasts I’d curated before the trip.

Old Mac at 740. Can’t wait.

This post made me realize how much I take for granted where we live. Oregon is an absolutely beautiful piece of our country that gets overlooked. Especially that drive.

Yup. After spending 27 months in the wasteland that is Texas - in which I took multiple trips to Bandon - I was much more giddy about being there than I otherwise was, being someone from and typically living on the coast or near things of interest geographically and/or culturally.

The PNW is ace :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Played 36 today. Old Mac and Trails. I’ve absolutely dead. Entire body hurts. Phone says 33k steps and 15 miles today. Calves hurt. Big toe throbbing. Icing everything. Seriously thinking of cutting back to 18 tomorrow but we shall see.

Will write more but quick takes:

Old Mac was awesome; so much fun. Poured for 15 minutes but mostly nice. Realized that 45 degrees can feel like 20 or 65 all in the same day.

Trails was 3 birdies in first five holes and still shot 85 because I just lost it on the back 9, body was shot. Absolutely beautiful layout. Want another crack and play more strategically off the tee. Mistake was taking a million drivers today.

Meatloaf was way overrated. Reminded me of a hungryman salsbury steak. Had OM chowder for breakfast (figured 930 here is 1230 at home so it was ok). Was the best thing I ate all day. Also had chili at Trails between rounds. Solid, not great.

Right now I’m staring at a bottle of scotch thinking it’s either exactly what I need, or the dumbest idea of my life.

Well don’t drink the whole bottle :). You don’t have to play 36. Most here are big proponents of taking out 1/2 bags for your 2nd 18 or don’t be afraid to get a caddie just to alleviate some of the wear and tear on your body.

Where is your 2nd round tomorrow. Both Bandon and Pacific have some kind of mini loops that are fun and give you extra holes with a whole 36 and Bandon is the only one where 9 is routed back to the clubhouse, just an fyi.

What has happened to the meatloaf, it used to be SOOO good.

Props on the running blog. I'm sitting in the AirBnB in St. Andrews a bit nostalgic about Bandon Trails.

If we played a best ball on my last outing to Trails we'd probably been level par. Eaten up by the first 4 and then 1 or 2 over through the rest.

I like the honesty about the resort food, and that Cioppino sounded delicious. Take care of yourself, but a drink or two won't hurt too bad. :)

This post made me realize how much I take for granted where we live. Oregon is an absolutely beautiful piece of our country that gets overlooked. Especially that drive.

This is so true. We totally take it for granted.

On an unrelated note from another post, I also agree the meatloaf was a disappointment. The bloody mary's, however, are fabulous.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

Side note, one of the asst superintendents I work with went to Rutgers for turf school. When he got there no one could or would pronounce Oregon correctly. He says the 2 best questions he got were “do you guys have the internet out there?” and “do you have real houses or does everyone just live in cabins?”

Talking about how beautiful Oregon is made me think of that.

Wasn’t easy getting out of bed this morning. My body hurt from head to toe. Scrapped the warm up at the range. Didn’t even have time to get breakfast. Pacific in the morning. Bandon in the afternoon.

Pacific just blew me away. Every possible superlative. I was grabbing my camera time and time again. Just loved every moment of it. Guy in my group slam dunked on on 11 — first hole in one I’ve witnessed. It was awesome. We heard the clank and it vanished. I remembered I’d loaded my flask and even at 930 am it seems like the perfect occasion so we each had a chug. Since I’d slept in and didn’t have time for breakfast, whiskey probably wasn’t the brightest idea but it was so awesome.

Felt tired as I finished and told my caddie I was on the fence. He suggested I eat lunch and then decide. So I had the INCREDIBLE grilled cheese and the equally amazing seafood chowder. More importantly I drank about 15 glasses of water and that brought me back to life.

I also had an hour longer than expected so that helped rev me back up and I headed to Bandon for the afternoon. Liked the idea of being able to quit after 9 but didn’t love the idea of a $175 9 holes (replay plus caddie). But these two walks were so much easier so never a thought of quitting even thought it started pouring as we finished the front. Instead of being gassed on 6 or 7, I was good until 14ish. But still steered it around and played the last 5 holes 1 over. Maybe it helped that as the rain came down I turned back to the whiskey and that seemed to soothe my ills.

I think this is because I played Pac first but BD felt like a tamer, more benign version. Enjoyed it and really liked the layout but it felt a little like going from a Ferrari to a Mercedes. Still a Mercedes, but not a Ferrari. We got poured on for 45 minutes but it was honestly fun. 35 mph gusts added an element of excitement.

McKees for the fish and chips I saw a guy eat last night. Fish was quite good. But the fries were pretty soggy once they sat for a few minutes. So far I’d say dinner at McKees both nights has been by far the most disappointing food I’ve had. Anything out of a pot (stews, chowders, chili) have been excellent. That grilled cheese was off the charts.

Realized tonight how much I liked Old Mac. I thought I was playing Trails in the morning and Bandon in the afternoon. Decided I would cut back to one round. But when I tried to slide my morning time back theybsaid I was actually on Old Mac and I lit up. Can not wait to get back out there. I might even try to swap tomorrow’s afternoon at BD for a third go at OM.

Already depressed. Two days down. Remaining schedule: OM/BD; PD/BT; PD/fly home. Probably going to skip McKees and try Pacific for dinner tomorrow.

Really enjoying reading your blog..makes me think I need another trip to Bandon next year! That is a LOT of golf you are playing, tho!...last time I went, I played 18 a day, and then cooled down with a couple hours at Shorty's, the par 3 course near the range, before dinner. Pacific is such a gorgeous course! have fun the next few days!

Ping G410+ 9.0* driver, W/UST Elements Chrome 6R 
Cobra LTD 14.5* W/UST VTS Red 6R
Titleist 818H1 21* w/ UST VTS Silver 85HR
Titleist 818H1 23* w/UST VTS Silver 85HR
Mizuno JPX900 HM 5-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105 shafts
Bridgestone J15 wedges (50* /54*/58*)
Cure RX5 Putter 35"

Waved the white flag today. Only played 18. Felt awful during the night. I think I was badly dehydrated. Woke up and the room was spinning (a swear I didn’t go hard enough on the booze to cause that) and while taking a leak it felt like I was trying to stand on a boat.

Never got loose but bunted it around OM for 81. Really enjoyed it again and bummed I just couldn’t get my swing together. I have a feeling that’s going to be the course I want to come back for most.

Bailed on BD in the afternoon which means I’ll only play it once this trip. Was nice to relax a bit. Had a great lunch at Trails, a charred pulled pork sandwich with some kind of spicy slaw and pineapple. Also had an 80-min massage and spent the most of it on the hips and lower back. I’m a goddamn mess if you haven’t gotten that impression yet.

A little shopping, got my son a shirt and coloring book. Some cozy socks for the wife (not many option). Spent 30 min at shortys but it was crowded so I just played a few balls on the first two holes trying to figure out the 8 iron bump and run. Went over to the punchbowl but it was jammed and a little overwhelming. Definitely the first time I felt isolated and alone on the trip, and way too introverted to try making friends.

Yesterday I mentioned to caddie services I might want to see the courses through the eyes of another caddie. I didn’t say so definitively but that swapped in another guy today. I really really missed my first caddie. New guy was awesome but by our fourth round we’d built a nice rapport and felt like having a friend. Kept wanting to refer to our first round today and couldn’t. I think I screwed up. They must keep you with a guy all week for a reason.

Pac and Trails tomorrow. Hope I’ve got it in me.

Hope you’ll continue to indulge me. Thanks for all the feedback, being able to share here let’s me feel like I’m not out here all alone.

Tonight I had one of the most special golf experiences of my life. I’ll get there.

First, the day. Frost delay of nearly 2 hours which let me off the hook for a second 18. It was nice to have time to stretch and loosen up at the range but I just played terribly. Shot 90 at Pacific (after 78 or 79 first time, can’t remember). Topping the ball. Flailing at drives. Couldn’t putt. Just awful. Not playing golf, was trying to keep the ball down in the wind, could not make a full swing. Bad day. Broke out the flask for the last 3 holes so at least that soothed some of the pain.

Lunch at Pacific, that awesome grilled cheese again. The punchbowl for about an hour. It was really fun. Around 5 I had enough and decided to take a ride to Old Mac to pick up a souvenir. Talked to the pro and mentioned my afternoon round was scrapped but how this course had captured my imagination like no other I’ve played. He told me they have a 5 hole loop if I wanted. I dropped half my clubs and figured it would be nice.

Had the course to myself and was able to play multiple balls around the greens, experimenting with different shots thst Old Mac just cries out for but that you can never do with a foursome. I had the entire front 9 to myself. Felt like the days 25 years ago as a teenager late in the evenings, alone and trying to figure this game out. My feet felt great. My swing was free and easy. Nothing hurt.

Got to 5 with an hour of daylight and saw I could play 6 and come right back on 10.

Got to 6 green and realized 7 green was the one perched over the pacific and the sun was setting. Had to get there. Worth it. Sat up on the edge of the green for a while, watching the waves break, thinking about life, about some really important people I’ve lost (including my dad, stepdad and the grandfather who got me into golf), but more than anything, I couldn’t stop thinking about how lucky i am in every possible way to be living the modest but imminently happy life I am.

Realized the sun was about to literally set. Played 8-9-10 in about 15 minutes and walked back along that path as darkness descended.

Really special, mystical evening. Among the most special rounds of golf in my life.

Hope youll continue to indulge me. Thanks for all the feedback, being able to share here lets me feel like Im not out here all alone.

Tonight I had one of the most special golf experiences of my life. Ill get there.

First, the day. Frost delay of nearly 2 hours which let me off the hook for a second 18. It was nice to have time to stretch and loosen up at the range but I just played terribly. Shot 90 at Pacific (after 78 or 79 first time, cant remember). Topping the ball. Flailing at drives. Couldnt putt. Just awful. Not playing golf, was trying to keep the ball down in the wind, could not make a full swing. Bad day. Broke out the flask for the last 3 holes so at least that soothed some of the pain.

Lunch at Pacific, that awesome grilled cheese again. The punchbowl for about an hour. It was really fun. Around 5 I had enough and decided to take a ride to Old Mac to pick up a souvenir. Talked to the pro and mentioned my afternoon round was scrapped but how this course had captured my imagination like no other Ive played. He told me they have a 5 hole loop if I wanted. I dropped half my clubs and figured it would be nice.

Had the course to myself and was able to play multiple balls around the greens, experimenting with different shots thst Old Mac just cries out for but that you can never do with a foursome. I had the entire front 9 to myself. Felt like the days 25 years ago as a teenager late in the evenings, alone and trying to figure this game out. My feet felt great. My swing was free and easy. Nothing hurt.

Got to 5 with an hour of daylight and saw I could play 6 and come right back on 10.

Got to 6 green and realized 7 green was the one perched over the pacific and the sun was setting. Had to get there. Worth it. Sat up on the edge of the green for a while, watching the waves break, thinking about life, about some really important people Ive lost (including my dad, stepdad and the grandfather who got me into golf), but more than anything, I couldnt stop thinking about how lucky i am in every possible way to be living the modest but imminently happy life I am.

Realized the sun was about to literally set. Played 8-9-10 in about 15 minutes and walked back along that path as darkness descended.

Really special, mystical evening. Among the most special rounds of golf in my life.

What a special way to end the day. Thanks for sharing, it’s great to hear about your first trip. I’ll be making my first one later this year. I’m following this as closely as I did your Master’s story as well. I figured I’d leave a comment so you know you have some interested people following you, even those of us that may not comment. Enjoy the trip!

Hope you'll continue to indulge me. Thanks for all the feedback, being able to share here let's me feel like I'm not out here all alone.

Tonight I had one of the most special golf experiences of my life. I'll get there.

First, the day. Frost delay of nearly 2 hours which let me off the hook for a second 18. It was nice to have time to stretch and loosen up at the range but I just played terribly. Shot 90 at Pacific (after 78 or 79 first time, can't remember). Topping the ball. Flailing at drives. Couldn't putt. Just awful. Not playing golf, was trying to keep the ball down in the wind, could not make a full swing. Bad day. Broke out the flask for the last 3 holes so at least that soothed some of the pain.

Lunch at Pacific, that awesome grilled cheese again. The punchbowl for about an hour. It was really fun. Around 5 I had enough and decided to take a ride to Old Mac to pick up a souvenir. Talked to the pro and mentioned my afternoon round was scrapped but how this course had captured my imagination like no other I've played. He told me they have a 5 hole loop if I wanted. I dropped half my clubs and figured it would be nice.

Got to 6 green and realized 7 green was the one perched over the pacific and the sun was setting. Had to get there. Worth it. Sat up on the edge of the green for a while, watching the waves break, thinking about life, about some really important people I've lost (including my dad, stepdad and the grandfather who got me into golf), but more than anything, I couldn't stop thinking about how lucky i am in every possible way to be living the modest but imminently happy life I am.

+1

Great spot for a sunset moment.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Always fun to look at it through someone else's eyes. I always figure that if a guy doesn't want to read it, he doesn't have to click on your thread.

It's amazing to me how once you let go of expectations you see so many amazing experiences, golf can certainly be mystical. Glad to hear the trip is recharging your spiritual batteries.

Yep, Bandon is full of those moments if you allow yourself to take a break from the incredible golf.

We sat on the bench behind 17 tee at Bandon after the sun had just set, broke out our flasks, and sat there till it was dark. Walking back to the clubhouse a halo had formed around the near full moon.

Bandon is more than golf.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

I was especially interested to read this, about going solo. I have my wife's blessing to go do this up right. I had been enthusiastic about the thread in Instruction section about a wrx group trip, but that is currently planned for 2021...It would have been fun (probably) but I am going either this or more likely next year. Maybe solo or maybe with one or two buddies.

The only thing I can compare how people talk about this is going to the Masters. I went last year and was blown away by how much I enjoyed it. Sometimes, what people say is really special is, in fact, really special.

I think playing each course 2x sounds great. 36/day for several days... whew. Gotta be ready for that.

philsRHman, is your trip completed? What are the things that really stood out to you?

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

It seems that it takes people a while to settle down and play good golf. Maybe your moment the night before helped? One caddie was saying most people play worse because of how good the courses are they want to play so well and try to hard. They show up thinking they are going to light it up instead of just approaching it like a round at home and soaking it in.