Jones Utility Rover Review

I was looking for an upgrade over my Titleist premium Sunday carry bag and purchased the new Jones Utility Rover. I played two rounds with it; here is a brief review.

Pros

* Very solid construction with excellent materials. The buckles and other hardware are a beautiful dark chromed/nickel steel, rather than plastic.

* Integrates a bunch of cool ideas - the built-in beverage holder, glove patch, and valuables pocket come to mind. The BlueTooth speaker pouch... I could live without, but found it useful to hold my cellphone and watch.

* It has more internal structure than the Titleist bag and doesn't slide/crumple when strapped on a cart. I walked my two rounds with it, but rode on a cart to the range/practice area.

* Straps are wide, have some internal structure, and well-padded on the exterior.

* Easily fits 14 clubs with no "grabbing".

Cons

* Not a true two-strap bag. Conceptually it is a one-strap bag, with a second strap glomed on as kind of an after thought. When you try to use the second strap, the bag gets into a super awkward and uncomfortable position.

* Nothing to keep the bag off the ground (e.g. mini-legs/nubs).

Overall, it's a really nice piece of kit. If you are looking for the single-strap Sunday bag, this is probably the best one out there. Personally, there is a 75% chance I go back to the Titleist bag. I prefer a proper two-strap system. I've tried a few single-strap bags (e.g. Mackenzie - an expensive experiment!) in the past and eventually got sick of them. Most of my rounds are played at Bethpage Black; that extra strap make a difference when hauling your clubs over hill and dale for 7500 yards. (I was not at Bethpage for the aforementioned two rounds, which is currently under a few inches of snow, haha.)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was looking for an upgrade over my Titleist premium Sunday carry bag and purchased the new Jones Utility Rover. I played two rounds with it; here is a brief review.   Pros * Very solid construction

I don't think so. I've never played in rain with mine to tell but it doesn't have that feel. There is the leather/vinyl pocket which does seem somewhat water resistant, but the rest of the bag would b

• 1 year later...

I couldn't find a definitive statement anywhere, is this bag waterproof? I play a lot of morning rounds in the dew.  My Ping Moonlite has the rubber belly which I have had ZERO problems with but I really like the extra cargo (especially the lined cooler pouch) of the Jones Utility Rover but was unsure of the material underneath and if there it'd be a good investment for someone who plays a lot in the mornings.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, npintooo12 said:

I couldn't find a definitive statement anywhere, is this bag waterproof? I play a lot of morning rounds in the dew.  My Ping Moonlite has the rubber belly which I have had ZERO problems with but I really like the extra cargo (especially the lined cooler pouch) of the Jones Utility Rover but was unsure of the material underneath and if there it'd be a good investment for someone who plays a lot in the mornings.

Thanks!

I don't think so. I've never played in rain with mine to tell but it doesn't have that feel. There is the leather/vinyl pocket which does seem somewhat water resistant, but the rest of the bag would be touching the ground as well.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

just switched to the black vinyl special edition bag so will find out soon, if you write them they will respond quickly. I ordered some trestle sticks from bubbawhips which are coming next week and am not sure how they will work but will find out. jones does have video on how to use the second strap but will definitely take some practice. I prefer single straps but double straps have their benefits. 

I’ve been using the Rover since it came out. It’s not waterproof but the vinyl apparel bottom pocket does a great job with dew. I carry a full set with no issues and love the pocket setup. There’s a larger thread somewhere on WRX.

Regarding straps, I replaced the Rover straps with a real 2 strap setup in matching grey color and it’s incredibly comfortable to carry. Sun Mountain, Burton etc sell straps separately that you can buy online. 
Just a great bag to carry If you can live without a stand

Edited by aiyyer