2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The hunt for the perfect 5 wood

keithrichards

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two main things that I looked for in my 5W was high/adjustable loft, aka a true 5W and the ability to add/remove weight. So I went with the '16 M1 19*. Comes standard .5 degree open so when I close it .5* (which adds even more loft) to me it looks square.

I then cut down the shaft to 41.5" (easy to swing) and added a 3rd weight to get the swing weight back to D3. Final report...perfect fit between my 3HL and my 4DI. High launch and soft landing.

SIM 10.5 | EXS Pro 18

Apex UW 21 | Pro Mini 24

T100 5-50 | 54.S 58.T

NP2 GSS

SrixonXV Divide

I have been a Ping Homer for decades, but the Rogues are just too easy to hit long and straight.

Ping G430 10.5, Ventus Red 60
TM 16.5 HL Wood,  Fuji Red TR 70
TM 7 wood,  Fuji Red TR 70

Ping G430  Hybrid # 22
PXG Gen 6 XP irons 5-GW with MMT 95 shafts

TM M4 54 & 58 Wedges

Odyssey Versa M5  Putter

This is silly. There’s no perfect club just look at the bst section. All joking aside I think even if most of us on here found a club that was perfect for us we could sell or trade it away looking for the next best thing. For me that’s part of the fun of golf.

I thought I had found the perfect club an syb714 with Kiyoshi tour Ltd. it’s currently not in the bag in the quest for the next best one. Lol

All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

I still swear by my OLD Sonartec NP model. 18 degrees with the stock NV in it. Still is a cannon and stupid eady to hit. I have hit some really great shots with that club. Love it for shortish par fours where I play where three wood still gets you to close or in trouble. Its good off the tee too... just have to tee it down.

Oh and they can be had for little cash. Good hunting

F6 Baffler. It’s a unicorn club.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

For me, I have a Callaway XR16 with a Fubuki Ax f75. I think the head is great, but the shaft is easy to launch. If you look at my bag, it says the 5wd swaps out for an Apex 20*. Truth is that hybrid hasn't been in the bag for awhile. The 5wd is just stupid easy to hit. I have the same set up in the 3wd (f65) which I use mainly off the tee. Off the deck I almost always reach for the 5wd.

Callaway Paradym 9* (N/+1) GD Tour AD DI 5/ Epic Speed 9* (N/+1) Ventus Red VeloCore 5
Callaway Epic Speed 15* 3wd Fubuki Ax f65 

Callaway Epic Max 18* 5wd Fubuki Ax f75  
Callaway Rogue ST Pro hybrid 23* KBS Prototype 75 or Apex UT 24* KBS Prototype 85
Callaway Mavrik Pro KBS TGI 6-PW 
Callaway MD3 46*/8* & 50*/10* 
Callaway Jaws Raw 54*/10*S & 58*/8*Z grind 
Odyssey Two Ball Ten Tour Lined Limited Stroke Lab SS Zenergy Flatso 1.0 or

Odyssey 5k Tri Hot #2 Stroke Lab SS Zenergy Pistol Tour

I have a v steel with a blueboard 83s tipped a ton. I’m not even sure how much. It was a driver shaft that snapped near the hosel. I have it cut down to 41” and the thing is money. Just point and shoot. My only complaint is that it can be a bit too spiny at times. I’ve tried to find something that does exactly what it does, but with less spin. My M3 is okay, but it’s not winning over my heart like old faithful. Plus, in the boredom of winter I’ve started shopping to pass the time. Sounds like I should be shopping for shafts for the ole v steel!

I’ve got my eyes on the F8+ for its adjustability to play from a 4W to a 5W, the rails, small shape, low spin head... sounds like the F6 is pretty popular. Is the F8 an improvement or another lackluster sequel?

My 5 wood for life: BiO Cell+ 5-7w with Rogue MAX 75S. Livelier face than Baffler, more forgiving too. My SS is similar to OPs.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

Really enjoying seeing the different 5w setups in the thread

Personally I have a 915fd 18* with Tour AD TP 8X at 41.5”. It’s an awesome looking club to begin with, deep head, classic slight gloss Titleist black and sets up flat and neutral. I hit this thing as far as most of my 4woods.

That is where the problem lies. It ends up being too much club for approaches and I’d rather hit 3w or 2i off the tee over 5w all day. I may try lofting it up and even hot melting the back to maximize launch and spin. Likely will end up going back to finding a unicorn little fairway style hybrid at 17-18*

It’s really all about approaches into par 5s for my 5w need.

Similar swing speed here...winter-time rummaging through bargain bin at local course a few years ago I found a 2004 Big Bertha 5W with RCH75 reg flex in well worn condition-$5. Joked with pro that this would be my fix for lost swing speed and inability to get 2 iron up in the air off the deck. Reaching for my wallet I found I had no cash on me. He told me I was good for it. Getaway the following week was my first time to put in play. Needless to say it has stayed in my bag since even with reg shaft...can balloon into the wind from the tee but money from the deck/rough/sand you name it. Gave him $10 because otherwise I felt I would be stealing.

I couldn't find a 3 wood to hit off the deck reliably forever, and I also don't like the smaller heads of 5 wood. Callaway Great Big Bertha 3 wood head cranked up to 17 degrees fit the bill, but the real trick was to fit it with 5-wood length shaft with lead tape (just buy a Cally 5 wood shaft off ebay). But then, cherry on top was getting a Diamana B60 shaft in it, which is more consistent and sweeter-feeling than anything from Cally oem...

Another vote for the Taylormade V-Steel. I like mine with the Dynamic Lite steel shafts ... I play the 16.5° 4-wood (at 42"), and sometimes the 21° 7-wood. Superb clubs, good distance off a low-ish trajectory that is effective into the wind.

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

The 5 wood for me that still hasn’t been beat is my tour issue 2016 m2 5 wood. The closest something has come is the 2017 m2 tour 5 (same specs, shafts) but not quite as good for me. M5 is en route as the next challenger.

M5 showed up yesterday. Hoping to hit it today. It could be a contender as it incorporates the flat sole of the 16 M2, and the smaller head size of the 17 M2 Tour. That was the biggest negative for me on the 17 M2 Tour, the sole was too spoon shaped. I preferred the flatter bottom of the 16 and how it sat at address.

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

The 5 wood for me that still hasn’t been beat is my tour issue 2016 m2 5 wood. The closest something has come is the 2017 m2 tour 5 (same specs, shafts) but not quite as good for me. M5 is en route as the next challenger.

M5 showed up yesterday. Hoping to hit it today. It could be a contender as it incorporates the flat sole of the 16 M2, and the smaller head size of the 17 M2 Tour. That was the biggest negative for me on the 17 M2 Tour, the sole was too spoon shaped. I preferred the flatter bottom of the 16 and how it sat at address.

It’s taken a lot for me to adjust to the sole youre talking about. Luckily most of my usage with my m2 tour 15* is off tee. I’ve always preferred flat soles too and next year I’ll give a m5 3w a look.

My choice for a 5 wood is the TM 200 series... I have a 2,3 and 5 and I can hit them both ways and high or low... just need to change shafts cuz I just don't need the S flex anymore... I was on that "eternal search" for decent fairway woods for years and ended up with these about 15 years ago and never looked back. I have gotten and used others but these have always been my favs....

Peace

Driver .....TM M2  12* ... Stock shaft Reg.

3 Wood...TM M2 HL 16*..stock reg shaft

7 Wood  TM  M2... stock shaft reg.

Hybrids....Adams.... A3OS Boxer  3-4-5 hybrids..Grafalloy  platinum Reg flex

Cobra F7 one length irons..... 6 - SW .. ...shafts.. Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue Axis @ 37.5"

Putter (varies) currently Custom made Starship model

Peace....  Update... 69 yrs old shot 68 this summer(2021)... God I love this game...

It’s taken a lot for me to adjust to the sole youre talking about. Luckily most of my usage with my m2 tour 15* is off tee. I’ve always preferred flat soles too and next year I’ll give a m5 3w a look.

My T3 M2 Tour ‘17 is basically a tee club for me as well. I’ll use it off the deck once awhile but don’t have the same level of trust in it. I’ve got the M5 rocket 3 also (traded a lot in) so I’m going to test that and see if I can get the same performance off the tee as the M2 Tour, and ideally with the flat sole better functionality off the turf.

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

Titleist 906f2. Mine happens to have NV 75, but with the V2 it's great as well. I played 9 holes today and hit EVERY fairway with it. Winter golf accuracy/direction is everything off the tee. 5 wood is perfect. I know it's old (ancient by golfwrx standards), but I don't care. It does exactly what I need it to. Back in the bag baby!

COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"

I’ve never been able to hit fw off the deck. I’ve been as low as 9 hcp and still top, block, slice, hook, at any time with no consistency. I’ve had lessons. I had given up and carried 17 hybrid for a long time thru several models. Always a dlr type hybrid. I play Titleist drivers always a d3. I’ve always tried f2 and f3 fw along with many brands.

When the 917f3 came out I suddenly smashed it. Pretty much dead straight. I tried the ts2/3 at Titleist day and back to inconsistent.

The 917f3 will never leave my bag. Unfortunately, they don’t make a 5 in the f3. So, the search for a fw I can hit higher off the deck continues. I still carry 15, 17,21 but every lesson we search for a 5w gap filler for a few minutes. The ping g400 was very very close.

Titleist tsi2 10 tensei blue raw R
Titleist tsi2 16.5 tensei blue raw R
Titleist 816 h1 17/21/25 Diamana red 60 S
Mizuno 6-P JPX 921 HMP recoil 95 f3
Mizuno t20 46/52/58 recoil 95 f3
Mizuno mcraft iii 
Titleist Pro V1x 

To answer the question "how is that e8 7 wood treating you?" It has been very good for me. It is my only second 7 wood after the PING G15 which is also great head but regular shaft was too soft for my wild hook swing.

Initially, I hated the E8 7 wood combo. The stock shaft Bassara 45 was horrible for my swing. It was too light and I was hitting the ball too high, short and inaccurate. When I put Rogue Black 60 stiff that came with E8 beta wood it became long and accurate combo. It is one of the most reliable club in my back now.

However, it has draw bias, large foot print and harsh feeling.