2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Srixon z765 vs z785 irons

bunta

I know there wont be many of you, but for those of you that have hit and experienced both, tell me more about them.. My GG doesnt stock them so i cant hit them but im willing to give it a blind shot.

i cant decide between the two. Give me anything you know about them.. The cost doesnt matter to me.

Did the refined V-sole make a difference ?

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

I have owned and currently own all the Srixon irons. It would be easier if we knew more specifics about your game, your handicap ect. I am pretty sure I can answer all your questions but not really sure what you are looking for

I'm interested but keep seeing low spin numbers on them. How have you found the 765 vs 785 for height and stopping power? How demanding are the long irons? If I end up getting a set I'd probably go 5 series for the 4-6.

The only real difference is the shape of the head. The 785 is shorter from heel to toe and is better looking than the 765. 585 is the same way - shorter heel to toe than previous model.

Once I get to hit them outside, I may very well shelve the Callaways for the 585's.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

The only real difference is the shape of the head. The 785 is shorter from heel to toe and is better looking than the 765. 585 is the same way - shorter heel to toe than previous model.

Once I get to hit them outside, I may very well shelve the Callaways for the 585's.

yep, had 745,65 and now 85......same club different shape

The 585's are hands down better than almost anything out there, and you've got game, the 785s. The most popular irons in our store are from Srixon and it isn't even close. The feel is outstanding.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

The 585's are hands down better than almost anything out there, and you've got game, the 785s. The most popular irons in our store are from Srixon and it isn't even close. The feel is outstanding.

Because your store carries Srixon, Tommy Armour and Strata?

im kidding.

im sure it feels fantastic. Im more interested in the V.T. sole though. Just not sure if its actually going to help in reality. im just not a good enough player (9 hdcp) to tell whether or not a sole will have impact on my strike.

im also curious on the "forgiveness". Ive played PING's since i started playing and God knows ive gotten away with way more shots than i deserve.

I wasn’t totally sold on the overall shape of the 765’s. The difference is subtle, but I do much prefer the 785’s.

I am very, very close to buying a set of 785’s that I absolutely don’t even need because I still love my Hogan PTx (also a V sole).

I hit the 785 and 585 at one of my local shops twice. Not a single bad thing to say. They would make a spectacular combo set as well with the 585’s in the long irons. They sell them that way and they literally blend perfectly between the two.

Go for it. They rival any club made today and are quite attractive.

I'm a Mizuno guy when it comes to irons, but those 785s are gorgeous.

I know there wont be many of you, but for those of you that have hit and experienced both, tell me more about them.. My GG doesnt stock them so i cant hit them but im willing to give it a blind shot.

i cant decide between the two. Give me anything you know about them.. The cost doesnt matter to me.

Did the refined V-sole make a difference ?

I had the 765s but not the 785s. The 765s were great but appeared too big for me. In researching the 785s, I found out that the 785s are more compact looking, particularly the PW. But I decided to move on to another brand.

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5 Driver
Honma TR21 16* 3 Wood
Honma TR21 Hybrid 19* and 23*
Callaway Apex 21 P-6 Irons
Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges 56-14F and 60-4T
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

I wasn’t totally sold on the overall shape of the 765’s. The difference is subtle, but I do much prefer the 785’s.

I am very, very close to buying a set of 785’s that I absolutely don’t even need because I still love my Hogan PTx (also a V sole).

I hit the 785 and 585 at one of my local shops twice. Not a single bad thing to say. They would make a spectacular combo set as well with the 585’s in the long irons. They sell them that way and they literally blend perfectly between the two.

Good for it. They rival any club made today and are quite attractive.

Yep, the 585/785 combo set is just about perfect (I'm coming from a full set of 545s), I prefer the slimmer profile of the new x85 series as well as the more subtle sole design (the V isnt as sharp). I have the 585s bent to the 785 lofts, cant wait for the builder to finish them!

Something to consider. 765 has a longer blade length and tungsten in the toe. Srixon have said that they made the 785 more workable.

I read that as 765 is more forgiving of the two.

Regarding the VT sole - it either works for you or it doesn’t. Not much difference between 765 and 785

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

I have the 585 and played the 565 previously and you are correct about the head size but the sole on the 585's are wider. Not sure how they will play, (living in Montreal and winter is no where done) as in turf interaction on real grass,

10.5* Ping G430 Max, MCA Diamana BF 60g 

18* 5W Stealth 2+ Ti, MCA Kail'li red 70g

21* 7W Ping G430 Max, Oban Revenge 85g
22* & 26* HY Ping G430, MCA 80g Kai'li white

6-GW Mizuno JPX 923 HM, PX LZ 
54*S & 58*T Ping Glide 4.0, DG 120 
L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch) 

Pro V1 or Z Star. GP TV 360 std. Titleist Players glove

Ping Hoofer Lite OR Ping Pioneer with Clicgear 3.5+

I really like the Z585 and Z785 and may still pull the trigger but the 919F spin so much more for me and I need it.

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

I have the 585 and played the 565 previously and you are correct about the head size but the sole on the 585's are wider. Not sure how they will play, (living in Montreal and winter is no where done) as in turf interaction on real grass,

Yeah, you guys have gotten beat up with winter lately. On the bright side, your upper body will be ripped after all that shoveling. Hard to believe that in only 6 weeks golf courses will be opening.

MCC Align Midsize

Much prefer the 765. Not as compact, easier to hit, like the rounded lines. The 785 is noticeably more compact if you like that but I did not. A very square topline to toe transition bugs me. I like it smoother and rounded because it gives me a good look against a square leading edge for alignment.

Of the 745, 765 and 785, the newest is the smallest head.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Much prefer the 765. Not as compact, easier to hit, like the rounded lines. The 785 is noticeably more compact if you like that but I did not. A very square topline to toe transition bugs me. I like it smoother and rounded because it gives me a good look against a square leading edge for alignment.

How about the sole comparison of them ? size wise (any difference in width between the 765 and 785? turf interaction ?

How about the sole comparison of them ? size wise (any difference in width between the 765 and 785? turf interaction ?

They tweaked the bounce in the newer head — increased leading edge bounce — but the major v-sole refinement was from the 745 to 765. Notice the difference on the heel from the first v-sole series (745) to the next two.

I noticed no difference off turf. These are very similar heads overall with slightly different lines and size. Both are very nice. If I was playing 3 times a week, might opt for the 785. But the 765 looks a little friendlier to my eye from address and I hit it and the 965 well, so that’s what drove my choice.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I LOVE my z785 irons. Great sticks. Just got back from Orlando where I played 8 rounds. Hit some amazing iron shots. They keep impressing me.

Tell me more. im interested in headsize, sole size, etc.. the VT sole ? hows it play ? its killing me no where stocks srixon irons smh

Is the consensus that the Srixon Z 745 / 765 / 785 are very similar, almost the same club? I have my eye on two used Srixon iron sets, a 765 for about $350 and a 745 for about $250. Both sets look almost new. Would I be better off just going for the older 745 since they're "almost the same"? Why would one choose one over the other?

Is the consensus that the Srixon Z 745 / 765 / 785 are very similar, almost the same club? I have my eye on two used Srixon iron sets, a 765 for about $350 and a 745 for about $250. Both sets look almost new. Would I be better off just going for the older 745 since they're "almost the same"? Why would one choose one over the other?

It just depends on the look for you. They likely play nearly the same so it comes down to price and optics.

For me, the x85 models are much better looking. And that is all about confidence.

MCC Align Midsize

If price is the main factor and you can look down at most anything, the 745’s at that price point would definitely be the way to go. I am more of a picker/sweeper and the sole isn’t as much of a factor for ME between models, but the 785 is the narrowest and that gives me more confidence in a solid strike without worrying about too much drag or catching too much turf before hitting the ball. The 765 is probably the most forgiving overall, but again that’ll depend on swing Type as a shallower swing such as mine finds the 785 more forgiving. The 745 is more square, the 765 more round, and the 785 a good mix of the two. All of these differences are pretty minuscule and quite honestly I could play any of them in a heartbeat and shoot the same score haha.

I have hit the 785s (I game the 765s) and will not be switching anytime soon. I actually prefer the slightly larger profile of the 765s (I had the 745s before the 765s, but found the sole of the 745s a bit too wide for my shallow swing).

Feel is near identical (to me) and performance on the range was similar as well.

PING G430 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

Mizuno ST-G 15* Tour AD DI 7X

Titleist TSR2 18* Tour AD DI 85X

Mizuno MP20 HMB 2 Tour AD 95X

Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT115X(-)

Titleist Vokey SM7 52F - 58D

Mizuno M Craft II

Titleist ProV1

I had the 765s, a buddy had the 745s, and another guy with the 785s. Here's a quick breakdown of our thoughts (some of it's already been mentioned in this thread, as well as many other srixon iron threads):

Looks/Shape/Sole: 745s are more square, 765s quite round (especially in the short irons), and 785s are in the middle. 785s seems the thinnest sole and shortest heel/toe; 765s were the fattest and longest heel/toe. Off the turf, they all perform well. 785s seemed to cut through just a little better to me. But maybe the marketing talk is getting in my head... Also, I did an indoor fitting and the 785s spun a bit less than the 765s. Not a ton, but consistently around 200-300 less on comparable strikes. But I did get a slightly higher launch with the 785s too.

Honestly, the differences were pretty small and we didn't notice a ton of difference between the 3 models. Overall, it's what makes you feel confident over the ball. Coming from Mizunos, my eye preferred the slimmer 785s; my buddy who previously had shovels before his 785s preferred the 765s. I don't think anyone would be overly disappointed if they blindly chose one or the other.