We’re Back......Steve Stricker Ryder Cup Captain (MERGED)

Forged4ever

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I guess we’re now fully committed to the idea of milquetoast guys with slightly above average careers and poor Ryder Cup records leading the squad?

Calling it right now, Stewart Cink in 2024.

If only you had been on the selection committee! I'm very anxious to hear who you would have properly chosen.

Haha, no problem as a funny thing happened that my Bud still busts my stones over and when I get pissed at something, he just chirps "ok Lick," lolol.

We had this hack reporter from some small town newspaper in WVa walkin with us and he just had that "look" of bein an arsehole if ya know what I mean. He had a press badge on, introductions were made and he was gonna walk with us, hopefully be a fly in the fairway and ask intelligent questions and get enough info to do a story on PGA Pros trying to get back to the show(My Bud and Licklite).

Long story short, he had NEVER hit a golf ball, NEVER been on a golf course and knew ZERO about etiquette, do's & dont's, etc, lol. So my Bud says that it's my job to explain all this as necessary and I told numbnuts to walk with my caddie and be his shadow, standing where he stands, except on the greens when he's to stand over where the bags are dropped, NOT coming on the greens at all.

So he's askin all these asinine questions that only someone who had never played the game would be interested in and on the third tee, my Bud points to me, tells him that he's got to start concentrating on his game, and that as his "Press Agent," he was to direct all questions to me.

I looked at him, busted out laughing and said "WTF," lmao

Even Lickliter laughed.

So I'm hangin in there and seriously, this is one of the two most annoying miserable rounds that I've ever Played, and finally on 16 tee, with him jabbering on and bear in mind that this has been goin on for the past 12-13 holes and I finally turn around and say "Dude, Stop!! Do me a favor and these last three holes just please walk, enjoy the walk and Please STFU," lol

Right hand to God

My Bud turns away from me and is cracking up with his caddie and Lickliter busts out laughing and chirps "You're just like me," lolol

So not only did I have the walk from Hell that day, I have arguably one of the Top-3 Pr!cks on Tour tell me that I'm just like him

It was one of the cruelest things ever said to me and as recently as this last Christmas, my Bud said "ok Lick, whatever you say," lol

Even my friggin Brother-in-Law uses that occasionally, lol.

So, even when he was bein "nice," he was a jerk-off, lmao

Apologies for the novella

Cheets

RP

Great story lick!

I am in disbelief a non-golfing reporter actually has the patience/time to walk 18 holes. Another reporter who can't cut it at McDonald's...

Much better stories found at the 19th hole, no point in walking the course.

So, I guess we’re now fully committed to the idea of milquetoast guys with slightly above average careers and poor Ryder Cup records leading the squad?

If only you had been on the selection committee! I'm very anxious to hear who you would have properly chosen.

Are you saying I’m wrong or that you’d rather I didn’t point it out?

I don’t really blame the committee, actually. At this point, most of the guys you’d think of as being eligible have poor RC records and less than overwhelming career numbers.

Personally, I’d have given Azinger another shot or even two more shots. This isn’t about everyone getting a turn, it’s about winning the damn thing. I like a guy who’d rather chew off his own leg than lose, as captain, not the guy who seems comfortable giving the gracious concession speech.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

14th in career earnings...yep, slightly above average is dead on :swoon:

A number which means that you’ve been consistent for a long time in the Tiger era of big purses. Very commendable, and lucrative, but 12 tour wins in 25 years is hardly earth shattering.

Nothing against Stricker, but I don't see how RC Captains have much to do with winning. Losing yes, they sure can over manage it, set the wrong tone, or plain not get it. Hopefully Stricker knows this and just keeps it simple.

Think of your usual skins game with 20 players or so... If the "leader" suddenly changes the game to a team game and asks everyone to pair up, would you struggle to find the right person for your game, for your comfort, for your confidence? I doubt it. How long to figure this out? Five minutes?

So how hard can it be to captain the RC? So overblown. Pick the clothes, schedule shopping events for the WAGs, and entertain the VIPs. Toughest part of the job is the endless interviewing leading up to it and the press conferences. Most valuable part of the job, which anyone can do, figure out what the other team's overall weakness is and set the course up to expose it.

I would like to see the auto picks limited to top 4 only in points. The one thing a captain can and should do is pick players who actually want to win; that are super passionate to win. Players who have a chip on their shoulder. Players who do not need a captain to be motivated, but are self driven to get on a team and win. And the players do their own pairings with as minimal captain intervention. Then maybe, maybe the US as a team can be motivated enough to pull it off.

Who would your choice be??

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Who would your choice be??

Cheers?

RP

As I said above, I’m not really blaming the committee for the choice so much as I’m bemoaning the pool of available talent. When you’re picking guys with losing records and no majors, it appears to me like we’re just playing “everyone gets a turn”. Golf is a cliquey sport to begin with and this just feels like that kind of pick.

When people ask, well who would you pick, and there’s really no better answer, it says a lot.

Personally, I’d have given Azinger another shot or even two more shots. This isn’t about everyone getting a turn, it’s about winning the damn thing. I like a guy who’d rather chew off his own leg than lose, as captain, not the guy who seems comfortable giving the gracious concession speech.

BINGO!!!

Walter Hagen set the precedent with 6 consecutive nods while Hogan and Sam had 3 each with Jack, Tom, Jackie Burke, Mr. Palmer and D Love having 2 apiece.

Absolutely I’d have Zinger back in the saddle after that humiliating(at least I hope they took that beating as humiliating) defeat and bein on home soil!!

Great response!!

BTW, I wasn’t saying anything negative about your initial post or insinuating any blame, I was just curious who you’d choose ?

All the Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Are you saying I’m wrong or that you’d rather I didn’t point it out?

I don’t really blame the committee, actually. At this point, most of the guys you’d think of as being eligible have poor RC records and less than overwhelming career numbers.

I wouldn't say that your comment was wrong, maybe irrelevant. You insinuated that Stricker was a poor choice and I was curious who you thought would be a good one. I can see why you feel the way you do about Steve's personality and career, I just dont think the things you brought up have a damn thing to do with how good a captain he will be.

By the way, after Stricker, I think Azinger would have been a fine choice.

14th in career earnings...yep, slightly above average is dead on :swoon:

A number which means that you’ve been consistent for a long time in the Tiger era of big purses. Very commendable, and lucrative, but 12 tour wins in 25 years is hardly earth shattering.

Though I like this pick due to the present set-up, and knowing that Zinger would be a no-go, Stricker’s Cup record of 3-7-1 is hardly stuff of legends, lol

However I guess that someone could counter that Gentle Ben was worse, at 3-8-1(2-2 in singles) and he’s a RC Icon, lol

I myself would like to see the Walrus(4-2-2 and 2-0-0 in singles, which is the one that I look to) get into the loop as a VC and see how he meshes, cuz he is one who would chew his leg off for a victory.

Well, he would if he could get past his stomach to get to it?

Yea, picking by the Numbers is gonna be dicey cuz over all, the past two decades ain’t been pretty, lol

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

If they wanted a WI boy with no majors, why not Jerry Kelly? Skip Kendall anyone? Mark Wilson? Andy North? Ooh Dan Forsman!

Horrible choice with Stricker. Terrible record in RC play. No majors.

Give it to one of the new kids that has some fire and that knows how the others play.

Callaway 816 DBD - Mitsubishi MMT 70
PXG 0341X 3W - HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted
Callaway Epic SZ 5W - Aldila Tour Blue
Honma TW747V 4-10 - Accra 80i
Corey Paul Raw 50*

Vega VW-06 54*

Scratch 58*
Tour Cameron NP2

And I just read Stricker has appointed Furyk as an assistant captain.....

Enthusiasm gone.....

Please tell me no.....

Forget the past, why would you not use that spot to groom someone for the future????

Hahaha, they never learn, lmao??

All the Best,

RP

If they wanted a WI boy with no majors, why not Jerry Kelly? Skip Kendall anyone? Mark Wilson? Andy North? Ooh Dan Forsman!

Horrible choice with Stricker. Terrible record in RC play. No majors.

Give it to one of the new kids that has some fire and that knows how the others play.

Just FYI - since you obviously did not consult wikipedia prior to posting - Andy North has 2 US Open titles to his name, the exact same number as Brooks Koepka.

I guess if you ruled out players with losing records the US would have nobody under 80 eligible to be captain, but I don’t get this one. Steve hasn’t exactly shown that he knows how to thrive in Ryder Cup pressure. He’s probably a nice guy and a good friend, but I don’t know if he can provide alpha male team leadership.

Which doesn’t matter one way or the other. I cannot think of anything in sport that is more ado about nothing than who the Ryder Cup captain is.

Haha, no problem as a funny thing happened that my Bud still busts my stones over and when I get pissed at something, he just chirps "ok Lick," lolol.

We had this hack reporter from some small town newspaper in WVa walkin with us and he just had that "look" of bein an arsehole if ya know what I mean. He had a press badge on, introductions were made and he was gonna walk with us, hopefully be a fly in the fairway and ask intelligent questions and get enough info to do a story on PGA Pros trying to get back to the show(My Bud and Licklite).

Long story short, he had NEVER hit a golf ball, NEVER been on a golf course and knew ZERO about etiquette, do's & dont's, etc, lol. So my Bud says that it's my job to explain all this as necessary and I told numbnuts to walk with my caddie and be his shadow, standing where he stands, except on the greens when he's to stand over where the bags are dropped, NOT coming on the greens at all.

So he's askin all these asinine questions that only someone who had never played the game would be interested in and on the third tee, my Bud points to me, tells him that he's got to start concentrating on his game, and that as his "Press Agent," he was to direct all questions to me.

I looked at him, busted out laughing and said "WTF," lmao

Even Lickliter laughed.

So I'm hangin in there and seriously, this is one of the two most annoying miserable rounds that I've ever Played, and finally on 16 tee, with him jabbering on and bear in mind that this has been goin on for the past 12-13 holes and I finally turn around and say "Dude, Stop!! Do me a favor and these last three holes just please walk, enjoy the walk and Please STFU," lol

Right hand to God

My Bud turns away from me and is cracking up with his caddie and Lickliter busts out laughing and chirps "You're just like me," lolol

So not only did I have the walk from Hell that day, I have arguably one of the Top-3 Pr!cks on Tour tell me that I'm just like him

It was one of the cruelest things ever said to me and as recently as this last Christmas, my Bud said "ok Lick, whatever you say," lol

Even my friggin Brother-in-Law uses that occasionally, lol.

So, even when he was bein "nice," he was a jerk-off, lmao

Apologies for the novella

Cheets

RP

Great story lick!

I am in disbelief a non-golfing reporter actually has the patience/time to walk 18 holes. Another reporter who can't cut it at McDonald's...

Much better stories found at the 19th hole, no point in walking the course.

So true CL, as what Richard hasn’t mentioned, and I believe that this is the second time that he’s posted about his Mylan Classic practice round with Frank, is that he felt badly because Frank shut this reporter out completely, initially either ignoring him and not answering his questions or giving short curt answers and Richard thinks that made him hesitant in asking his buddy, who can be edgy if he doesn’t care for someone. Richard felt badly after the round and went over to him and spoke with him and invited him to dinner with us, in which we were meeting Rocco, who was playing as a favor to the sponsors as the home town hero, & Colt Knost, and Richard told him that these guys were more easy going than Frank and Richard’s buddy, who while he’s a great guy, he can be sarcastic and edgy, haha. He basically got most of his story from dinner that night, and whatever Richard said to him must have stuck because he was a nice guy and carried himself fine at dinner. I think that Frank had bothered Richard more than the reporter, haha :) M

I'd love to know how in the hell we've gotten to the point where someone who wins a dozen tournaments on the PGA Tour in a career is now labeled "slightly above average".

Someone who has won professional events on courses like Cog Hill, Melbourne, Riviera, Colonial, TPC Boston, TPC Avenel, Kapalua, and Muirfield Village is now just a touch above the mean in the golfing world, I guess.

I guess I am OK with Sticks being next Ryder cup captain and I guess I understand the system is past captains become assistants but I am not loving the comments from Stricker on ‘he did everything right’ on Fuyrk. I think Figjam was major error due to course and state of his game not to mention a couple of other selections and pairings. Am I being too harsh ?

Cobra driver
TMade 3 & hybrid
Titleist AP2 Irons (4-PW)
Vokey wedges
Cleveland putter
Srixon ball

I guess I am OK with Sticks being next Ryder cup captain and I guess I understand the system is past captains become assistants but I am not loving the comments from Stricker on ‘he did everything right’ on Fuyrk. I think Figjam was major error due to course and state of his game not to mention a couple of other selections and pairings. Am I being too harsh ?

Cobra driver
TMade 3 & hybrid
Titleist AP2 Irons (4-PW)
Vokey wedges
Cleveland putter
Srixon ball

I guess I am OK with Sticks being next Ryder cup captain and I guess I understand the system is past captains become assistants but I am not loving the comments from Stricker on 'he did everything right' on Fuyrk. I think Figjam was major error due to course and state of his game not to mention a couple of other selections and pairings. Am I being too harsh ?

Cmon, it's Stricker and he's commenting on something that's been over for a year. What is he realistically going to say.