We’re Back......Steve Stricker Ryder Cup Captain (MERGED)

Forged4ever

So, I guess we’re now fully committed to the idea of milquetoast guys with slightly above average careers and poor Ryder Cup records leading the squad?

Calling it right now, Stewart Cink in 2024.

Who would your choice be??

Cheers?

RP

John Cook....

Friendly still with top older guys.

In spite of injuries a pretty good career

Very competitive and not a candy a**

My choice

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like many here, I'm a huge golf fan. But honestly, I could really care less about the Ryder Cup or the Presidents Cup.

I'm sure the players enjoy playing with some of their peers (Reed, Bubba excluded), and it's a good social event for a week. But I'm pretty sure no one is dwelling over a loss for more than about 5 minutes. They could care less about the golf and it shows.

The U.S. team could have no captain/assistant captains, go pickup 12 red/white/blue shirts/pants at PGA Tour Superstore the week before, and draw names out of a hat for pairings, and the outcome would be about the same. And since there is no captain, just put guys #9-#12 on the team by default.

Seems you and Furyk have a lot in common. Now that the major requirement is gone perhaps they'll let you throw your hat in for 2022?

I'm not saying I am more qualified or could do a better job.

People make this event out to be a big deal, but I'd guess that half of the people playing/team admin would rather be doing something else and would gladly drop out if they could (without causing other negative PR issues).

I agree with you, it used to be an exhibition and I wish the US didn't act so competitive about it, holding a task force is cray cray. But, that was Furyk's mistake, Watson's too, I think. They didn't bring that level of intensity that it takes to go get a victory in an away game.

I'd just as soon they poor the attention into the Walker Cup, but that will never happen.

The Captain is the leader,/the manager of a team. It is the leader's job to bring together the right people to get the job done. This includes all the elements that would be found in running a team of high achievers in any organization. Player chemistry is an important element as well as using facts to play the "hot" hands come tournament time. Furyk had to live with the players that made the team on points, but he failed miserably on his additional captain's picks. He also failed in the inspirational aspect of leadership. Finally, I believe the clothing the team wore was crappy too ... if you are going to be a winner, you need to dress like a winner (unless you are out buying cars and then you dress like a loser to win). :)

Bottom line grade .. Furyk .. F

There is no one Furyk could of picked that would of helped America on that setup

There is but it would have never happened due to the way rankings are done and current rules.

Interested to know who you are referring to.

I don't think the outcome of the Ryder Cup is different but I definitely think the team could have been better suited to the setup with different personnel.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

So, I guess we’re now fully committed to the idea of milquetoast guys with slightly above average careers and poor Ryder Cup records leading the squad?

Who would your choice be??

Cheers?

RP

John Cook....

My choice

Superb choice from the current crop!

Pete loved John and worked with him when he was at Ohio State and he walked with him during his first Sunnehanna win(he won twice).

Excellent choice!!

All the Best with your surgery?

Stay well,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Paul Azinger was 5-8-3 in the Ryder Cup.

US Players under 50, with a major win and a winning Ryder Cup record

Justin Thomas 4-1

Jason Dufner 3-1

Patrick Reed 7-3-2

Keegan Bradley 4-3

Jordan Spieth 7-5-2

Brooks Koepka 4-3-1

Zach Johnson 8-7-2

There are some excellent choices there for the future!!!

Yea, I’m including Patrick in that group~

He’s carried guys on his shoulders to victory in college and he’s done it as a Pro and he’s not finished.

Oh, they don’t care for him you chirp???

Check it out following his carrying those candy arses to victory in ‘16, lolol

There’s a lot of love for a winner?

The one that’s gonna nauseate me the most is Phil, cuz putting his Playing ability aside, he reminds me of the Stiller’s Anthony Brown, lol...

World Class ability however a malignant team killing cancer when he doesn’t get his way~

Yeeeeaaaa Baby, that’d be my choice to captain a team ;)

Putz’s ?

Thanks for posting DP?

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Yes - exactly. Stricter does not need to publicly bad mouth Fuyrk - but after all the poor performances over the years does he have to be the first guy selected to the team - even if as vice captain. Let’s try some new ideas and new blood. There are tons of guys that deserve an opportunity

It’s vice captain. He’s not hitting the first tee ball out.

Bottom line is the us team and a tight course with high rough doesn’t work. Bomb and gouge is the game. They will mow this course to one huge fairway and the us team will win by Saturday night.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Like many here, I'm a huge golf fan. But honestly, I could really care less about the Ryder Cup or the Presidents Cup.

I'm sure the players enjoy playing with some of their peers (Reed, Bubba excluded), and it's a good social event for a week. But I'm pretty sure no one is dwelling over a loss for more than about 5 minutes. They could care less about the golf and it shows.

The U.S. team could have no captain/assistant captains, go pickup 12 red/white/blue shirts/pants at PGA Tour Superstore the week before, and draw names out of a hat for pairings, and the outcome would be about the same. And since there is no captain, just put guys #9-#12 on the team by default.

Seems you and Furyk have a lot in common. Now that the major requirement is gone perhaps they'll let you throw your hat in for 2022?

I'm not saying I am more qualified or could do a better job.

People make this event out to be a big deal, but I'd guess that half of the people playing/team admin would rather be doing something else and would gladly drop out if they could (without causing other negative PR issues).

I agree with you, it used to be an exhibition and I wish the US didn't act so competitive about it, holding a task force is cray cray. But, that was Furyk's mistake, Watson's too, I think. They didn't bring that level of intensity that it takes to go get a victory in an away game.

I'd just as soon they poor the attention into the Walker Cup, but that will never happen.

I wonder if the play/focus is going to get even worse with the schedule change. In 2020, there will be roughly a month break between the Tour Championship and the Ryder Cup. Some of the guys could probably use a couple weeks off from a rest standpoint, but I can also see guys not touching clubs except for a few days before the competition.

There is also a large gap until the President's Cup this year (even if some guys play the fall events).

Who would your choice be?

Cheers

RP

John Cook....

My choice

Great choice!!!

I think that Frank had bothered Richard more than the reporter, haha :) M

No Sweetie, though Lickliter’s theatrics whenever he missed a shot were annoying(I’m big on whether you be an amateur or a Pro, when ya hit a poor shot, act like a Pro!!), the reporter’s constant chirping and questions were like chalk on a chalk board and he was so oblivious that you would think that most people, if standing next to my caddie when I pulled a club and took a position behind my ball and looked at the target, even though they knew nothing about a PSR, would at least STFU, lolol.

This happened on like the 4th-5th hole, I forget exactly, but I’m standing there looking at my target, going through my PSR, and I heard, “one quick question,” lmao?

I ignored him, finished my visualization, stepped into the box, took my stance and hit the shot. I then looked at him and decently said that when I pulled a club all talking was to cease unless it was me that was talking, lol. Well, he did honor my request.

He did as I asked, it’s just that stuff that I’d assumed that even a non-golfer would pick up on, he was oblivious to.

Maybe that was his natural personality, maybe it was his reporter personality kickin in, who knows. What I do know is that it was annoying hell, lol.

Much more so than Lickliter’s childish theatrics and club banging(he did not throw a club, just banging them off of the ground, his bag and once, a walking bridge that his ball had come to rest by), lol.

Nah, the reporter was much more annoying, lolol?

Have a great day Sweetheart?

Richard

I’d say the break helps the US team. Alot of the euro team wasn’t at the tour championship and had a break. While the US team had to catch a flight out ASAP across the Atlantic. That couldn’t have made it easy.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Stricker is good. As good of a guy and leader as you’ll find.

Couples is out. He’s made some influential people mad. Lol.

Objective data ? Does everything have to be a math bee ?i think that’s whats wrong with the teams now. They don’t just go out and play they rely on who should win on paper.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I guess if you ruled out players with losing records the US would have nobody under 80 eligible to be captain, but I don't get this one. Steve hasn't exactly shown that he knows how to thrive in Ryder Cup pressure. He's probably a nice guy and a good friend, but I don't know if he can provide alpha male team leadership.
Who would you have chosen? Thanks for responding?Cheers?RP
Frank Lickliter?

I think Lickliter is out, heard he was having personal struggles.

You're right - you can see it in his posture.

The other annoying thing about Lickme is that he never takes those glasses off, even when talking to someone, lolol.

Even if I’m outside, if you approach me, address me and we engage in a conversation, regardless of the length, I remove my shades so that you can see my eyes.

Always!!

That’s just me~

Now I get and understand that many wouldn’t if we had say, a quick conversation in passing to the first tee or clubhouse, and that’s fine.

Just cuz I do it, doesn’t make it gospel and mean that you have to do it.

However, if we’re sitting on a covered porch, with no direct sunlight in any of our eyes, then I think that you should remove the shades.

This happened twice with Lickme and once was at dusk, 7ish in the evening, and he kept em on till we parted, about 8ish, and still light out but the sun was low in the sky and as I said, we were under a covered porch.

I mean, even David Duval removes his shades if he’s talking with you and when seated on a porch, and he is Superman behind those Jackets, lolol??

Ah screw it, when I don’t care for someone, I can be a b!tch, lolol?

Stay well Bro?

Richard

I hope he does not get pressured to pick anyone just because of status but based on what he really feels would benefit the team.

I am not worried about Steve's leadership. My concern lies in the self-centeredness we have on the US Squad. We play as a group of siloed singles. Steve needs to ignite the team’s passion to win as a group.

The Euro’s seem the have the "team thing" down to a science and demonstrate unity by playing with the passion as depicted similarly in the acting of Angus Macfadyen.

Not picking Phil would be a great place to start.

Phil May play his way in at the current pace. Lol

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I hope he does not get pressured to pick anyone just because of status but based on what he really feels would benefit the team.

I am not worried about Steve's leadership. My concern lies in the self-centeredness we have on the US Squad. We play as a group of siloed singles. Steve needs to ignite the team’s passion to win as a group.

The Euro’s seem the have the "team thing" down to a science and demonstrate unity by playing with the passion as depicted similarly in the acting of Angus Macfadyen.

This brings up an interesting question(I find most of my questions interesting, even if Maddie and you guys don’t??) and that is, who could ya see being a Playing Captain, ala Hagen, Hogan, Sam and Sam’s Main Man, “Hollywood” Lloyd Mangrum(pictured)??

Though I think that there are a few more that could pull the double duty off, I believe that the only two that the PGA would consider are Tiger & FIGJAM Jr.

Can ya believe that friggin Jerry Barber was the last Playing Captain in 1961??

Though Captain Dave Stockton initially submitted his name for the 1991 “War By The Shore” Cup Team, it was not on the final line-up card.

Who do you think would get the nod?

Cheers?

RP

Ooops, read that wrong!

We will likely have a playing captain for the President's Cup. It will be interesting to see the dynamic at work!

Bill Russell didn't do too badly as a player-coach, but it wasn't ideal. (Just had to channel some classic Celtics this morning - thinking of what are usually cold and intemperate St. Patrick's Days around here is better than the abnormally frigid weather we are expected to have for the foreseeable future).

This brings up an interesting question(I find most of my questions interesting, even if Maddie and you guys don’t??) and that is, who could ya see being a Playing Captain, ala Hagen, Hogan & Sam and Sam’s Main Man, “Hollywood” Lloyd Mangrum(pictured)??

Though I believe that there are a few more that could pull the double duty off, I believe that the only two that the PGA would consider are Tiger & FIGJAM Jr.

Who do you think would get the nod?

Cheers?

RP

Agree completely. I think Phil or Tiger could pull it off.

Especially Phil. Here’s my thinking.

You are correct. He does kill the team vibe if he doesn’t get his way. But. I see him as playing captain being different. I’d say that if he wasn’t playing well he’d sit himself for the better of the team. The heat that the captain gets for a loss just might be enough to make him think “ team “ and not “ me”. Just maybe. ( I admit to being on the fence on this idea myself lol).

But there’s also the legitimate shot that he comes out and plays like he did vs Sergio and is an incredible asset to the team. That has to be one of the top 5 matches all time if you consider birdies made etc.

That type performance is why I defended him being picked last time vs some newbies who were playing well. When you have a guy who you know has basically no known limit to his playing ability . but that has a proven ability to take his game to levels that those newbies haven’t sniffed you take the proven potential with no known ceiling every time I think.

Point in that rambling is that you can’t predict how someone will play. But if I’m rolling dice it’s going to be with my money on a guy like Phil. You can statistically analyze him all you want and discredit the pick. But he can easily show up and shoot 61-65 and blow those stats to hell. He’s done it many times.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Stricker is good. As good of a guy and leader as you'll find.

Couples is out. He's made some influential people mad. Lol.

Objective data ? Does everything have to be a math bee ?i think that's whats wrong with the teams now. They don't just go out and play they rely on who should win on paper.

I think the Euro's have used it quite effectively. And clearly to their benefit, results talk.

Data is just a tool to get those results. It's not everything.

You’re welcome to drop in, lol?

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1746844-were-back/

Cheers?

RP

The one that I’m surprised hasn’t gotten the nod as he’s had a very successful President’s Cup run, in takin down Norman, et al twice and Nick Price’s crew once, and that’s Freddy.

Granted, he’s not one of my favorites however he’s the perfect example of a non Type-A Alpha that guys want to and will Play for.

He’s 3-0 as a PC Cap, a 5-Time Ryder Cupper as a Player, former World #1, has a green jacket, WGHoF(deserved or not) and his name isn’t even in the conversation?

I mean, they give the mouse, Corey Friggin Pavin the nod?!?!?

He made Colin look like General Patton for chrissakes?

Somethins up here boys, lol

These PGA guys are lil men with lil boy complexes and one of em belongs to Oakmont, is on this board and I know for a fact that he lurks and lives in this Tour Section, was in this thread, as he usually is in any thread that I post regarding the PGA, cuz he knows that I’m not fond of the “ole boi network,” especially when the “ole bois” are spineless putzes, and while I will not name drop, we both know that he doesn’t have the stones to post and put his name behind it, lolol.

My comments are totally on me and represent no one else’s views and opinions, at least as far as my posting this is concerned.

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

Ryder Cup captains get way too much credit when we win and way too much blame when we lose. Ultimately it's the player's that hit the shots. I don't think there's much Furyk could've done to change the outcome. Having said that, some of his decisions were mystifying. Splitting up three proven duos. Playing Phil in alternate shot. Playing Tiger in three of the four team sessions. A lot of WTF moments in his captaincy.

Stricker seems to be in the Furyk mold so I'm not very sanguine about our prospects in 2020. I would like to see the PGA switch it up and think outside the box when it comes to captains. Obviously Couples is long overdue. Maybe throw in a Johnny Miller or a Roger Maltbie, guys who see these players day in and day out. Or maybe a former President like Obama or Trump when he's out of office. And thinking waaay outside the box, I think John Daly should get a shot. Let's face it, those guys couldn't be worse than the captains we've had for the past 20 years. On paper, we should win every cup. For whatever reason we wind up losing most every cup. So these boring, predictable picks need to go. Let's shake it up and see what happens.

Ryder Cup captains get way too much credit when we win and way too much blame when we lose. Ultimately it's the player's that hit the shots. I don't think there's much Furyk could've done to change the outcome. Having said that, some of his decisions were mystifying. Splitting up three proven duos. Playing Phil in alternate shot. Playing Tiger in three of the four team sessions. A lot of WTF moments in his captaincy.

Stricker seems to be in the Furyk mold so I'm not very sanguine about our prospects in 2020. I would like to see the PGA switch it up and think outside the box when it comes to captains. Obviously Couples is long overdue. Maybe throw in a Johnny Miller or a Roger Maltbie, guys who see these players day in and day out. Or maybe a former President like Obama or Trump when he's out of office. And thinking waaay outside the box, I think John Daly should get a shot. Let's face it, those guys couldn't be worse than the captains we've had for the past 20 years. On paper, we should win every cup. For whatever reason we wind up losing most every cup. So these boring, predictable picks need to go. Let's shake it up and see what happens.

I agree with you in general about too much blame / too much credit, but I think Furyk is the exception. Bad captain’s picks, bad pairings, wearing out some of your veteran players, playing Tiger in the AM cool temps when clearly that hamstrings him, lack of team unity, and then the sniping afterwards. I think Furyk failed at pretty much every aspect of captaincy and gave his team virtually no chance to succeed.

And I love your idea about an Obama, Trump, Clinton, Bush, someone like that being a captain. Talk about a ratings bonanza.