Club Corp Course Reviews for Play Away (Formerly Travel) Members

• 2 weeks later...

Played in Tucson couple days ago. Tucson national was solid and would go back anytime. Oro Valley CC will be a pass for me. Narrow, boring layout with a broader leaf Bermuda greens. The greens were bumpy and hard to putt on in my opinion. Rarely did I feel like it rolled well except for a couple times. 3 footers were bouncing all over and could easily be missed.

On another note, I had buddy that was accused of carving his name and score into a steering wheel and his membership was cancelled. Clubcorp wouldn't even listen to him as the photo they produced of the steering wheel were not his scores and his name was spelled wrong. Head pro won't even call either one of us back. Definitely left a bad impression on me as I've probably have referred 6-7 people over the last few years. Have a couple trips planned and then will likely cancel my membership as I don't travel as much in the fall.

You guys are miss understanding the message no local play(EG if your home club is club corp you cant play other local clubs) - play away members can use their benifits. In the last two weeks while traveling I played Woodlands CC (Palmer) and Prestonwood CC (Hills). A few markets LA, NY and some courses are closed to outside play but most are business as usual

Made the first trip of the year to North Carolina and played Bermuda Run East which is in the Winston Salem area. Solid track on a hilly piece of land. It is located in a housing development but I do not recall any homes that encroached on play. And parts of the course wind into land without homes. There were a lot of fairway bunkers that seemed to frame your view of the fairways or ask you to gamble to clear some of them. You can see an example of the fairway bunkers below. Every bunker I was in, fairway or greenside, were in excellent condition. There were a number of doglegs, although most were subtle. One dogleg tempted you to cutoff a lake which my son did with ease with a bomb of a drive. The rough was cut very short. The greens were in outstanding shape. However, I am not used to playing on Bermuda so it took me a while to figure them out and I suffered several three puts and short chips. The driving range was the only disappointment as it was significantly downhill and the grass was very thin. Pace of play was outstanding! Here are some pictures.

7C158E2T33EQ.jpg

RUU3OZGA19K8.jpg

AXDHT1Q788WS.jpgUp next is a trip to Colorado. And for those that are complaining about the benefits during the pandemic, I understand. So what you need to do is get out there and travel and take advantage of some fun golf and dining.

• Like 1

I hope you realize that the air inside an airplane is recirculated all throughout the entire plane. If one sneezes or coughs up front and you’re in the back you WILL get that air back in your face. You’re r also dealing with passengers who could be from all over the world so no, I’d rather be my local supermarket than on a plane.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wrapped up the Colorado golf trip and played three rounds. I will review each course in separate posts.

First up is Blackstone Country Club in Aurora, Co. This course is in a housing development with what looks to be a magnificent clubhouse overlooking the range with views of the mountains in the distance. Unfortunately we were not able to enter the clubhouse due to the pandemic. Staff were very friendly and helped us to understand the course. Range was very nice.

For the most part, the fairways were not that wide but the rough seemed to be cut down and did not offer a lot of penal shots out of it. Bunkering was moderate. Playing surfaces were excellent and in great shape. Greens were in fantastic shape but many of the putts were flat. We played with a member during another round at Black Bear and they called it Flatstone.

For it being in a housing development, the routing seemed to be good and it flowed. The front nine was relatively moderate in challenge, but the back is a bear. Holes 13-16 are called the Gauntlet. An arroyo that runs through the course is used extensively and creates a lot of target golf. Do yourself a favor and study the course on google maps before playing.

The only negative is that on some holes the houses were very close. Never hit into them but there was a lot of noise from those houses. Dog barks, kids laughing, and radios blaring. Took away from the experience. Overall a very nice course that was fun to play while being a challenge on the back nine. I would play again.

blackstone1.jpg

blackstone.jpg

blackstone4.jpg

blackstone6.jpg

• Like 1

Up next on our Colorado trip was The Aspen Glen Club, a Nicklaus track in the mountains. The club is about a 3 hour car ride from Denver but the trip was worth it. The scenery along the drive is incredible and it was one of the top scenic routes I have been on. The golf course is also worth the drive. One of the best I have played in the ClubCorp portfolio.

This course is located in a very exclusive housing development but the houses never encroach and are set back. The course flows very well and the routing is excellent. Fairways are very wide on many holes. The bunkering can be heavy on some of the holes, especially around the greens. The greens are very challenging with fast putts that have subtle and not so subtle breaks. All playing surfaces were in great condition. Again, some of the best I have played on.

The course scenery is incredible. The course meanders near a river and even incorporates it on a few holes. We saw someone catch a fish off in the distance. But the best views are of the mountains, in particular the snow capped Mount Sopris. Easily the most scenic golf course I have ever played.

There is another reason that I enjoyed this course; I scored a hole in one on hole #14! To do so on such a great course is fantastic. We did celebrate on the patio overlooking Mt. Sopris but the bar was shut down due to the pandemic.

I would love to return to this course and spend some more time in the area. The town where we stayed overnight, Glenwood Springs, is famous for the hot springs.

ag1.jpg

ag2.jpg

ag6.jpg

ag12.jpg

ag20.jpg

• Like 1

And the final course on our trip was the Black Bear Golf Club in Parker, CO. It is a short drive from Blackstone CC. This was my least favorite course on the trip.

This is another course in a housing development. First, the driving range is significantly uphill. The routing of the course a bit unique and confusing to follow. Fortunately it was well signed. There were several very long drives so the course did not really flow well.

Conditioning was not very good. Apparently it did not come out of the winter in good shape. Many greens were being repaired so portions were top dressed with sand. One green was even closed and they used a temporary green. And the green speeds seemed inconsistent. However, I would give it another shot if I was in the area and conditions were better.

bb1.jpg

bb3.jpg

• Like 1

Anyone here interested in a $1500 Club Corp Gift Cert? Long story, but I was a member of a Club Corp club (Canyon Crest, CC in Riverside, CA) a long time ago. Evidently I paid an initiation deposit that is due to me in 3 years. Deposit was $3,000 and they offered me a $1500 Gift Cert right now, instead. I said, "Sure."

So now I have a $1500 Club Corp Gift Cert. LOL

Long-time member on this site. No Shenanigans. $1175, firm. Fully transferable. Can be used for cart fees, dining, booze, merchandise. PM me if interested. :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

We flew from Philly to Charlotte and then Denver and then reverse. We flew out on Memorial Day and back that Friday. Fortunately, I have status and on all flight got the upgrade. 3 of the 4 flights were full and I think they stated that there was no social distancing, which I took as many of the middle aisle seats were full. A lot of businesses need our support right now including golf courses, restaurants and the airlines.

• Like 1

interesting. i'd never used it but that was a big benefit for me when i was able to travel for work, knowing if some free time popped up i could swing in a round without lugging my clubs along. Surprised they are able to change benefits given you commit to a 12 month period with them where there is a cancellation fee.

I can see if this was going to be just while COVID was going on, but it's for good? Happy I cancelled when I did in March. With all my travel for work essentially cancelled for most of the year, and was going to lean on this ^^^ so I didn't have to bring clubs.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*