Sarasota Trip Follow-Up, Univ. Park, Sarasota Nat., and Waterlefe

Pearson10M

Just got back from Sarasota for a long weekend golf getaway. Played University Park, Waterlefe, and Sarasota National. Here is my take on conditions, amenities, playability, and staff.

I am a relatively new golfer that shoots around a 100 for 18 and play about 60X a year.

For All Courses - Excellent and friendly staff from start to finish. Conditions very good to excellent. Great on course amenties. Pavilions with working real his/her toilets, ice machines and water machines (with cups). You CANNOT walk any of these courses unless you want to finish in 6 h and walk 6 miles. I don't think they would let you anyway. All had free range balls with the greens fees.

University Park - Wide open fairways, pretty true but fast greens. Fairways well maintained and very green with no real evidence of lack of water (burnt) or overplay. Of all three course mentioned, the "least" challenging (relative). Greens were fairly true and fast, but had more than a normal amount of "sand" in/on them. Don't know if this affected play, but my playing partner made the comment. Nice course flow, most compact of the three courses. We played holes 1-9 and 19-27 for our 18 in just over 4 h with some waiting on a few holes. Fun course and I definitely would play again.

Waterlefe - Most challenging of the three (relative). Water come into play on all holes. This is a target golf course that requires good shot placement. Shots which looked good sometimes rolled out of view and into a water hazard. I lost 8 balls. Greens were the worst (relative) of the three that I played. Some small brown patches. Fairways were fine. Greens were very challenging. Lots of subtle reads and fast.

Course layout is confusing and all over the place. Spread out amongst a neighborhood and marina and river. I never knew where I was relative to the clubhouse or other holes. Of the three, only course with carts having GPS with a lot of information with respect to distance to hazards, pin, etc. You may need to play here a few times to learn where to place your shot. The only negative thing, and it is just nitpicking, is that I ran out of sunscreen and went to buy some at the ProShop after the first 9, but they didn't have any. They did give me a spray can of some that I could borrow/use for a quick apply. Would play again, but would first explore some other courses in the area. 18 holes in 4.5 h with some waiting.

Sarasota National - This was my favorite course of the three, less challenging than Waterlefe, but more challenging than University Park. Conditions were excellent on all levels. Spread out more than University Park, but more compact than Waterlefe. Some very fun holes and terrain. Lots of wide open fairways, but still some target shots required on green approaches. This course had more of a Links Course feel than the others. Of the three, only course that had coolers on the carts. Definitely will play again if in the area.

For each course, we paid about $85-100/pp for a round of 18 in high season (February)

You can't go wrong with any these in my opinion. All are great plays in the area.

My 3 favorite right there!!!! Next time your down check out rosedale and heritage harbour great courses. Waterlefe is a tough track. I HATE THE 15TH PAR 3

Piggybacking onto this thread. Amongst the 2 courses you recommended(Rosedale and Heritage Harbour) where would you rank River Strand in there along with University Park? Thanks.

My 3 favorite right there!!!! Next time your down check out rosedale and heritage harbour great courses. Waterlefe is a tough track. I HATE THE 15TH PAR 3

Piggybacking onto this thread. Amongst the 2 courses you recommended(Rosedale and Heritage Harbour) where would you rank River Strand in there along with University Park? Thanks.

been here since July This is one course I have yet to play. Ive heard good things. played Misty Creek CC today. They have some of the best greens. Just played Sara Bay last week with my friend who is a Web.com member. HOLY BAT s*** thats a brutal course..

been here since July This is one course I have yet to play. Ive heard good things. played Misty Creek CC today. They have some of the best greens. Just played Sara Bay last week with my friend who is a Web.com member. HOLY BAT s*** thats a brutal course..

Will be staying in Anna Maria so those last few courses you mentioned will be a bit too far for my liking. Will hopefully get 2 rounds in and I remembered liking UP last time I was down but wanted to try somewhere else.

I will be heading to Siesta Key in April and am looking for a couple nice courses. It seems there is a "Sarasota National" , and a "Sarasota National Golf Club" that are very close together.

Which one are you referring to? How did you make a tee time? Just call the proshop? Thanks, any help would be appreciated

I will be heading to Siesta Key in April and am looking for a couple nice courses. It seems there is a "Sarasota National" , and a "Sarasota National Golf Club" that are very close together.

Which one are you referring to? How did you make a tee time? Just call the proshop? Thanks, any help would be appreciated

https://www.sarasota...olf.com/. They both have the same phone number and refer to the same place. We booked through GolfNow a few days before we left (Friday for Wednesday play), but I would call the proshop or go through their online Tee time website. I think the online sign-up can only be a few days in advance.

Eat sandwiches from Anna's on Siesta.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Eat sandwiches from Anna's on Siesta.

We went last year! Will definitely be back this year

Sarasota national is south in Venice ( nice course ).

Closer and as nice is stoneybrook. Off of central sarasota pkwy. 10 minutes from south bridge of siesta. While your on siesta eat at Clayton's siesta grill. Clayton might invite you golfing if you get talking to him.

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...

I live local in this area and play these courses regularly. I will tell you that waterlefe has never been one of my favorites but it’s cheap in the summer so we play it occasionally. I love university and Sarasota national though. Next time your down if you want more courses on par with the ones you mentioned give Lakewood National, Esplanade, and river strand a go. Rosedale is right next door to my neighborhood, not a huge fan of it, people there always seem like it’s a bother for non members to be playing it and the course has never been in as good condition as you would expect for the money they charge. Heritage Harbor (used to be called Stoneybrook) is another to avoid, it’s a wide open course on most holes but the condition does not match the price paid. I will say they are at least friendly there though. I’ve also heard good things from friends that are members at IMG golf course lately. Glad you enjoyed your trip to our area!

Titleist             TSR3 10* w/ Tensei 1k white
Callaway       Apex 19' 3 hybrid w/ Nippon GOST tour stiff

NCW                Tour Department DW mid muscle MB 4-PW w/ Modus 105 S
Vokey            SM8 50f, 56s, 60m
Bettinardi       Studio Stock 17

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Just found this forum & have plans to tour Lakewood National at the end of February. I was planning on playing at either Royal Lakes/Cypress Links or Kings Dunes. My intent is to look at relocating to the area or further south.

Can you give me any details about the courses listed? I was told membership includes access to all 3 courses. I'm a 10 handicap & looking for something upper tier and has the social amenities.

I'm not sold yet on TPC Presentcia or University Park. Meadows looks interesting with 36 holes but I read about debt service issues

I'd appreciate any info on this area.

Just found this forum & have plans to tour Lakewood National at the end of February. I was planning on playing at either Royal Lakes/Cypress Links or Kings Dunes. My intent is to look at relocating to the area or further south.

Can you give me any details about the courses listed? I was told membership includes access to all 3 courses. I'm a 10 handicap & looking for something upper tier and has the social amenities.

I'm not sold yet on TPC Presentcia or University Park. Meadows looks interesting with 36 holes but I read about debt service issues

I'd appreciate any info on this area.

I’m a member at tpc. We like it , but joined after we moved. Lakewood ranch cc Which is the courses you mentioned is very nice and reasonably priced. If I was moving somewhere for a country club lifestyle without breaking the bank, that would be it.

very nice golf - 3 courses, tennis , good dining etc. nice area.

we have looked at and played most of the private clubs down here. Pm if you want more specific info on the area and if you want to play when you’re here.

That is the 1st option......The attraction to Lakewood is the number of courses with the membership. I know there are many doors but the max membership should allow 4 rounds per week without issue (hopefully!).

Only in the Sarasota area for 3 days to check out communities but would return in May/June to check out other communities/CC's.

• 2 years later...

Reviving this a bit, headed to Venice in November and looking to play 2 rounds. Willing to drive 45 min. Here are a list I have put together from multiple threads. Any advice or other courses? I have access to private clubs as well if there are some great ones to look at.

Legacy

Lake Venice Golf Club

Serenoa

Bent Tree

University Park

Gator Creek

Sara Bay

Sarasota National

Forget Bent Tree - rough shape, and just not in the same league as some of the others.  Pelican Pointe has 27 holes which is nice.  If money is no object, then try to get to Concession.  

Ping G430 10K w/ Chrome Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Ping i525 6-PW Project X IO
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*
LAB Mezz Max 

Alphard V2 wheels

42 minutes ago, cfmgolf said:

Forget Bent Tree - rough shape, and just not in the same league as some of the others.  Pelican Pointe has 27 holes which is nice.  If money is no object, then try to get to Concession.  

Great, thanks I will cross it off. I was actually checking with our shop on chances of Concession. I wasn't sure how hard it was to get on or price point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 11:19 AM, canonlbp430 said:

Reviving this a bit, headed to Venice in November and looking to play 2 rounds. Willing to drive 45 min. Here are a list I have put together from multiple threads. Any advice or other courses? I have access to private clubs as well if there are some great ones to look at.

Legacy

Lake Venice Golf Club

Serenoa

Bent Tree

University Park

Gator Creek

Sara Bay

Sarasota National

Gator Creek and Sarasota National or Sara Bay.