Callaway Apex CF19 Smoke Irons

takingitdeep

I have already received my irons in the smoke finish. I did get the Apex Pro, but I do not think that the model (Pro vs CF19) would make much of a difference. Mine were all ordered upright and the finish shows no signs of issues.

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

Well I got lucky as my go to Golf Shop in Sheffield (Sheffield Pro Golf) had a set in my specs, so I just popped in and picked them up. The heads were still with the plastic on, I use iron covers and before taking them home I put the iron covers on to stop any damage on the way home.

When I got home I unwrapped them. When i took the plastic off the 8 iron there was a large ding in the back cavity which to be fair could not be seen with the plastic on. It is right on the edge and the smoke finish appears to be coming off. I took a picture and sent it straight to the shop for them to raise the issue with Callaway.....

Callaway have responded and said I must send the 8 iron back for them to inspect before they do anything, which to put it mildly has annoyed me. Now I have to be without my 8 iron and as I do not have any back up sets, I will be without a 8 iron till they sort it out.

Now i must say the irons are stunning both to look at and in performance, I am getting even better numbers than my Taylormade P790's so I can not fault them on performance. However with what you describe above have they tested these thoroughly before bringing to market, although my problem is not related to bending, mine was just poor quality control, or they were damaged in transit to the golf shop.....

If you buy a new premium car you expect it to be dent free on delivery, for me the Callaway Apex Smoke irons are premium and surely should be perfect when you take delivery...

I was considering the Pros in the smoke finish, but now I’m not so sure.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I confirmed today because of bending they can't figure out how to adjust lofts without marking up irons and replacing them...hmmmm I guess they should of checked this prior to taking orders??!

I am being told the remaining part of my set is 4-6 weeks !! I am without irons this is unreal!

I have tournaments and mens club and have no irons, I can't believe this after pre ordering them and they guaranteed me to be here on time no delays.

Sucks for everyone I guess

Is the smoke finish the same as the apex black finish? The apex black finish looked great for two rounds and then they looked beat. I've had the Cobra FTB irons for a year now and they look fantastic still. The DBM treatment they use is so solid and durable.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

I confirmed today because of bending they can't figure out how to adjust lofts without marking up irons and replacing them...hmmmm I guess they should of checked this prior to taking orders??!

I am being told the remaining part of my set is 4-6 weeks !! I am without irons this is unreal!

I have tournaments and mens club and have no irons, I can't believe this after pre ordering them and they guaranteed me to be here on time no delays.

4-6 weeks? WTF! I wasn't told that!

Yeah he gave me some story about replacing too many heads and working with the team to figure out a new way to bend them...but whats the point if the finish is that bad when you use them its going come off, om going try and see if they can jus build mine in satin and return the 3 black they sent

Yeah he gave me some story about replacing too many heads and working with the team to figure out a new way to bend them...but whats the point if the finish is that bad when you use them its going come off, om going try and see if they can jus build mine in satin and return the 3 black they sent

I am worried about the finish too. What a cluster!

I was under the impression that they were touting a new process, to get the smoke finish on the clubs, that was supposed to increase the durability.

Certainly, does not seem to be the case and now I am worried about the finish as well.

Guess that's what I get for listening to manufacturers hype!!

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

I just received an email from 2nd swing and they were told 3 weeks is the estimated ship date. Glad I am not in a warm climate!

Well I suppose that's better than it could have been..... still wonder if they rushed these to market as last time with the CF16's the black edition came out a lot later than the Satin finish.....

I guess they should have figured it out before the decided to go with a smoked finish in the first place. That's a lot of money to spend on a set of irons to have them marked up before they are even played.

I guess they should have figured it out before the decided to go with a smoked finish in the first place. That's a lot of money to spend on a set of irons to have them marked up before they are even played.

Exactly, no idea how but mine showed up today they shipped the remaining 4 irons all excited until we unboxed them to see silver marks all over from bending and scratches and almost ever iron on the digital loft machine was 1-3* off in lofts as well as lies SMH, i called them and they had great service and are rebuilding the set but orders are into april and may now they said. Disappointed for sure, great service but not happy about my situation

Called Callaway and was told my order wouldnt ship till the end of March because of QC issues a batch of heads that came in. So I canceled my order and may go back to the Cobra FTB irons.

I don't think Cobra is really getting credit for the products they are putting out there. I have the F9 and it is great. I had picked up the original black Apex and they looked like they had been in a tumbler after one round. Cobra evidently is the only ones to have that finish mastered.

LOLOLOL!! I can not believe this thread. People bitching about some marks on the hosel or sending a club back because of a little bare spot on the edge of the cavity.

I have to believe that none of the people posting have ever had a “black” or “smoke” finish Callaway product. The coating has absolutely no durability at all. By FAR the worst in the business. I can’t believe they even offer it. It looks like hell in only a few rounds.

If you people are sending clubs back for these tiny imperfections you will HATE these golf clubs and might actually have a stroke worrying about the finish degrade every time you swing them.

My strong advice to anyone reading this that has ordered, or is considering ordering these clubs: If any of these posts regarding sending back clubs because of hosel marring or finish damage seems reasonable to you, DO NOT BUY THE SMOKE FINISH. You will absolutely be disappointed.

LOLOLOL!! I can not believe this thread. People bitching about some marks on the hosel or sending a club back because of a little bare spot on the edge of the cavity.

I have to believe that none of the people posting have ever had a “black” or “smoke” finish Callaway product. The coating has absolutely no durability at all. By FAR the worst in the business. I can’t believe they even offer it. It looks like hell in only a few rounds.

If you people are sending clubs back for these tiny imperfections you will HATE these golf clubs and might actually have a stroke worrying about the finish degrade every time you swing them.

My strong advice to anyone reading this that has ordered, or is considering ordering these clubs: If any of these posts regarding sending back clubs because of hosel marring or finish damage seems reasonable to you, DO NOT BUY THE SMOKE FINISH. You will absolutely be disappointed.

Think your comments are ill informed, if you read what i put i said they were delivered not perfect. I have no issues with the finish showing marks.... I just expect them to start perfect and not with a lump out of the back......!!!!!

Think your comments are ill informed, if you read what i put i said they were delivered not perfect. I have no issues with the finish showing marks.... I just expect them to start perfect and not with a lump out of the back......!!!!!

You are totally missing my point. Without a picture I have no idea how severe the “damage” was you are actually talking about, but I’m imagining a miniscule bare spot that didn’t get “smoked” in the deposition process.

What I’m trying to say, is If that bothered you enough to send the 8 iron back to be exchanged, I can not imagine you will be happy with the clubs as you use them. They are going to look terrible and have bare spots and scrapes and scuffs all over them in a half a dozen rounds.

Callaway should not be selling black or “smoked” clubs. They don’t know how to do it. If you really want black clubs buy Cobras.