Callaway Apex CF19 Smoke Irons

takingitdeep

Callaway is obviously having issues with the finish. I agree that black finishes are expected to wear over time, and I'm sure anyone who purchases black irons understands that. As great as the black Cobra irons are, the finish still show wear over time.

However, if I pay over a grand for a set of irons (or any item for that matter) I expect them to arrive in new, pristine condition. If the finish is compromised after that through normal use, then I accept that.

In my experience bending black irons, it is common for the brass jaws on bending bars to leave marks on the hosels. Normally a little scrub with a Scotch Brite pad makes them disappear without affecting the original finish. If Callaway is using something other than brass for bending irons, that may be where the problem lies.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I must be a weirdo then.

An iron is a tool that hits a ball off the ground and is designed to be abused.

If I had one club in a set with a tiny manufacturers blemish in the finish on the back of the head that I couldn’t see at address I wouldn’t care a lick about it.

They are going to look like hell in no time anyway. No big deal me. It’s like a new hammer having a little scuff on it. Oh well.

Called Callaway and was told my order wouldnt ship till the end of March because of QC issues a batch of heads that came in. So I canceled my order and may go back to the Cobra FTB irons.

I don't think Cobra is really getting credit for the products they are putting out there. I have the F9 and it is great. I had picked up the original black Apex and they looked like they had been in a tumbler after one round. Cobra evidently is the only ones to have that finish mastered.

I have the F9 too and its a great club, I also already had the Cobra FTB irons and they are also great clubs. The finish is fantastic on them.

Callaway is obviously having issues with the finish. I agree that black finishes are expected to wear over time, and I'm sure anyone who purchases black irons understands that. As great as the black Cobra irons are, the finish still show wear over time.

However, if I pay over a grand for a set of irons (or any item for that matter) I expect them to arrive in new, pristine condition. If the finish is compromised after that through normal use, then I accept that.

In my experience bending black irons, it is common for the brass jaws on bending bars to leave marks on the hosels. Normally a little scrub with a Scotch Brite pad makes them disappear without affecting the original finish. If Callaway is using something other than brass for bending irons, that may be where the problem lies.

Totally agree.

I canceled my order because its just too much to pay for irons that I suspect have a substandard finish on them and that's after waiting who knows how long for them to arrive. Patience is NOT one of my virtues. So, moving on.

Am I the only person who doesn't care about wear on clubs? It's what friction does fgs.

Driver face - marked

Hybrid faces - marked

Hydropearl finish on wedges - worn off on the sole

White paint lines on putter face - some missing

None of it bothers me in the slightest

From normal wear and tear, of course not, it happens. Pretty sure everyone knows that. When its a QC or manufacturing issue, no thanks. If the finish is going to come off just from looking at it the wrong way they need to figure out how to properly do it or dont do it at all.

I have a set that I have played five rounds with-they look fine!! Also, ordered from callaway 2 degrees up, and no bending marks at all!!

Can you share pictures? My set came in and do not show any marks from being bent 1* up, but its way too cold in Ohio for me to have hit them yet.

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

I have a set that I have played five rounds with-they look fine!! Also, ordered from callaway 2 degrees up, and no bending marks at all!!

Can you share pictures? My set came in and do not show any marks from being bent 1* up, but its way too cold in Ohio for me to have hit them yet.

Oh come on now. Go find yourself a covered heated range and go hit those things! ; )

I must be a weirdo then.

If I had one club in a set with a tiny manufacturers blemish in the finish on the back of the head that I couldn’t see at address I wouldn’t care a lick about it.

They are going to look like hell in no time anyway. No big deal me. It’s like a new hammer having a little scuff on it. Oh well.

I see your points and don't disagree that golf clubs are tools and are going to show signs of use.

To me its like purchasing a new car and when they bring it out of the detail shop for me to take possession and I see scratches or "damage" on the body that weren't there before it went in for detail. Then the salesman says "don't worry about those scratches, its a car and its meant to be driven on roadways where rocks and debris will likely cause that same damage over time. Its just a tool used to get you from point A to point B so just ignore any damage we caused".

No, sorry. I just paid a lot of money for a NEW car and I want the car to look NEW. I want to be the one to inflict any "damage" in the future.

PXG Bat Attack H

I'll put some up later tonight.

I must be a weirdo then.

I see your points and don't disagree that golf clubs are tools and are going to show signs of use.

To me its like purchasing a new car and when they bring it out of the detail shop for me to take possession and I see scratches or "damage" on the body that weren't there before it went in for detail. Then the salesman says "don't worry about those scratches, its a car and its meant to be driven on roadways where rocks and debris will likely cause that same damage over time. Its just a tool used to get you from point A to point B so just ignore any damage we caused".

No, sorry. I just paid a lot of money for a NEW car and I want the car to look NEW. I want to be the one to inflict any "damage" in the future.

My point exactly, I'm weird on aesthetics and cleanliness and take care of everything I own, if I wanted beat up clubs for $1,400 I'd buy rusty beat PXG or something but for the price I expect them to be perfect and not marked and scratched. It's 2019 I am sure they can contact the right distributors and make sure the finish doesn't come off that easy. Mine looked bad.

ALSO, for anyone ordering to specs....CHECK THEM!

I ordered mine 1-2* strong and standard lies. HMMMM we put them on the digital loft machine I was blown away. Every single club was 1-3* upright and 1-3* off in lofts, they literally didn't hit a single one correctly, NOT ONE. Coming from MExico I have to wonder if their facility down there even checks or has the ability for QC for orders, I am not happy about my order. I play to a +1 currently and 1-3* in lofts and expecially in lies makes a HUGE difference in where my ball goes.

I must be a weirdo then.

I Guess everyone is different about their priorities. I see what you’re getting at, but I’d never be able to compare a car and a golf club. I’m a car guy and my first business was high end auto detailing. I was getting $100 a car in the 80’s as a high school kid.

I’ve repainted entire hoods and bumper covers on my own cars for a few water spots or rock dings so cars probably isn’t the best comparison for me.

I confirmed today because of bending they can't figure out how to adjust lofts without marking up irons and replacing them...hmmmm I guess they should of checked this prior to taking orders??!

I am being told the remaining part of my set is 4-6 weeks !! I am without irons this is unreal!

I have tournaments and mens club and have no irons, I can't believe this after pre ordering them and they guaranteed me to be here on time no delays.

Sucks for everyone I guess

Honestly, if you had tournaments coming up, I’d at least want to ensure I had the sticks I’ve gamed prior to my new set arriving, then I’m covered worst case.

I’ve preoredered many things and most show up late but occasionally you get it a few weeks early somehow, luck of the draw of how a company forecasts and manages their inventory, and some that can’t keep up with demand.

I must be a weirdo then.

I think his point is that nobody has a right to complain if Callaway instantly refunded the money to anyone who asked. Its unreasonable to expect a company to never have issues. If they respond to these (to be fair, incredibly minor issues) with a full refund no questions asked, I'm not sure how you could fault the company. Stuff happens and they're cleaning it up as best they can.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I must be a weirdo then.

I think his point is that nobody has a right to complain if Callaway instantly refunded the money to anyone who asked. Its unreasonable to expect a company to never have issues. If they respond to these (to be fair, incredibly minor issues) with a full refund no questions asked, I'm not sure how you could fault the company. Stuff happens and they're cleaning it up as best they can.

I do agree with that I think their service has been great to everybody and helping with the situation like with mine they simply offered to rebuild the entire set let me play with the current ones and ship them back free of charge so it was a great solution it's just unfortunate having to wait and dealing with the specs that Far off

I must be a weirdo then.

I don't think that was his point at all. His point was what is the problem with a few scuff and scratches on a brand new set of irons straight from the factory when we are just going to take them out and put scuff and scratches on them through the course of normal play.

I think everyone on this forum knows how great Callaway's CS is. But to me this discussion hasn't really been about how good or bad of a job Callaway is doing to fix the situation, its more about why the situation with the Smoke finish exists. If the finish wasn't damaged so easily, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

PXG Bat Attack H

I must be a weirdo then.

I don't think that was his point at all. His point was what is the problem with a few scuff and scratches on a brand new set of irons straight from the factory when we are just going to take them out and put scuff and scratches on them through the course of normal play.

I think everyone on this forum knows how great Callaway's CS is. But to me this discussion hasn't really been about how good or bad of a job Callaway is doing to fix the situation, its more about why the situation with the Smoke finish exists. If the finish wasn't damaged so easily, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

Yes. Discussion has veered off track. WHY IS CALLAWAY INCAPABLE OF MAKING A DURABLE DARK FINISH?

I don’t think we will know outside of a Callaway employee telling us why they are failing at something.....which won’t happen.

Yes. Discussion has veered off track. WHY IS CALLAWAY INCAPABLE OF MAKING A DURABLE DARK FINISH?

I don’t think we will know outside of a Callaway employee telling us why they are failing at something.....which won’t happen.

Out of curiosity, which club has a durable dark finish? In my experience, they all wear terribly.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Out of curiosity, which club has a durable dark finish? In my experience, they all wear terribly.

The cobra forged Tec black irons

Cobra and Hogan. Diamond like coating is vastly superior to Cally or Taylor or PXG. Ping stealth is fair but not great.

Cally and TM coatings are embarrassing. Maybe this smoke will be better. Doesn’t sound good so far.

PXG Gen 2 might be better but Gen one “ Darkness” was bad.

I’m buying a set of these smokes no matter what. They’re beauties.

The wear doesn’t bother me. It will just show off my dime sized impact pattern in a few weeks instead of a few years! LOLOLOL!!

I must be a weirdo then.

AGREED its 2019, my Cobra FTB irons are bulletproof in black!!

ALSO, for anyone ordering to specs....CHECK THEM!

I ordered mine 1-2* strong and standard lies. HMMMM we put them on the digital loft machine I was blown away. Every single club was 1-3* upright and 1-3* off in lofts, they literally didn't hit a single one correctly, NOT ONE. Coming from MExico I have to wonder if their facility down there even checks or has the ability for QC for orders, I am not happy about my order. I play to a +1 currently and 1-3* in lofts and expecially in lies makes a HUGE difference in where my ball goes.

I recently purchased a set of satin Apex 19 at 1 degree flat from Callaway and shipment arrived from Mexico. I took it to a local shop for verification and 4-7 irons were 1.5 degrees flat and rest were standard lies. Terrible QC and not impressed, especially at the premium these irons are being sold at.