Ping I210 Long Term Reviews - Anyone?

twgolf78

Eagerly waiting on my i210s to come back from Ping, should be this week.  I had one round on them before sending them out to be built to my specs.... been playing lots of players CBs and have to say, even after one round and not fitting me properly, these are the easiest irons I have hit in a long time, LONG time.  They do feel a bit better than the 200s even if performance gains are minimal.  Really looking forward to getting these back out on the course, abnormally excited.

• Like 2

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Has anyone went from playing MBs/blades to the i210s? I've developed some interest in these lately along with some other player CBs. I do favor PING a lot so these are at the top of my list. I've been playing forged blades for the last two years but I kind of want to take a bit more "forgiveness" approach to my set up going into next year. I guess the two biggest things holding me back are the size profile and the feel. Hoping to hear some experiences, good and bad.

Edited by cflo2382

5 hours ago, cflo2382 said:

Has anyone went from playing MBs/blades to the i210s? I've developed some interest in these lately along with some other player CBs. I do favor PING a lot so these are at the top of my list. I've been playing forged blades for the last two years but I kind of want to take a bit more "forgiveness" approach to my set up going into next year. I guess the two biggest things holding me back are the size profile and the feel. Hoping to hear some experiences, good and bad.

I played Mizuno MBs and CBs (MP-57/54/68/60/64/5) for over 10 years before switching to i200s (w/ traditional lofts) 3 seasons ago. I wanted a little more forgiveness. I was looking at the Mizuno JPX line, but I didn't like the feel. I tried the Srixon CBs, but I couldn't get enough spin from them. 

The i200s did the trick. They'll never be mistaken for a forged MB, but they're good enough. Yes, they're larger than the MB/CBs, but not shovel-like. I like the fact that I picked up 10 yds of distance with the same lofts. The fact that practically every Ping staffer on the LPGA was playing them was a selling point given that my swing speed is similar. 

I do like the look of the 210s more, but the reviews I've read indicate that they spin a bit less than the 200s, and I need all the spin I can get, so the 200s stay in the bag for now. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

8 hours ago, cflo2382 said:

I have been playing the Ben Hogan Icons for the last couple months and they are a very forgiving blade, but a bunch of my playing partners are going the way of "more help"....  I saw a set of i210s at my local store used, but near mint and decided to pull the trigger.  I will say, the short irons, maybe 7 and down, do look a little bigger but still playerish enough.  The long irons will definitely show more mass and a touch more offset.  If you can get used to the look and focus on what you're actually trying to accomplish, the results will speak for themselves IMO.  One round out with the i210s and I was in love, it didnt feel like I mis hit one all day.  The i210s are surprisingly soft feeling, probably the softest Ping iron I have tried yet.  I have to get them out more, but I just don't see a downside yet.

• Like 1

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

8 hours ago, cflo2382 said:

I've found that the 4-iron I have of the 210s is fantastic; I simply have to focus on centre contact. The main problem for me is that the Blueprints are smaller. As such, they tend to have a centre strike on what would be the inner-third from the 4-iron. It's neither good nor bad; just something to be aware of depending on the size of your current blade, and if you combo. It's a progressive set, so this is a long iron issue. Good luck.

• Like 2

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Great irons.  Second round in the books and the i210’s are super easy to hit and accurate. It’s like throwing darts at the flags. Super impressed. 

Edited by jbandalo
  • Like 1

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 5W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

Question - does Ping "hard step" their DG120 shafts standard?

I have two sets; DG 120 TI S400 and DG 120 X100 and unless I am misreading the serial number it seems both are hard stepped. (4i has 39 listed as length of shaft in serial number...isn't standard 39.5 for 4i?)

One set I called Ping and asked them to look up the serial numbers - the shafts must have been changed because their system showed S300. The other set i havent called yet and certainly could be a similar situation with aftermarket change but seems weird I would randomly buy two sets that happen to be hard stepped. 

19 hours ago, Cachaulo said:

Question - does Ping "hard step" their DG120 shafts standard?

I have two sets; DG 120 TI S400 and DG 120 X100 and unless I am misreading the serial number it seems both are hard stepped. (4i has 39 listed as length of shaft in serial number...isn't standard 39.5 for 4i?)

One set I called Ping and asked them to look up the serial numbers - the shafts must have been changed because their system showed S300. The other set i havent called yet and certainly could be a similar situation with aftermarket change but seems weird I would randomly buy two sets that happen to be hard stepped. 

No, they do not.

Got mine back from Ping today... Had green bent to black, shortened a 1/2" and asked for swingweight to be adjusted if need be, also had them regripped with GP Tour Wraps.  Shipped from and to my local Roger Dunn all for $108.  I feel like that is a pretty good deal overall honestly.  The clubs were like new when I found them in the used section, still had plastic on the numbers of the clubs on the soles.... Taking them out tomorrow and will see how they are, really looking forward to it, some of the best feeling irons I have tried yet.  Yes, I said that and they ARE cast.

• Like 2

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

3 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

Got mine back from Ping today... Had green bent to black, shortened a 1/2" and asked for swingweight to be adjusted if need be, also had them regripped with GP Tour Wraps.  Shipped from and to my local Roger Dunn all for $108.  I feel like that is a pretty good deal overall honestly.  The clubs were like new when I found them in the used section, still had plastic on the numbers of the clubs on the soles.... Taking them out tomorrow and will see how they are, really looking forward to it, some of the best feeling irons I have tried yet.  Yes, I said that and they ARE cast.

That is officially a steal

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I have been playing the Ping S56 Irons since they came out and have attempted to replace them too many times to count. The latest attempts were with a combo set of Callaway Apex Pro 19 / Apex Mb....long irons went miles with a huge gap between 7mb and 6cb....not enough to knock out the consistency of the S56 even though they were longer. Next, a set of Srixon Z785. While this was one of the best feeling irons I have hit, they were a bit longer than my S56 but I could not get over the shape and let them on they merry way.

NOW, I purchased a set of i210s, for a couple of reasons. 1) for a bit of added forgiveness even though I have not problems hitting any of the S56 irons...but why not make the game a little easier.... 2) perhaps a little extra length (1/2 club?), hey, I'm not getting any younger.

So...a couple of range sessions and two rounds later, I'm not getting the warm and fuzzies like everyone else. I cannot seem to strike them quite as well (diff shafts, kbs vs PX LZ) therefore the consistency is off again. One thing I noticed on the set I purchased...they are blue dot, and appear to be 1/2" longer than my S56. From what I found online the lengths should be 36.75" (S56) and 37" (i210). Contemplating just letting them go.....or getting them adjusted to black dot and trim the butt end of the shafts and regrip.  

^^^  Hate to say it, but I am feeling the same.  First few rounds I loved them but the more I play with them the more I am feeling different things.   I'm not feeling super consistent with them as far as turf interaction goes as well as striking them all over the face... don't know what my problem is, but I think I'm going to take the Hogans back out and see how things go.  I feel like I get lazy with larger irons expecting them to do more of the work whereas the smaller player irons force me to focus and make a good swing.  IDK...

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

13 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

^^^  Hate to say it, but I am feeling the same.  First few rounds I loved them but the more I play with them the more I am feeling different things.   I'm not feeling super consistent with them as far as turf interaction goes as well as striking them all over the face... don't know what my problem is, but I think I'm going to take the Hogans back out and see how things go.  I feel like I get lazy with larger irons expecting them to do more of the work whereas the smaller player irons force me to focus and make a good swing.  IDK...

I’ve been battling this same thing myself looking to go more forgiving. Been playing Miura blades most of the season as well as Mizuno MP20 and Srixon 945. I’ve gotten myself down to a +0.5 and had a handful of great under par rounds but keep wondering if a little extra help would yield better results. I’ve played i210/200 in the past and agree about the long irons. I had trouble with the combo of high bounce and offset. I just picked up and built a set of T100 and they are the real deal. They’re tiny. They fully look like a blade but they’re super forgiving. MOI like an i210 but tiny shaved off sole and no offset. First time out with them yesterday - 15/18 greens and +3 in 8 Celsius with 2 three putts and two drops off tee shots (driver swing changes NOT grooves yet haha!). I hit a couple that I knew would not have been up with my blades and were pin high. 

The i210 is a great club and I agree it’s in lots of tour bags but they also have access to custom grinds or reduced offset etc - we don’t know what they’re really playing. I had much more success when I played the iBlade. Spun like crazy for me though. 

Edited by TigerInTheWoods
  • Like 1

Interesting comments. The previous couple posts is what I am finding. A few days ago I put the blueprint with ctaper against my i210 px lz and I was more accurate with the blueprint. It was easier to hit straight or with a draw, little knockdowns etc.

Is it possible the longer blade length is a bit harder to turn over? The CG is farther from the hosel?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sea-Hawks said:

Interesting comments. The previous couple posts is what I am finding. A few days ago I put the blueprint with ctaper against my i210 px lz and I was more accurate with the blueprint. It was easier to hit straight or with a draw, little knockdowns etc.

Is it possible the longer blade length is a bit harder to turn over? The CG is farther from the hosel?

If one puts any stock in Maltby MPF, the Blueprint is actually easier to hit than the i210. The BP has a lower COG, rear COG is about the same. i210 does have higher MOi, which I don’t care about on irons. 

I always look at C-Dimension. BP has sweet spot pretty much dead center on a smaller blade length. 

To me the wider sole plus high bounce on the i210 is the issue for some in terms of turf interaction. I don’t necessarily mind the bounce but when combined with a wider sole it seems like the effective bounce is even higher. Srixon has high bounce irons but the v-sole gives it a different feel. 

I’ve hit the Blueprints twice now and am surprised at how well I hit them. I really enjoy the feel of them, but I always lean toward solid over soft. They’re not mushy, more of a thumper. Feels like compression has occurred. 

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 2 months later...
On 1/9/2021 at 7:55 AM, Sdjm22 said:

How does the ping i210 compare to apex 19. I have Apex 19 with the standard vss shaft. The ping just look so good to the eye but with lockdown try to get fit is a nightmare. I’m not along hitter and struggle with the longer irons in the Apex and wondering if the slight different in lofts would help 

I have had both and would say the Apex are more forgiving but they do spin less. I think distance control with the i210 irons are better (Apex are not bad). I have power spec lofts on my i210s but the Apex were probably about a half club longer with the lower spin.  Feel is good on both (would give the edge to i210 just because of the muted sound gives a softer feel).  Honestly if I knew what I know now I would probably have not got rid of the Apex irons...but only because I don’t feel the i210s are any better for my swing.  They are really overall a tie in my eyes obviously each wins out in different characteristics.  I have a serious problem when it comes to golf clubs but it finally slowed down after I got the i210s and I still play them with no plans to change.

Edited by LHGolf4

I recently put my s55 irons back in the bag to give my i210s a break. For whatever reason, I get through the turf much better with the s55 iron which gives me better feel.  I am a half club shorter with the 55s but I don’t feel like I’m giving up anything from a forgiveness standpoint. 

I just don’t think the larger sole and more bounce of the 210  is a good fit for my steepish swing. 

Cobra LTD X

Titleist TSi2 3W

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Mizuno M Craft I or IV

On 8/4/2020 at 7:44 AM, Meerkat213 said:

I have been using the i210s since November of last year coming from Mizuno 900 JPX. Love the i210s. They’re a touch more forgiving and the feel is fantastic for a cast iron. I also own an older set of s55 irons and those are THE best feeling cast irons ever made (that I’ve hit). However, the s55 irons are a touch more demanding than the 210s...

S series vs. I series  - that’s been consistent for me with Ping over the years - S has always been just enough too much for my game but the i’s have been good - and the i210s have been wonderful - I’m waiting on some PXG 0311p to compare - I think the ping guy responsible for the i210 design moved to PXG and the 0311p looks remarkably like the i210 at address. But I’m intrigued by the PXG tech and perhaps a bit more forgiveness 

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up just pulling the trigger on these today with the Nippon Modus 120 shaft. Absolutely pumped. My 919 Tour's will be hitting the classifieds as soon as these arrive. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSI3 Fuji Ventus Blue TR 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 15* Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7X

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19* Graphite Design AD DI Hybrid 85x 

Ping i210 4-PW Nippon Modus 120X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 8F 56* 10S 60* 8M DG S300

Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5 BGT LE Stability Shaft

Titleist Prov1x

On 1/11/2021 at 7:04 PM, Break81 said:

Not sure about the APEX vs I210 but I know the lead time on custom build Pings are 3 months right now. 

I had a fitting in 2019 and chose i210 over Apex.

both clubs look and feel great. The Apex were about 5 yards longer, but the shot dispersion with the i210 was much better.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 9:38 AM, NJgolfer11 said:

I had a fitting in 2019 and chose i210 over Apex.

both clubs look and feel great. The Apex were about 5 yards longer, but the shot dispersion with the i210 was much better.

This sums up both company philosophies nicely.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

I have the i210's. IMO they are precision scoring instruments for the best players in the world.

I see some references for mid-handicappers and that is fine, people can play whatever they want. But they are superb for elite players.

For these reasons, as a 4 handicap, I choose the G series as my gamers. Less spin, less penalized misses. 

• Like 1

I have had i210s going on 3 years now and love everything about them.  Been a Ping guy my whole life and these may be my favorite of all time.  Still have my i3 blades which set the standard and have dabbled with most of the i series since but invested in these with the Steelfiber i110s 3 years ago, and the love affair remains strong.  While I am certainly intrigued by the next iteration if that is the i59 or whatever they are going to call it, I have recommended to all of my friends who are anxiously awaiting that release to pull the trigger on the i210s as they will not be disappointed.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1