s55 vs z785

I have a decision i need to make and i need help in deciding. And i know some of us frown at these threads because we all tell the other to JUST GO HIT IT. But the problem is i cant find any Srixon dealers near me. Therefore i have never held a z785 in hand, but i trust from reviews its a beautiful club and it performs... Price will NOT be a factor although the difference is pretty steep since one is 5 yrs old and the other is brand new. But lets just not put price into factor here because frankly i dont care. i might take it into consideration later, but for now i just need to know which set is "easier" to hit if that makes any sense.

And i understand the decision has to be made by me ultimately. But i just need some persuasion and some constructive comparison between the two, especially from people who have played both sets!

Is one more forgiving than the other?

Does one have a bigger sweet spot than the other ?

Is one easier to hit than the other ?

Head size comparison ? sole width? topline ?

are they pretty similar in distance ?( i will be playing either set with a 31/32 degree 7 iron, so the s55 will be bent strong) - i hit a high ball.

etc etc .

i play to 8 or 9. I usually shoot in the 80's with a handful of 76-79s over the span of a season depending on the course and my putting (my biggest weakness). If i dont 3 jack, theres usually a pretty good chance i will be within 77-82. i dont take huge divots, but im not exactly a sweeper. i def do not have a sweeper's swing either. I come down steep at times when i lose focus and stop paying attention. So forgiveness is def something i take much consideration.

so..... just give me anything that you got.

TS3/785/SM7/Juno
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If money is no object, why not just buy both and sell whatever doesn’t make the cut?

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Have you looked at the S55 vs the Z785? Are you Hunter Mahan?

No question you go with the Z785. 10 out of 10 times.

Cobra SZ 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I own the S55 and the Z745, not a direct comparison but the only major difference I see in them is distance. The 745s are longer, due to lofts I am sure but a purely struck S55 feels incredible and mishits are not all that punishing honestly. The S55 look a little more "player-like" in the longer irons especially but I find them to be forgiving and accurate. I have made a choice to commit to the 745s for now but could easily do the same with the 55s. My 55s have some play and show some wear but they still perform in every way like a new iron, that impresses me most about the Pings. I do like the thinner top line of the S55 and the finish is nice with no glare... but the extra distance in my 745sis something that helps me right now. If that is not an issue, it's honestly a tough call and I LOVE my 745s.

I know you said money is no issue, but if I had to choose right now, I would choose to go with a nice set of S55s and save the rest of the money towards something else, but that's me. I really don't think you can go wrong here. I apologize for the rambling.

Edit... J15s have blown up my prior commitments.

Titleist TSi2 9* Tensei AV 65 Raw White

Titleist 917f2 16.5* Diamana S+ 70s

Titleist 915h 21* Aldila Rogue black 85s

Titleist 718 CB 4-P PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM6 52/12F, SM7 58/8M

Ping Anser Milled 2 34"

I'd go Z785 but I'm also biased (waiting for my Z-Forged/785 combo to be delivered today). They are flat out amazing feeling and I've found very forgiving when testing (I'd say at least as forgiving as my MP-25s I had in my combo set before). The only thing I'd point out is the V-Sole. I'd say most people love it and it works for them (I'd count myself in that number for sure) but there are definitely some people who don't like it. That would be the only reason I'd say you could potentially prefer the S55 but assuming you're in the majority that the V-Sole works for I'd go that route all day.

I did a thread on "I keep going back to s55's" ... did it again this week

I have not hit the Srixy's but the s55's are very easy clubs to hit

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x Ping G400 7w 19.5* Diamana B 80s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki 82x Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 90s

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

I did a thread on "I keep going back to s55's" ... did it again this week

I have not hit the Srixy's but the s55's are very easy clubs to hit

They are. The V Sole is great but the thin sole on the S55 is also fantastic.. had trouble with the i20/25/200s but the S55 are great through the turf as well.

Ping Anser Milled 2 34"

my miss on the clubface is pretty eratic on some days from heel to toe but theyre not extreme on both ends. its usually just slightly on either the toe or heel. Will the s55's perimeter weighting and the tech in the cavity help more than the z785 ?

btw, can someone tell me the difference in the headsize ? does the s55 have a much slimmer topline and a slimmer sole too ? or are they similar ?

TS3/785/SM7/Juno

I’ve owned both, tried them both, sold the 785’s. There’s something about the s55. Once you play them, you remember them. These are both excellent irons, I always have been a Srixon fan, so this comes down to what you are looking for. In terms of forgiveness on thin or fat shots, edge to the v-sole. If you want something that is more surgical and gets in and out of the turf, advantage to S55.

I actually found the S55 more forgiving overall and a little easier for me to hit consistently. The 785 plays with a lot more bounce, no matter what the numbers say. And it feels very pure on center strikes.

S55 is crazy forgiving for toe misses

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x Ping G400 7w 19.5* Diamana B 80s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki 82x Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 90s

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

my miss on the clubface is pretty eratic on some days from heel to toe but theyre not extreme on both ends. its usually just slightly on either the toe or heel. Will the s55's perimeter weighting and the tech in the cavity help more than the z785 ?

btw, can someone tell me the difference in the headsize ? does the s55 have a much slimmer topline and a slimmer sole too ? or are they similar ?

Bottom sole is pretty thin on the 85. They are long though.

I haven’t hit the 785’s, but the S55’s are incredible. I used to switch irons in and out constantly, several different sets per year until I got the S55’s. Got them when they first came out, and never went to anything else. In fact, I bought a new set last year to replace them and am perfectly happy. As mentioned before, the toe forgiveness is silly on these clubs. There’s been several tones I mishit the ball and think it is going to come up short, but it goes just as far as when pured. Until you’ve experienced it, it’s probably hard to really fathom that.

Titleist 917 D3 8.5* (C1), GD Tour AD IZ 7tx <br /><br /><br /> Ping G400 14.5, GD Tour AD DI 8tx<br /><br /><br /> Titleist 718 TMB 2-iron, Tour AD DI <br /><br /><br /> Ping S55 4-PW, KBS Ctaper 125 S+<br /><br /><br /> PING Nome TR, 35" slight arc<br /><br /><br /> Ping Glide Stealth 50ss, 54ss, 60es

I have had the s55’s for years... I played a combo set of 945/745/545 last year. I’m back with the s55.. Srixon makes some great clubs, but the s55 is one of the best clubs ever, atleast in my opinion. Srixons are a club stronger loft wise, pretty forgiving and feel great, but they do not feel any better than the s55’s

Driver- TC Epic 440 with Hzrdus T1100<br />3-Wood- 13 Degree Ping stretch with Ping Tour 75x<br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 4-PW ) JPX 900 Forged with 110s Steelfibers - Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 Raw Low Bounce K grind ( 110 Steelfibers in all wedges same length shafts )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...

I've only ever heard good things about the s55. Just fitted into the 785 and was completely impressed, but seeing as I bought them I can see my own bias a bit. I'll assume you can't go wrong with either, but for a players iron, the 785 were very forgiving, pretty long, and beautiful to look down at. Just wish I would had the extra cash to spring for the steelfibers. What an amazing shaft.

Owned the 4-P S55 for a few years and sold them on for the Apex MB, because of a fitting determining my face closure rate would be better with them. The top line is thinner than 785, stainless steel wears well, feels forged (different good) and more forgiving on toe strikes with the tungsten. Long irons were where they stood out over everything else and probably why they are still popular. Soles would probably suit you better as it sounds like you typically pick it from the inside and get stuck once in a while. The Srixon is one of the best forged feelings available, but the V sole isn't great unless it's soft where you play. It bounces off the ground when it's firmer and that's not good for a sweeper. A well-made set of your favourite shafts and grips in these heads will make you smile and score your best.

SIM 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+, 46"
M5 15*, Graphite Design AD-DI 8X, 43"
PXG Gen 2 22*, Accra TZx M5, 40"

HMB 4i (22*) Modus 125X
MP20 5-P, Modus 130X
T20 50*7, 54*8,60*6 Modus Wedge 125
Toulon San Diego 33.5"
Srixon XV, or Tour BX/S 

Occasionally throw in a DI over the hybrid, 3i HMB (18*) KBS Proto 85X

The simplest solution here is to buy one of each demo iron and go to the range for a head to head comparison. I imagine it would be fairly easy to find one in your preferred shaft

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
Srixon Z U45 23 Utility
Srixon Z 765/965 5 - PW
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50 & 54
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi Toe 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
TaylorMade TP5

i own the 765 so not an exact comparison but the 765 is very forgiving, feels great and is the best iron set i ever owned

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

To keep this going and broaden the question, S55 vs any of the three Srixon Z7X5 models? Not looking for a one is definitively better than the other answer, just how do they compare?
S55 top lines are thinner... soles are a little narrower, blade lengths may be a touch longer. I own the 745s and S55... the 745s are longer distance wise and feel great but the S55 feel soft in their own right... two great irons, would be tough to pick only one. I think I actually get more consistent turf interaction with the S55s.

Ping Anser Milled 2 34"