Okay, so who's "playing" with the oldest irons set here??

golfware

Okay, so I'm hitting the new Srixon 701's and just LOVING them. Wow, what a great set of irons.

Then it had me thinking, as I look at my gamer's, and think... am I playing the oldest set of irons out there. Mind you, I don't think I'm playing the oldest set against some of the people that I've seen at the course... because I've seen some OLD sets of irons out there...

But how long have you been playing your irons?

My X-16 Pro Series have been in the bag since June 2004!! Man, 3+ years!!

Try as I might, I haven't been successful in knocking them out of the bag. I played the Adams Idea Pro Forged combo set for a month last winter, but decided I wanted to have more forgiveness.

So, are my irons the oldest "gamers" here??

I can't say the same for ANY of my other clubs. My wedges aren't old, my putter's only 2 months old, my driver is only about 4 months old.. etc... etc...

But with the new Srixon 701's... my X-16 Pro Series are starting to look over their shoulder... ha-ha-ha....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just put my high school set back in the bag...late 70's Wilson X-31's "Custom Forged". Had them regripped with GPTV's and plan to play them through the winter into next spring.

My beach set are newly shafted Toski Perfect Match with Nippon 950's. I've had those since the Burner Bubble shafts were popular because they had a knock off set of those originally...not sure how old that is, but I'm thinking 15+ years.

The MX-23's in my sig are probably heading out the door soon.

I'm still playing my Eye2s I got in 1988. That's 19 years playing with them, though I have changed shafts and grips.

Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/ Aldila Rouge Max 65S
Callaway BB 815 3-wood 14° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 665X
Callaway BB 815 hybrid 18° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 865X
Titleist T-MB 3 & 4 irons w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist SM6 52.08 and 58.04 w/ DG AMT Tour IssueX100
SC Select Newport 35" w/ Super Stroke Pistol GT
Bushnell Tour X / Garmin G8

On behalf of my brother who is not a member of this site, he plays my dad's old Ping Eye's, (not Eye 2's), circa 1980.

I think it's worth mentioning that my dad played the Eyes until 1996 when he switched to a set of Nicklaus irons with graphite shafts. He then played that set until this summer when I found a great deal on some Callaway X Tours. So.... I've been through more irons in 4 years than he has in almost 30. :russian_roulette:

TM 300's since 2003, never want to change either. Maybe to a set of Macgregor 1025m's or cm's w/ the same shaft, if I can find them for $120 or lower. I paid $110 for my sticks and they were 9/10 condition. Now it seems everyone wants top dollar for used clubs, back then they just wanted to get rid of them because they were collecting dust.

If I had a set that was collecting dust, I would RATHER see someone play well with them than to keep them myself holding out for an extra $50 - unless I was centimental or collecting/displaying.

JC

I am on my 3rd set of Hogan GCD's with the VFP gray steel shafts. I think they were sold from 94-97. The first set was replaced for one season with Ping I3's and then I went back to the GCD's (2nd set). That set was stolen along with the rest of my clubs when my car was stolen last October. Now I am on my 3rd set.

I have been playing Ping Eye 2s since '82. Also, unlike some, these are and have been the only irons I have used since I bought them. I also still use as my only fairways, the Ping wooden (real wood) woods that came with the Eye 2s. When was the last time you saw someone using wood fairways exclusively? Although I hated to, because of distance and forgiveness issues, I did give in to a metal driver about 10 years ago. I think the fact that I grew up hitting ash (real wood again, for the youngsters) baseball bats may have something to do with my stubborness to change. I'm 55 years old and they didn't have aluminum bats when I played ball. I never liked the feel or sound of aluminum bats. I also started golfing with wooden woods and found that I didn't like the sound or feel of metal woods either. There is just something pure about the sound and feel of real wood, whether it is hitting a baseball or a golf ball. I understand the compromises, but up until now they just weren't worth what I was giving up. For you young guys who have never done so, I strongly recommend spending some time with both a nice ash bat and some real wooden woods. I don't expect anyone to change to the old technology, but I promise you will be rewarded for your time. You will come away with two valuable gifts. The first is a beautiful, almost sensual feeling that originates in your fingers, hands and ears and moves like butter through your entire body, finally ending in your toes. The second gift is an appreciation of where the games we all love came from, at least from the prior generation or two. I guess the real oldtimers would tell me to try some gutta percha balls and wooden shafted clubs, but I think I'll leave it here.

Alas, with the passage of time (and longer courses) I have decided to give in to technology and get fitted for all new clubs., either this fall, before rotator cuff surgery, or in the spring, after rehab. I'm sure I'll add a good bit of distance and some forgiveness with the new fairways. I haven't lost much if any distance yet, but at my age it becomes inevitable at some point. The main reason for new irons is that I am becoming concerned that I may be losing some bite from groove wear, although I haven't noticed any. I also understand that the newer irons are longer because of, among other things, stronger lofts, although this is less important to me than the added length of the fairway metals. I love these old irons so much, I have resisted the change for years. I'm sure though, with new technology I'll be able to find clubs just as sweet or sweeter.

I'm finally taking this road that I have resisted for so long, albeit kicking , screaming and a little sad. I'm sure I'll love the new clubs, but I'll always have a soft spot for the old Pings, the first set I ever bought.

Not me.

But a friend still plays a set of 'V' groove Eye 2s that are getting on for 25 years old.

He also has a Ram Tom Watson sand wedge in beryllium that must be nigh on 20 years old and still going strong.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

Mine are from 1987

:russian_roulette:

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

I just have to let you know that I played last summer with irons that are older than me. I played my Dad's Wilson FG-17 blades for 3 months before I got mey CG2s. I had Rifle 7.0 in them. They are awsome! I just don't want to play them becasue they are more of a dad/son gift than clubs, but I felt I had to play them for at least a few months. But, I know he bought them before I was born.

I am still playing a circa 73-74 Australian blade iron that Spalding converted into the Top-Flite Professional Shark grind for Greg Norman. One of the purest looking irons you will even see.

I basically used these irons in college in the late eighties/early nineties. They have been reshafted once and tweaked on the loft/lie over the years. The loft and lies are still standard (traditional).