USGA PR team to Justin Thomas: "We need to talk"

ZNDavis

Padraig Harrington and Thomas Bjorn in defense of the new rules.

https://www.golfchan...se-rule-changes

and Breaking News from Jay Monahan...

https://www.golfchan...s-golf-pushback

The twitter responses on the Monahan memo tell us all we need to know on how Joe Public Golfer would play if the PGA Tour made its own rules.

Not saying the PGA Tour will do so, but I think the USGA should take note.

The vast majority of competitive golf is played by amateurs, governed by USGA/R&A rules. That isn’t going to change.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The twitter responses on the Monahan memo tell us all we need to know on how Joe Public Golfer would play if the PGA Tour made its own rules.

The vast majority of competitive golf is played by amateurs, governed by USGA/R&A rules. That isn't going to change.

It hasn't changed for over a century. That's how it's always been done. It can never change no matter which or how many influencers get mad.

-USGA

USGA Twitter guy has more work....

https://www.golf.com...our-golf-rules/

‘New rules are garbage’: Pro calls for PGA Tour to make its own rules

On Sunday, Kizzire attacked the caddie-alignment rule change in a tweet, writing, “Caddie accidentally being behind you at some point during your setup resulting in a penalty is asinine.”

In response, Landry tweeted that the PGA Tour is a “players tour” and that Tour pros should “fight to have our own rules and only follow the USGA and R&A once a year at our US Open and the Open.”

And now it starts. Wonder if the commish will sound in on this issue.

https://www.golfchan...nship-fractured

Furyk wasn’t alone feeling that way when he arrived at player dining Sunday morning.

“They have said they want to have a better relationship,” Furyk said. “That tweet sure doesn’t help things. I show up to breakfast this morning, and I’ll be honest with you, that’s all everyone was talking about, and it wasn’t real positive.

“You would never see the PGA Tour write that tweet. The USGA, they have a shield, and they stand for something. There’s a bar, and that tweet was below the bar. No matter why it was said, right or wrong, there are better ways to handle that situation.”

Zach Johnson, a two-time major champion, didn’t like the USGA response, either.

“I applaud J.T.,” Johnson said. “I think he said everything right, and then they blasted him”

Furyk, Johnson and other veterans have watched tensions grow over player frustration with U.S. Open setups the last decade. There’s disintegrating faith in whether the USGA can get the formula right again, especially after the debacle last year at Shinnecock Hills, where Phil Mickelson became so exasperated he risked disqualification by swatting a moving putt.

So much YES.

Are there ANY pros that have come out and said the new rules have really uncomplicated things or have greatly sped up play. I’ll wait?. OK, P. Harrington. Who??

The vast majority of competitive golf is played by amateurs, governed by USGA/R&A rules. That isn't going to change.

It hasn't changed for over a century. That's how it's always been done. It can never change no matter which or how many influencers get mad.

-USGA

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare.

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

-USGA

It's clear that your perspective on the game of golf is that it's a pro game that amateurs and the public play on occasion.

It's really the exact opposite: It's a game played and enjoyed by millions of recreational golfers.

Then there's a handful of pros who play for $millions on TV, but they're an aberration.

If you think that the pros define the game, then I can see how you get your opinions. But you're looking at it backwards.

Imagine if JT has gone on twitter and said " the USga is dodging me. We've scheduled 4 meetings in the last 3 weeks and they've no shown all of them. "

JT said:

I more so say things in hopes that the USGA starts communicating with the current players

"Starts communicating"?? Sure sounds like JT is saying exactly that, saying the USGA hasn't communicated with the players, and it needs to start. Then he says "Well, we actually HAVE talked quite a bit this year". I know, I paraphrased, but that was the essence of what he said. I do agree with you, though, its time for all of players and the USGA to take the argument out of the public eye. None of them look good, not Rickie, not Justin, not the USGA. And for Justin specifically, calling all of the rule changes "terrible" really is NOT in the best interests of the game.

The tweet today from Monahan seems to be a restatement of part of the Golf.com article linked, as so

How satisfied is PGA Tour leadership with the role the USGA gave them in the modernizing of the Rules of Golf? GolfChannel.com asked.

“The PGA Tour was invited into the discussions on the Rules of Golf from the beginning, and we felt we could play an important role in the process,” the PGA Tour responded in a statement. “We put forward a number of suggestions, and virtually all of these have been incorporated in the new rules that took effect January 1. We also said from the outset that additional tweaks would be needed, working with the USGA and R&A as we always have.”

And once again, it apparently is necessaryto point out the players had a years notice to learn the new rules. Obviously they couldn't be bothered. They chose to "learn as they go".

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

USGA Twitter guy has more work....

https://www.golf.com...our-golf-rules/

‘New rules are garbage’: Pro calls for PGA Tour to make its own rules

On Sunday, Kizzire attacked the caddie-alignment rule change in a tweet, writing, “Caddie accidentally being behind you at some point during your setup resulting in a penalty is asinine.”

In response, Landry tweeted that the PGA Tour is a “players tour” and that Tour pros should “fight to have our own rules and only follow the USGA and R&A once a year at our US Open and the Open.”

The players really should keep their mouths shut. Every time they open their mouth they stick their foot in it.

I'm surprised nobody pointed it out just how wrong Kizzire IS.

Oopsie. That ISN'T a penalty. :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Titleist Pro V1X

-USGA

It's clear that your perspective on the game of golf is that it's a pro game that amateurs and the public play on occasion.

It's really the exact opposite: It's a game played and enjoyed by millions of recreational golfers.

Then there's a handful of pros who play for $millions on TV, but they're an aberration.

If you think that the pros define the game, then I can see how you get your opinions. But you're looking at it backwards.

Nope. Not my perspective at all. Mine is the same as yours, save for my grasp on the reality that the pros playing for millions have more influence on the game as a whole than the USGA seems to recognize.

Is there an explanation for why caddies can't assist with lining up?

Also anyone have some insight on the process and used to draft the new rules? Were there any PGA tour players, past or present, assisting or formally consulted in the rewrite?

Here ya go BDP5 - https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/images/rules/rules-modernization/golf-new-rules/Explanation%20for%20Each%20Major%20Change%20in%20the%20New%20Rules%20of%20Golf%20for%202019%20(1).pdf

Titleist Pro V1X

-USGA

Pros do define the game. Everything we do is compared to the measuring stick you see on television.

This rule JT, Kizzire, and Andrew Landry are lamenting about was designed SOLELY for professional tours and very high level amateur events. This rule wasn’t written for those millions.

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

I'm really trying to figure out which of the new rules the pros seem to hate is the hardest to understand and comply with.

1. Pin in or out while putting.

2. Dropping from the knee instead of the shoulder.

3. Telling the caddie not to be behind the player when he's ready to line up for the shot.

Really tough choice but since #3 has the most words in it, it must be #3. :cheesy:

Titleist Pro V1X

Maybe that condescending tweet by the USGA will provide the impetus for the tour to make their own rules. It can't be that hard since most of the groundwork is already laid and I'm sure they'd like to have more control over the situation.

Personally, I'm less interested in the rules for pros and would really like to see a simpler and more common sense set of rules for amateurs. For instance, when taking a penalty stroke, just allow a player to place it. The "randomness" of a drop adds no enjoyment to the game when you're already incurring a penalty. In fact, I think all drops should be eliminated for the sake of simplicity

I can just see you on the side of the 18th fairway, match even, with your opponent 10 yards to the side of you in the rough.

You have mud on your ball and he's standing on a sprinkler head.

So he gets to "tee it up" in the rough, hits the middle of the green and your mud ball goes flying into the water right of the green.

Yeah, getting to place the ball instead of it falling down into the rough, especially Bermuda, is a great idea.

"Rub of the green", right ?

As for placing for a penalty and dropping for a freebie goes, guys, even the pros, can't remember ONE simple drop - you want them to remember 2 ? What's a matta you ?!?! :taunt:

Titleist Pro V1X

So is the PGA going to run a handicap system for am's with its new rules as well? If no then the hypothetical rules won't matter. And exactly what are these proposed changes they will make? Your caddy can line you up?

Exactly! A professional sports association cannot have their own separate governing rules. If they could, every professional sports league like the NFL/NBA/MLB would have their own separate rulebook. Not gonna happen in a million years.

This rule JT, Kizzire, and Andrew Landry are lamenting about was designed SOLELY for professional tours and very high level amateur events. This rule wasn't written for those millions.

Quick, you're playing the last hole at all square in a fourball match to win the calcutta at your club's Member-Guest. Your partner stands behind you while you're getting set up to hit to the green. Does the rule only apply to the Pro tours?

Nope, you lose the hole, the match, and all that money.

-USGA

Pros do define the game. Everything we do is compared to the measuring stick you see on television.

This rule JT, Kizzire, and Andrew Landry are lamenting about was designed SOLELY for professional tours and very high level amateur events. This rule wasn't written for those millions.

I'm pretty sure the rule was made because of the Ladies tour(s), and now juniors getting lined up by their caddies. But regardless of its origins, the rule applies to those millions (that's us, btw) just like every other rule.

The measuring stick I use is how I'm doing in the match I'm playing at the time. If I used the pros as some sort of yardstick I'd quit. I'm nowhere near a + handicap and neither is just about any other golfer!

So is the PGA going to run a handicap system for am's with its new rules as well? If no then the hypothetical rules won't matter. And exactly what are these proposed changes they will make? Your caddy can line you up?

Precisely. A whole new set of bifurcated rules for this? There aren't enough LOLs in the world....

Like the new drop height, pros will eventually remember this new rule and make sure they abide by it. It's not that hard. I've only had a caddie once in my life, so I'm not losing a lot of sleep over it.

If they wanted support they need to make the process truly open and transparent and over communicate the heck out of it. This is done by working closely with a broad spectrum of people whom not only love the game but make their living playing the game, which should naturally include tour pros past or present. This smells like they rewrote this largely as they wanted and input was perhaps window dressing. BTW I generally am supportive of the changes, but have suspicions about the method.

Honestly, I can't imagine how they could have made the process more open and transparent. They wrote drafts, circulated them more than a year in advance, asked for feedback from everybody. And they did change some things in between. IIRC, the original "drop" re-write allowed a drop from any height, which was then changed (based on feedback) to this silly knee-high scenario. I think the flagstick thing also changed a little from draft to implementation.

I don't think even Golf Channel would have put the Committee discussions on the air; but I'm not sure how they could have been more transparent.

Everyone in the corporate world knows faux transparency when they see it. Faux transparency is when you circulate your intentions and drafts a year in advance and you solicit everyone’s opinion via an online feedback mechanism. Then you pay zero attention to the feedback that is contrary to what you want to do, dismissing it as the bluster of cranks and know-nothings. Then you do what you want to do, and crow about how transparently and fairly you did it. And, to their credit, people that master the art of this process generally a) do what they want, and b) get paid millions for doing it. The USGA’s role in rules-making is a tiny, almost insignificant element of what the organization has become. It is a vehicle for inordinately large compensation and retirement packages for a small group of people and their board-level enablers. Someone splain to me how the head of the USGA should make more money than the CEO of a top children’s hospital. Because, you know, running a golf tournament and making some rules is high order bidness.

Somebody tell me I’m wrong, with the backdrop and context of the last 30 years of their actions.

Everyone in the corporate world knows faux transparency when they see it. Faux transparency is when you circulate your intentions and drafts a year in advance and you solicit everyone's opinion via an online feedback mechanism. Then you pay zero attention to the feedback that is contrary to what you want to do, dismissing it as the bluster of cranks and know-nothings. Then you do what you want to do, and crow about how transparently and fairly you did it. And, to their credit, people that master the art of this process generally a) so what they want, and b) get paid millions for doing it.

But they DID pay attention, and did revise a number of the draft rules after the feedback period. In case you weren't paying attention at the time, I can find the draft rules released in 2017 for you.

But they DID pay attention, and did revise a number of the draft rules after the feedback period. In case you weren't paying attention at the time, I can find the draft rules released in 2017 for you.

LOL Even the article written by the PGA Tour yesterday talked about how responsive the USGA was in making the changes they requested...

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Everyone in the corporate world knows faux transparency when they see it. Faux transparency is when you circulate your intentions and drafts a year in advance and you solicit everyone's opinion via an online feedback mechanism. Then you pay zero attention to the feedback that is contrary to what you want to do, dismissing it as the bluster of cranks and know-nothings. Then you do what you want to do, and crow about how transparently and fairly you did it. And, to their credit, people that master the art of this process generally a) so what they want, and b) get paid millions for doing it.

Look, see, they did pay attention. They threw a few things there that from the outset they knew they would change, all in the name of transparency and flexibility. The reason I can see that is that I was paying attention. Just like I was back in the Solheim litigation days.

A good boss that wants you to do three things won’t just give you three things to do. She will give you six things that need to be done, and the two of you will discuss and negotiate a compromise where you only have to do half of the things you’re given by the end of the week. You feel good because you negotiated a reasonable compromise from six down to three. She feels good because you’re going to do the three things she wanted you to do in the first place. That’s transparency and flexibility. And to some extent, leadership.

You know the old saying Dave, throw the dog a bone. I'm not even sure the USGA knows that golfers exist outside of amateur and professional tournament play. Of course I'm exaggerating . They know we exist. but they don't take us serious.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Exactly! A professional sports association cannot have their own separate governing rules. If they could, every professional sports league like the NFL/NBA/MLB would have their own separate rulebook. Not gonna happen in a million years.

So when you play football in your backyard is the tackle always eligible? Do you have five people on the line of scrimmage? How do you define a catch?

Of course they can have their own rules, but that's not going to matter to anyone playing a casual round of golf, or anyone that wants to keep a handicap, so basically, will apply to no one but pro golfers.

Look, see, they did pay attention. They threw a few things there that from the outset they knew they would change, all in the name of transparency and flexibility. The reason I can see that is that I was paying attention. Just like I was back in the Solheim litigation days.

A good boss that wants you to do three things won't just give you three things to do. She will give you six things that need to be done, and the two of you will discuss and negotiate a compromise where you only have to do half of the things you're given by the end of the week. You feel good because you negotiated a reasonable compromise from six down to three. She feels good because you're going to do the three things she wanted you to do in the first place. That's transparency and flexibility. And to some extent, leadership.

If I get you right, you're saying that you knew the Ruling Bodies had plans to float a few specific rules that they already planned to revise, just to fool us. Based on what you know of corporate "tactics", not on any actual knowledge. OK, that's an opinion. I can't give your opinion very much weight, given the lack of specific knowledge, but its your opinion.

And in the end you're saying that the USGA and R&A have displayed leadership throughout the process of revising the rules? Thank you.

AND!!!....wait for it....

There were threads on a golf forum discussing the proposed rule changes! Oh, the humanity.

AND!!!....wait for it....

There were threads on a golf forum discussing the proposed rule changes! Oh, the humanity.

Apparently they didn't send personalized invitations to Rickie or to Justin. They're busy taking boat rides around the Caribbean, you can't expect them to keep track of these kinds of things. They take a month off, come back to work in Hawaii, and BAM, someone springs all these new rules on them!

I'm really trying to figure out which of the new rules the pros seem to hate is the hardest to understand and comply with.

3. Telling the caddie not to be behind the player when he's ready to line up for the shot.

Really tough choice but since #3 has the most words in it, it must be #3. :cheesy:

It is close, but I think rule #3 in your list has nipped more players vs the improper drop. With few exceptions, these tour players best skill outside of golf is folding sweaters, however, with this new crop of millennials who never really worked and think getting a ruling is the default template for knowing the rules of golf, this stuff is really complicated. Dropping from new height?!?! What?!?! How do I do that and still look athletic? Waaaaaaahhhh.....Daddy!!!...Mom!

It is close, but I think rule #3 in your list has nipped more players vs the improper drop. With few exceptions, these tour players best skill outside of golf is folding sweaters, however, with this new crop of millennials who never really worked and think getting a ruling is the default template for knowing the rules of golf, this stuff is really complicated. Dropping from new height?!?! What?!?! How do I do that and still look athletic? Waaaaaaahhhh.....Daddy!!!...Mom!

The PGA Tour separated from the PGA of America in the late 1960's specifically so that Tour players didn't have to pass the sweater-folding class.

Quick, you're playing the last hole at all square in a fourball match to win the calcutta at your club's Member-Guest. Your partner stands behind you while you're getting set up to hit to the green. Does the rule only apply to the Pro tours?

If you think they have a s*** about a member guest Calcutta when writing that rule then I want what you and the USGA are smoking.

Also, find in that clarification anything about playing partners being “caddies” and then the decision for it. Cause I see nothing in R&A rule 10 or in the USGA’s newest clarification about that.

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

The obvious difference is that those organizations created their professional sport while the sport itself was still very young.

Not so with golf.

The PGA Tour came into existence many years after golf was already well established. It evolved "naturally" by the best of the best playing by the same/only set of Rules.

But you probably already knew all that.

Titleist Pro V1X

He meant "minions". :taunt:

Minions_characters.png

Titleist Pro V1X