2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

USGA PR team to Justin Thomas: "We need to talk"

ZNDavis

Thomas and Fowler just look silly with the whining and frankly, come off pretty spoiled and "entitled". Just leveraging their own perceptions of their popularity and getting in their licks.

The rules are so hard (excuse us we haven't bothered to read or learn them even though they govern our sport), wah, wah.

Having said that, someone at the USGA looking about as dumb as Ted Bishop taking after Poulter a few years ago.

Even the USGA apparently has to learn that when you are mostly on the right side of the issue (at least with these two) it is still a good idea to stick to the high ground.

Sorry Hawk but I'm still laughing at Rickie threatening to crap that ball back in play.

rickie-fowler-golf-rule-changes-honda-classic-960x540.jpg

This is what I don't get. There is absolutely nothing funny about this. It's as classless and disrespectful as it gets.

And surely not a one of us on here would have thought it was funny if our son had done this playing in a junior tournament. I know I would have yanked my son's a** off the course if he had done this and my dad would have done the same to me.

I don’t know. I laughed pretty hard when I saw it first.

That being said. I’m strict and I’d probably be less than pleased if it were my son. But. If it were my son Rickie maybe not ? He’s about as respectful and level headed as any young man on earth . When you push the quiet “ yes ma’am “ guy to this , what does that say ? It tells me that there’s more to the story than his penalty. I’d bet anything words of wisdom have been exchanged between him JT and mr Davis.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual "the usga rejects reality and substitutes their own."

Not unlike a lot people who view the USGA as the "villain".

As they say, the truth is pretty much always in the middle. Neither the USGA nor the players are totally right nor totally wrong.

I generally agree, but on the USGA's tweet and then retraction, After further and more direct conversations with @JustinThomas34, we realize he did not avoid a discussion with the USGA nor cancel any meetings. So it's tough to see something in the middle of that particular issue.

I said it before, either JT or the USGA was going to have to back off a bit if they're going to avoid a much bigger confrontation. For married guys, have you ever accepted blame for something you were on the right side of, in the cause of marital harmony? I don't know the real truth, none of us do. I'd ask Justin, during the three weeks when you were "too busy", did you ever TRY to communicate with the USGA, or did you just take 30 seconds at a shot to complain about them NOT communicating? I think Justin is at least partly to blame, but the USGA sucked it up to start the process moving forward. That's my guess, and I probably know just as few of the facts as anyone else here does.

Be cool if the players boned up on the rules and had a limit on the amount of times they were allowed to call a rules official per season. Maybe 6 times? Once they're used up, they have to apply the rule as they know it. I would also like to see the word "infraction" used a lot more.

wouldnt that mean that not much gets Called? Can't use slow mo or zoom anymore to call penalties. So all you catch is the improper drop and what ?

Asking players to also be officials is pretty dumb. They don't call for officials because they don't know. They call generally to " certify " the ruling. Except when the officials in the trailer want to over rule the walking official. Lol. Forcing any group of players to police themselves at any level is literally a recipe for imploding the game itself.

Quoting an Andrew Landry (PGA Tour Pro) tweet

We call in rules officials on everything now because the rules have changed so much that we don’t even know them anymore. We don’t want to have instances where we sign a wrong scorecard and get disqualified

Apparently nobody ever told Andrew that even LAST year he wouldn't get a DQ for a wrong scorecard.Andrew. Later in the same thread, Andrew admits that he doesn't have a copy of the rules with him when he plays.

There is so much kindergarten behavior here on all sides. This whole situation is beyond embarrassing, for all involved.

BTW, I'd love to see Fowler pull that ridiculous "drop" form at the Masters....

Yeah Rickie simulating crap/drop after hitting in water on 15 while in the background Phil running after a putt on 16 green and Kelly Kraft laughing at the both on em on 17 tee in his form fitting capri pants.

Thomas and Fowler just look silly with the whining and frankly, come off pretty spoiled and "entitled". Just leveraging their own perceptions of their popularity and getting in their licks.

The rules are so hard (excuse us we haven't bothered to read or learn them even though they govern our sport), wah, wah.

Having said that, someone at the USGA looking about as dumb as Ted Bishop taking after Poulter a few years ago.

Even the USGA apparently has to learn that when you are mostly on the right side of the issue (at least with these two) it is still a good idea to stick to the high ground.

Yes, no one is coming out of this looking very good.

But the USGA is already building on less than stellar reputation or track record over the last few years.

Be cool if the players boned up on the rules and had a limit on the amount of times they were allowed to call a rules official per season. Maybe 6 times? Once they're used up, they have to apply the rule as they know it. I would also like to see the word "infraction" used a lot more.

wouldnt that mean that not much gets Called? Can’t use slow mo or zoom anymore to call penalties. So all you catch is the improper drop and what ?

Asking players to also be officials is pretty dumb. They don’t call for officials because they don’t know. They call generally to “ certify “ the ruling. Except when the officials in the trailer want to over rule the walking official. Lol. Forcing any group of players to police themselves at any level is literally a recipe for imploding the game itself.

It only makes sense they always call an official. Then they’re safe. That’s just smart on the players part.

I said it before, either JT or the USGA was going to have to back off a bit if they're going to avoid a much bigger confrontation. For married guys, have you ever accepted blame for something you were on the right side of, in the cause of marital harmony? I don't know the real truth, none of us do. I'd ask Justin, during the three weeks when you were "too busy", did you ever TRY to communicate with the USGA, or did you just take 30 seconds at a shot to complain about them NOT communicating? I think Justin is at least partly to blame, but the USGA sucked it up to start the process moving forward. That's my guess, and I probably know just as few of the facts as anyone else here does.

I know I have taken the blame before to smooth things over with clients before, even though I believed the fault was theirs.

wouldnt that mean that not much gets Called? Can’t use slow mo or zoom anymore to call penalties. So all you catch is the improper drop and what ?

Asking players to also be officials is pretty dumb. They don’t call for officials because they don’t know. They call generally to “ certify “ the ruling. Except when the officials in the trailer want to over rule the walking official. Lol. Forcing any group of players to police themselves at any level is literally a recipe for imploding the game itself.

It only makes sense they always call an official. Then they’re safe. That’s just smart on the players part.

Yes sir. CYA. Always.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Yes sir. CYA. Always.

Absolutely. As long as we have all those damn replays (ruining sports in my opinion) no one is going to risk doing soemthing on their own.

Sorry Hawk but I'm still laughing at Rickie threatening to crap that ball back in play.

This is what I don't get. There is absolutely nothing funny about this. It's as classless and disrespectful as it gets.

And surely not a one of us on here would have thought it was funny if our son had done this playing in a junior tournament. I know I would have yanked my son's a** off the course if he had done this and my dad would have done the same to me.

I thought it was damn funny! Hell, even the tour official had to bite his lip to keep from laughing. We take ourselves way too serious sometimes.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I thought it was damn funny! Hell, even the tour official had to bite his lip to keep from laughing. We take ourselves way too serious sometimes.

As far as I’m aware that’s the most proactive thing Rick has done his whole career.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

As far as I’m aware that’s the most proactive thing Rick has done his whole career.

Probiotic.

In 2015, the USGA reported just over $200,000,000 in revenue. Of that 200 million, 140 million came in revenue from "Championships, including broadcast". I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the vast majority of the revenue comes from the US Open. I'm going to guess that they aren't raking in millions from the U.S. amateur four ball. So if they want to keep making their $500k salaries for doing nothing than I would think it would be in their best interests to not piss off their cash cows, the PGA tour players.

Without the US Open the USGA is essentially a worthless organization. I mean Mike Davis makes over 2 million a year. They have 12 other executives listed that all make between $250k - $500k a year. That can buy a boat load of martini's, just ask Diana Murphy.

Seriously what a racket. An organization that puts on a dozen golf tournaments a year, runs a mobile app that tracks handicaps and is in charge of the rules for a damn game is sitting on over $400,000,000 in liquid assets and pays their executives crazy sums of money. They fact that any individual would donate any of their hard earned money to them boggles my mind.

Long story short, I think the USGA would probably be better off not being so arrogant and condescending and just keep cashing those checks.

well this is interesting.

The replies to the @USGA_PR's tweet are hilarious. Not a good look for the USGA at all.

I have to admit. That maybe the funniest set of replies I've ever read.

" put it in reverse terry "!

Another guy says " how do I apply for the pr position that obviously just became open " ?

The photo of Joe West....

I'm trying to imagine HIM as a golf official, UGH!!!

Excuse me, that's Country Joe West.

In 2015, the USGA reported just over $200,000,000 in revenue. Of that 200 million, 140 million came in revenue from "Championships, including broadcast". I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the vast majority of the revenue comes from the US Open. I'm going to guess that they aren't raking in millions from the U.S. amateur four ball. So if they want to keep making their $500k salaries for doing nothing than I would think it would be in their best interests to not piss off their cash cows, the PGA tour players.

Without the US Open the USGA is essentially a worthless organization. I mean Mike Davis makes over 2 million a year. They have 12 other executives listed that all make between $250k - $500k a year. That can buy a boat load of martini's, just ask Diana Murphy.

Seriously what a racket. An organization that puts on a dozen golf tournaments a year, runs a mobile app that tracks handicaps and is in charge of the rules for a damn game is sitting on over $400,000,000 in liquid assets and pays their executives crazy sums of money. They fact that any individual would donate any of their hard earned money to them boggles my mind.

Long story short, I think the USGA would probably be better off not being so arrogant and condescending and just keep cashing those checks.

I’m just going to sit back and enjoy this post for a while. Should garner some interesting responses. I’m not evening knocking the USGA for going out and getting that money - capitalism at its finest. I do, however, think you make a good point about where their revenue comes from.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I would be more interested to know what some of the player feedback was regarding the rules changes before they happened.

They had time to review the proposed changes and provide their feedback....but what if it wasn't taken into consideration? Hence the blow back?

The rules are the rules, i agree. But if the vast majority of the players don't agree/like the rules, are they not entitled to voice their opinion? What if JT has the majority support of players and is the unspoken voice? It is apparent that some players agree with his opinion (and I'm sure there are some that don't).

Post of the month for me.

$2M/year for this guy??

Damn! That’s some real coin for a guy who’s at the helm of a ship that’s quickly sinking and losing more credibility each day. We’re at the stage now where they are so desperate that they outright lied about JT and their interactions w him.

If this game is all about integrity and ethics, shouldn’t the management team all be fired??

What rules are causing the most consternation? I can see two - the drop from the knee and the caddies lining up their players. Have I missed any others? Seems strange to me that something so easily changed is causing so much grief.

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

Post of the year.

Lock the thread. :)

Mike Davis wouldn't be able to hold down a middle management job at the Dollar Store. That he's paid $2 million a year by the USGA is truly astounding.

But, but, but, they've made the rules in the US for over a hundred years! Nothing could ever change that, right?

Great post.

Agreed. No doubt there is blame on both sides, The USGA should have taken the high road vis-a-vis JT.

But that & other unfortunate incidents don't make Mike Davis and/or the USGA the second coming of Attila the Hun.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

What rules are causing the most consternation? I can see two - the drop from the knee and the caddies lining up their players. Have I missed any others? Seems strange to me that something so easily changed is causing so much grief.

People are sensitive to change. And being dictated to. Whether real or perceived, people revolt. The People will no longer be silenced. Attica Attica Attica Attica!

This might be the thing that drives the PGA Tour away from the USGA and to their own set of modified rules.

https://twitter.com/RexHoggardGC/status/1102721489181294597/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1102721489181294597&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.golfchannel.com%2Fnews%2Fjay-monahan-sends-memo-pga-tour-pros-regarding-rules-golf-pushback

Does this sound like the PGA is going away from the USGA ?

Or do you believe this is akin to a "vote of confidence" from a baseball owner about his manager ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

This might be the thing that drives the PGA Tour away from the USGA and to their own set of modified rules.

https://twitter.com/RexHoggardGC/status/1102721489181294597/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1102721489181294597&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.golfchannel.com%2Fnews%2Fjay-monahan-sends-memo-pga-tour-pros-regarding-rules-golf-pushback

Does this sound like the PGA is going away from the USGA ?

Or do you believe this is akin to a "vote of confidence" from a baseball owner about his manager ?

Good question. I just think at some point if enough tour players band together, as a group they can maybe force some changes. Maybe?

I’m sure right now everyone is (Tour, USGA, R&A) is trying to present a united front and hoping the turmoil will die down and go away as everyone gets accustomed to the changes.

Just pure speculation on my part.

well this is interesting.

They’re going to say whatever they can now to make this go away. I’d love to hear a candid interview with whoever from the USGA sent that original tweet. It won’t happen as that person I’m sure is lucky if they’re even still employed at this point. I guarantee you what he or she tweeted was very close to if not the dead on truth.