2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

USGA PR team to Justin Thomas: "We need to talk"

ZNDavis

The USGA shows just how arrogant they are in how they drafted the tweet. "Justin, we need to talk." Like a father would say to his 16 year old who snuck out of the house at night.

They easily could have said "Justin, we'd like to talk," but they can't help themselves. They are inherently condescending.

Justin had avoided all communication, like a petulant teenager locking himself in his room. He deserved the treatment he got.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m sick of this whole thing. The new rules aren’t hard, and if you care to listen to the rationalization for them, they make sense. If you just think the USGA screws up everything they touch, then you’re never going to be happy, anyway.

You don’t see anyone complaining about getting to tap down spike marks, or being penalized for inadvertently touching the sand in a bunker or any of the other changes that make life easier for the player. Those, apparently, are perfectly reasonable. The one that affects the player’s ability to place the ball more often isn’t popular. Shocking.

Given that JT seems to have tried pretty hard not to sit down with the USGA, his tweet was completely disingenuous and I have zero issue with the USGA pointing it out. This who gets to poke who stuff is just nonsense. You want to handle this in public? Fine, then it’ll get handled in public. JT wants to complain without taking on any responsibility.

Rickie and JT seem to think that the new drop rule makes the game look stupid. What make the game mockable is a bunch of millionaires complaining about a simple rule change. Bend from the waist instead of curtsying, caddies move away before the player takes his stance. It might be different, but it’s not hard.

I don't think anyone of sound mind would disagree, but JT gets to. That's the reality. He has the platform. In any power dynamic, we can all say what ought to be. Effective and respected governing bodies should pay more attention to what is. It's far less about who is correct than it is about who recognizes respective roles in the relationship. The USGA has demonstrated that it might require some better guidance in this situation.

EDIT: When Clay Matthews got called a few times for roughing the passer early last season and was vocal about how the new rule wasn't great, did the NFL's (the organization that actually makes the rules for the league, mind you) official Twitter single him out and say things like "we need to talk"? Honest question, because I don't know.

Not sure this has been asked yet, or answered....but is there any kind of details as to what meetings they are referring to? I assume Justin Thomas doesn't meet with the entire USGA management team, so who were the meetings scheduled with? How many was there that were cancelled? Were these like official meetings or just things where a rep called his reps and things didn't work out?

Did Justin cancel like 6 meetings that were legit booked with time and places with USGA officials?

All of this stuff is kinda important if you're a big organization and making tweets that a 16 year old would make. At least in my opinion.

I'd be interested in seeing Thomas respond to that part of the tweet

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Not sure this has been asked yet, or answered....but is there any kind of details as to what meetings they are referring to? I assume Justin Thomas doesn't meet with the entire USGA management team, so who were the meetings scheduled with? How many was there that were cancelled? Were these like official meetings or just things where a rep called his reps and things didn't work out?

Did Justin cancel like 6 meetings that were legit booked with time and places with USGA officials?

All of this stuff is kinda important if you're a big organization and making tweets that a 16 year old would make. At least in my opinion.

Very important question(s). Great post.

I’m sick of this whole thing. The new rules aren’t hard, and if you care to listen to the rationalization for them, they make sense. If you just think the USGA screws up everything they touch, then you’re never going to be happy, anyway.

You don’t see anyone complaining about getting to tap down spike marks, or being penalized for inadvertently touching the sand in a bunker or any of the other changes that make life easier for the player. Those, apparently, are perfectly reasonable. The one that affects the player’s ability to place the ball more often isn’t popular. Shocking.

Given that JT seems to have tried pretty hard not to sit down with the USGA, his tweet was completely disingenuous and I have zero issue with the USGA pointing it out. This who gets to poke who stuff is just nonsense. You want to handle this in public? Fine, then it’ll get handled in public. JT wants to complain without taking on any responsibility.

Rickie and JT seem to think that the new drop rule makes the game look stupid. What make the game mockable is a bunch of millionaires complaining about a simple rule change. Bend from the waist instead of curtsying, caddies move away before the player takes his stance. It might be different, but it’s not hard.

tenor.gif?itemid=5404465

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Very important question(s). Great post.

Schedule the meeting Monday night during Player's Championship week, all the top pros and all the USGA brass. Lock them in a room and get it sorted.

With each passing day I like Rocco and Tom Watson more and more. These "pros" whining is pathetic.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

JT's side.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/justin-thomas-usga-pr-tweet-was-inaccurate-and-really-hurt-me

JT going after it...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/39142347

Thomas fired back, making a reference to the two-penalty assessed against Denny McCarthy during Round 2 of Waste Management Phoenix Open.

"Really? Because last I checked in PHX my pointing out what happened to Denny went viral... and the rule was changed. Pretty sad the world we live in nowadays is all based off social media. But that's how a lot of things get done. I (and others) are doing as much as we can to help," Thomas posted on Twitter

McCarthy was penalized under Rule 10.2b(4), which does not allow caddies to stand behind players as they line up. The PGA Tour, however, rescinded the penalty a day later.

JT's side.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/justin-thomas-usga-pr-tweet-was-inaccurate-and-really-hurt-me

So his side is that they couldn't schedule a couple of conference calls? And these were the "cancelled meetings"

Oh geez...

If true, bravo USGA for humiliating yourself yet again.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I don't think anyone of sound mind would disagree, but JT gets to. That's the reality. He has the platform. In any power dynamic, we can all say what ought to be. Effective and respected governing bodies should pay more attention to what is. It's far less about who is correct than it is about who recognizes respective roles in the relationship. The USGA has demonstrated that it might require some better guidance in this situation.

EDIT: When Clay Matthews got called a few times for roughing the passer early last season and was vocal about how the new rule wasn't great, did the NFL's (the organization that actually makes the rules for the league, mind you) official Twitter single him out and say things like "we need to talk"? Honest question, because I don't know.

I don't know the Clay Matthews answer either but I do recall him saying the rules changes were stupid and he'd keep playing the way he always has.

Out of touch as are the golf pros.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I'm sick of this whole thing. The new rules aren't hard, and if you care to listen to the rationalization for them, they make sense. If you just think the USGA screws up everything they touch, then you're never going to be happy, anyway.

You don't see anyone complaining about getting to tap down spike marks, or being penalized for inadvertently touching the sand in a bunker or any of the other changes that make life easier for the player. Those, apparently, are perfectly reasonable. The one that affects the player's ability to place the ball more often isn't popular. Shocking.

Given that JT seems to have tried pretty hard not to sit down with the USGA, his tweet was completely disingenuous and I have zero issue with the USGA pointing it out. This who gets to poke who stuff is just nonsense. You want to handle this in public? Fine, then it'll get handled in public. JT wants to complain without taking on any responsibility.

Rickie and JT seem to think that the new drop rule makes the game look stupid. What make the game mockable is a bunch of millionaires complaining about a simple rule change. Bend from the waist instead of curtsying, caddies move away before the player takes his stance. It might be different, but it's not hard.

I don't know the Clay Matthews answer either but I do recall him saying the rules changes were stupid and he'd keep playing the way he always has.

For sure. 100%. But the actions of the governing body are the issue.

JT's side.

https://www.golfchan...-really-hurt-me

So his side is that they couldn't schedule a couple of conference calls? And these were the "cancelled meetings"

Oh geez...

If true, bravo USGA for humiliating yourself yet again.

"Cancelled every meeting".

What a look, USGA. What. A. Look.

At some point these players just need to zip it and play golf. Rules are rules. So what if you don't like them. There are plenty of other players who aren't complaining all the time like JT. Go dig ditches for a living if you don't like it.

http://youtu.be/8i5OrcxwFUA

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I'm sick of this whole thing. The new rules aren't hard, and if you care to listen to the rationalization for them, they make sense. If you just think the USGA screws up everything they touch, then you're never going to be happy, anyway.

You don't see anyone complaining about getting to tap down spike marks, or being penalized for inadvertently touching the sand in a bunker or any of the other changes that make life easier for the player. Those, apparently, are perfectly reasonable. The one that affects the player's ability to place the ball more often isn't popular. Shocking.

Given that JT seems to have tried pretty hard not to sit down with the USGA, his tweet was completely disingenuous and I have zero issue with the USGA pointing it out. This who gets to poke who stuff is just nonsense. You want to handle this in public? Fine, then it'll get handled in public. JT wants to complain without taking on any responsibility.

Rickie and JT seem to think that the new drop rule makes the game look stupid. What make the game mockable is a bunch of millionaires complaining about a simple rule change. Bend from the waist instead of curtsying, caddies move away before the player takes his stance. It might be different, but it's not hard.

I wonder how many times the sentence "I ain't paid to know rules, I'm paid to hit shots" has been uttered in the last ten weeks in PGA Tour locker rooms.

The USGA shows just how arrogant they are in how they drafted the tweet. "Justin, we need to talk." Like a father would say to his 16 year old who snuck out of the house at night.

They easily could have said "Justin, we'd like to talk," but they can't help themselves. They are inherently condescending.

Justin had avoided all communication, like a petulant teenager locking himself in his room. He deserved the treatment he got.

So, he's a liar?

If that is really the USGAs words its disappointing.

Thats hardly the way to handle it. That rivals some of the strong arm tactics we see be leaders today. Rather than address the issue or admit any shortcoming ... they take to public shaming or whatever you want to call this. Knowing that Thomas cant really speak freely coming back .

The correct approach would be to reach out to him privately and try to put it to bed. If speaking publicly it should be to discuss why folks are griping. Not to try to bully someone into not complaining. It doesnt matter which side is correct. Name calling ( or passive aggressive nonsense ) never solves anything.

That’s what you get when 15th is running the social media for the USGA

Hard to have an opinion until I know if that’s a real USga account or not.

Being reported in Golf Digest.

https://www.golfdige...gram_publishing

If that is really the USGAs words it’s disappointing.

That’s hardly the way to handle it. That rivals some of the strong arm tactics we see be leaders today. Rather than address the issue or admit any shortcoming ... they take to public shaming or whatever you want to call this. Knowing that Thomas can’t really speak freely coming back .

The correct approach would be to reach out to him privately and try to put it to bed. If speaking publicly it should be to discuss why folks are griping. Not to try to bully someone into not complaining. It doesn’t matter which side is correct. Name calling ( or passive aggressive nonsense ) never solves anything.

That’s what you get when 15th is running the social media for the USGA

Be careful! He who shall not be named will show up and bury us with pomposity and arrogance.

So, he's a liar?

Dave seems to be privy to inside knowledge.

So, he's a liar?

Nope, just as spinny as my ProV1x. USGA too.

Wasn't available to take the calls = Cancelled meetings. Whatever,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lazy2:

Titleist Pro V1X

The USGA is a disgrace.

But your current avatar is pure class, yes ? :lol:

The irony is thick around here lately,,,,,,,,,,,,,

photo-390892.jpg?_r=1551510222

Titleist Pro V1X

This whole brouhaha over the rules make the players look like petulant, entitle country club kids (which, in JTs case, probably hits close to home). The rules are NOT hard to understand. If they can't understand them, then maybe they should force the PGA/USGA to give them access to a rules official at any time. Oh wait, they already do.

If they have a problem with the caddy lining them up rule, simply change your routine. Talk to your caddy to the side of your line; tell your caddy to get the F out of the line when you start your setup, etc. This is beyond ridiculous. The only change I'd make is change the drop to "between the waist and knee" so guys don't have to bend over - simple.

So, he's a liar?

Dave seems to be privy to inside knowledge.

Agreed. Which is why I asked. JT says he has communicated. Dave says JT has avoided "all communication". Both can't be true.

A USGA PR social media account...somehow that strikes me as ironic.

Ummmmmm,,,,,,,, "public relations" using social media. What's "ironic" about that ? :blink:

Well, guess it depends on your opinion of the USGA and their PR. From my perspective, they just can’t stop shooting themselves in the foot...their PR is somewhat poor. But what do I know...

No, it doesn't depend on anything.

Their PR may be poor but there's nothing ironic about public relations and using social media. ;)

Titleist Pro V1X

So, he's a liar?

Nope, just as spinny as my ProV1x. USGA too.

Wasn't available to take the calls = Cancelled meetings. Whatever,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lazy2:

So, JT is lying when he says he has communicated, right?